What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

I've been on a huge Grateful Dead kick for whatever reason. This stuff used to sound awful to me. I have no idea why it sounds so good now.

Also going through a lot of Jazz via the Blue Note records recordings. It's weird that these old Jazz records sound way more experimental and creative than the vast majority of music released these days.
myrrhman

Post by myrrhman »

OmegaFlareX wrote: Finally got around to listening to this.

Overall, this was some really complex and creative stuff. I acknowledge its fans' perceived greatness. Unfortunately, the sketchy openers and utterly experimental nature lead me to conclude that it's not really for me. However, I think that with some more listens, I could learn to love it. In an online game a couple years ago, I met a fan of this band called Mew, who pointed me in their direction, and I came up with a similar conclusion to this album. The issue is, I don't really have motivation to explore further. Maybe if I had a significant other who liked them, I could be a fan as well.
If you're not a fan of the experimental bits but enjoy the overall vibe, you might like Unwound's earlier (and more conventional) work. They had a pretty linear transition between 'hardcore punk' and 'experimental post-rock' so they're at their most punkish on their first and second albums: Fake Train and New Plastic Ideas. I think they struck a nice balance of styles on Repetition, probably their most famous album before we started forming a cult around Leaves Turn Inside You online.

Some of the tracks you mentioned liking remind me a lot of early Tindersticks (their first album) but their vocalist is really hard to get into if you don't like baritone vocals. Built To Spill's Perfect From Now On shares a lot of DNA (including the same producer!) but definitely drops a lot of the post-rock edge for more conventional Neil Young-esque jamming--if that's your kinda thing. Interpol's first album Turn on the Bright Lights has some of the same early 2000s vibes, but with more consistently manic presentation. Slint's Spiderland maintains the more sombre gothic vibes but with less experimentation as well.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:I've been on a huge Grateful Dead kick for whatever reason. This stuff used to sound awful to me. I have no idea why it sounds so good now.
It's one of those things. I know a ton of people that suddenly started getting into the dead later in life. I'm strangely resistant to it, but I get the draw; they aren't always the absolute best technically, but they are incredibly tight, and they can maintain that through ridiculously long jam sessions. I think most people I know got into them that way (through the live stuff), just because it's so damn impressive and it flows really well
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Sometimes the Lord calls me:
Spoiler
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:I've been on a huge Grateful Dead kick for whatever reason. This stuff used to sound awful to me. I have no idea why it sounds so good now.

Also going through a lot of Jazz via the Blue Note records recordings. It's weird that these old Jazz records sound way more experimental and creative than the vast majority of music released these days.
It's an illusion at best that one's lifetime is enough time to get any real idea of "vast majority of music" released ANY days. I listen to jazz most casually via Polish Radio 2 where, broadly speaking, improvised music, also jazz from just about any period of jazz recordings is largely represented, and there is so much of it all, old and new, that I'd lost any idea of "these days music" profile, worldwide-wise.
I for one am still much submersed in early and Baroque music (not only European! - there was Baroque present elsewhere), and so much of it keeps getting recorded for the ever-first time or so, that it's practically these-days music to me.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

LiamEvans210 wrote:I recently watched The Northman and I'm surprised at how well it's rated by both critics and the audience alike. I thought it was disordered with badly choreographed fight scenes. Maybe I'll like it if I rewatch it.
wrong box

I've been listening to Buggles second album, Adventures in Modern Recording. Not sure what to say about it other than it's an acquired taste. Most people seem to like Video Killed the Radio Star, but stop there. I love Trevor Horn, so I was fully on board for their second outing. For those that aren't following me, Horn was mainly a producer who was famous for Owners of A Lonely Heart era Yes, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Seal, and Grace Jones, but he had his own thing with Geoff Downs who left Buggles to form Asia with Palmer from ELP. So basically Buggles is progressive pop rock with lots of Fairlight synths and gated drums. There are a handful of tracks on both Buggles albums that feel absolutely timeless and there's nothing else like it

blackoak

Post by blackoak »

vol.2 wrote:I've been listening to Buggles second album, Adventures in Modern Recording. Not sure what to say about it other than it's an acquired taste. [...] So basically Buggles is progressive pop rock with lots of Fairlight synths and gated drums. There are a handful of tracks on both Buggles albums that feel absolutely timeless and there's nothing else like it
haha, you've convinced me to give this a try. their work with Yes intrigued me somewhat and i always wondered how their own material sounded.

atm i'm listening Gescom's key nell ep from 1996 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfNurFtnuu8). autechre's side project/collab with unknown other friends/artist. although the agglutinative, additive form for most of the songs becomes a bit predictable and is transparent after awhile, i still like these tracks and consider them stellar examples of this style. i like the balance between droning layers that still manage to evolve into some pretty interesting stuff (track 2's mid-point being a good example). nice stuff if you like anvil vapre/amber era autechre. i wonder if the collaboration involved exchanging project files remotely, adding layers one by one, that kind of back and forth. or maybe they were done in-studio but with the same basic idea. that's how it sounds to me (edited live jams is another possibility)
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

blackoak wrote: atm i'm listening Gescom's key nell ep from 1996 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfNurFtnuu8). autechre's side project/collab with unknown other friends/artist. although the agglutinative, additive form for most of the songs becomes a bit predictable and is transparent after awhile, i still like these tracks and consider them stellar examples of this style
whoa. no way. this is awesome. track 2 is like autechre meets merzbow. fukken cool 8)

nice stuff if you like anvil vapre/amber era autechre
amber is one of my favorite albums hands down

can't believe i haven't heard this before. the way they are incorporating noise into idm is very outside of the mainstream from that time, more like early 2000s
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

РАДОСТЬ МОЯ - Унывай душа моя
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7FEeThKdqY

Bath Time.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Pentangle are sort of new to me. Seem to be having a new push of recognition, or at least their official YouTube page has been putting out more old performances lately.
Late 60s early 70s folk rock jazz with devine vocals.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Something from this decade if you're tired of recycling what you got for comfort.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aJOR5eVtm ... YXJkZW4%3D

And, something for comfort. :mrgreen:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uoZgZT4DG ... MgaGFja2Vy
We apologise for the inconvenience
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Old Jazz rules. The drumming is so awesome!

https://youtu.be/rhQ6kPA1bIE
BIL

Post by BIL »

I normally don't care for mashups and the like, but Bill McClintock has some fuckin chops. :shock: Tends towards metal/rock x R&B/soul.

> I Was Made For Boogie Wonderland (KISS x Earth, Wind and Fire)

> Let's Get Bleeding (Marvin Gaye x Five Finger Death Punch)

> Electric Sex Machine (James Brown x Judas Priest)

Guy has a gift for this stuff.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I'm going through Madonna's 80's work. This woman was utterly fantastic.
We were on it with entertainment and art in the 80's. My god.

I also stumbled on one I used to adore as a kid. My mother used to play this all the time driving me to school and such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v8YragSIuI
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:45 pm Old Jazz rules. The drumming is so awesome!

https://youtu.be/rhQ6kPA1bIE
Everyone talks about Speak No Evil, but this is my favorite Wayne Shorter album.

I love the old 50s and 60s jazz records (except the weird Ornette Coleman-inspired stuff; hard bop is where it's at). To me it's crazy how so few of these albums get talked about these days: Grant Green, Freddie Hubbard, Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan, Horace Silver, Sonny Rollins, etc. If anyone does mention that they like this period of jazz, they typically only know Miles Davis and John Coltrane, who, while fantastic, of course, are just two of scores of fantastic players.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

blackoak wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:25 am
vol.2 wrote:I've been listening to Buggles second album, Adventures in Modern Recording. Not sure what to say about it other than it's an acquired taste. [...] So basically Buggles is progressive pop rock with lots of Fairlight synths and gated drums. There are a handful of tracks on both Buggles albums that feel absolutely timeless and there's nothing else like it
haha, you've convinced me to give this a try. their work with Yes intrigued me somewhat and i always wondered how their own material sounded.

atm i'm listening Gescom's key nell ep from 1996 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfNurFtnuu8). autechre's side project/collab with unknown other friends/artist. although the agglutinative, additive form for most of the songs becomes a bit predictable and is transparent after awhile, i still like these tracks and consider them stellar examples of this style. i like the balance between droning layers that still manage to evolve into some pretty interesting stuff (track 2's mid-point being a good example). nice stuff if you like anvil vapre/amber era autechre. i wonder if the collaboration involved exchanging project files remotely, adding layers one by one, that kind of back and forth. or maybe they were done in-studio but with the same basic idea. that's how it sounds to me (edited live jams is another possibility)
key nell owns. gescom is so weird, skull snap and the one before that especially so
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lINgORXJlrQ

[RR7] Boyd Jarvis - Don't Deny Love (Main Vocal Mix ; MG Edit)
NYN

xx more days to

Post by NYN »

Chariots of Pumpkins, the teaser for the new Carpenter album Anthology II: Movie Themes 1976 - 1988, which features some of The Thing pieces. Dig the animation for "Chariots"...But how? Trade secrets!
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

mycophobia wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:35 pm key nell owns. gescom is so weird, skull snap and the one before that especially so
Lego Feet is also a fun one
NYN

saint this bridge

Post by NYN »

69th St. Bridge (Official Visualizer)

First: well...
Second: huh?
Third: d-d-dang
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Four new Mclusky songs dropped. They're alright.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Aha - Take on me (unplugged). Good god, what a voice.