shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:10 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: HARD ROCK SOLDIER x HEAVY METAL KILLER: Rawk Thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:28 am 

Enjoying a Joey Diaz podcast when I was reminded of dude's good taste in his balls-hard British rock. Image

Zep II, Bloody Sabbath and High/Dry. You can tell dudes know what's up when they'll rep HnD loud and proud. Forget the sugary pop/rock shite Lep became known for later on - this thing is fuckin dynamite. End to end, not a single lapse to the diamond-hard Purp/DC via NWOBHM. (go with the OG tracklist that ends in "No No No" - some reissues suffer from bonus track padding. decent enough material, but inevitably diluting of the pitch-perfect ten track sledgehammer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw-TRWMCHr8

(I actually like Pyromania a lot - some decent rock and metal in there, and both the writing and production is admirably polished - and even Hysteria isn't offensive, just categorically inferior. still, neither has anything to do with the raucous yet immaculately crisp hard rock perfected here)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:06 am 

Mötley Crüe, Too Fast For Love

One of my all time favorite heavy metal albums. High energy chugging and tastefully discriminating use of cow bells; pop heavy metal peaked with this album.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:08 pm 

Just found out about Saxon. This has got to be some of the best down and dirty rock I’ve heard. Monster riffs for days.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:23 am 

vol.2 wrote:
Mötley Crüe, Too Fast For Love

One of my all time favorite heavy metal albums. High energy chugging and tastefully discriminating use of cow bells; pop heavy metal peaked with this album.

Damn good. Image I don't know Crue beyond their most obvious 80s radio stuff, which I always regarded as agreeable LA glam (in a couple cases, "Kickstart My Heart" and "Dr. Feelgood," excellent LA glam - gotta respect a good hook). I'm actually more familiar with Nikki Sixx's solo work, read tons of interviews with him and John Corabi in the mid-90s.

Had no idea about this way punkier sound, though. Raw and catchy, but not in a stripped-down pop-punk Ramones way... on the contrary, I was surprised at how 70s English glam-influenced it sounds, at first - before remembering Nikki Sixx is a huge fan of that scene. Sounds very Sweet/T-Rex, sometimes even Mott The Hoople / Bowie (Public Enemy #1, Starry Eyes, Merry-go-Round and On With The Show - the latter's lyrics are very All The Young Dudes, good bittersweet stuff). Even got a Beatlesy three-part harmony on Toast of the Town, a good one at that!

Mick Mars is an underrated force. Those melancholic shading chords in "Live Wire" and "Starry Eyes" give me that same quasi-shmupping STG vibe as High n' Dry's more intense numbers, haha. Combat rockin'. Image Dudes on a mission to get laid. :lol: "Take Me To The Top" has some wrecking ball riffing... love the power-shifting gear changes and bruising harmonics.

Which mastering do you prefer? I went straight for the Leathur mix - just been my experience with similarly punky startups like Megadeth, Celtic Frost and Venom that the muddier, grittier mixes do better.

Cheers for another great rec bud, you've got a nose for killer hard rock. :cool:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:05 pm 

BIL wrote:
Had no idea about this way punkier sound, though. Raw and catchy, but not in a stripped-down pop-punk Ramones way... on the contrary, I was surprised at how 70s English glam-influenced it sounds, at first - before remembering Nikki Sixx is a huge fan of that scene. Sounds very Sweet/T-Rex, sometimes even Mott The Hoople / Bowie

For sure. If I had to point my finger at one of those, it would clearly be Sweet ala Desolation Boulevard. But without any of the nostalgia and innocence that permeated those truly 70s glam outfits. The stripped-downedness is not just instrumental, it's categorical. The empty space is filled with the ennui and sickness of the 80s. I get the same feeling watching the Return of the Living Dead in some ways.

Quote:
Mick Mars is an underrated force. Those melancholic shading chords in "Live Wire" and "Starry Eyes" give me that same quasi-shmupping STG vibe as High n' Dry's more intense numbers, haha. Combat rockin'. Image Dudes on a mission to get laid. :lol: "Take Me To The Top" has some wrecking ball riffing... love the power-shifting gear changes and bruising harmonics.

Only because Tommy is such an amazing drummer that easily outshines the rest of the band. I think that was their greatest strength and also proved to be their achilleas heel. But every member of Crue is excellent.

Quote:
Which mastering do you prefer? I went straight for the Leathur mix - just been my experience with similarly punky startups like Megadeth, Celtic Frost and Venom that the muddier, grittier mixes do better.

I prefer the Electra mix because I have been listening to it for so long. It's not really an aesthetic choice for me as this album is so engrained in my brain that I cannot disconnect the wiring. I agree though, if I sat down and did a cold listen to both mixes, I would most likely go for the grit.

Quote:
Cheers for another great rec bud, you've got a nose for killer hard rock. :cool:

8) Absolutely. Your rec's are always amazing and I'm happy I could share a thing you hadn't yet stumbled upon. I did a pretty hard detour back into metal recently, so any good finds would be welcome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:04 pm 

Beholder (featuring our own FinalBaton)'s new record Arcane Subreptice is out now. :cool: Blistered-black thrash ala To Mega Therion, exuding the classic mastery of savage horsepower and crushing doom in a wickedly aerodynamic MotorVenom package. If you dig any of those guys' iconic works, you'll want to blast this one end-to-end. Their Ancien Monde EP is killer, too. Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:46 pm 

I'm in a bit of a power metal mood lately. After the surprisingly excellent new Rage album, my latest discovery is the icelandic band Power Paladin and their debut With the Magic of Windfyre Steel.

At first I thought that it was a parody outfit, but apparently it's just a bunch of guys unironically playing metal like it's 1988. Granted, it's nothing you haven't heard before, but the enthusiasm is palpable and, thankfully, they never try to sound 'retro' or something. Bonus points for sneaking the Zelda overworld theme into the solo of Righteous Fury.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:50 pm 

Checking out Savatage. Seems really decent so far. I’d imagine that King Diamond fans would like this band also.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7