Bangaioh

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
sjewkestheloon

Bangaioh

Post by sjewkestheloon »

Just completed it on the dreamcast and just wanted to shout out yeah!

That last boss was hard as hell.

Definately a flawed game i'd say, but a hell of a lot of fun nevertheless. I know that it gets knocked a bit around here but i'm not really sure why as it has arcade thrills by the bucketload and some interesting scoring to make replaying a must.

So anyway... erm discuss
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

"Bangai-O!? The word has no meaning!!"

My favourite part of the game is the boss who speaks French. The way he pauses and says, "Tres bien" just before blowing up had me in hysterics.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

I loved the boss who communicated with child like drawings and that sheep orb boss core talking about 'silently the man walked into the room and lit a cigarette' great game.

I haven't played it in 3 years. I think I'll break it out again.
Vidi Vici Veni
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

One of my most favourite Treasure games, so much fun scoring in this game, I used to play it for months on the Dreamcast.

Could never get past the final boss, I dunno how you did. I usually get his life down to half, but then he gets the invincibility shield and kicks my ass. One time my score Multiplier was so high I got the shield too. but it ran out before his did.
zinger

Post by zinger »

I found this game very confusing. I only played it for a half an hour or so, flew past a couple of stages without any trouble at all. I'm sure it gets hard eventually, but I'm not really used to games being so imbalanced (well, that's the impression I got), and the fun just never kicked in for me. I'd rather play Dynamite Headdy. :)
SOUNDSHOCK
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Nei First wrote:One of my most favourite Treasure games, so much fun scoring in this game, I used to play it for months on the Dreamcast.

Could never get past the final boss, I dunno how you did. I usually get his life down to half, but then he gets the invincibility shield and kicks my ass. One time my score Multiplier was so high I got the shield too. but it ran out before his did.
The final boss's invincibility wears off after roughly 10 seconds. You just have to play keep-away for that time (remember, double-tapping in a direction is your friend).

The best strategy is learning to use the boss's platform for defense. Circle around it and have him chase you. The platform can absorb attacks providing cover as well as placing a physical barrier between you and him (especially when he turns invincible).

In regards to triggering the instant-invincibility, it has to do with nailing a max release (400 missiles) that breaks at least a 500 hit combo. You also need to have released the charge point-blank against a large enemy barrage. It's tough, but I have done it several times.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

Kiken wrote:
Nei First wrote:One of my most favourite Treasure games, so much fun scoring in this game, I used to play it for months on the Dreamcast.

The final boss's invincibility wears off after roughly 10 seconds. You just have to play keep-away for that time (remember, double-tapping in a direction is your friend).

The best strategy is learning to use the boss's platform for defense. Circle around it and have him chase you. The platform can absorb attacks providing cover as well as placing a physical barrier between you and him (especially when he turns invincible).

In regards to triggering the instant-invincibility, it has to do with nailing a max release (400 missiles) that breaks at least a 500 hit combo. You also need to have released the charge point-blank against a large enemy barrage. It's tough, but I have done it several times.
I thought you just had to release a 400 max attack when your health was so low the game beeps at you to trigger the invincibility. I've never triggered it without being near death.

In fact I'm certain that's how it works. I actually took advantage of this a few times when I was speed attacking the game.

My stage 34 video shows it perfectly, just before the boss.

Also, the final boss will become invincible if you're ever invincible in the battle, so it's a pretty useless tactic there.

Bangai-O is great.
Alske

Post by Alske »

I guess, I didn't see what the point of this game was appart from slamming the r-trigger just before you got hit. I remember finishing the whole game the day I bought it, and dying very very rarely. The end boss was a little bitch, but as Kiken said: use his platform against him.
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

MrMonkeyMan wrote:
Kiken wrote:

I thought you just had to release a 400 max attack when your health was so low the game beeps at you to trigger the invincibility. I've never triggered it without being near death.

In fact I'm certain that's how it works. I actually took advantage of this a few times when I was speed attacking the game.

My stage 34 video shows it perfectly, just before the boss.

Also, the final boss will become invincible if you're ever invincible in the battle, so it's a pretty useless tactic there.

Bangai-O is great.
@Kiken: Is that so.... Well then, think I'll pull out my Dreamcast sometime this week and try it, so I can finally nail his ass. Thanks for the tip about using the platform.

@MrMonkeyMan: About the barrier, It's been awhile, can't remember whether your health has to be low to trigger it. If the boss always does become invincible whenever you are, then yeah you're right I guess that tactic is useless.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

this game is good.... it's not broke you are :roll:
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
JBC

Post by JBC »

i always wanted to play the N64 version :(
Godzilla was an inside job
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

Any differences in the n64 version? I find it pretty funny that you have to change the options to a 4 way button set up in the options from other useless control scheme on the dc. i mean why??

as for the last boss i just really took my time on him, kept a distance and countered anything big from afar
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

In the N64 version, rather than simply destroying stuff, you have to collect fruit to replenish your meter.
eight

Post by eight »

I played the N64 version first, which was great as well! And then some months ago at a friend's place the Dreamcast version which made me want to buy it too.

The last boss is the horror!
zinger

Post by zinger »

A few tracks in the N64 version were composed by Toshiya Yamanaka (of Sin & Punishment fame, and a lot of oldschool PC goodies), they seem to have been removed in the DC version. I think there's a list of gameplay differences available at gamefaqs.
SOUNDSHOCK
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

There are huge diffeences between the N64 and Dreamcast versions. The biggest being that you use the number of explosions over 100 (in increments of 100) to buy seperate powerups and lifeups. Shot power and penetration can be powered up seperately. So by powering up penetration one can really up the explosion count, especially when using Mami as her lasers will penetrate an enemy, bounce around a bit and then keep on going, penetrating more enemies. Also, in the N64 version Mami's laser beams home in on enemies after the first bounce. I don't recall that being the case in the DC version but it was three or four years between me playing the different versions so I could be wrong. Also, playing the game on the controller it was designed for is just a more enjoyable experience IMHO.

All in all, Bangaioh is one of my favorite games ever and certainly tied with Sin and Punishment as Treasure's finest work. Personally, I find life pretty challenging at times so I don't necessarily need every single video game that I spend my precious time with to be ballwrinklingly difficult. The humor and easy action of Bangaioh were most welcome.

Pa
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I've see N64 <> DC controller adapters...

I would think that it would map the DC's analogue to the N64's and the DC's D pad to the N64's. Does anyone have one of these? The only thing left to worry would be the other buttons.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

I wouldn't bother with trying very hard to use the N64 controller with the DC version of the game. It's the powerups in the N64 version that are the important difference. The controller won't change that.

Pa
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

No, but i'd still be curious about it to see if it did work. I don't have problems with the DC controls, but I played alot of smash tv on the snes.
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

Me neither. In fact the first few times I fired up the N64 one I thought the control sucked. I figured people were just being ultra elite Japanophiles about it because the N64 one was never released in the states, thereby making it incalculably more hardcore.

It wasn't until this year that I really put some time in with N64 version and found that I was wrong. It's awesome.

BTW, that last boss is a pussy if you power up the penetration to +16 and use Mami against him.

Pa
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

Methinks i might pick up an import n64 for the treasure stuff. i used to thik that treasure were really overrated but hell they made some good games. gunstar heroes, astro boy, bangia-oh all top notch and that leaves out the shmups.

Is sin and punishment worth it? loved panzer dragoon orta but i'm very inexperienced with on rails stuff.
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

sjewkestheloon wrote:Is sin and punishment worth it?
Fuck yes. It's easily Treasure's finest moment and one of the greatest three dimensional games ever created. You should really get after that one.

Pa
D

Post by D »

I just played Bangai-O
This game is great. It's a cross between:
Smash TV and Cybernator
You get to play with two sticks like Smash tv, but just the ABXY buttons for firing direction. Sprites are small, but everything is very colorful.
It always came across as some kind of weird puzzle/shooting game, but it's trully an action game. Didn't want to create a new topic, so I invested in this one. I recommend it to all those who were never sure if this was really something. It is and I'm not a Treasure either: I hate RSG :lol:
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

lol I thought PaCrappa was back
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Fuck yes. It's easily Treasure's finest moment and one of the greatest three dimensional games ever created. You should really get after that one.
I don't know if i think it's treasure's best, never really thought about that really now to think of it. I agree this game is awsome in alot of ways and deffinately is worth it... I own a 64 and this is the only game i own for it.
Neon

Post by Neon »

mannerbot wrote:lol I thought PaCrappa was back
Me too

Ballwrinklingly difficult...LOL
JBC

Post by JBC »

I actually own the N64 one now ^__^

Heh... what was ever up with that Game Over screen? :P
Godzilla was an inside job
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Best. Game. Ever.
Trek trough the Galaxy on silver wings and play football online.
D

Post by D »

I also think that a major difference between the N64 and the DC version is output signal
N64 outputs 240p
DC outputs 480i
So the N64 signal should be sharper than the DC version. I wish I had the N64 version.
I also thought that this came out in arcade form, but I had this probably with another Treasure title.