The Shmups Forum Dead Pool

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
xxx1993

Re: The Shmups.com Dead Pool *now accepting tragedies from 2

Post by xxx1993 »

Mischief Maker wrote:Aww... The Neverending Story was the central film of my childhood.
Were you also one of those people who cried when Artax drowned in the Swamp of Sadness?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I cried multiple times during that film.

Dang though, I just looked through his other films and I couldn't really find anything else I care about much at all. I remember seeing Enemy Mine on VHS in the late 80s and not hating it, but it definitely wasn't anything close to Neverending Story.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Well, at least Artax comes back later on. That's why I'm not too affected by his death. Enemy Mine is a classic, though.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Oh man, Enemy Mine is great. Hell in the Pacific in space! I too loved NE Story growing up and watched it who knows how many times. Watched it again a few years back to see if it held up, the unrated German cut with the original music. It's still enjoyable, but it's explicitly a children's movie, despite the more melancholic soundtrack in the original cut. Which isn't a bad thing, of course, just certain elements (like the main kid) are harder to enjoy as a grumpy man. Methinks if you just focused on Atreyu's quest It'd be a much more solid affair, turning it into a movie geared towards children, rather than a movie for children.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I guess I should rewatch Enemy Mine. It's been over 30 years, so maybe I just wasn't in the right mind set; I know I enjoyed it somewhat, but I have a vague memory of being disappointed for some reason, like maybe it wasn't violent enough for my pre-teen angst.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

Add Das Boot to your list as well if it’s been a while. It’s a top-tier white knuckler, on par with Sorcerer. A quiet room, good sound setup, small amount of cannabis cranks the intensity of those two up to an 11.
BIL

Post by BIL »

rapoon wrote:Add Das Boot to your list as well if it’s been a while. It’s a top-tier white knuckler, on par with Sorcerer. A quiet room, good sound setup, small amount of cannabis cranks the intensity of those two up to an 11.
WuhwuhwuhWORD. Image Das Boot is some INTENSE APOCALYPTIC SHIT Image :shock: A journey to the edge of sanity. Sorcerer-esque indeed! Image Imma rewatch 2-NITE in honour of HERR PETERSEN - who I must confess I'd no idea directed TNES! Which I never saw as a kid, but always liked the gist of! But x93 are you saying the horse came back later?! :o That is some lameass DBZ Bullshit tbh! Children should learn to know death through such fanciful tales! Oh well.

Regrettably, I do not have any good Deutschebiers on hand >_< I'll make do with this Anglo piswasser! Image RIP badass submarine movie / novel adaptationist man ;-;7

Jesus wept. RIP baby girl.

When you want US-horrific gang crime with an all-white cast, that's Liverpool for you. I wonder how it'll turn out. Bit of an ask for even hardened scouse gangsters to hide the POS who did that.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Michael Madsen.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Are you sure? Doesn't seem to be anywhere online. I hope it's not true, always came across as pretty decent offscreen.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Never mind…
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Here's an actual death: Mikhail Gorbachev, age 91. The last of his kind too, being the last Soviet Union leader. Now with him gone, it truly feels like the end of an age.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Mitsuhiro Yoshida, creator of the Kunio-kun/Downtown Nekketsu/River City Ransom series, passed away on August 30. For whatever reason, not a single one of the sources reporting on his death mention how old he was.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sad to hear; from what Jonny2x4 said, he sounded like one of the real oldschool stalwarts. Being a bit too young to have caught these guys' 80s/early 90s heydays, I always appreciate it when they keep the flag flying as long as he did.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Last edited by xxx1993 on Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

^ Bah :P

Queen Elizabeth II, the second-longest reigning monarch in history at 70½ years (surpassed only by Louis XIV at 72 years), has passed away at 96 years of age.
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Ok. So I guess they have a king over there now. Doesn't seem to make too much of a difference who's the figurehead though, does it?
bottino

Post by bottino »

*now accepting tragedies from 2022*
vol.2 wrote:Ok. So I guess they have a king over there now. Doesn't seem to make too much of a difference who's the figurehead though, does it?
Nah, that's only one phase down; TLB requirements haven't been met yet.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rest well, ma'am. Image You made my granny happy when you drove past her front gate on one of your several visits to our hood, and my mom too, with your heroic fronting of Hello! magazine as Paedo Andy and that race-baiting Amerimutt whore did their best to destroy your family name.

I'm off to demolish a sixpack of Guinness and enjoy some jacket potatoes, as is Ulster tradition. ;-;7
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote:I'm off to demolish a sixpack of Guinness and enjoy some jacket potatoes, as is Ulster tradition. ;-;7
Sounds perf. I'm stuck inside with the gf lousy with covid together and waiting on Mexican food. Going to watch Platoon tonight. :)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sorry to hear bud, had a touch of it meself last month, was painful! But glad you've got company and good food + good movies, it improves things Image
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

vol.2 wrote:
BIL wrote:I'm off to demolish a sixpack of Guinness and enjoy some jacket potatoes, as is Ulster tradition. ;-;7
Sounds perf. I'm stuck inside with the gf lousy with covid together and waiting on Mexican food. Going to watch Platoon tonight. :)
Ahh...sorry v2. I got it during graduation in June. This round seems to be fucking everyone. Feel better!
My lord, I have come for you.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Stevens wrote:
vol.2 wrote:
Ahh...sorry v2. I got it during graduation in June. This round seems to be fucking everyone. Feel better!
Thanks man. Yeah, I'm feeling a bit better now; it's mostly lingering symptoms and annoyance that I can't go out lol.
BIL wrote:Sorry to hear bud, had a touch of it meself last month, was painful! But glad you've got company and good food + good movies, it improves things Image
Thanks BIL! Hope yer taters were all you hoped and dreamed. :D
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Shichiro Kobayashi, animation art director who had worked on many classic anime series like Lupin III, Cobra, Utena, Golgo 13, and many more, has passed away at 90 years of age.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

The Queen's beekeeper has to tell the bees she's dead in a ritual. :shrug: kinda weird

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk ... s-24986089
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Don't be fooled by it appearing to be a local news source, the story is classic tabloid dreck. A lot of "regional" news in the UK is owned and operated by the Mirror - sourced from a pool of bots and "journalists" with zero local knowledge. In this case the source Mirror article cites the Daily Mail - an absolute cesspit which uses cheery clickbait non-stories to hook you into its core message of stirring up racial/social tension. I would not be surprised if this were entirely made up and the guy's just trying to make a quick buck from the tabloids, and right now anything vaguely Queen-based is going in because it's into the 3rd day of non-stop news coverage and they've run out of interviews with people who once met the Queen.

Rest assurred that royal tradition is far more bonkers than trying to commune with bees!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

lol. I thought it was a cute story. Oh well, I guess reality is stranger than fiction.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Jean Luc Godard, just the other day at age 91.

I've been meaning to finally watch Breathless. Maybe this forum can give it and others a recommendation?

I remember him saying that once he was dead movies would be over. A little pompous (per your usual french artist), but then I think about all these comic book movies and disney reboots...
drauch

Post by drauch »

I do not like Breathless, or Godard the person. As mentioned, I thought he was a pompous twat. But I also kinda don't really like French New Wave that much, at least the stuff with frivolous youth meandering about. I think something like The 400 Blows is infinitely more watchable and deserving of praise.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
bottino

Post by bottino »

Back in the 60's, Goddard's La Chinoise was one of the many movies censored by the military dictatorship that ruled Brazil. After the usual lines about "communist propaganda", the censor closed her remarks:
The montage is first-class, Goddard's technique is, unquestionably, one of the most perfect. Sound mixing well-within the class of the master of French new wave cinema
And then banned the movie.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

It got Coolio. He did indeed live beyond 24. And now he's on his fantastic voyage to paradise.

https://abc13.com/coolio-dead-death-gan ... /12277176/