R2TRRFF: High-speed Hedgehog Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
null1024

Re: R2TRRFF: High-speed Hedgehog Monogatari

Post by null1024 »

Freedom Planet, from what I've played of it, feels like it wants to be Rocket Knight but with Sonic-y level layouts and aesthetics. The handling is aggressively un-Sonic, you stick to walls like they're magnetic while in motion and are never in a position where gravity is holding you back.

Oh yeah, on a lark, I was mucking about with the original PC releases of Sonic CD and Sonic R in PCem. I didn't realize that Sonic R on PC does not drop video frames, it just slows down if your settings are too high. Kind of baffling.
You can also set the draw distance to a ludicrously close range, worse than split-screen mode on Saturn.

I still like Sonic R. The handling remains bafflingly goofy, but you can get used to it. I kind of like the Saturn version more aesthetically vs on PC/Gems, but Gems has a far draw distance and weather/time of day settings and the lot [if you can convince your friends to play, having an actual draw distance when in splitscreen is a godsend].
Saturn version seems to be a lot harder too, I remember hearing someone say that the computer racers were a lot better in it.
Run the game in 256 color DirectDraw mode for a minor laugh, it looks a bit odd. You can crank the settings down hilariously low, like, "sub-320x200 postage stamp with 10ft draw distance and no level shading" low. It also seemed to take much longer to load everything than under Direct3D, I wonder if it's re-converting all the assets on-the-fly, slowly.

Sonic CD on PC is alright. Feels like a straightforward port, except with the lesser US music from the image I have. Needing to manually set 256 color mode before launch is stupid, and in 1996/7, I absolutely bet most people who could even run the game at a decent speed were rocking 65k color or better. I guess it's because you can run the game in a window [don't bother -- it's slower and Sonic CD takes up a quarter of the allotted colors lol, the game looks and runs fine fullscreen], but like, it still feels dumb.
Oh yeah, and remember to enable "Smooth Sonic" in the menu, because otherwise the game runs at 30fps.

In modernity, there really isn't a reason to play the original PC releases -- you can emulate the originals, emulate Gems Collection, play the mobile port of CD, etc. Still, it was neat to muck about. I wanted to back when I kept seeing Sonic CD, S&K Collection, and Sonic R on the bargain shelf in the early-mid 00s, but they didn't run on my XP-era computer, and by the time I knew how to get the games to run, I was just playing Sonic CD in Fusion.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

XoPachi wrote:Cannot get into these Freedom Planet games. Anytime I play them, I just want to play Sonic Mania or Sonic Advance instead. 2 especially is just very aggravating in it's flow.
Freedom Planet was probably a much easier sell to people before Sonic Mania came out. Freedom Planet came out during a 2d Sonic drought IIRC.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Still need to play Freedom Planet eventually. It was originally a Sonic game before it became what it is now. I remember they released the sequel a few months ago, too.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Freedom Planet was fine. Rocket Knight isn't the worst comparison (or rather the two Sparkster sequels aren't), although to me it kinda felt like more like a generic version of Sonic Rush.

My poor, beloved Rocket Knight! Always thought his first game was better than any Sonic. He deserves so much better than Konami, who have literally never ported any of his games. I guess his swan song will always be that trash XBLA sequel from a decade back, unless they decide to make a Rocket Knight pachinko machine or some shit.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Sima Tuna wrote: Freedom Planet was probably a much easier sell to people before Sonic Mania came out. Freedom Planet came out during a 2d Sonic drought IIRC.
You're absolutely correct.

I was actually following the first one since it was a fangame early in it's inception. Back when Lilac actually *was* a hedgehog OC before she became a """dragon""". But as excited as I was for it before launch, I found it very disappointing when I actually played it and almost didn't want to finish it. It's one of those cases where the game is clearly not outwardly bad but it's design decisions did not match my initial impressions. Even in trying to see it as it's own thing, it just didn't feel good to play. I'd be ridiculous to say Freedom Planet is anything other than an indie triumph. But I couldn't enjoy either like I honestly was expecting to.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I don't think anyone expected Sonic Mania to be a thing Sega would throw money at. Or for it to be as good as it was/is. 5 fucking characters in the classic style? It's like they took GBA levels of character selection and differences and married them seemlessly with the Genesis' momentum-based gameplay.

I still have minor complaints with a few bosses (running forever robots, puyo puyo man) but the overall game is far higher quality than anything Sonic has released in, I dunno, decades probably. How often does a classic throwback game come out that can stand proudly alongside the original releases its paying homage to? Usually I find those attempts at nostalgia-baiting to be rather bland (generations) or to miss the mark entirely. Even when they land (like with streets of rage 4,) they have modern game design problems (length and super armor bosses) which inhibit my enjoyment.
Air Master Burst

Sima Tuna wrote:How often does a classic throwback game come out that can stand proudly alongside the original releases its paying homage to? Usually I find those
attempts at nostalgia-baiting to be rather bland (generations) or to miss the mark entirely. Even when they land (like with streets of rage 4,) they have modern game design problems (length and super armor bosses) which inhibit my enjoyment.
The real shock is only that it was an actual on-brand Sonic game. Homages have been equaling or outdoing official sequels/remakes for years now. Fight'N Rage is the obvious contrast to SOR4 (and even a lesser game like Final Vendetta still crushes any OG Neo Geo belt scroller). Dead Cells is the best Castlevania game in almost 30 years. Ex-Zodiac is shaping up to be every bit as good as the classic Star Fox games.

And if my countless ritual sacrifices mean ANYTHING to the dark gods, Bomb Rush Cyberfunk will be as good as Jet Set Radio.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Super massive disagree about Dead Cells but I also just hate rogue likes.
I think Castlevania has absolutely put out quality after the Super Nintendo, but the last seriously good game was on the Wii and it was a remake. I'd rather play BloodStained's classic mode over most of CV's homages today. Really surprised how on point that was. CryptStalker and Curse of Issyos are pretty decent too for smaller titles.

For Sonic, I can't think of anything I've played from fans that really matches his best games. There's always something missing. Spark 3 is probably the best 3D speed platformer we've gotten since Generations. I put some serious time on it (and 2), but I'd rather play my Sonic favorites over it still. There's a density, balance, and pace they just nailed, and there's really no emulating the more festive and "cool" vibes of Sonic for me. Especially since most of Sonic's peak appeal is very much a product of the time. People get close with the music though, my god.

This guy. This guy gets it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXmBtQSqnUY
Last edited by XoPachi on Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Master. System. Sonic. 2

It has mine carts. Hang gliders. Levels that are both speed-run and exploration friendly. No room for error bosses. Absolute travesty that Sonic Origins Plus will include the weird crunch-zoom Game Gear version instead.
Air Master Burst

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Master. System. Sonic. 2

It has mine carts. Hang gliders. Levels that are both speed-run and exploration friendly. No room for error bosses. Absolute travesty that Sonic Origins Plus will include the weird crunch-zoom Game Gear version instead.
Do the jump physics on the first zone boss still suck? This asshole can die in a fire:

Otherwise that game is dope!
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I absolutely can't stand S2 8-bit but like, I grew up on the fucking GG version. :lol:
Beyond the screen crunch though, there's just something... really off about it. I've since played the SMS release, and although definitely better, I still feel there's something off about the game.

Oh yeah, Spark 3. I bought it on sale and it's alright from what I've played, but like... the controls are a bit odd, the fighting and the general speed focused gameplay feel at odds, it just doesn't quite come together. Sometimes it feels great and it flows, but not nearly enough, I'd say.
Also, lmao at Spark's design and the plot. The former... eh, I guess the dev is very proud of it, whatever. Personal tastes, even if Spark isn't something with truly mass-market appeal. The story however, is actually bad in a way that no Sonic game manages. It is difficult to understate what the story is like. Luckily, it is all skippable.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
cfx

Post by cfx »

null1024 wrote:Freedom Planet, from what I've played of it, feels like it wants to be Rocket Knight but with Sonic-y level layouts and aesthetics. The handling is aggressively un-Sonic, you stick to walls like they're magnetic while in motion and are never in a position where gravity is holding you back.
I have a question about Freedom Planet and its sequel. Is there an option to turn off all dialogue and cutscenes? Not just skip with a button but completely remove them?

If you can do that I'd be interested in the games. Otherwise I won't touch them; I watched a bit of some longplay videos, and those story parts are like watching someone's furry fanfiction and I find it repulsive.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

cfx wrote: I have a question about Freedom Planet and its sequel. Is there an option to turn off all dialogue and cutscenes? Not just skip with a button but completely remove them?
There is a "Classic mode" in the first game that completely removes them. I'm not sure if it's unlocked from the start, though. I'm not sure if the sequel also has it, but it may be unlockable.
Air Master Burst wrote: Do the jump physics on the first zone boss still suck? This asshole can die in a fire:
Otherwise that game is dope!
That guy is much easier on the SMS version due to more screen space. IIRC, the music is different for that boss, though.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Thanks. :)

I don't mind unlocking as having to ignore or skip through it once is fine; I just would not want to have to do it on every replay.

Now that I know what to look for I checked a longplay video, and Freedom Planet 2 also has a selection between "Adventure" and "Classic" modes when you start a game.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

It started long ago...one of my 3 uncles gave me his SEGA Game Gear , with GG Shinobi 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog.
Useless to say that later, i became a Sonic fan!.

For me is this the best Sonic. It's a compendium of all the aspect of Sonic that i love!
Spoiler
drauch

Post by drauch »

Are those Pooh bedsheets? :P
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
null1024

Post by null1024 »

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/stat ... 5594933248
New Sonic game announced. Sonic Superstars, fall 2023. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, seems to have co-op play, seems to be mostly [if not entirely] 2D levels with 3D visuals, Nack shows up.

Would need to see more if I'm honest -- I've been burned enough by Sega's absolute inability to handle Classic Sonic.
However, if the physics... well, exist at all, I'm excited. Otherwise, fuck man, why would they make an entire game like Generations/Forces Classic Sonic?
Air Master Burst

All we wanted was Mania 2, not this nonsense.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Air Master Burst wrote:All we wanted was Mania 2, not this nonsense.

If they're not going to give us Mania 2 then I'm not interested.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Honestly, not just doing Mania 2 feels like money left on the table. I don't get it.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

null1024 wrote:Honestly, not just doing Mania 2 feels like money left on the table. I don't get it.
Yes but you see, if they made Mania 2, then they'd have to work with Christian Whitehead again and the old Mania 1 team. Which would require them to do something nice with the community and we can't have that.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I am not sure if this looks great or completely terrible. The 2D parts in both Generations and Forces are easily the worst parts of both of those games, so hopefully they fixed/got rid of the stiff and awkward controls in those and looked at what makes Sonic Mania so good, which is everything except the boring bosses. They probably did neither of these things, but what the hell, I'm in, I suppose.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

The only gameplay I saw was of the game playing itself. Aka going through a loop, hitting a boost pad, using one of the Colors-style shapechanges, bounce pad etc. I couldn't tell based on what I saw if there was any physics engine at work whatsoever. I wouldn't expect anything different from the 2d sections of Generations or Forces.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sonic 06 had the same types of trailers, probably specifically to hide its brokenness.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Game is bugged to hell and the load times are a cruel joke, but I love Sonic 06.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

https://twitter.com/CinosLikesPizza/sta ... 1995996160
Some people are at least hoping it's using proper Sonic physics, but until I see more footage, I really don't want to get my hopes up -- even Sonic 4 and Rush handle these situations, and the physics model there is... lacking.
It would be great if this is a direct result of the work in Sonic Origins though, where they're using the underlying handling model.

[edit]
https://twitter.com/sonicstadium/status ... 2174730245
It genuinely looks like physics are back. 8)
At the absolute least, it seems like it reacts better than all the "Classic Sonic" bits by a major degree.
A lot of the gameplay footage that's appearing... well, sucks to an absurd degree, but this clip seems to showcase how Sonic reacts on slopes and the lot better than any of the others I've found.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I think I am going to go test the physics in Generations to see how they are in comparison to this. What I dislike about Generations isn't really that the 2D physics are bad, it's that the 2D controls in general are just stiff and terrible, and Forces made it even worse.
null1024 wrote:even Sonic 4 and Rush handle these situations, and the physics model there is... lacking.
I played Sonic 4 Episode 1 the other day for some reason, and I think it's fair to say that the entire game is just a giant piece of shit. Its only redeeming value is that I can simply choose to not play it and do something/anything else instead.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

What I do not like about Generations is how on-rails the game feels. Every level feels like a big amusement ride. Boost here, jump here, let the zipline/pad take you here, lock onto enemies in a chain here... It's boring. It's the same problem I have with basically every modern sonic game ever made. From the good games to the bad ones, I keep seeing this "rail runner" design crop up again and again.
Lander

Post by Lander »

I sense the thread is approaching its Sonic Utopia Was So Good Though arc :)
Kind of odd to say, now the series has its very own open-world entry. I've not touched Frontiers, but assume it hits a wholly different set of notes.
Steven wrote:I haven't played that, but I did have the displeasure of playing Tails' Skypatrol once. I guess that is technically a shooting game, now that I think about it... although I don't want to think about that game because it's not good lol.
Oh yeah, that game. I revisited it at the same time as the other two, and must have aggressively forgotten its existence :lol:
Reviewing the tapes, it's stage gimmicks as far as the eye can see, and a surprisingly dense cast of never-to-be-seen-again OC bosses.
XoPachi wrote:Tails Adventure is great and I always wanted it to get a Dragon's Trap treatment or a sequel. It's such a cute game and I miss when side characters got the one off adventures of their own.
That would be pretty sweet. Probably a decent fit for the Superstars aesthetic too, since they seem to be using the Generations style, and Baby Tails was utterly adorable despite getting almost no screen time.
Goodness knows why they put Western Box Art Kirby eyebrows on him for the new trailer though. Terrible misstep.
null1024 wrote:Oh yeah, Spark 3. I bought it on sale and it's alright from what I've played, but like... the controls are a bit odd, the fighting and the general speed focused gameplay feel at odds, it just doesn't quite come together. Sometimes it feels great and it flows, but not nearly enough, I'd say.
Also, lmao at Spark's design and the plot. The former... eh, I guess the dev is very proud of it, whatever. Personal tastes, even if Spark isn't something with truly mass-market appeal. The story however, is actually bad in a way that no Sonic game manages. It is difficult to understate what the story is like. Luckily, it is all skippable.
The clash between running really fast and stopping to punch stuff doesn't really work, though thankfully most fights can be ignored in favour of the quality speed gameplay.
The exploration is neat too, but should have tied the bonus coins to proper unlockables so the player has an extrinsic reason to go off the beaten path.

The story however... Yeah, you can definitely tell it was born from a post-Undertale world, but without the homely Earthbound vibes acting to pH-balance the Power Of Friendship And Shouting weebery.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Sonic Adventure 2 is a very good game.

Need to finish my replay.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.