Movies you've just watched

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Randorama

Re: Movies you've just watched

Post by Randorama »

xxx1993 wrote:True. When was the last time we saw the main character of his or her own franchise kick the bucket anyway?
Movies, not so much (but The Doctor technically dies and is reborn every iteration, on TV).
Books and comics, quite a few, and sometimes I think that "possible worlds" theory was invented to justify reboots of franchises and characters more than phenomena in physics.
Dr. BIL basically gives you a layman's version of what people like Marie Louise Ryan have been proposing for a while, or: just think about what DC comics and Marvel have been doing for a while with their universes (or, well before that, Matsumoto Leiji with Harlock and co....).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Double-post and a tangent, sorry gents.
BIL wrote:
Randorama wrote:I still have to watch the latest Bond, but I do hope that for the next instalment(s), they take Garth Ennis' Jimmy's Bastards as a model.
Fuck yeah. Image That'd be a pitch-perfect contrapuntal to the Craig films, and it'd get the usual suspects cucking. I mean clucking. Image :cool:
I see that you are a man of taste, Dr. Birru-fordo!

...and the irony of it all is that Jimmy's is a parody of the John Steed/Roger Moore's interpretation of the usual "Brit spy games", by an Ulsterian.
Below the whole edgy style, toilet humour and usual, copious amounts of gore, Ennis' commentary on a lot of topics is actually spot-on (e.g., "you're from the Valleeeys!").
Ennis is from somewhere near Belfast and has written sterling, non-trivial work on, say, The Troubles, toxic masculinity and the likes, and could write an excellent Bond, in my opinion.
Warren Ellis and Kieron Gillen have also written great stuff in the Bond comics, which generally look rather bland but have great stories.

Overall, my two cents: the Broccoli clan (damn those f*!¤ing Italians! non li sopporto proprio, cazzo!) should hire a British writer, possibly one of the aforementioned lads, because they tend to have a perhaps more personal and deeper grasp of the themes that Fleming touched upon, in his books.

They should also remember that Bond was never supposed to be role model, to put in a very trivial, very naïve way (not even an anti-hero, but at most the least worst villain-ish character of the lot).
Fleming exaggerated the toxic aspects to underline that the spy world is a veritable environment of broken people doing broken things to other broken people, for absolutely morally bankrupt reasons.
Really, Bond movies may at best be cathartic, and make people think "thank X I am not living in *that* world".

I am also all for a very white, very brit actor to carry on the role.
If we want to go WOKE (ack!), then i wouldn't dump the single worst character in Brit fiction (after Joe Dredd, of course) to any other ethnicity, nationality, minority or whatever group in the Commonwealth.

...I am OK if they re-introduce a children-friendly version of Drax, though (Jaws? The guy with the fake teeth :wink:).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

If it's an arch take on the Pierce Brosnan gentleman spy trope you want, check out "Tailor of Panama."
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Again, legendary frauds return! Dune 1984/2021 Re:View.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Watched on Sunday actually.

I had fun with this movie. Sure, it's not perfect and it kind of falls apart about 3/4 of the way through the movie, but that was clearly a trade-off due to limited screen time and too much ground to cover.

All in all it's a decent attempt and I had a lot of fun watching it with my buddies in the theater.
Spoiler
The main issue in my view is that the movie is not exactly a reboot, but a setup for a reboot. The story focuses on Egon's family as his grandchildren stumble upon his secret lair and the mystery that he tracked to a small town in the middle of nowhere. About 3/4 of the way through the movie, they tie the old GB squad into the story and the mystery kind of solves itself rather than us following the cast to the answer. The upside to that is that it becomes a transitional film in anticipation of a true return to ghostbusting, which we are to assume happens back in NYC and is led by Winston.
I have to say I've always been a fan of transitional works, and as much as this movie is going to piss off a lot of people, I still felt like it was generally well written, well cast and well acted, and I had a hell of a lot of fun watching it. It's hard for me to compare it to the second movie, because I saw that one so long ago, but I think I might have enjoyed it more than that one.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Randorama wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:True. When was the last time we saw the main character of his or her own franchise kick the bucket anyway?
Movies, not so much (but The Doctor technically dies and is reborn every iteration, on TV).
Books and comics, quite a few, and sometimes I think that "possible worlds" theory was invented to justify reboots of franchises and characters more than phenomena in physics.
Dr. BIL basically gives you a layman's version of what people like Marie Louise Ryan have been proposing for a while, or: just think about what DC comics and Marvel have been doing for a while with their universes (or, well before that, Matsumoto Leiji with Harlock and co....).
I was never a fan of seeing the hero die. It's especially bad that he can't survive his or her own adventure, when all they had to do was temporarily delay the world's destruction.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Last Night In Soho - 4/5.

I love the music/visual sync in Edgar Wright movies. Very nightmarish.

Run, Hide, Fight - 4/5

A good B-movie.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

xxx1993 wrote: I was never a fan of seeing the hero die. It's especially bad that he can't survive his or her own adventure, when all they had to do was temporarily delay the world's destruction.
Too bad the hero won't live! But then, who does? :wink:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Blade Runner? You made me think of
Spoiler
poor K from 2049.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Last Night in SoHo was great. Even managed to get the poster!

Finally saw Devil In A Blue Dress.

Honestly wasn't too into it, but Denzel and especially Don Cheadle are great.

Kind of reminded me of LA Confidential: mediocre movie held together by amazing performances.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

maybe i'll have to check it out. my friend described it as "last night in sohzzzzzzzzzzzz." so was going to give it a pass.
cocoron

Post by cocoron »

vol.2 wrote:Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Watched on Sunday actually.

I had fun with this movie. Sure, it's not perfect and it kind of falls apart about 3/4 of the way through the movie, but that was clearly a trade-off due to limited screen time and too much ground to cover.
I saw it on Monday and for the entertainment part it was quite enjoyable for me.
Yeah, it was a little bit rushed after about 90 minutes. The original actors also didn't got too many dialogs and gags as we all like and love compared to the first two movies.
They tried to connect the older and younger generation and in the end it was a solid movie worth to watch.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

BIL wrote:Again, legendary frauds return! Dune 1984/2021 Re:View.
Just in time, I saw DUNC two nights ago in the theater. Finding a theater that was still playing it was actually pretty tough.

Interesting the movie glosses over a lot of court politics which I think is a huge part of the book (my memories of the book anyhow). The freedom-fighter stuff and the Fremen stuff is honestly dull to me as it was in the novel, and the novel spends ages with it, so I hope the next 3-hour DUNC trims that down and we actually see characters like Feyd, the emperor, the Guild Navigators, etc. In fact a lot of chars who have more screentime in the Lynch Dune or the novel are basically written off here, which I felt was strange. I guess it's just a different focus all together.

I think DUNC was good/solid as compared to Villeneuve's previous movies. Huge sense of scale and humans dwarfed by gigantic structures seem to be his fetish, and I can't fault him for that. I feel like my (now 8 years-removed) reading the novel helped fill some of the gaps, I feel like there is some context/plot that was elided over. Still, enjoyable!

Dunno how Denis managed to make Lady Jessica end the hottest woman in the film. Are they trying to impart some type of oedipal complex into the audience? Was this for real or was I just dreaming? No one knows yet.

Also, can we stop getting the same Hans Zimmer farts for every big budget epic movie soundtrack?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

cocoron wrote: I saw it on Monday and for the entertainment part it was quite enjoyable for me.
Yeah, it was a little bit rushed after about 90 minutes. The original actors also didn't got too many dialogs and gags as we all like and love compared to the first two movies.
They tried to connect the older and younger generation and in the end it was a solid movie worth to watch.
I basically agree with you, and it was still pretty fun to watch. It felt a bit like a netflix movie at times, but a good one. As long as you don't go in with high expectations it's a fun saturday matinee with some buddies.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Home Sweet Home Alone. I was a bit surprised to see Buzz now working as a security guard. He even said the “trout sniffer” line! I also liked the reprisal of “Somewhere in My Memory” as well as the reprisal of “Setting the Trap” in the climax. I was also surprised to learn that the robbers were completely sympathetic and the less villainous ones in the series.
BIL

Post by BIL »

EmperorIng wrote:Dunno how Denis managed to make Lady Jessica end the hottest woman in the film. Are they trying to impart some type of oedipal complex into the audience? Was this for real or was I just dreaming? No one knows yet.
Ye she HAWT Image But not even the rovely Ms. Ferguson will be able to pull off that godawful baldhead chicken Bene Geserit look in Part 2 - a great disturbance will occur, millions of Oedipal boners deflating violently! 3; *fweeeeeeeeee*

UNLESS they chuck that detail out the window -

Wait. Paul didn't go Forever Bald in the book, did he? >_> What if they decide to even the score instead, and bald 'em both? Christ. This might turn into a nightmare!
Yes! Much like that!
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

BIL wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:Dunno how Denis managed to make Lady Jessica end the hottest woman in the film. Are they trying to impart some type of oedipal complex into the audience? Was this for real or was I just dreaming? No one knows yet.
Ye she HAWT Image But not even the rovely Ms. Ferguson will be able to pull off that godawful baldhead chicken Bene Geserit look in Part 2 - a great disturbance will occur, millions of Oedipal boners deflating violently! 3; *fweeeeeeeeee*
Nah, that was just Lynch being weird.

Here's what DUNC Jessica will look like as a Fremen reverend mother (note the spice-blue eyes):

Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh thank God Image
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

vol.2 wrote:maybe i'll have to check it out. my friend described it as "last night in sohzzzzzzzzzzzz." so was going to give it a pass.
It's a lot of things, but it's never boring.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I watched Jungle Cruise. I know, I know, I know. You are thinking "why on earth would he watch that?" Honestly, I just needed something really easy to watch when I was feeling kind of sick and this really fit the bill.

It's also not nearly as bad as the reviews say it is. Sure, it's not some kind of artistic masterpiece or action adventure spectacle, but it totally succeeds in filling the role it intended to; it's a light-hearted family-friendly adventure movie. It's no Goonies or anything, but it's plenty of fun and the Rock does a decent job of carrying the weight of the narrative while Emily Blunt takes care of driving the story forward. There is some canned-wokeness, but it's not really intrusive and is fairly defanged by virtue of it being set in the 1930s.

If you just want to pass time watching a silly adventure movie with some supernatural elements, you could do worse.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I rewatched new Bond with me nan. The bit where
Spoiler
Bond inadvertently kills Blofeld with the Heracles,
she thought he'd accidentally choked him to death, I cried laughing. I wish this was canon. It is canon, I will edit the film. Image
DMC

Post by DMC »

I watched Harakiri (or Seppuku?) from 1962 yesterday. Late to the party but what awesome storytelling it offered. I was glued to the story.
I thought the complexities of the samurai code of honor and the psychological conflict of each character was extremely well played. Easy 10/10.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056058/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

So because i loved this movie and really liked Kwaidan (1964) from the same director (Masaki Kobayashi) I think I will next see the epic 9-hour trilogy of The Human Condition I,II,III. Don't know what to expect really, but am optimistic.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah yes, a classic. :cool: Passing on Mischief Maker's rec to see The Sword of Doom and Samurai Rebellion, if you haven't. MM recommended them as an iconoclastic anti-samurai trilogy (all being roughly part of Japan's own zankoku jidaigeki / "cruel period piece" tradition) - they work splendidly as so. Bonus for featuring the invaluable, protean Tatsuya Nakadai in three virtually unrecognisable performances, as is his forte. (see also his dual lead in Kagemusha, and his formidable, heartbreaking Lear in Ran)

I enjoyed Kwaidan too, but I have to admit I can't recall much offhand, besides the archetypically chilling "Black Hair." Due a rewatch. This was at the tail-end of a tear through classic 1940s-60s JP cinema I did, several years back, so The Human Condition remains on my bucket list. Always sounded excellent, and Kobayashi is as sure a bet as Kurosawa in my limited experience.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

BIL wrote:Ah yes, a classic. :cool: Passing on Mischief Maker's rec to see The Sword of Doom and Samurai Rebellion, if you haven't. MM recommended them as an iconoclastic anti-samurai trilogy (all being roughly part of Japan's own zankoku jidaigeki / "cruel period piece" tradition) - they work splendidly as so. Bonus for featuring the invaluable, protean Tatsuya Nakadai in three virtually unrecognisable performances, as is his forte. (see also his dual lead in Kagemusha, and his formidable, heartbreaking Lear in Ran)
God bless Four Star Video Heaven in Madison for exposing me to so much foreign cinema in my college years that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Not like I would have sought out an import copy of Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Mischief Maker wrote:
BIL wrote:Ah yes, a classic. :cool: Passing on Mischief Maker's rec to see The Sword of Doom and Samurai Rebellion, if you haven't. MM recommended them as an iconoclastic anti-samurai trilogy (all being roughly part of Japan's own zankoku jidaigeki / "cruel period piece" tradition) - they work splendidly as so. Bonus for featuring the invaluable, protean Tatsuya Nakadai in three virtually unrecognisable performances, as is his forte. (see also his dual lead in Kagemusha, and his formidable, heartbreaking Lear in Ran)
God bless Four Star Video Heaven in Madison for exposing me to so much foreign cinema in my college years that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Not like I would have sought out an import copy of Tetsuo: The Iron Man.
I remember Tetsuo getting a US VHS release, which our little tape club (50% VHSd satellite TV Image) somehow had... the foil-embossed box, and more importantly Shinya Tsukamoto's incandescently hateful glare instantly caught my eye, but my mom glanced at the back cover ("SEX BECOMES A MECHANISTIC ROUTINE") and told me to gtfo :mrgreen: Didn't watch it until last year, ridiculously enough. You know when procrastination becomes so profound, you put off things you actually want to do? :cool:

"Saa... KOI!"
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

I think Tetsuo got a Manga Video release in the UK. I heard about it not long after having seen Akira for the first time and genuinely pondered if it was some sort of sequel.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BIL

Post by BIL »

Interesting... I wonder if Manga were involved in the NTSC one as well. We had a small but hardcore little anime section full of their stuff (Ninja Scroll, Oedo, Wicked City, all the usual Kawajiri hits, plus I think Genocyber... definitely Venus Wars) - was surprised to notice their logo in UK stores on visits, before learning they were actually a British-based label.

Them dubs of legend Image

"It's way past your bedtime motherfucker!"
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

I still have the Oedo OST knocking around somewhere. Scored by Rory McFarlane and unique the British VHS, tracks are peppered with effin' and blindin' and other puerile quips.

"Wouldn't you fuckin know it? We picked the rush hour to chase badguys!"

The best line is actually in the trailer.

"Hey Benten, don't crap your pants if you see a vampire out there."
"Get lost."
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BIL

Post by BIL »

"You wouldn't recognise a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fuckin' dick" :mrgreen:
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

9 to 5: **1/2

1980 dark comedy starring Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton (who wrote the theme song of the same name for this movie which became a #1 hit) where the three play office workers forced to deal with an obnoxiously misogynistic, arrogant and sexually aggressive boss, and who eventually take revenge by kidnapping him and running the company in his absence. It was a hit when it came out and is credited for launching Dolly Parton to stardom, but it feels like it eventually devolves into propaganda more than entertainment. For about 20 minutes in the middle it becomes a much more interesting movie before someone decided it was going off message and went back to something less interesting.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0