shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:58 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:55 am 

headlesshobbs wrote:
Blu-ray.com has been down for a couple of days and that's the primary resource that covers the majority of physical releases. It's only been manageable for awhile that I know what movies I want, but without that resource I'm fearing I'm going to end up with either bare-bones versions or quality on par with Anchor Bay's sorry efforts should they be gone for good.

They won't be gone for good. They edited their post on the facebook page to say they will be down longer as they're moving the site to an OS that is actually supported and they will be back at some point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:17 am 

https://www.amazon.com/Puella-Magi-Homu ... 014Q0VUIK/
What in the absolute hell happened here? Why is a physical copy of this pushing upwards of $800 used? The new copy is cheaper, but still over $700.
For reference, volumes 1 and 3 are new for $17, and used for $8.

Absolutely baffling.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:47 pm 

It's algorithmic pricing. It's the ruin of online shopping. Always with books, it's horrible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 pm 

EATDATPUSSY445 got outed as a fuckin chomo. Image

I barely know who that is. Some fat fuck youtuber. I'm still annoyed though! Way to taint a hilarious username.

Takes me back to JUNGLEMANIA, the boomer chomo with a great SN who never wastes a load. >_>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:12 am 

drauch wrote:
It's algorithmic pricing. It's the ruin of online shopping. Always with books, it's horrible.

Yep, the robots are taking over. This has been annoying me for years now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:44 pm 

Fighting game story modes that are immutably set to one round only.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:36 pm 

Are there any figures in history that are smeared more often (or more effectively) than Napoleon Bonaparte? Now, you want to blow smoke up my ass and judge him based on woke 2021 values? What other famous figures are judged this way? The monarchs of Europe smeared him viciously, because they loved their privilege and money. Napoleon threatened their corrupt lifestyles.

Even if the net result was a transfer of power from one band of grifters to another, I don't feel sorry for the losers. Napoleon helped end your free ride? Well, sorry bout your luck. *shrug*

The smear campaign continues. Fair criticism is fine and there's plenty to criticise with Napoleon, but using woke 2021 values is nothing more than a continuation of a 200+ year smear campaign. Napoleon was a product of his time and there's plenty of blame to go around.

Here's an idea: Let's use this woke criteria on some other leaders: starting with Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. This isn't really about feminism or racism, is it? No. It's about a smear campaign.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:56 pm 

Are you implying people don't typically criticize Reagan and Thatcher?
They strike me as two of the most commonly disliked first world leaders of the most recent decades.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:57 pm 

Shit, dude, if we're gonna start cleansing antique propaganda from our modern consciousness, we should probably start with Matthew 22:25 in the Bible:

Quote:
22“What then should I do with Jesus who is called Christ?” Pilate asked. They all answered, “Crucify Him!” 23 “Why?” asked Pilate. “What evil has He done?” But they shouted all the louder, “Crucify Him! 24 ”When Pilate saw that he was accomplishing nothing, but that instead a riot was breaking out, he took water and washed his hands before the crowd. “I am innocent of this man’s blood,” he said. “You bear the responsibility.” 25 All the people answered, “His blood be on us and on our children!”

How fortunate when Christianity became the state religion of Rome that this crowd of people took responsibility entirely off the Roman state that actually tortured Jesus and actually crucified him! And how double-lucky that they also thought to lay blame at their children's (and children's children's, and so on) feet so someone in current times who might get angry about the crucifixion would direct their ire away from the Roman state itself.

Fun fact: "The Boogeyman" is Napoleon. Back before the fat diminutive Napoleon image caught on in British colonies, they called him "The Boney Man" and parents used his name to frighten their children.

Please don't use the conservative framing of the term "woke." Allowing them to dilute left-wing terminology ranging from "political correctness" to "virtue-signalling" into vague notions of cultural aggrievement only strengthens the fascist project.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Last edited by Mischief Maker on Wed May 05, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:04 pm 

Sumez wrote:
Are you implying people don't typically criticize Reagan and Thatcher?
They strike me as two of the most commonly disliked first world leaders of the most recent decades.

Ask any conservative and you'll discover they are demigods. Their audience remains loyal and (around many areas) criticism is likely to end in a shouting match or a brawl.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:09 pm 

Mischief Maker wrote:
Shit, dude, if we're gonna start cleansing antique propaganda from our modern consciousness, we should probably start with Matthew 22:25 in the Bible:

Quote:
22“What then should I do with Jesus who is called Christ?” Pilate asked. They all answered, “Crucify Him!” 23 “Why?” asked Pilate. “What evil has He done?” But they shouted all the louder, “Crucify Him! 24 ”When Pilate saw that he was accomplishing nothing, but that instead a riot was breaking out, he took water and washed his hands before the crowd. “I am innocent of this man’s blood,” he said. “You bear the responsibility.” 25 All the people answered, “His blood be on us and on our children!”

How fortunate when Christianity became the state religion of Rome that this crowd of people took responsibility entirely off the Roman state that actually tortured Jesus and actually crucified him! And how double-lucky that they also thought to lay blame at their children's (and children's children's, and so on) feet so someone in modern times who might get angry about the crucifixion would direct their ire away from the Roman state itself.

Fun fact: "The Boogeyman" is Napoleon. Back before the fat diminutive Napoleon image caught on in British colonies, they called him "The Boney Man" and parents used his name to frighten their children.

Please don't use the conservative framing of the term "woke." Allowing them to dilute left-wing terminology ranging from "political correctness" to "virtue-signalling" into vague notions of cultural aggrievement only strengthens the fascist project.

You have to own a label to take away the power. So, you have to stop letting Trumpers and Reagan-youth get to you.

No doubt, the Roman bureaucracy was unfair, but history is littered with all kinds of similar issues. Then again, when Jesus' fans took over, we burned the books and watched the aquaducts fall apart. So, there's no hero in the story.

Spanish people tied a knotted rope around the Incan emperor's neck and twisted it until his head popped off for Jesus. What was his crime?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:04 am 

I was looking up TASVideos on Rad Racer 2 because I'd like to potentially beat the game, much as I loathe how the sequel feels compared to the first game due to various changes like far more nasty traffic (the traffic is nasty and isn't spaced out naturally, there's frequent walls where two lanes are blocked by cars side by side so you have to memorize which lane to be in, it's a far more demanding game and doesn't feel at all the same as Rad Racer, Outrun, Outrunners, etc). Even if I'm not terribly interested in TASes, they are often a source of useful meta tricks under the run comments) and noticed there was a run for the first game, yet not the second.

It appears that the decision to publish a run on the frontpage is entirely a cheap, meaningless popularity contest entirely divorced of whether the tool assisted run is technically proficient or not. I've previously complained about this bullshit with the Wizardry 1 NES run where multiple people proclaimed it not being worth publishing despite it being possibly one of the most technically proficient and interesting runs on the site.

There are in fact three submitted Rad Racer 2 runs, all by the same person. The forum post that rejects the fastest of them is especially stupid. Just read the posts from the people voting against it; some of the arguments include claiming it's not worth posting because there's already one for the first game (a totally separate game). Not a single argument against it is based on if it is technically proficient or not. It's purely rejected because it doesn't have enough "entertainment" value. As the runs are hosted on Youtube it's not a matter of eating up web space or bandwidth, and yet despite there not being a published run for the game you have to go hunting under the rejected submissions tab by searching for the game. The judging community there is cliquey and stupid from what I've seen in their judging forums when deciding whether to reject or approve a video, and the submitter basically said fuck it and bailed from the TAS community over it (good for him, screw 'em).

The Youtube channel being used to host the runs on TASVideos (which has the RR2 run hosted on itfor some reason despite it being rejected from the actual TASVideos website?)also has comments disabled, making it impossible to have a localized place to discuss them. Ugh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:23 am 

nowadays they publish stuff regardless of entertainment value but stick uninteresting runs in "the vault" http://tasvideos.org/Vault.html

it could be nobody's submitted runs for those games since then

that webnations youtube channel isn't affiliated with tasvideos but i remember they used to publish rejected tasvideos runs on their own site, i had a couple of them on there way back in the day

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:05 am 

orange808 wrote:
Ask any conservative and you'll discover they are demigods.

Yeah well there are people who hold Adolf Hitler in high regard as well XD

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:44 pm 

Sumez wrote:
orange808 wrote:

Sure, but they're so easily distracted. :mrgreen:
https://youtu.be/UDB9oCgVHGw

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:17 pm 

Sumez wrote:
orange808 wrote:

I don't know about Thatcher's public opinion in the UK, but Regan has always had a very high approval. Compared to W. Bush he was practically loved, even among many democrats. Regan had that whole "the 80's is the future" thing going for him that really captivated people, and politics as public relations became much more sophisticated. He was the first Republican after Nixon to look good and come off charismatic in front of a camera.

Regan was like the Max Headroom of presidents.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:39 pm 

Mischief Maker wrote:
Doesn't matter what I just watched, even if it's a trans left-wing youtuber, the algorithm REALLY REALLY wants to autoplay old Peterson videos.

For some time now I've been similarly bombarded with links to articles by the Washington Examiner on both my laptop and my phone, despite their stock and trade being pants-wetting temper tantrums like this from all I've seen of them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:27 am 

Actually a small thing this time.

People that go to videos talking about upscaling/linedoubling old consoles etc to drop a comment about just how cool they are because they emulate instead. It's so fucking weird and something I noticed as I've been watching Retrotink 5X reviews and some other content from the channels where I thought their review was interesting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:28 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Actually a small thing this time.

People that go to videos talking about upscaling/linedoubling old consoles etc to drop a comment about just how cool they are because they emulate instead. It's so fucking weird and something I noticed as I've been watching Retrotink 5X reviews and some other content from the channels where I thought their review was interesting.

Noticed a lot of that in the last 3 years and yes it's a bit annoying.

''lmao just get a xXx@Raspberry^PI@xXx mate''
''lmao why do that when you can just emulate on a PEECEE ????!??1??''

it's like these people don't understand that some want to play on the OG consoles.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:03 pm 

FinalBaton wrote:
it's like these people don't understand that some want to play on the OG consoles.

I think it's like any other form of outdated or obsolete technology. Why would someone want to still use a VHS tape? Why cassettes? Why old radios?

Some people just don't get it.

On the other hand, there is probably a number of them who simply can't afford real console stuff, or don't want to spend the money on it, and it's all sour grapes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:43 pm 

vol.2 wrote:

I think it's like any other form of outdated or obsolete technology. Why would someone want to still use a VHS tape? Why cassettes? Why old radios?

Some people just don't get it.

On the other hand, there is probably a number of them who simply can't afford real console stuff, or don't want to spend the money on it, and it's all sour grapes.

That's two good hypothesis indeed

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:29 pm 

I think it also goes to the weirdness some people have of "everyone else should like what I like and do things the same way as me".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:26 pm 

^^^^^^^^^
That too fo 'sho

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:35 pm 

orange808 wrote:
Are there any figures in history that are smeared more often (or more effectively) than Napoleon Bonaparte? Now, you want to blow smoke up my ass and judge him based on woke 2021 values? What other famous figures are judged this way? The monarchs of Europe smeared him viciously, because they loved their privilege and money. Napoleon threatened their corrupt lifestyles.

Even if the net result was a transfer of power from one band of grifters to another, I don't feel sorry for the losers. Napoleon helped end your free ride? Well, sorry bout your luck. *shrug*

The smear campaign continues. Fair criticism is fine and there's plenty to criticise with Napoleon, but using woke 2021 values is nothing more than a continuation of a 200+ year smear campaign. Napoleon was a product of his time and there's plenty of blame to go around.

I'd point the arrow in a different direction. The establishment types you're attributing this to are the exact type of people who'd look back on him admiringly. He was the Kobe Bryant of the game they're all playing (Elba was his Colorado hotel). Hated for much of his own career, in retrospect he might not have been winning rings for their team, but damn if they don't respect the talent & drive.

Where Napoleon earned his enduring enemies was among leftists, and particularly Marxists. Marx wrote one of his more famous pieces, the 18th Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte, about Napoleon I's nephew Louis, president of France who had at that point led a coup which made him emperor. But Marx spared no criticism of the first Napoleon in it, referring to him as a historical tragedy and painting him as having railroaded the fruits of the French Revolution and handing it over to the bourgeoisie. This effectively continued the pattern of rentiership which separated the people from the results of their own labour and fed directly into the development of capitalism.

This work would go on to significantly influence the later Marxist critique of fascism, which was highly influential in the post-war period. Napoleon I and his regime, as right wing dictator of a modern industrializing nation, came to be seen as a protoype for fascism.

Napoleon as a colonialist villain is a late development, as post-colonial theory didn't really arrive until the 1990s (precursors like subaltern theory & similar fields had been around but were smaller & less widely influential).

Quote:
Here's an idea: Let's use this woke criteria on some other leaders: starting with Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. This isn't really about feminism or racism, is it? No. It's about a smear campaign.

Reagan, and particularly Reagan's CIA is widely seen as one of the worse actors of the latter half of the 20th century. It's only US conservatives who've deified him for 'defeating' the Soviet Union.

Thatcher likewise was roundly despised in her own country by non-conservatives, mentions of Thatcher's dreary England show up in all sorts of music & literature from the time.

Also, in my personal Injustice League score rankings, she literally backed Pol Pot, who I think might well have been the actual worst monster of the 20th century; he just didn't have the same demo/geo-graphic base to work from as Hitler & Stalin. Neither of those two went as far as to start shooting everyone with glasses for being a suspect counter-revolutionary intellectual.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:35 pm 

Overused buzz phrases like "the new normal" or "there's no there there."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:50 pm 

"I don't like horis" :?

I assume these people lose their mind in DFK stage 5 when it starts scrolling horizontally. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:21 pm 

well yeah that's the laser-wheel part
the part that kinda feels like it spawned from the depths of IREM :lol:
damn man now i'm kinda wondering if the choice to scroll horizontally there is actually some kinda of sick meta-joke

it also for whatever reason gave me the horrible idea of a hori where the terrain tiles all have undersized hitboxes, allowing you to literally squeeze between the bricks of a wall

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:40 pm 

Actors screaming in TV drama. Can't act? Just start screaming your head off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:43 pm 

mamboFoxtrot wrote:
it also for whatever reason gave me the horrible idea of a hori where the terrain tiles all have undersized hitboxes, allowing you to literally squeeze between the bricks of a wall

If the shot fits, you must acquit :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:58 pm 

konami pls :shock:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334  Next