8- and 16-bit sprite pixel art with Perler beads

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
trap15

Re: 8- and 16-bit sprite pixel art with Perler beads

Post by trap15 »

Got my beads the other day and I've made a few since.

Just did this one today, Athena from King of Fighters R-2 (NeoGeo Pocket Color). Had some funtimes with my ironing paper, but came out quite well.

Did this the other day, it's Kaito from Almana no Kiseki (Famicom Disk System). Other side has some significant failures due to how I ironed (first one I've done), but this side is mostly alright.

I should have heeded your advice about black beads, Emuser, Athena burned through them like nothing D:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

trap15 wrote:Did this the other day, it's Kaito from Almana no Kiseki (Famicom Disk System). Other side has some significant failures due to how I ironed (first one I've done), but this side is mostly alright.
Very nice! I love that signature "implied face" Konami look, with the character's stance and gear providing the expression... comes across perfectly there.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Almost 8 month old necro bump...bought an order of about 30,000 beads to get back into this...just a few things I've made spending my time today looking at sprites and watching various twitch channels while perlering today:
Kaikan Type D, Type B, and Type A ships. These sprites all had one color that wasn't readily available in perler colors, so I had to work with what I had and substitute them for a color that closely matched their primary colors.

Image Image Image
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

MIGHTY BUMP

Just finished the 2P A-Type from Dangun, I felt like doing it due to my ALL2 from a couple days ago. I will edit the rest of the ships/Uo Pokos into this post when I finish them all sometime tomorrow.
chempop

Post by chempop »

I showed some of my students these when we started a project making cardboard spaceships, their reactions were basically, “Oh yeah, that’s definitely minecraft!”

Those Dangun and Kaikan ones are great btw!
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
greg

Post by greg »

Resurrecting this old thread!

Darius Silverhawks

Radiant Silvergun

Lum from Urusei Yatsura: Dear My Friends on the Mega CD.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Dat Lum :oops: (pm'ing you)
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Usual 1 year resurection of the thread, here is my Lum framed.
Made from the same model as greg’s, the thing is more than 90cm tall, ironing process is hard.

Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
greg

Post by greg »

Got more.
R-Type (taken from the arcade)

Darius Silverhawks (taken from the Super Famicom game)

Radiant Silvergun

The F-14 Tomcat from Sega's Afterburner on the X68000.

A cute rendition of Kasumi from Dead or Alive I found by doing an image search online.

OK, hold onto your butts.

V.I.N.CENT from The Black Hole. I took the sprite from a user named Mazeon on Tumblr. He liked it.

Yohko from Devil Hunter Yohko on the Megadrive. This was my first time making something with Nano Beads, which are 1/4th the size of regular Perler Beads. My first time using these tiny beads was a very HUGE project! At one point, I bumped the trays and messed up so many beads and had to redo all the work on them. Since these beads are so tiny, they can be disturbed far more easily. Yikes!

Captain America from Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems on Super Famicom. It's the largest one I've made yet, and he is about as tall as Yohko next to him.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

You got a SSL issue on that domain, so none of the embedded images work.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

They work for me? Maybe they were resolved since your post.

Anyway, I especially like the R-9 with anti-air laser.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
greg

Post by greg »

Thanks for the heads up. I created a help ticket with my hosting provider. I've never had this problem before. There's no way I'll spend money on a Flickr account when I already pay for my own website. At least the links should work.
Mortificator wrote:They work for me? Maybe they were resolved since your post.
The images display for me, so I would not have known if there was an issue. My friend in Arizona said the images do not show up for him, either. Strange.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Gosh, the nanobeads Yohko looks gorgeous. So many color variants here, this must have been quite expensive and time consuming.

Thanks to your Lum advice, I could finish mine and send it as a gift to a friend who had a crush on her when young; He was pleased.

Meanwhile my own kid now does the beads thing, so the house is full of Ninajagos, Volcanoes, Dinosaurs, Castles, Frozen's Anna/Elsa/Olaf and so on.
greg

Post by greg »

That's great! Framed and everything. I just nail mine to the walls with pins.