Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by BIL »

Udderdude wrote:Switch is such a pain to even deal with input latency. There's handheld vs. docked mode, wired vs. wireless controllers .. I think it might even vary between games.

This guy has a vid of a Switch in handheld mode running ACA Sunset Riders, right next to an original Sunset Riders PCB running on an original cab. Can't see any difference. https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch ... b_perfect/
Heartwarming thread Image Image Image One of the all-time great ambassadors of hardcore, Sunset. I hope a few passers-by picked it up, after three decades without a definitive home release.

Yeah, I've always heard good things about Hamster and M2's Switch stuff. If not for Bloodborne, I'd have gotten a Switch myself back in 2019, when The Ninja Warriors Once Again armlocked me into getting a then-current console. Still looking forward to those AGES Shinobi, Virtua Racing and Gain Ground ports. We truly live in a time of too many mahfuckin games. Image
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The Switch was immediately puzzling at release, when we first started investigating the pro controller's latency.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/reverse-eng ... de.475226/

It's batshit crazy. Things have only gotten more sticky since.

Another frustration is the DualShock 4. It's capable of 1ms polling wirelessly, but locked to slower 4ms polling when wired. Why? (Because, Sony says piss off; that's why.)
We apologise for the inconvenience
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

pressing backspace when typing a youtube comment will wipe the entire fucking comment sometimes and I don't know why.
I want to nerd fight ffs, i can't remember what I wrote
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Lander

Post by Lander »

I must have missed it, but chain restaurants got weird at some point.

Just back from a birthday dinner at Nando's, and the dining experience is some bizarre information age nonsense now. You get shown to your seat, handed a menu, and told to go to the till with a memorized order or scan the QR code on the table to do it via smartphone.

What happened to having a waitress take your order, provide cutlery, and ask if you want condiments? Perhaps even a bit of small talk for that human touch? Everything but the food itself has gone self-serve :|

Granted, Nando's isn't exactly haute cuisine, but they used to act like a restaurant rather than a sit-in Just Eat outlet. What a mess the antisocial media era has made.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I never got the obsession with Nando's but whenever I've gone it's been a very confusing experience over the years. I've had a waitress serve normally. I've had someone take my order then had to go up to collect it. I've had to go up to a till to order and then had my food brought to me - that one was my favourite. A waiter came over with menus and explained the system... if you can do that much, you can come back and take our order, no?

Nando's is weird. Do not attempt to baseline normality using Nando's. It's not quite as oddball as Wagamama, which gives you the awful "wait around for a table then sit way too close to weirdos" experience of a hip joint in central London. But in a shopping centre in Peterborough.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Same - I'd not been for a decade plus prior, though have noticed the "cheeky nandos" meme occasionally poking its head out of the british lads-lads-lads noosphere. Very odd, perhaps the progression in serving is some attempt to cash in on the possibly-ironic interest of hip youngins. Or the marketing homonculus perception of them, at least.

I never found Wagamama too bad outside of times when it was crazy packed, though it definitely has that cosmopolitan air about it. And the endlessly shocking concept that food will arrive when it's ready rather than on a strict timetable :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Christ almighty - people who do phone interviews with the phone in their hand, POV lurching and swinging all over the damn place. What the fuck? Put it down somewhere FFS, or prop it against something - you're sat in your manky bedroom you scruffy bugger. I virtually never get motion-sick at screens but I was feeling it just then, had to switch tabs. Or maybe it was just the Little Annoyed Hell kicking in, that's possible too! :o Either way fuck that noise.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

MANKY :lol: :lol: :lol:

christ it's been a moment since i've heard that word hahaha.

Oh christ, yeah the " order on your phone " stuff irks me to no fucking end. I think i was at Yo sushi last year, they wouldn't take my fucking order unless I did it on the phone. I wanted to walk out but I was with a gurl.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:MANKY :lol: :lol: :lol:

christ it's been a moment since i've heard that word hahaha.
Always makes me think of this bloke :mrgreen:
Lander

Post by Lander »

Bloody hell, me grin muscles :lol:

And sponsored by Tiscali internet. You know what annoys the hell out of me circa twoish decades ago? Tiscali. Naff purple-browser-having ass dial-up provider.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Much like it does for genocidal AI programs, self-awareness has an inimitably amusing effect upon the Scotchman :mrgreen: A solid slate of sig/av contenders there - my shortlist at this wee hour including the glare of feral alarm that cliffhangers the preamble; "I'LL TEACH YOU FER STEALIN MAH WEED;" and of course, the iconic and subtly homo-aggressive "Ah'm gonna pump yer mawww~" (shot of wagging tracky-bottomed arse against verdant council wasteland)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Online shops that changes e-mail address for their news letters so they keep going into the spam folder. Some of them now have 10 different email addresses, like mail@, info@, hello@, updates@ noreply@ dontreply@ etc. What's wrong with them, did they forget the password?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I don't know if Americans have this problem, but in the UK it seems to have something that F*ing ticks me off. Setting your phone up to park your car.

So you find a car park and the open ones have these payment machines that offer cash payment option and a code/app for online payment.

So your in the car park (maybe in all sorts of weather conditions) and you have to set up the app that requires name, email, banking info and your car registration. Depending on your touch typing skills this can take up to 12-15 minutes. You need to wait on confirmation emails/codes, it even gives you option to take a picture of your car. So you set this up.

A month passes you come back. Paytogo app is now replaced by Ringo app. Here we go... :roll: :twisted: :evil: , setting this sum bitch up again.

Then you go to the next city and they use another council ran car park app. I must have at least 3 apps on my phone related to car parking.

So you might ask why I don't use cash. Well, quite often the machines are broken and in some cases not intuitive. You put £3 in the machine and pressing all the buttons and nothing happens. If its a multi storey there is almost always a homeless person that knows exactly how it works :lol:

so yeah not a fan of car parks that use apps.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Lander

Post by Lander »

The whole app ecosystem is simply awful. The vast majority of me-too homescreen fillers are just fancified webpages packaged up with Electron or other browser-in-a-can frameworks as an excuse to get a spot in the app outlets. All the worse when it's about automating infrastructure, inadvertently creating situations where the end user is screwed because the non-app alternative is broken or absent.

At this point I'm considering getting a dumb(er)phone so I can write off that side of the information age world. Unfortunately the 2000s are long since over and Blackberry is dead, so nobody makes good QWERTYs anymore :|
ryu

Post by ryu »

neorichieb1971 wrote:rant
Yeah the whole IT landscape is a complete joke. Still I'm glad I didn't have to make that kind of experience yet. There's still only a minimal amount of apps on my phone, thankfully.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL wrote:Christ almighty - people who do phone interviews with the phone in their hand, POV lurching and swinging all over the damn place. What the fuck? Put it down somewhere FFS, or prop it against something
I do video calling with my grandmother and I always feel slightly queasy. You have to look at the phone to be attentive, but if she doesn't put it down on her stand it either wobbles a lot in her hand, or she holds it so her head is positioned so it's cut off at the bottom left of the screen. Ah well, as long as she can see me and she's enjoying being able to chat with the family, that's what matters.

I fear what would've happened if we hadn't managed to get her setup with video calling pre-pandemic.

The other nuisance is she's on an Apple device using their video calling instead of a device agnostic video calling app, so I always have to have an iPhone available because it's what she's used to and it's what everyone else in the family uses.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The thing with grandma not being a pro at situating the phone for video calls totally reminded me of this Bo Burnham song.

https://youtu.be/ChgFo74WxZ8
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
BIL wrote:Christ almighty - people who do phone interviews with the phone in their hand, POV lurching and swinging all over the damn place. What the fuck? Put it down somewhere FFS, or prop it against something
I do video calling with my grandmother and I always feel slightly queasy. You have to look at the phone to be attentive, but if she doesn't put it down on her stand it either wobbles a lot in her hand, or she holds it so her head is positioned so it's cut off at the bottom left of the screen. Ah well, as long as she can see me and she's enjoying being able to chat with the family, that's what matters.

I fear what would've happened if we hadn't managed to get her setup with video calling pre-pandemic.

The other nuisance is she's on an Apple device using their video calling instead of a device agnostic video calling app, so I always have to have an iPhone available because it's what she's used to and it's what everyone else in the family uses.
I terminated an interview a few months ago because the kid was babysitting his niece in the park with people screaming all over the place. I told him to go somewhere quieter due to the background noise and he tried, but in the end I gave up. In my day that interview would have been terminated within 10 seconds. If folk agree to a time for an interview the very least you would expect is that they would be in a quiet room ready to answer questions in a civilized manner. It didn't annoy me, but I felt like he definitely put himself at a disadvantage as I had others to interview that took the whole matter a bit more seriously.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Pardon the OT, but rather like the drunk thread, sometimes it's genuinely nice to see an old post ITT and remember you're not there any more. Fucking hell, no more buses for me thanks.

...I guess you'd have the exact opposite experience, if you saw an old post with the status quo unchanged. :shock: Condo-lolololol-ences 3;
Last edited by BIL on Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Preach. Each day I wake up is another day grateful for not having to use a bus.

We had some wack regulars on the First Worst Western route in and out of Bristol - from Chatty Grandma whose internal volume setting got stuck on MAX++ at some indeterminate point in the past, to Headphones Lad who thought buying open-back cans to blast shit music during his commute was in any way a good idea, through innumerable iterations of Inattentive Parent With Screaming Child, and even a couple of guest appearances from Man With Piss Aura.

And that's if the bus shows up at all, actually stops at the bus stop, and has a driver nice enough to let you on after the ticketing app hard-locks itself. Thank goodness for hindsight.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Chatty Grandmas and other audioshites are arguably the dark horses of a foul bunch - while Shitmen prompt the Vicks Flask (I later learned its prized status amongst paramedics, those poor bastards), chatter encourages tactical Deaf, aka earbuds... which work great, until the VR Bus 20XX RNG spawns one of these mad fuckers in the seat behind you. :shock: "He has to stay on the bus forever" indeed.

Fleetingly fond memory of nodding off (bad idea, but I was so thoroughly demoralised I didn't care), waking only to face a new nightmare: sat between a pack of Auld Glaswegian Slappers in a screaming match with two Flamboyantly Gay Pousybois; the latter having apparently scolded the harpies' errant spawn, at some point in our long, arduous trip to darkest Scotchland. The incipient feud never amounted to anything, beyond some broguey mutual accusations of an over-fondness for cock; but I do treasure those seconds of wondering if the hags were shrieking at an instance of me ol' mucker Psycho Cannibal Killer, and thinking "Fuck! Two days from retirement! I'm the token cannon fodder spawn!"
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'm all for good mass public transit, but people who've tasted the joy of solitude in being able to drive a car can really appreciate not having to deal with the general public. The worst part of public transit isn't the additional wait and travel time, it's having to risk direct, close-quarters encounters with crazies.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I still regard public transport as a great thing, in concept - where I grew up in the countryside, there were no bus, train or tram services whatsoever; in fact there still aren't, just infamously ad-hoc taxis. You've little choice but to drive, if you've anything but the shortest commute. Way too many cars as a result, overall; mornings can be hell even in my quiet little town, never mind the big urban centres like Kingston. (even cycling is dicey, with ~90f+/~70% humidity year-round; can easily prompt a shower and change of clothes, not something everyone's school/work will have)

So when I moved to the UK for study, I found it marvelously convenient hopping on the bus to get around town... thing is, I was living in leafy green toffsville, Dahn Sahf. First time I walked into a Glaswegian railway waiting room with a floor covered in puke I froze like a deer in headlights. :shock: I suppose a lot depends on the locals. I'm guessing those BART horror stories coming out of San Fran (entire loaves of shit baking in the escalators Image) don't apply to the Martha's Vineyard set. :lol:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I hate the term "Deep cut". I really just hate it. Just say "Obscure" you fucking pretentious bastards.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

What about the term "Deep Throat?"
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Mischief Maker wrote:What about the term "Deep Throat?"
"I am not a crook" :mrgreen:

' ' ⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ ͠⁠°⁠ ͟⁠ʖ⁠ ⁠°͠⁠ ⁠)⁠_⁠/ ' '
We apologise for the inconvenience
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Man. I don't understand why this is the only video game community that isn't horrendously insufferable. It's annoying getting into any game and without fail, it's scene regardless of size is just filled with socially stunted assholes.
Lander

Post by Lander »

In part I'd attribute that to shmupsfarm caring about skill and self betterment; engaging with games as games rather than as a vehicle for sales numberwang, console warring, or other social malaise that affects more common-or-garden discussion spaces.

Plus, the shift to communities as subsidiaries of larger more general entities (ex. Reddit, Discord, Fandom) has exacerbated the lowest-common-denominator factor. It's easier than ever to find a place to talk about a thing, and thus easier than ever to be a socially stunted asshole about it.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The funny thing is that the complaint has been leveled at the forum in the past that because of allowing discussion of non-shmup related games, it is insufficiently focused on skill and self-betterment. This of course ignores the fact that there are skilled player who do enjoy other games than just shmups, and that not everyone who plays shmups should feel pressured or ashamed if they don't necessarily play them well. Work, caring for one's family, and other life priorities mean that you don't necessarily have the spare time or energy to invest in videogames to get to the point where you're a *superplayer* or whatever. There's nothing wrong with this of course, and it's fine to enjoy shmups or anything else even if you're not particularly good!

Of course, if you're a socially stunted asshole, none of these things stop you from shaming those who aren't obsessively chasing after those sweet, sweet high scores.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rhetorical music in documentaries. Serious matters speak for themselves and should be presented sans affectation. Not incidentally, the term of scorn "melodrama" literally translates as "drama set to music."

Case in point, that auld favourite the chomo copper is back onscreen once more. As with the late Bill Conradt, an assistant DA who put a moon roof in the back of his head when rumbled - the subject speaks for itself. Position of authority + predator = headfirst into an industrial shredder positioned directly over an incinerator that's rigged up to a leaf blower. Dust, wind, or the nearest civilised equivalent thereof. Adding babby's first frootyloops horror BGM just gives bang-to-rights piggus unearned wriggle-room.