PS1 Thunder Storm LX-3 and Road Blaster?...

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
dave4shmups

PS1 Thunder Storm LX-3 and Road Blaster?...

Post by dave4shmups »

Anyone own this double pack? I've never played any laser disc games. not even Dragon's Lair when I was a kid, but Thunder Storm LX-3 (aka Cobra Command) actually looks pretty good! And it is supposed to be superior to the Sega CD port. Does this double pack work on the J-PS2 at all?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Thunder Storm (aka Cobra Command) is probably my favorite laserdisc game (I don't count Starblade since it's not purely LD). If you like these kind of games, the PS1 version on this double pack is a sweet conversion and recommended. I haven't tested it on a PS2 however.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Thunder Force wrote:Thunder Storm (aka Cobra Command) is probably my favorite laserdisc game (I don't count Starblade since it's not purely LD). If you like these kind of games, the PS1 version on this double pack is a sweet conversion and recommended. I haven't tested it on a PS2 however.
Thanks for that input, TF! :D Is Galaxian 3 laser disc? It's not listed on the dragon's lair project website, but from the screenshots I've seen, it looks like a laser disc game.

BTW, Kiken informed me of the Dragon's Lair Deluxe Pack for PC! Looks pretty sweet; a great cheap way to play Dragon's Lair I and II and Space Ace; none of which I've ever played before.

And does anyone own Dragon's Lair 3D? The XBOX rev. get's higher ratings from Game Sport and IGN then the Cube rev.-probably because the XBOX rev. was developed by Ubisoft.
Farewell to hollow words
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

The US Xbox version of Dragon's Lair 3D supports HDTV resolution up to 1080i. Maybe that is why it gets higher ratings ?
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

dave4shmups wrote:Is Galaxian 3 laser disc? It's not listed on the dragon's lair project website, but from the screenshots I've seen, it looks like a laser disc game.
Galaxian^3 is like Starblade, a mixture of realtime and laserdisc visuals.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Play Space Ace on Sega CD. I finished it in my 2nd go by just circling the dpad and pressing the button non-stop.

Cobra Command on Sega CD was very enjoyable. Nothing amazing, but it delivers what was expected. Plays incredibly better than that shitty Sewer Shark.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Thunder Force wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:Is Galaxian 3 laser disc? It's not listed on the dragon's lair project website, but from the screenshots I've seen, it looks like a laser disc game.
Galaxian^3 is like Starblade, a mixture of realtime and laserdisc visuals.
Thanks! Does the PS1 version of Thunder Storm feature English voices, because obviously, in a laser disc game, voice commands are very important.

Interesting point about the HDTV support that XBOX Dragon's Lair 3D-but what about the fact that the XBOX port was publishedd by Ubisoft? Then again, both were developed by Dragonstone Software.
Farewell to hollow words
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

dave4shmups wrote:Does the PS1 version of Thunder Storm feature English voices
Yes, it does.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Thunder Force wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:Does the PS1 version of Thunder Storm feature English voices
Yes, it does.
Very nice; thanks! :D
Farewell to hollow words
PC Engine Fan X!

Data East's Cobra Command LD-based arcade game from 1984

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

If you remember that LaserDisc based arcade games came & went from 1982 to 1984 (such a short period of time if you ask me). Ah yes, memories of play the original Data East produced "Cobra Command" LaserDisc-based arcade game that came out in U.S. arcades circa 1984. It cost a mere two quarters (back in the day) per credit to play a single session of Cobra Command -- hence, a dollar's worth would only net an arcade player two games worth. Back in the early 1980's, when arcade operators decided to start charging 50 cents per credit, it did indeed start becoming expensive to play the 50 cent-based arcade games (for example) like all the LaserDisc-based arcade games. Even the sit-down arcade cabinet of Bally Midway's Spy Hunter was 50 cents "a pop" to play when it first came out.

Of course the LaserDisc based arcades sorta made a comeback with the in the late 1980's into the early 1990's with the anime laserdisc arcade game of "Freedom Fighter" circa 1989...a sorta of generic 1st person view shooter (but Galaxy 999 anime cutscenes of course) along with Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (Nintendo Co. Ltd. had a hand along with Leland Corporation in producing it as well) and lastly, with "Time Traveler" 'holographic' arcade game from Sega Enterprises Ltd (both LaserDisc arcade game titles came out in 1991). Again, it was really upto the arcade operators to charge 75 cents per credit for the aforementioned two early 1990's LaserDisc arcade games. (I recall someone selling the full-sized Time Traveller arcade game for a mere $250.00 USD at a local used video game shop back in 1995...I passed up on the opportunity to buy it though.) ^_~

If you were around in 1984, you might recall that there were two shmup-based LaserDisc arcade games (the 2nd one I forget the name of it but yes, I've played it back in 1986-1987 which had some cool anime cutscenes between gameplay!) the first one is called "Interstellar" from Funai (of Japan) that was produced in both upright full-sized arcade cabinet & the rarer version of the deluxe sit-down enclosed arcade cabinet for the full immersion effect. Funai did produce a cool "Interstellar" arcade promo poster with the tagline of: 3,2,1...Blast Off to Interstellar Adventures! It showed some cool screenshots directly from the arcade game itself.

If you want to see the world's largest collection of LaserDisc-based arcade games in one location, head on down to the once-a-year California Extreme show at the San Jose Convention Center's Parkside Hall in San Jose, California. Visit their cool website for more info at: http://www.caextreme.org

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dave4shmups

Re: Data East's Cobra Command LD-based arcade game from 1984

Post by dave4shmups »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:If you remember that LaserDisc based arcade games came & went from 1982 to 1984 (such a short period of time if you ask me). Ah yes, memories of play the original Data East produced "Cobra Command" LaserDisc-based arcade game that came out in U.S. arcades circa 1984. It cost a mere two quarters (back in the day) per credit to play a single session of Cobra Command -- hence, a dollar's worth would only net an arcade player two games worth. Back in the early 1980's, when arcade operators decided to start charging 50 cents per credit, it did indeed start becoming expensive to play the 50 cent-based arcade games (for example) like all the LaserDisc-based arcade games. Even the sit-down arcade cabinet of Bally Midway's Spy Hunter was 50 cents "a pop" to play when it first came out.

Of course the LaserDisc based arcades sorta made a comeback with the in the late 1980's into the early 1990's with the anime laserdisc arcade game of "Freedom Fighter" circa 1989...a sorta of generic 1st person view shooter (but Galaxy 999 anime cutscenes of course) along with Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (Nintendo Co. Ltd. had a hand along with Leland Corporation in producing it as well) and lastly, with "Time Traveler" 'holographic' arcade game from Sega Enterprises Ltd (both LaserDisc arcade game titles came out in 1991). Again, it was really upto the arcade operators to charge 75 cents per credit for the aforementioned two early 1990's LaserDisc arcade games. (I recall someone selling the full-sized Time Traveller arcade game for a mere $250.00 USD at a local used video game shop back in 1995...I passed up on the opportunity to buy it though.) ^_~

If you were around in 1984, you might recall that there were two shmup-based LaserDisc arcade games (the 2nd one I forget the name of it but yes, I've played it back in 1986-1987 which had some cool anime cutscenes between gameplay!) the first one is called "Interstellar" from Funai (of Japan) that was produced in both upright full-sized arcade cabinet & the rarer version of the deluxe sit-down enclosed arcade cabinet for the full immersion effect. Funai did produce a cool "Interstellar" arcade promo poster with the tagline of: 3,2,1...Blast Off to Interstellar Adventures! It showed some cool screenshots directly from the arcade game itself.

If you want to see the world's largest collection of LaserDisc-based arcade games in one location, head on down to the once-a-year California Extreme show at the San Jose Convention Center's Parkside Hall in San Jose, California. Visit their cool website for more info at: http://www.caextreme.org

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Wow, it seems like every time I get on the net, I read about another game show! I thought that E3 and the Classic Gaming Expo were it! Thanks PC Engine Fan X! :D
Farewell to hollow words
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Don't forget the AMOA (Amusement and Music Operators Association) Expo. Although it's nowhere near as influential as it used to be, in the early 90's, it was the showing ground of many a Japanese arcade game into America.

Anyway, the reason why the SCD versions of the interactive games suck is because of the heavy compression used and underwhelming Genesis graphical power, resulting in poor video quality. The SS versions of all the interactive game packs are also supposed to have poorer quality than the PS versions so have fun with the best home versions available!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Ganelon wrote:Don't forget the AMOA (Amusement and Music Operators Association) Expo. Although it's nowhere near as influential as it used to be, in the early 90's, it was the showing ground of many a Japanese arcade game into America.

Anyway, the reason why the SCD versions of the interactive games suck is because of the heavy compression used and underwhelming Genesis graphical power, resulting in poor video quality. The SS versions of all the interactive game packs are also supposed to have poorer quality than the PS versions so have fun with the best home versions available!
Thanks, I will have fun with this pack..once I resolve the following dilemna:

I am currently trying to figure out whether or not I should-

get a modded PS1,
pr wait for the Price to drop on the J-PSTwo, once the JPS3 comes out, and get a J-PSTwo.

Obviously the first option would be the cheapest-and Cotton Original, 100%, Project X, and ZanacXZanac are some of my fav. shmups. Plus, I know that this laserdisc game collection will work on a modded PS1-I don't know if it works on the J-PSTwo.

On the other hand, although I'm not that fond of Cave shmups, the ones I have played on MAME that include leeching-Guwange and Progear-I've really enjoyed playing-and obviously there's plenty of leeching to be had in ESPgaulda and Mushi. AND, there are great upcoming Sega Ages releases; plus plenty of traditional shooters, like Double Shienryu, and Raiden III.

But, when the JPS3 does come out (January'06 I think is the date) I don't know HOW much the J-PSTwo will drop in price, and that concerns me-especially since new J-PSone's are still around $100.

So I guess it's just a matter of balancing all this out-but I'd rather not make a purchase until I find out how much the J-PSTwo will drop in price-unless anybody knows. I suppose I could ask Play Asia about it, but I don't know if they'd tell me.
Farewell to hollow words
Skykid

Re: PS1 Thunder Storm LX-3 and Road Blaster?...

Post by Skykid »

Necroed baby.

I have no problem figuring out Road Blaster on PSX, but Thunder Storm seems so seriously unresponsive/hit and miss with detection. I’ve tried everything, and even save stated to test certain sections and sometimes I seem to land hits and other times not. It seems hard to pin down exactly how or where to fire to guarantee direct hits on each run.

Any tips or is the PSX version a bit borked?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Skykid wrote:Necroed baby.

I have no problem figuring out Road Blaster on PSX, but Thunder Storm seems so seriously unresponsive/hit and miss with detection. I’ve tried everything, and even save stated to test certain sections and sometimes I seem to land hits and other times not. It seems hard to pin down exactly how or where to fire to guarantee direct hits on each run.

Any tips or is the PSX version a bit borked?
No idea, get the PC ports or GTFO.
https://youtu.be/pmSL1oaPsY8
https://youtu.be/HcnvlSKy7SA
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nice bump! Image This one needs to go in Other Gaming, sixteen years on there is finally a place for Thunder Storm and Road Blasters at Shumps. :cool:

Weirdest shit ever, being reminded that Kishimoto was directing these before inventing the beltscroller at Technos.

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:Nice bump! Image This one needs to go in Other Gaming, sixteen years on there is finally a place for Thunder Storm and Road Blasters at Shumps. :cool:
Funny how both game have a version that has a similar (or the same) name to a completely different game. AFAIK, both the shmup named Cobra Command and the localized Thunder Storm made it to US arcades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Was there an AC Cobra Command? :o I'd wondered... the FC version, while charmingly ambitious in its almost Mr. Heli way, and sporting excellent FC Army Man style, just doesn't have the controls it needs. Still kinda likeable imo, granted FC Army Man is my frickin catnip. Image
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

AC Cobra Command is a straight up shmup, unlike the more Choplifter inspired NES/FC version. Definitely got a US release, despite Data East distributing the other Cobra Command in the US. Pics of the cab come up in a search, which is distinctly different from the cab of the localized Thunder Storm.