Monthly Videogame Quiz

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
guigui

Re: Monthly Videogame Quiz

Post by guigui »

Mischief Maker wrote:Ooh! #24 looks cool.
You mean #23, don't you ? Not even being able to read a number while staring at something else is a common issue, no worry.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Hmmm… Aren’t those supposed to be sorted from easiest to hardest? Number 25 was actually the first one I immediately recognized. Number 18 is tricky, because this screen looks a lot different depending on the port. I did guess it correctly early, but kept checking screenshots from the wrong systems for confirmation. In general, I seem to have an easier time recognizing obscure old games as opposed to popular newer ones.

I’m currently at 15/25. Still have no idea what some of them could possibly be.
Mr_Horizon

February Quiz - Clues #1

Post by Mr_Horizon »

February Quiz - Clues #1

Fifty people are already roaming the various open worlds of this round. @Herr Schatten, I had expected #25 to be quite difficult as the picture is just a random building somewhere... it has an answer rate of 18% for now. Good for you that you saw it right away, a fan of the series? ;)

Well, it seems like someone somewhere climbed a tower to unlock new clues yet, so let me deliver... :)

Here are the first clues:

1) The 12, 15 (and three titles from the last row) are controlled from the first person perspective - and there is shooting in all of them (sometimes more, sometimes less).
2) This round is surprisingly "new", a total of eight games are from the current decade.
3) Attention dear players, title 18 is not by Sid Meier. ;)
4) Number 20 is the only game from the 80s, it never got released on console.

Deadline is Tuesday the 28th of February, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here's the quiz again: https://i.imgur.com/N94QQz5.png
Herr Schatten

Re: February Quiz - Clues #1

Post by Herr Schatten »

Mr_Horizon wrote:@Herr Schatten, I had expected #25 to be quite difficult as the picture is just a random building somewhere... it has an answer rate of 18% for now. Good for you that you saw it right away, a fan of the series? ;)
Not at all. I haven’t played any of the games in the series, actually. But I found the shape of the buildings quite memorable, and I did remember them from magazine screenshots back in the day. Additionally, you don’t often see birch trees in games for some reason, so that’s another thing that adds to the uniqueness and helps identifying the game in question.

I’m pretty confident I have identified 21/25 games so far. Sadly, the clues don’t help me much. Will there be another round of those before the deadline?
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

February Quiz - Clues #2

This Open World is filling up, now there are already seventy players! Of those, nobody is from this community. :/ In total it's not quite MMO size yet, but we'll get into triple digits for sure. :)
Watch out, this month is short... the round will be over next Wednesday. So get moving and deal with those last remaining quest markers, there are only a few days left.

Here come the second & last clues:

1) SEGA was involved in two games, though not in #1.
2) Game 14 is the only N64 title in this round.
3) From the beginning it was clear that the developers of game 10 had copied generously from the last Zelda.
4) One of the most famous space game series of all time, number 13 shows an entry from the 90s.

Deadline is next Tuesday (28th February), enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here is the quiz again: https://i.imgur.com/N94QQz5.png
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Open world is another genre I'm not at all familiar with, so I needed every hint I could get...and still ended up with lots of blanks and wild guesses. Still in it though, looking to repeat my "clueless but persistent" showing from last year!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

BulletMagnet wrote:Open world is another genre I'm not at all familiar with, so I needed every hint I could get...
I’m in the same boat. If "open world" shows up in a game's description, it usually makes me lose interest immediately. I was waiting for the second round of clues to drop, but unfortunately, they only were about entries I already had found out, so they were no help at all. Still, I’ve entered my answers now. I’m very curious to see the solution.
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

about the future of this quiz series

By the time this year is over, I will have organised these video game quizzes for a full decade. (ok, the shmups forum has only been a part of it for one year).

I wouldn't have thought that a hobby I started once in a melancholy winter (actually just to distract myself) would accompany me for such a long time - and this year it will be exactly 100 episodes.

That's such a nice round number, I'd like to leave it at that... which means that my quiz series will come to an end this year.

A better programmer would have automated it all with scripts, a better businessman would have monetised it somehow... I'm none of those things, unfortunately, and the effort is just too much in the long run. So I hope we can all have fun with the last ten episodes this year before I start looking for a new hobby in December. :)

...and about the current round:
114 people are already on it, two from here.
Today (28.2.), is the last day before the deadline... so it is time to join the last February quiz: http://www.retrogamequiz.com/
guigui

Post by guigui »

^ The other day I was precisely thinking how much of a time investment putting those quizz up might be for you.
Good job, and thanks for sharing this with us shmups community.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Mr_Horizon

February results

Post by Mr_Horizon »

February Quiz - Answers & Score

So, this is the last year I'm doing the monthly videogame quiz. That means you have just witnessed the very last February round! With over 150 players we also set a participation record. Was it the theme, or was it maybe easier than usual? Anyway, I'm happy and hope the remaining nine quizzes will be just as numerous! :)

Before we get started, here's a quick look at the vote: "how was your 2023 so far?"

That doesn't look too bad! More than half of you are doing well or very well, and a third say "average". That leaves about 13% who unfortunately didn't have a good start to the new year... I wish them a quick turnaround.

But now it's time for some answers... first the names of the games as text, then the pictures, then the high score table.

1) Grand Theft Auto 3
The protagonists of Shen Mue and GTA 3 both have dark hair, wear a brown leather jacket, blue jeans and white shoes. https://imgur.com/a/ucTMBbL Also, both titles are open world games played from a 3rd person perspective. Basically the same game! ^_^
Solution rate: 89%
Other suggestions: 10x Shenmue, Manhunt, flashback, Yakuza, Silent Hill

2) Assassins Creed
The white hoodie, the haystack - clearly must be a assassin in Jerusalem!
Solution rate: 96%
Other suggestions: The Witcher

3) Sonic Frontiers
Solution rate: 77%
Other suggestions: Far Cry, Halo, Final Fantasy XV, Bioshock Infinite, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Xenoblade Chronicles

4) Elden Ring
Solution rate: 82%
Other suggestions: Demons Souls, shadow of the collosus, Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls, Nier Automata, skyrim

5) Legend of Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom
Hey, everyone recognised Zelda! And how many actually recognised Tears of the Kingdom? That was only 34% of you. ;)
Solution rate: 100%
Other suggestions: -

6) Marvel's Spider-Man
Solution rate: 79%
Other suggestions: Cyberpunk 2077, Deus ex, Portal, Raid Shadow Legends, Alpha Protocol, Crackdown

7) Pokemon Legends Arceus
Solution rate: 85%
Other suggestions: Dragon Quest, Genshin Impact, ni no kuni, Xenoblade Chronicles

8.) Saints Row the 3rd
Solution rate: 70%
Other suggestions: Destroy All Humans, GTA Online, Yakuza

9) Ghost of Tsushima
Solution rate: 72%
Other suggestions: Way of the Samurai, Nioh, Rise of the Ronin, Sekiro

10) Genshin Impact
The clue about "stolen from Breath of the Wild", made a lot of you think of Immortal phoenix rising.
Solution rate: 68%
Other suggestions: 16x Immortal phoenix rising, Ni no kuni, Xenoblade Chronicles, Dragon Quest XI, Final fantasy, Kid Icarus, Breath of the wild

11) Fallout 2
Solving rate: 60%
Other suggestions: Baldur's Gate, Diablo 2, Dungeons and Dragons, Planescape Torment, Time Commando, Ultima, Wasteland

12) Far Cry 3
"What? Huh? What, you want to run? You want to disrespect me? I mean you come here, with your pretty boy face, right, and your pretty boy phone, your dimwit brother, and you want to fuck with me?"
Solution rate: 38%
Other suggestions: 4x Uncharted, 4x Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls, Alpha Protocol, Atomic Hearts, GTA V, Hitman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous, Just Cause, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Mafia, the Last of Us, The Outer Worlds, witcher, Yakuza

13) Frontier - Elite 2
Solution rate: 58%
Other suggestions: 6x Wing Commander, Starfox, Chernoblyte, R type, Star Control 2, Star Trek

14) Body Harvest
Five times Blast Corps? It does look similar - but Open World is something else ;)
Solution rate: 60%
Other suggestions: 5x Blast Corps, Dragonball, Jet Force Gemini, Outcast, Star Fox 64

15) Stalker
Around Chernobyl you can discover all kinds of strange creatures in this series. Thematically quite similar to Metro and Fallout (the two most frequent wrong entries).
Solution rate: 34%
Other suggestions: 7x Metro, 5x Fallout, Borderlands, Doom, Rage, Scorn, Bioshock, Black Ops 2, Kill Zone, Neuroshima Hex Sharrash, Prey, Quake 4, The Evil Within.

16) Death Stranding
You guys were surprisingly sure this is a Star Wars game. Why, because of the laser/blaster/whatever beam?
Solution rate: 47%
Other suggestions: 9x Star Wars Fallen Order, 5x Star Wars, bloodborne, Dark Souls, Elden Ring, Fade to Silence, Prey, Remnant, Resident Evil Village, Sea of Solitude, Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Wild Hearts.

17) Gothic 2
Solution rate: 41%
Other suggestions: 10x the Elders Scroll (Morrowind & Oblivion), Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age, Thief, World Of Warcraft, Path of Exile, Prince of Persia 3, Risen 3, Sekiro, Skyrim, Fable 2, Guild Wars 2, Kingdom Come - Deliverance

18) Uncharted Waters 2 - New Horizons
No, not Pirates. ;)
Solution rate: 32%
Other suggestions: 15x Pirates, 4x Dragon quest, 4x Final Fantasy, Ultima, Port Royale, Settlers 2, Alundra, Terranigma, Golden Sun, High Seas Trader, Phantasy Star

19) Infamous
Solution rate: 40%
Other suggestions: 10x Star Wars - The Force Unleashed, Star Wars KOTOR, Metal Gear Rising, Metal Gear Solid, Vanquish, Final Fantasy, Last story, Mass Effect, Nier Automata, Prototype, Soul Reaver

20) the Seven Cities of Gold
Second hardest title of this round (after #24)
Solution rate: 12%
Other suggestions: Hydlide, Montezuma's Revenge, North vs South, Robinson Crusoe, The three Musketeers, Ultima I, Zulu

21) Shakedown Hawaii
Five people entered the prequel Retro City Rampage, that also gave one point.
Solution rate: 51%
Other suggestions: Golf Story, Dead Cells, Terraria, Thimbleweed Park, "Miami something"

22) Choo-Choo Charles
My favourite entry from a user (MikeBloke) who couldn't think of the name: "Is this the game with the train you have to run away from? Oh yeah the train is evil and goes off the tracks.".
Solution rate: 44%
Other suggestions: Final Fantasy, Metro, Fallout 3, The Division 2, Train Simulator

23) Anarchy Reigns
No, not Bayonetta! A quarter of you recognised the purple butt, be proud of yourselves ;)
Solution rate: 25%
Other suggestions: 13x Bayonetta, 4x Mass Effect, Xenoblade Chronicles, Tekken 7, Metal Gear Solid, Metroid Dread, Metroid Prime, Stellar Blade, Apex Legends, Arkham city, Cyperpunk, Deathverse - Let it Die

24) Starsand
This game is mostly about a desert, so the dark screenshot is extra mean!
Solution rate: 9%
Other suggestions: Alien Arena, Aliens vs Ghosts, Beyond Good and Evil, BioShock Infinite, Brütal Legend, Cyberpunk, Death Chase, Deep Rock Galactic, Destiny 2, Evillord, Far Cry: Blood Dragon, Grounded, Halo, Journey to the Wild Planet, No Man's Sky, Outer Wilds, Outer Worlds, Resident Evil, Stray, Subnautica: Below Zero

25) Ishar - Legend of the Fortress
A building from the first game of the Ishar trilogy.
Solution rate: 18%
Other suggestions: 5x The Elder Scrolls (Daggerfall), Terraria, Amberstar, BASS, Children of Mana, Defender of the Crown, Dragon Quest, Kingdom, Kingdom 2 crowns, might and Magic, Monster Boy and the cursed kingdom, Nicktoons Attack of the Toybots, Outcast, Residual, The settlers, toomba

Here is the quiz picture again:

Answer picture:
Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/u2FQT2K.png

HIGH SCORE TABLE

01 - 25 points - cib - frozentiger
01 - 25 points - rta - EarthPainting
01 - 25 points - mnc - East West Elite
01 - 25 points - mnc - Mangamaniac2171
01 - 25 points - mnc - OfflineChris
01 - 25 points - rta - marek
07 - 24 points - mnc - Dreamteam
08 - 24 points - mnc - Gerhard S.
09 - 23 points - eab - Nobby_UK
10 - 23 points - eab - Havie
11 - 23 points - gpo - Konsolomio
12 - 23 points - mmx - fedprod
13 - 23 points - gpo - DocMoody
14 - 23 points - mtc - Valdien
15 - 22 points - ntl - Matt_Barber
16 - 22 points - m!g - Killersepp
17 - 22 points - rta - Nihilistic Monk
18 - 22 points - mtc - Parsnip
19 - 22 points - spz - The_BACH
20 - 22 points - rpg - Fyrchtegott

21 - 21 points - smu - Herr Schatten
22 - 21 points - gms - hellermarie
23 - 21 points - sh2 - BVBFabi09
24 - 21 points - rta - Illusionary
25 - 21 points - rta - AuraPaladinne
26 - 21 points - cib - LockeBoss
27 - 20 points - cib - Tharathiel
28 - 20 points - gsg - partykiller
29 - 20 points - ata - jgkspsx
30 - 20 points - gav - Wizdom
31 - 20 points - mmx - Knuckles
32 - 20 points - rtc - Antiriad2097
33 - 20 points - rta - malus
34 - 19 points - eab - mailman
35 - 19 points - spz - Geddoe
36 - 19 points - rkb - kirika1987
37 - 19 points - mmx - Klunky
38 - 19 points - gms - kopyright
39 - 18 points - gpo - OutOfBounds
40 - 18 points - eab - gimbal
41 - 18 points - mtc - Wibblewozzer
42 - 18 points - gms - j1m
43 - 18 points - spz - Striderblade
44 - 18 points - gpo - Messor Torvus
45 - 17 points - can - Dark Kariya
46 - 17 points - can - M_Rick75
47 - 17 points - nto - Curly
48 - 17 points - nto - square
49 - 17 points - ftg - rwklau
50 - 17 points - hcg - dsparil
51 - 16 points - ata - Keir
52 - 16 points - hcg - personman
53 - 16 points - mnc - Lukulus
54 - 16 points - cib - GaiaGensouki
55 - 16 points - sh2 - Vino
56 - 16 points - mnc - HomiSite
57 - 16 points - ftg - RumMonkey
58 - 15 points - sh2 - FoxSpitzer
59 - 15 points - pop - turzilla
60 - 15 points - rpg - Zion
61 - 15 points - hcg - mainpatr
62 - 15 points - eab - darkwave
63 - 15 points - cib - Seizokano
64 - 15 points - mtc - MegaApple
65 - 15 points - gpo - rave
66 - 14 points - wtd - jenoogle
67 - 14 points - ftg - vandelay
68 - 14 points - rta - aLaxLuthor
69 - 14 points - ftg - spooky
70 - 14 points - ftg - harrypalmer
71 - 14 points - ftg - mrpon
72 - 14 points - ftg - LockeTribal
73 - 14 points - rkb - Addearheart
74 - 14 points - ntl - charlix12323
75 - 13 points - m!g - Red XIII
76 - 13 points - can - Franky M.
77 - 13 points - gpo - kataka
78 - 13 points - nto - 4C8en
79 - 13 points - rkb - Philippe161
80 - 13 points - rkb - flof1ghterLegend
81 - 13 points - rta - Gygas
82 - 13 points - m!g - geohound
83 - 13 points - mnc - Mitschel
84 - 12 points - hcg - windfisch
85 - 12 points - gpo - Navarone
86 - 12 points - mtc - freshVeggie
87 - 12 points - rtu - ElginMcqueen
88 - 12 points - ntl - StarPoint
89 - 12 points - ntl - Bunkerneath
90 - 12 points - rpg - D4rkD
91 - 12 points - rkb - Folde
92 - 12 points - mnc - elementalMaster
93 - 12 points - smu - BulletMagnet
94 - 12 points - rta - Optional Objectives
95 - 12 points - gav - Scorplian
96 - 12 points - mmx - Dnamei
97 - 12 points - mmx - Lynx
98 - 11 points - mtc - FunnyJay
99 - 11 points - hcg - teroknor
100 -11 points - rta - Zolbrod
101 -11 points - ftg - Cubby
102 -11 points - gav - Cube
103 -11 points - pop - Don Como
104 -11 points - rta - Blufunk
105 -10 points - gms - RC2225
106 -10 points - gpo - Bully
107 -10 points - gpo - GAMEPROFF
108 -10 points - ntl - Krull
109 -10 points - ntl - Dogorilla
110 -10 points - rkb - DSOP.ape
111 - 9 points - ata - Trinity32
112 - 9 points - ftg - Destria
113 - 9 points - ata - Mikebloke
114 - 9 points - rkb - Phliege
115 - 9 points - mnc - chifan
116 - 9 points - mmx - Shades
117 - 9 points - wtd - svenoble
118 - 9 points - ftg - Rhaegyr
119 - 9 points - pop - dixip
120 - 9 points - gpo - Eddie
121 - 9 points - hcg - excelsior
122 - 9 points - ftg - JuniorFE
123 - 8 points - f64 - Jammet
124 - 8 points - sh2 - Neo_SUC
125 - 8 points - mmx - LittleChoco
126 - 8 points - sh2 - Bonz
127 - 8 points - mtc - QFNS
128 - 8 points - gms - Vincent 86
129 - 8 points - rpg - Mattos313
130 - 8 points - cib - Icho Tolot
131 - 8 points - sh2 - the_joker2
132 - 8 points - rkb - LetsRay
133 - 7 points - ftg - Ecosse
134 - 7 points - rkb - salversurfer
135 - 7 points - nto - Dark~ExxzoN
136 - 7 points - m!g - Kong
137 - 6 points - cib - @kuma:0
138 - 6 points - hcg - Snake
139 - 6 points - smu - Mischief Maker
140 - 6 points - gpo - FireSmoke
141 - 6 points - nto - Ande
142 - 6 points - ntl - Minecraftemery
143 - 6 points - gav - Yoshi
144 - 5 points - gms - Schneitzel
145 - 5 points - pop - PUH
146 - 5 points - pop - Sascha
147 - 5 points - ftg - Rich
148 - 5 points - ntl - BabyYoda71
149 - 5 points - rta - Aldo
150 - 4 points - pop - Daiyama
151 - 4 points - cib - Jan565
152 - 3 points - cib - Elemental Master
153 - 2 points - pop - Arne

LOCAL HIGH SCORE

1 - 21 points - Herr Schatten
2 - 12 points - BulletMagnet
3 - 06 points - Mischief Maker

Congrats to Herr Schatten for the local lead (and just barely missing the Top 20). :)

Thanks to all for playing!
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Wow, my confidence was UN-EARNED this month!

#24 was Starsand? Oh, it's completely not what I thought when I said it looked cool. I thought it was going for some kind of avant garde cartoony look like the black velvet stage from Psychonauts. I didn't realize it was just a generic gun pointed at generic monsters.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

March Quiz - Point & Click Adventures

Where last round you had to deal with many modern multiplatform titles, we now plunge into the golden age of classic graphic adventures. That means we're going deep into the 90s, but with less of a focus on console games. Grab your mouse and get ready to POINT & CLICK! :)

It was a bit strange to put this round together, as so many classics had already been used in all the other quizzes. So no Maniac Mansion, no Loom, no Full Throttle or Grim Fandango... but there are still many big names left for this month, and of course some obscure ones too.

Deadline is Friday the 31st of March, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here's the quiz, have fun!
Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/EMyT9gn.png
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Now, I feel much more at home here than the last round. I’m currently at 22/25. Maybe the hints will help me with the remaining three titles.

I predict a low turnout for #18. That’s one obscure game for sure.
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

March Quiz - Clues #1

Point, click... use ANSWERS with GAMEQUIZ! The first thirty people have already managed to do this, with results ranging from "quite good" to "I'm sure they'll come up with more later." ;)
Some players were surprised about the number of modern games, so I wanted to mention that the majority (13) of the titles are from the 80s and 90s, the golden age of graphic adventures.

Here come the first clues:

1) Number 10 is a detective adventure by Sierra in which Roberta Williams was involved.
2) Fans give a famous game from the 80s an update in terms of graphics & gameplay... #13 is the result.
3) Title 18 is a free promotional game for a German company.
4) Game 20 is from a famous (and now closed) British studio, but among all its releases are only two adventures.

Deadline is Friday 31 March, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/.

Here is the quiz again, good luck :) https://i.imgur.com/EMyT9gn.png
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

March Quiz - Clues #2

You can't get any further? You can't find a walkthrough on the net and have already combined "everything with everything"? Well, maybe this post can help. :)

Not that many people have joined yet, 42 in total and nobody of them from this forum. Don't forget to submit, there is less than a week left!

Here are the final clues:

1) Some people write something at #4 that they might be better off putting at #19.
2) In title #11 all the characters are talking animals, it came out in the mid-90s for DOS, Amiga and Mac.
3) For games #6, #12 and #15, there were not only graphics done by hand, but quite a few frames and assets were digitised from real life footage.
4) The job of the alien protagonist of number 7 is to create crop circles on Earth.

Deadline is Friday 31 March, participation via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/.

Here is the quiz again, good luck: https://i.imgur.com/EMyT9gn.png
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

Herr Schatten wrote:I predict a low turnout for #18. That’s one obscure game for sure.
Oh yes, that one is mean. I intentionally put it in the fourth row (instead of the fifth) so the rules would allow me to give a clue on it! :) It is now at about 25% answer rate, which is higher than I expected.
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

March Quiz - this round ends soon

Attention ladies and gentlemen, there are just about 36 hours left before this round comes to an end. :) There are now 85 people playing, including one from this forum.... so now is no longer the time to think, but time to join!

Deadline is this Friday the 31st of March, participation via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/.

Here's the quiz one last time, go for it: https://i.imgur.com/EMyT9gn.png
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Mr_Horizon wrote:so now is no longer the time to think
Considering I know even less about this round's games than the last one, yeah, that checks out. :P Well, better get something in...

UGH, I know I've seen 9 someplace recently, but it just ain't coming to me...14 too, for that matter, argh!
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

March Quiz - Answers & Score

Exciting, exactly the same amount of players as last round - 153 people! How did that happen? :)

Here is a quick pie chart on the SoundFX survey, which unfortunately wasn't very informative:

Only 20% "yes" votes is a bit weak, it would have to be three times as many for me to do such a round again. That's why I'm taking a different approach now. Until the next quiz (i.e. for about a week) you can check out all the past sound quizzes at http://www.retrogamequiz.com. Then the "don't know" percentage should reduce and we'll repeat the poll with a clear YES/NO. :)

But now we start with the results... first the names of the games as text, then the pictures, then the high score.

1) Return to Monkey Island
Everybody knows Monkey Island. :)
Answer rate: 100%

2) Leisure Suit Larry 5
Answer rate: 98%

3) Indiana Jones & the last Crusade
Answer rate: 99%

4) Simon the Sorcerer 2
No, not Discworld. Although Simon certainly bears a resemblance to Rincewind...
Answer rate: 78%
Other suggestions: 14x Discworld, Teen Merlin

5) Sam & Max 301: The Penal Zone
I've heard the Telltale spin-offs of Sam & Max aren't very good. :/
Solve rate: 96%

6) Toonstruck
Answer rate: 65%
Other suggestions: 4x Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Space Quest, The shining, Trüberbrook

7) The Feeble Files
Also known as "Floyd".
Answer rate: 59%
Other suggestions: Aliens, Beneath a Steel Sky, Ratchet and Clank, Space Quest, The book of unwritten tales, Zak Mc Kracken

8.) Broken Sword 5
Also known as "Baphomets Fluch 5".
Answer rate: 82%
Other suggestions: Gabriel Knight, Last Express, Runaway

9) Darkside Detective
Other suggestions: 5x Police Quest, 4x Thimbleweed Park, Gemini Rue, Maniac Mansion, Sanitarium, Sledge Hammer, Uncanny Valley

10) Dagger of Amon Ra
The second adventure of the lovely Miss Laura Bow.
Answer rate: 48%
Other suggestions: Gabriel Knight, BASS, Herald, King's Quest, Mixed Up Mother Goose, Mystery House, Norco, Police quest, Teenagent

11) Inherit the Earth - Quest for the Orb
Answer rate: 54%
Other suggestions: Nightshade, Space Quest

12) Gabriel Knight 2: the beast within
Wow, Phantasmagoria really burned itself into gaming memory... wasn't the right answer here though.
Answer rate: 42%
Other suggestions: 20x Phantasmagoria, 5x Night Trap, 4x the 7th Guest, dreamfall, Harvester, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Psychic detective, Tex Murphy, The Riddle of Master Lu

13) Kings Quest 3 VGA
Answer rate: 41%
Other suggestions: Bard's Tale, Colossal Cave, Hand of god, Kyrandia, Loom, Museum Madness, Quest for Glory

14) Unavowed
Answer rate: 52%
Other suggestions: Dr Who, Beneath A Steel Sky, Gemini Room, Gemini Rue, BASS, Blackwell, Blues brothers, Kathy Rain, Lost Horizon

15) The Neverhood
Answer rate: 43%
Other suggestions: Grim Fandango, Machinarium, Robot murder detectives

16) Chaos on Deponia
Answer rate: 61%
Other suggestions: Doc Clock and the Toasted Sandwich of Time, Edna, Freddi Fish, Lost in Play, Zac McKrakken

17) Thimbleweed Park
Other suggestions: Blackwell Deception, Ghost reader, Kathy Rain, Little Nightmares, Loom, Neverending Story, The Blackwell Legacy

18.) Telekommando 2
A Promotion adventure game for the german company "Telekom".
Answer rate: 20%
Other suggestions: Bi-Fi: Action in Hollywood, Clock Tower, Countdown, The Legacy, The Basement, Dark Shadows, Neuromancer, Prisoner of ice, Twilight Syndrome, Beneath A Steel Sky

19) Discworld Noir
Answer rate: 41%
Other suggestions: Blade Runner, Harry Potter, Myst, Sanitarium, City of Forgotten Children, Shardlight, Simon the Sorcerer.

20) Universe
That was mean because you don't see the actual protagonist here at all. But I still find the colour scheme very memorable.
Answer rate: 18%
Other suggestions: Harry Potter, Innocent Until Caught, James Pond, Loom FM Town, Orion Burger, Space Quest, Tea Time

21) Big Red Adventure
Answer rate: 23%
Other suggestions: Discworld 2: Missing Presumed, Army Wars, Comrade, Day of the tentacle, Generals and majors, KGB, Red Comrades, Teen Agent

22) Syberia
I sometimes confuse this with "Secret Files Tunguska" or "The Longest Journey". But more people recognised this train than I expected!
Answer rate: 53%
Other suggestions: 7x Myst, 4x The Longest Journey, Beneath a Steel sky, Secret File Tunguska, Grim Fandango, Journeyman Project, Riven, The Book Of Unwritten Tales

23) How We Know We're Alive
The second hardest entry of this round, a depressing little indie story from Sweden. Actually this is more of a walking simulator than an adventure game. :/
Answer rate: 12%
Other suggestions: Behind Closed Doors, Essays on Empathy, Gemini Rue, Gods will be watching, Kentucky Route Zero, Lacuna, Manic Depression Room, Mystery Mansion, One Dreamer, Primark the video game, Settled, sheltered, Thumbleweed Park

24) 6 Days a Sacrifice
One of the adventure games by "Zero Punctuation" writer Ben Croshaw.
Answer rate: 33%
Other suggestions: Beneath a Steel Sky, The Blackwell, The Orion Conspiracy, Zombie Wars

25) 1987 Rescue in Berlin
Developed by a Spaniard and released in 2021, a funny story set in 1980s Berlin. Toughest entry of this round!
Answer rate: 10%
Other suggestions: Maniac Mansion, Thimbleweed Park, Action in Hollywood, Bud Tucker in Double Trouble, Caren and the tangled tentacles, Pink Panther Passport to Peril, The Adventures of Willy Beamish, Who stole my beard

Here is the quiz picture again, followed by the answers:

Answers:
Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/b935Qxv.png

HIGH SCORE

01 - 25 points - mnc - Gerhard S.
01 - 25 points - mnc - Mangamaniac2171
01 - 25 points - mnc - Ost West Elite
06 - 24 points - eab - Nobby_UK
07 - 24 points - mnc - Dream Team
08 - 24 points - pop - turzilla
09 - 24 points - cib - frozentiger
10 - 24 points - rpg - Calastellio
11 - 23 points - smu - Herr Schatten
12 - 23 points - gpo - DocMoody
13 - 22 points - eab - darkwave
14 - 22 points - gav - Wizdom
15 - 22 points - eab - Havie
16 - 22 points - wtd - AirBaeron
17 - 22 points - cib - LockeBoss
18 - 22 points - rta - EarthPainting
19 - 22 points - gsg - partykiller
20 - 22 points - spz - The_BACH

21 - 22 points - ftg - DeekyFun
22 - 22 points - spz - Striderblade
23 - 21 points - ata - Keir
24 - 21 points - can - Dark Kariya
25 - 21 points - can - M.Rick75
26 - 21 points - mtc - KainXVIII
27 - 21 points - gms - kopyright
28 - 20 points - rta - malus
29 - 20 points - mmx - Lynx
30 - 20 points - rtu - Antiriad2097
31 - 20 points - rkb - kirika1987
32 - 20 points - rpg - Fyrchtegott
33 - 20 points - hcg - windfisch
34 - 20 points - rta - hamsterstyle
35 - 19 points - gms - j1m
36 - 19 points - hcg - teroknor
37 - 19 points - mtc - Parsnip
38 - 19 points - mmx - fedprod
39 - 18 points - mtc - Valdien
40 - 18 points - gms - hellermarie
41 - 18 points - ata - jgkspsx
42 - 18 points - rta - Illusionary
43 - 18 points - eab - mailman
44 - 18 points - mnc - HomiSite
45 - 18 points - gms - kanedat
46 - 18 points - ftg - Lurker
47 - 18 points - ftg - destria
48 - 18 points - rta - Nihilistic Monk
49 - 17 points - sh2 - Vino
50 - 17 points - ftg - rwklau
51 - 17 points - ntl - Matt_Barber
52 - 17 points - sh2 - BVBFabi09
53 - 16 points - mmx - dasDull
54 - 16 points - nto - Lockenvogel
55 - 16 points - mnc - Lukulus
56 - 16 points - mmx - Knuckles
57 - 16 points - mmx - LittleChoco
58 - 16 points - sh2 - FoxSpitzer
59 - 16 points - hcg - dsparil
60 - 16 points - hcg - personman
61 - 15 points - wtd - PhantomVonOpa
62 - 15 points - nto - 4C8en
63 - 15 points - f64 - Pat Power
64 - 15 points - wtd - svenoble
65 - 15 points - gpo - rave
66 - 15 points - ftg - cubby
67 - 14 points - cib - Seizokano
68 - 14 points - ntl - charlix12323
69 - 14 points - mtc - Wibblewozzer
70 - 14 points - wtd - jenoogle
71 - 14 points - ftg - Vandelay
72 - 14 points - gpo - Bully
73 - 14 points - mtc - FunnyJay
74 - 14 points - rpg - D4rkD
75 - 13 points - mnc - elementalMaster
76 - 13 points - ftg - Garfy
77 - 13 points - nto - Quadratlatschen
78 - 13 points - ftg - RumMonkey
79 - 13 points - gpo - Messor Torvus
80 - 13 points - wtd - Mr.L
81 - 13 points - rkb - salversurfer
82 - 12 points - mtc - MegaApple
83 - 12 points - gms - Schneitzel
84 - 12 points - mnc - Mitschel
85 - 11 points - rta - Zolbrod
86 - 11 points - m!g - Red XIII
87 - 11 points - rkb - Addearheart
88 - 11 points - mnc - chifan
89 - 11 points - gsg - Nischenliebhaber
90 - 11 points - ftg - LockeTribal
91 - 10 points - rtu - Elginmcqueen
92 - 10 points - hcg - snake
93 - 10 points - hcg - Alexmate
94 - 10 points - mtc - freshVeggie
95 - 10 points - mtc - xxr
96 - 10 points - pop - Don Como
97 - 10 points - f64 - Jammet
98 - 10 points - gpo - Navarone
99 - 10 points - sh2 - Jokus
100 -10 points - ftg - harrypalmer
101 -10 points - spz - Geddoe
102 -10 points - can - Kulfy
103 -10 points - mmx - Dnamei
104 -10 points - wtd - Waelthus
105 -10 points - ftg - mrpon
106 -10 points - rkb - flof1ghterLegend
107 - 9 points - nto - Ande
108 - 9 points - rpg - Zion
109 - 9 points - f64 - drazil
110 - 8 points - ftg - Rich
111 - 8 points - gpo - FireSmoke
112 - 8 points - mmx - Shades
113 - 8 points - sh2 - Bonz
114 - 8 points - hcg - excelsior
115 - 8 points - can - BakaSeiji
116 - 8 points - rta - vgp
117 - 7 points - pop - Sascha
118 - 7 points - rkb - ToniLustig
119 - 7 points - can - Franky M.
120 - 7 points - gpo - kataka
121 - 7 points - cib - Elemental Master
122 - 7 points - ftg - Rhaegyr
123 - 7 points - gpo - Eddie
124 - 7 points - gms - RC2225
125 - 7 points - pop - PUH
126 - 7 points - rkb - FolderOfDoom
127 - 7 points - pop - Daiyama
128 - 7 points - m!g - geohound
129 - 7 points - ntl - Krull
130 - 7 points - pop - Arne
131 - 6 points - rta - Gygas
132 - 6 points - ftg - JuniorFE
133 - 6 points - rta - Optional Objectives
134 - 6 points - smu - BulletMagnet
135 - 6 points - rtc - StayAwhile
136 - 6 points - ntl - Dogorilla
137 - 6 points - gpo - GAMEPROFF
138 - 6 points - ftg - Lizard
139 - 5 points - eab - CFOU!
140 - 5 points - mtc - QFNS
141 - 5 points - sh2 - Neo_SUC
142 - 5 points - gpo - OutOfBounds
143 - 5 points - sh2 - the_joker2
144 - 5 points - m!g - Kong
145 - 5 points - gpo - Konsolomio
146 - 5 points - mnc - Yeboah17
147 - 4 points - ata - Mikebloke
148 - 4 points - gav - Scorplian
149 - 4 points - gav - Cube
150 - 4 points - ftg - DaddyDoomBar
151 - 3 points - gav - Yoshi
152 - 2 points - cib - Jan565
153 - 1 points - ntl - BabyYoda71

LOCAL HIGH SCORE

1 - 23 points - Herr Schatten
2 - 06 points - BulletMagnet

Congrats to Herr Schatten for the local lead and the Top 20 position. :)

I'll mention it briefly one more time: Until the next quiz (i.e. for about a week), you can check out all the past sound quizzes at http://www.retrogamequiz.com.

Thank you all for joining!
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

April Quiz - Super Mario

Since last week the new Super Mario Bros movie is out, how about we do a promo round to celebrate the dear plumber? :) We've already had Sega, Atari or Commodore as a theme.... and here's the (sort-of) Nintendo puzzle at last.

I was delayed over the Easter holidays, but I hope to be able to get this round online just before the 10th of April is over.

To avoid entries like "25x Super Mario", this time a clear announcement: You have to give the exact game! °_°

Only if at least 20% of all players make the same mistake in an answer you'll still score. So if 20 out of 100 people specify just "Super Mario Pottery Champion" or the famous third game instead of the correct answer "Super Mario Pottery Champion 2 redux", you might get points for that. Don't rely on it!

Deadline is Sunday the 30th of April, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/.

Here's the quiz, have fun :)
Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/C6fQpQI.png

EDIT: If you still see the SoundFX-Quiz when clicking the link, flush your cache, or use a different browser or an incognito window, or just go via the "click to join" button. :)
Mr_Horizon

April Clues #1

Post by Mr_Horizon »

April Quiz - Clues #1

Just about 40 people are already playing, so let's a go, quiz time! A few voices would have liked a bigger focus on the 90s, but eleven games in this round were released between 1983 and 2000... okay, but admittedly the remaining fourteen came out in 2001 & later. Hopefully it will make life easier for the younger ones among you ;)

Here are the clues:

1) Title 15 is an "educational" game and the only one in this round with an official PC release.
2) The following consoles (Game Boy, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Switch) each have three games in this quiz.
3) Number 6 is a puzzle game for the N64.
4) Each row shows five different systems, for example the top row is Wii, Switch, Gamecube, N64 and Game Boy at the end. So since #6 is an N64 game, there can't be any other N64 titles in the second row.

And guys, AGAIN: you have to give the exact name of the game this time, the series probably won't do! °_°

Deadline is Sunday the 30th of April, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here's the quiz again, let's go :) https://i.imgur.com/C6fQpQI.png
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

April Quiz - Clues #2

It's a me, your clue post! ^_^ Sixty people are in, and twenty of them have seen the new Super Mario movie. Did any of you also go to the cinema for the old one from the 90s? I should have asked that too, such a missed opportunity...oh well.
You have to participate before the end of next week, there are only a few days left until this round is over.

Here are the last clues:

1) Three of the pictures are not actual gameplay, but instead show the cover of the game.
2) You won't find any of the "Super Mario Maker" games in this round.
3) Game 14 is the only 3DS title in this quiz, both Mario and his brother are playable.
4) Number 18 shows Mario in a puzzle game, but Luigi is nowhere to be seen in this title.

And guys, BE PRECISE: It needs to be the exact name. I know I said that there'd be "mercy points" if enough people make the same mistake, but this got more complicated than I expected and now I'M TAKING IT BACK. To compensate, I'll give you the following as a fifth clue:

5) In the following games, well over ten people miss their point because they are just a bit off: 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 11, 15.... plus one from the last row. Are you sure you are precise enough everywhere? ;)

Deadline is Sunday 30 April, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here's the quiz again, we are on the last days: https://i.imgur.com/C6fQpQI.png
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I know some are wrong, but this is (I think) the first round where I was confident enough to submit at least a guess for every item; had a good deal of fun with the extra wrinkles (and actually knowing the subject matter to a degree), though as always I'll be kicking myself over the ones I missed, heh.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Made my entries. Guess I'll beat my personnal best of 5 points this time :D
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

April Quiz - this round ends soon!

An urgent message from the Mushroom Kingdom: LETS-A-GO, the fun will be over this Sunday! o_o
Almost 100 players (three from here) have already sent in their (hopefully totally accurate?) answers, it seems like the scoreboard holds all results between ZERO and ALL points. Exciting!

Hurry up, the deadline is this Sunday, 30th of April, participation via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/.

Here is the quiz one last time: https://i.imgur.com/C6fQpQI.png
guigui

Post by guigui »

How one can score ZERO point on this ? Even my mother can score.
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

April Quiz - Answers & Score

Oh dear, you're going to hate me for these results! Well over 500 entries resulted in no points, as it had to be the exact title of the game this round. Despite such a strict rule, a whole dozen of players managed to score full points. Impressive!

Briefly on the poll: 55% vote for a sound quiz, 45% against it... that's damn close to a 50/50 and not distinct enough for me to make the effort. Maybe there will be some kind of SoundFX bonus round. ;)

The new Super Mario Bros movie has been seen by 31% of all voters, and only 2% of them (3 votes) didn't like it. :) 25% don't want to see it in the first place, and the remaining 44% still plan to watch it eventually.

But now it's time to start with the results... first the names of the games as text, then the pictures, then the high score.

1) Super Mario Galaxy
The first part of Super Mario Galaxy is the only title of this round that achieved more than 90% solution rate.
Answer rate: 93%
Other suggestions: 5x Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros

2) Paper Mario: Origami King.
That's a "Paper" Mario alright.... but the clues also revealed that it's a Switch title, so only the Origami King gets the point!
Answer rate: 73%
Other suggestions: 17x Paper Mario: Color Splash, 14x Paper Mario, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Paper Mario 2, Super Paper Mario, Mario Party

3) Super Smash Bros Melee
Which Smash Bros is on the Gamecube? That's right: "Melee"
Answer rate: 69%
Other suggestions: 16x Super Smash Bros, 12x Super Smash Bros Ultimate, 7x Super Smash Bros Brawl, 4x Smash Bros, Super Mario Odyssey

4) Mario Party 2
Here you can see the mini-game "Mecha Marathon". This is available in one Mario Party each on the Switch, the 3DS and the N64.
However, the image detail shows the very blocky graphics of the N64, which is why it has to be "Mario Party 2".
Answer rate: 61%
Other suggestions: 32x Mario Party, 8x Mario Party 3, Mario Party 4, Mario Party 64, Super Mario Party, Mario Party Superstars, Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games

5) Super Mario Land 2: 6 golden coins
Answer rate: 88%
Other suggestions: 6x Super Mario Land, Mario Brothers Deluxe, Mario's Picross

6) Dr.Mario 64
Quite a few of you will be annoyed, because without the "64" you don't get the point. ^_-
Answer rate: 73%
Other suggestions: 32x Dr Mario, Tetris & Dr Mario, Dr Mario Puzzle League, Dr Mario x Tetris

7) Mario Bros
No, not the jump'n'run "Super Mario Bros". This is the arcade original "Mario Bros".
Answer rate: 84%
Other suggestions: Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario Bros 3 Battle Game, Mario Bros 3

8.) Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
Rabbids, that's right! But the second part.
Other suggestions: 13x Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle, 9x Mario & Rabbids, 7x Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2

9) Mario Strikers Charged
Football with Mario, here's the UK cover of the Wii version! Do you want the point? You can only get it with "charged".
Answer rate: 67%
Other suggestions: 13x Super Mario Strikers, 10x Mario Strikers Battle League Football, 9x Mario Strikers, Super Smash Football, Mario Smash Football, Mario Soccer, Wario World

10) Super Mario 3D World
Answer rate: 63%
Other suggestions: 6x Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, 5x Mario & Luigi, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Mario & Luigi: Bowers Inside Story, Mario Bros, Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros U, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion 3

11) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Kart 8 is a good game for the Wii U. Pictured here, however, is Mario Kart 8 DELUXE for the Switch. You can tell by all the extra characters.
Other suggestions: 34x Mario Kart 8, 5x Mario Kart, 4x Super Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, Nintendo Land, Animal Crossing

12) Luigi's Mansion
The end of the very first Luigi's Mansion, Mario is no longer locked in the picture frame.
Other suggestions: 5x Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Mario 64 DS, Mario Party 4, Mario Sunshine, Super Mario 64, Captain Toad

13) Mario Clash
Yes, that's right, a Mario for the Virtua Boy. I wonder what it was called...?
Answer rate: 78%
Other suggestions: Virtual Boy Wario Land, Mario's Tennis, Mario bros virtual boy, Mario Virtual, Virtual Boy Mario, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Super Mario RPG, Super Paper Mario

14) Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
There are quite a few Mario & Luigi games out there. But on the 3DS, with this background & side characters? That's just Dream Team.
Answer rate: 44%
Other suggestions: 10x Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, 8x Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros, Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam, Mario and Luigi, Super Mario RPG, Mario Bros, Mario Golf Advanced Tour, Mario Party, Mario Party 3, Mario Party 7, Mario Party Advance, Mario Party Island Tour, Mario Party Top 100, Mario Superstar Baseball, New Super Mario Bros DS, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario RPG

15) Mario's Early Years! Fun with Numbers
Released on SNES and DOS, the only "edutainment game" of this round.
Solving rate: 39%
Other suggestions: 18x Mario's Time Machine, 14x Hotel Mario, 8x Mario is Missing, 4x Mario Teaches Typing, Mario Teaches Typing 2, Mario Elevator, Mario Maker, Mario Time Machine, Mario World, Mario's Early Years: Preschool Fun, Mario's Game Gallery, Mario's Arithmetic Skills, Super Mario Advance, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario Maker, Super Mario RPG, Game and Watch 4

16) DDR: Mario Mix
Whether DDR or Dancing Stage, together with "Mario" you get a point.
Other suggestions: Dance Dance Revolution, Super Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Party, Mario Party 3, Mario Party 5, Mario Party 7, Mario Party 8, Mario Party DS, Mario Party: The Top 100, Mario & Luigi RPG, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven

17) Pinball
Answer rate: 42%
Other suggestions: 14x Donkey Kong, 7x Wrecking Crew, 6x Donkey Kong Jr, 4x Mario Bros, Breakout, Cement Factory, Ice Climber, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Marionoid

18) Yoshi's Cookie
Answer rate: 32%
Other suggestions: 12x Super Mario World, 5x Mario Teaches Typing, 4x Mario & Wario, Mario Teaches Typing 2, Super Mario All-Stars, Yoshi's Safari, Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Mario's Picross GB, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Mario all stars, Game & Watch Gallery

19) WarioWare: Twisted!
Is that Super Mario Bros 3?! No, that didn't have local multiplayer! The picture shows a minigame from WarioWare Twisted or WarioWare Gold.
Answer rate: 29%
Other suggestions: 63x Super Mario Bros 3, 4x Super Mario Bros 2, 4x Super Mario Maker, Super Mario Maker 2, Super Mario World, Super Mario World 3, Vs. Super Mario Bros. 3, NES Remix 2, Nintendoland

20) Alleyway
Answer rate: 63%
Other suggestions: 8x Mario's Time Machine, Arkanoid, Breakout, Mario Paint, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2

21) Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics
The Wii cover of one of the Mario & Sonic crossover games. This is about the WINTER Olympics, just "Mario & Sonic Olympics" is a different game.
Other suggestions: 5x Super Mario Odyssey, 4x Mario & Sonic at Olympic Games, Winter Olympics, Mario vs Sonic, Mario Golf!, Mario Sunshine, Mario Tennis Open, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Super Mario Run

22) Qix
Did the colours confuse you? ^_^ The picture shows a Gameboy game in the Super Game Boy.
Other suggestions: 6x Super Mario Odyssey, Game and Watch Gallery, Game & Watch Gallery 2, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, Super Mario Maker, Tetris, WarioWare, Warioland, Wild Western Mario, Mario Paint, Outlaw clone

23) WarioWare Inc.
Okay, that was a bit cheap: another WarioWare. But these just have such weird versions of Mario! The "Inc" was needed for the point here.
Answer rate: 37%
Other suggestions: 11x Warioware, 5x Mario Paint, Wario Ware Touched, WarioWare DIY, WarioWare Gold, WarioWare: Touched!, Wario Ware: Get It Together, Super Mario Bros. & Friends: When I Grow Up, Super Mario Land 2, Super Mario Maker, Rhythm Heaven, Electric Crayon 3

24) Mario Artist: Polygon Studio
Here it is, the toughest title of the round!
"Mario Artist" is just the series, so no points for that. "Paint Studio" has the RED M, "Talent Studio" has the GREEN M, the "Communication Kit" is GREY, and only "Mario Artist: POLYGON STUDIO" shows the blue M depicted in the quiz.
Answer rate: 17%
Other suggestions: 36x Mario Artist, 20x Mario Artist: Paint Studio, 4x Mario Artist: Talent Studio, Mario Artist: Communication Kit
13x Mario Paint, Mario Paint 64, Mario Picross, NEW Super Mario Bros Wii, mario kart 7, Super Mario Maker, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Noir-io Bros, Mario is Missing

25) Super Scope 6
In one of the Nintendo Light Gun games, Mario also appeared as a gimmick. Difficult!
Answer rate: 28%
Other suggestions: 4x Mario & Wario, Pilotwings, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Maker, Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2, Mario's Time Machine, Mario is Missing, Mario Maker, Mario Paint, Mario Tennis, mario vs donkey kong, Mario's Early Years! Fun with Numbers, Red baron, Super Mario Advance, Super Mario First Aid, Wario's Woods, Kaizo Mario

Here is the quiz image again, followed by the answers:

Answer image:
Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/DmCjHmk.png

HIGH SCORE TABLE

01 - 25 points - rtu - Antiriad2097
01 - 25 Points - cib - frozentiger
01 - 25 points - mnc - East West Elite
01 - 25 points - rta - Illusionary
01 - 25 points - gpo - KHlover
01 - 25 points - gpo - DocMoody
01 - 25 points - spz - The_BACH
01 - 25 points - ata - jgkspsx
01 - 25 points - hcg - Son of Suzy Creamcheese
01 - 25 Points - rta - malus
13 - 24 points - ftg - rwklau
14 - 24 points - mmx - Ligiiihh
15 - 24 Points - mnc - Gerhard S.
16 - 24 points - gav - Yoshi
17 - 24 points - eab - Havie
18 - 24 points - rta - AuraPaladinne
19 - 24 points - mtc - Parsnip
20 - 24 points - rta - hamsterstyle

21 - 23 points - gms - hellermarie
22 - 23 points - rta - EarthPainting
23 - 23 points - gav - Wizdom
24 - 23 points - rta - jett
25 - 23 points - mnc - Mangamaniac2171
26 - 23 points - rpg - Calastellio
27 - 22 points - eab - Nobby_UK
28 - 22 points - mtc - Wibblewozzer
29 - 22 points - ftg - JuniorFE
30 - 22 points - nto - Ande
31 - 21 points - rta - Cow Mengde
32 - 21 points - mtc - Valdien
33 - 21 Points - ntl - charlix12323
34 - 21 points - ntl - dogorilla
35 - 20 points - gsg - partykiller
36 - 20 points - hcg - dsparil
37 - 20 points - rta - Nihilistic Monk
38 - 20 points - spz - Striderblade
39 - 20 points - wtd - jenoogle
40 - 19 points - hcg - personman
41 - 19 points - rkb - kirika1987
42 - 18 points - mmx - knuckles
43 - 18 points - rpg - fyrchtegott
44 - 18 points - hcg - excelsior
45 - 18 points - smu - Herr Schatten
46 - 18 points - pop - dixip
47 - 18 points - gpo - FireSmoke
48 - 17 points - mnc - Dream Team
49 - 17 points - rta - PsionBolt
50 - 17 points - rta - Blufunk
51 - 17 points - hcg - windfish
52 - 17 points - ntl - Matt_Barber
53 - 17 points - mmx - Klunky
54 - 17 points - cib - Seizokano
55 - 17 points - ntl - Minecraftemery
56 - 17 points - sh2 - BVBFabi09
57 - 17 points - m!g - Red XIII
58 - 16 points - ftg - LockeTribal
59 - 16 points - ntl - TheBigBlue
60 - 16 points - ntl - StarPoint
61 - 16 points - ntl - BabyYoda71
62 - 16 points - rkb - Addearheart
63 - 16 points - nto - Quadratlatschen
64 - 16 points - rpg - Mattos313
65 - 16 points - ftg - Cubby
66 - 15 points - cib - GaiaGensouki
67 - 15 points - eab - darkwave
68 - 15 points - gpo - rave
69 - 15 points - gav - Scorplian
70 - 15 points - gpo - Messor Torvus
71 - 15 points - mnc - Mitschel
72 - 15 points - mmx - fedprod
73 - 14 points - pop - a gentle breeze
74 - 14 points - pop - Don Como
75 - 14 points - mmx - LittleChoco
76 - 14 points - rta - PCfromNYV
77 - 14 points - can - Dark Kariya
78 - 14 points - ata - Keir
79 - 14 points - rtu - Elginmcqueen
80 - 13 points - gms - kopyright
81 - 13 points - can - M.Rick75
82 - 13 points - smu - BulletMagnet
83 - 13 points - hcg - snake
84 - 13 points - hcg - teroknor
85 - 13 points - ftg - Destria
86 - 13 points - spz - Geddoe
87 - 13 points - gpo - Navarone
88 - 13 points - sh2 - FoxSpitzer
89 - 12 points - mtc - MegaApple
90 - 12 points - mnc - Lukulus
91 - 12 points - ntl - Bunkerneath
92 - 12 points - gms - j1m
93 - 12 points - gav - Cube
94 - 12 points - ftg - Vandelay
95 - 12 points - m!g - Kong
96 - 11 points - nto - 4C8en
97 - 11 points - ftg - Lurker
98 - 11 points - pop - turzilla
99 - 11 points - mmx - Dnamei
100 - 11 points - cib - Retro_Willie
101 - 11 points - rtc - StayAwhile
102 - 11 points - hcg - mainpatr
103 - 10 points - rpg - Zion
104 - 10 points - rkb - Philippe161
105 - 10 points - mmx - Shades
106 - 10 points - hcg - Alexmate
107 - 10 points - rta - aLaxLuthor
108 - 10 points - sh2 - Bonz
109 - 10 points - rta - Gygas
110 - 09 points - mmx - Lynx
111 - 09 points - nto - Curly
112 - 09 points - ata - Mikebloke
113 - 08 points - eab - mailman
114 - 08 points - gpo - kataka
115 - 08 points - mnc - elementalMaster
116 - 08 points - rta - Optional Objectives
117 - 08 points - cib - LockeBoss
118 - 08 points - cib - @kuma:0
119 - 07 points - wtd - Adrian
120 - 07 points - mtc - QFNS
121 - 07 points - spz - VAL
122 - 07 points - rkb - FolderOfDoom
123 - 07 points - nto - Dark~ExxzoN
124 - 07 points - cib - Elemental Master
125 - 07 points - gpo - GAMEPROFF
126 - 06 points - smu - Guigui
127 - 06 points - off - gbxkb
128 - 06 points - mnc - HomiSite
129 - 05 points - ata - JeremiahJT
130 - 05 points - pop - PUH
131 - 05 points - gpo - Eddie
132 - 05 points - ftg - Lizard
133 - 04 points - ftg - harrypalmer
134 - 04 points - gpo - Bully
135 - 04 points - mtc - freshVeggie
136 - 04 points - cib - Jan565
137 - 04 points - off - David
138 - 04 points - mtc - FunnyJay
139 - 03 points - pop - Sascha
140 - 03 points - wtd - Waelthus
141 - 03 points - rtu - AlexH
142 - 03 points - pop - Arne
143 - 02 points - mnc - chifan
144 - 02 points - f64 - Jammet
145 - 02 points - rpg - D4rkD
146 - 01 points - wtd - svenoble
147 - 00 points - pop - Daiyama
148 - 00 points - gav - Hahs

LOCAL HIGH SCORE

1 - 18 points - Herr Schatten
2 - 13 points - BulletMagnet
3 - 06 points - Guigui

Congratulations to Herr Schatten for the local lead. :)

@Guigui, good question about scoring zero points, there's even two players like that! "Hahs" only voted on the Movie question (I sense a strong opinion there), and "Daiyama" just had a handful of rather vague Super Mario entries that were unfortunately all wrong. -_-

Thank you everybody for playing!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hm, this one proved more challenging than I thought; definitely a real memory for minor details needed to pinpoint some of these!
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

May Quiz - Flash Classics

In the year 2000 Macromedia Flash 5 is released, in which the programming language "ActionScript" is built in for the first time... At the latest now the time of Flash Games begins and flushes a wild mixture of crude chaos & great creativity onto desktop computers all over the world.

I'm sure some of you will roll your eyes at this one... do Flash games even deserve to get their own quiz?! But after last round's 100% polished games from Nintendo, I can't think of a better counter-programme than the unfiltered deluge from the games laboratory that was Macromedia Flash.

The time span is pretty much set this time, from 2000 to the year 2020, which was when eventually all those games just launched into a "Adobe Flash Player is no longer supported" message.

Deadline is Wednesday 31 May, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here is the quiz, have fun! :)
Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/P4Lmfd8.png
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

No Nanaca Crash? What kind of Flash quiz is that?