shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:05 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:38 pm 

One of my best friends loves Dream Theater. I never got into them, but I understand why.

Don't listen to much rock/metal/industrial anymore, but Tool's first two albums were pretty good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:01 pm 

Both are proggy bands? Tool is prog-grunge, DT is prog-metal. Just my best guess, I'm not all that familiar with the prog label.

I don't remember much about DT other than I had a friend who was really into them, bought one of their CDs based on his recommendation but it wasn't my thing. Tool is slightly more up my alley but the wonky time signatures and tempo changes make for a challenging listen. Although I encountered similar aspects listening to Lush, so I think I could possibly be A Tool Fan™ if I gave them some more eartime.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:46 pm 

I found this recently, might appeal to some people here who like Tool, prog metal and that kind of thing. The subject matter is pretty rough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxIq6TY ... heReticent

Also Gary Numan released his new album, it's free on Youtube etc but I was part of the funding effort and ordered the deluxe CD.

https://garynuman.lnk.to/IntruderID

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:58 pm 

system11 wrote:
I found this recently, might appeal to some people here who like Tool, prog metal and that kind of thing. The subject matter is pretty rough.

50 minutes in, this is damn good. Yeah, could definitely see Lateralus fans digging this, on multiple levels. Melancholic, punishing, twisting and turning... yet compact, agile, and sparingly beautiful. Distinctly recalling Opeth's Watershed too, very autumnal in its more contemplative passages. Hard concept indeed, that's a hell of a title. A necessarily upsetting record, though never luridly so. Thanks for the recommendation!

EDIT: sort of instantly likable, low-fat prog LP I immediately want to replay in full (edit2: and indeed just did). Only a handful of screamo turns in the first half dint the otherwise authoritative work. Surprised these guys have so few subscribers.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:43 am 

Mass for double chorus & double orchestra* by Henry Desmarest, Jordi Savall conducting etc. Super-humane if I say so, even by the Baroque music standards. Never-mind Baroque Masses.
No, really. Everyone who's into music-making themselves should lend it an ear. That "double chorus" technique of sorta canon, sorta "false echo" effect, is a thing to be aware of.
You see, at least some people back then were a tad smarter than - let's face it - most of us are these days. Humankind hasn't really evolved at all since the times we have any historical sources from.

*) Messe à deux chœurs et deux orchestres, apparently.

It is jolly rad, darn pretty. Hosanna, Benedictus and so on.

P.S. I mean this recoding of it, for what it's worth. The glorious In Excelsis Deo double CD album.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:16 am 

system11 wrote:

I'm feeling this. It has some really interesting time signatures and unpredictable jazzy interludes.

Rando, IMO all the Tool albums are good. Lateralusis my favorite but then again I don't know a whole lot about metal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:00 am 

Eurgh, Ænima and that's about it. Nowadays, I'm pretty alergic to the bands who take themselves THIS seriously (such as Pearl Jam).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:16 am 

Thanks lads, I will try to answer in order of post/poster.

Stevens: DT fall in the same category for me, so I skipped on giving them a try for decades on end.
Agreed on Tool's first two albums, but then I lost track of them. This comment leads to...

OmegaFlareX: As a kid who grew up with prog parents, both bands offer relatively familiar styles that however never lured me in too deeply.
Tool's approach to signatures is fine for me, as I also like some types of Jazz (and generally musicians playing time signatures, yes).

System11: I am behind a firewall (currently working in China). Could you please post the name's band?

scrilla4rella: Got it. I remember listening to Undertow quite a bit and I have been listening to their other works right now.
I think that I agree with Herr Shatten's comment from the other topic: you need the right frame of mind to appreciate them, but some aspects are resonating with me right now (the numerically odd time signatures? My knowledge of music is really sloppy, sorry).

Last edited by Randorama on Sun May 30, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:45 am 

Randorama wrote:
System11: I am behind a firewall (currently working in China). Could you please post the name's band?

It's "The Oubliette," by US band The Reticent. Blasting it as I type this, third loop (couldn't play it too loud last night, can't bear to disturb nice ol' granny next door, even though she's cheerfully informed me she DGAF). Really good stuff.

Concept album following a dementia sufferer - it's very sensitively observed, but also absolutely blunt about the toll of the disease. Not wishing to reveal my power level (as the kids say), but my mom's family has a history of early onset dementia. Even though all my grandparents made it to their 90s/100s in relatively good health, she and I have always had a slight gallows humour about it (killed an aunt of hers at ~50). So I appreciate how straightforward it is, lyrically. Not a cheerful listen, but it shouldn't be. Mortality blows. Image Although sometimes I think, what's the best thing a red giant ever felt in its unfathomable lifespan? God willing, may the good times make up for being imprisoned in a doomed meat golem. Image

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:44 pm 

BIL wrote:
God willing, may the good times make up for being imprisoned in a doomed meat golem. Image

Sounds almost purgatorial the way you put it. Perhaps it is.

Sucks though. There are many advances recently into the mechanisms of dementia and there may yet be some good treatments for it going forward. I understand that diet and activity also play a huge role as exercising the brain can help to stave it off. People who have active hobbies (my gram played bridge) that continue to challenge critical thinking and promote hand eye coordination seem to have the best effect.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:12 am 

I'm not totally sure if the Metal/Hard Rawk thread isn't the more appropriate place to post this, but I figure that my fellow metal heads appreciate as wide a range of genres as I do, so I'll just leave this here.

I recently found out that Lake of Tears have released a new album called Ominous after a 10 year hiatus. There's always been something special about the band, and this new record is no exception. It's a bleak and dark album. If you listen to any of its songs (bar maybe the bonus track) individually, they appear fragmented and strange, but if played in context, they create a maelstrom that drags you in.

The album made me re-visit their back-catalogue, too. Here's my little retrospective:

Greater Art (1994): A debut of a band very much in search of itself. Single tracks like Under the Crescent allow for a glimpse of what's to come, but overall, this album is largely forgettable. Skip this if you're not already into the band.

Headstones (1995): With this album the band really hit their stride, establishing their unique brand of simplistic, yet highly effective, songwriting. With maybe the exception of the overly-long last track, the album is all killer and offers a wide range of styles and moods, from the magnificent title track to the energetic Burn, Fire, Burn.

A Crimson Cosmos (1997): A fantastic follow-up. The band introduces some hippie-esque new elements into their sound that work surprisingly well and push some of the songs almost into Pink Floyd territory. The aptly named Cosmic Weed is probably the song that sums up the album best.

Forever Autumn (1999): Probably my favorite LoT album. The hippie stuff is dialed down and makes room for full-on melancholy. Singling out certain songs doesn't make a lot of sense, as they all feel like parts of a bigger opus.

The Neonai (2002): This album only came to be to fulfill the contract with their label that forced them to deliver one last record. As a result, the songs vary wildly. The quality is up there, though, and the album has some real standout tracks like the intriguing Nathalie and the Fireflies.

Black Brick Road (2004): A great reunion album that has all the qualities of the earlier records. The opener The Greymen sets the tone perfectly.

Moons and Mushrooms (2007): A weird album with a bit of a punk-y attitude that, sadly, suffers from a less than stellar sound production.

Illwill (2011): A complete change in style that only makes sense retrospectively, now that Ominous kind of marries it with Forever Autum. Illwill is a ghastly and desperate album full of rage and despair, spiked with mild Black Metal influences, even. A total outlier, but fascinating nevertheless.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:20 pm 

America

By Dan Deacon. It's the culmination of 2010s Baltimore warehouse music. Epic, layered modular synth with a full band including two drummers. It's both sensory overload and comfort food.

The album is a mixture of instrumentals and songs with lyrics.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:33 am 

Seeing as it turned 30 last week ( :shock: :shock: ), I spent the weekend blasting the Smashing Pumkins' 'Gish'. Brilliant album, I'm puzzled by folk that prefer Siamese Dream, it's a bit overblown for me that one. I know he used a stupid number of guitar tracks to get the sounds of it, but damn it still sounds thick and heavy to this day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:47 pm 

I agree. Gish is the better album. The band is still grunge at that point. Siamese Dream is when they completed the transition to a Boston cover band.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:42 pm 

of course the guy from Baltimore recommends Dan Deacon :)

I saw him perform when my wife was going to school in Providence. He had this trippy marching band with him. Good stuff, will def check out this modular sounding record.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:17 pm 

scrilla4rella wrote:
of course the guy from Baltimore recommends Dan Deacon :)

lol. I'm actually not from Baltimore, just got stuck there for awhile, prolonged by covid. But, yeah, I have been haunting it for a few years now.

Quote:
I saw him perform when my wife was going to school in Providence. He had this trippy marching band with him. Good stuff, will def check out this modular sounding record.

Is the typical live show for him since, eh, 2014 I think. Trippy is the right word.

Dan Deacon is the most representative of the 2010 era Baltimore warehouse scene, but my favorite from that stuff is Moss Of Aura.

It Gerrit Welmers solo project (the keyboard player from Future Islands). It's nothing at all like FI, but you can recognize the tones he uses on his synths obviously. It's all total instrumental, vaguely Caribbean sounding, vaguely Vaporwave, 80s-inspired awesomeness. I think it's way better than anything else out of Bmore in that time and is criminally passed-over. Of course, it doesn't help that the albums are mostly cassette only.

I recommend Still Parade, March and Wading. The rest of his stuff is a different beast and more Aphex Twin and less pop.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:27 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A1Ou5WpqDc

New Helloween 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:09 am 

Anyone that thinks they would like an eclectic mixture of prog/stoner/metal should stop what they're doing, go check out Boss Keloid's 'Family the Smiling Thrush', and thank me later. Genuinely original sounding records like this don't come around too often.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:34 am 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
New Helloween 8)

Been listening to this almost exclusively since release. As I said in the other thread, I'm enjoying it far more than I expected. It's no match for the genre-defining classics from their early days, but it's the best album they've released in over 20 years, since Better Than Raw to be precise. The Band earns extra points in my book for resisting the temptation of riding the nostalgia train full-on and instead making something more akin to a "best-of with new songs" spanning the whole range of styles from various points in their career.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:22 pm 

Herr Schatten wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:
New Helloween 8)

Been listening to this almost exclusively since release. As I said in the other thread, I'm enjoying it far more than I expected. It's no match for the genre-defining classics from their early days, but it's the best album they've released in over 20 years, since Better Than Raw to be precise. The Band earns extra points in my book for resisting the temptation of riding the nostalgia train full-on and instead making something more akin to a "best-of with new songs" spanning the whole range of styles from various points in their career.

Other thread?

And yeah I am enjoying it a lot. Getting caught up with some other bands as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:54 am 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Other thread?

And yeah I am enjoying it a lot. Getting caught up with some other bands as well.

There's now a hard rock and metal specific music thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66877

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:57 am 

Heard Der Freischütz by Carl Maria von Weber on the radio yesterday. Live retransmission from, I think, Munich? Or wherether that was. Performed without audience, not so long ago, as you may guess. Remember the Schwarzwald stage from any Sonic Wings/Aero Fighters game? So, it gave me an impression similar to that.
Apparently Frederic Chopin was a great fan of it, and you can totally hear the idiom throughout all of Romantic music.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60