Gal Guardians: Demon Purge (by Inti Creates)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
NYN

Gal Guardians: Demon Purge (by Inti Creates)

Post by NYN »

Gal*Gun girls squirt the Vania. Or so it seems.

Digital first; retail available "this spring".

I could overgo the origin, if the pastiche hits hard. Seeing main action arguments in SMG and paper cutting.

Anyone here who got it now and is ready to share? "Pure" or "Refined" voice tracks? :P

* more gals less grim, then
Last edited by NYN on Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
NYN

hear me refined

Post by NYN »

There is a demo out for Switch. Not in a habit, yet this time I'll gladly take it.

It's the first 2 stages, sans exploration. I feel it's bidding to a flavour close to a 32-bit Symphony with cleaner, less detailed backgrounds and "pixelated" characters, not smooth 'toons-animation. Yet, who's to say when retro can just be aped and labeled? The 2 bosses are nice and weird, feeling to me a bit one-noted, much like the bosses of the first Curse of the Moon. Action is more as a 16-bit Vania, if one can allow that with a SMG. Some gory effects with slain enemies. I could hear the bg music, and somehow missing a catch.

Would I buy this? Sure, when it gets retail.

Hoy, even with "refined" as default it takes some consternation to verbally state the obvious at every action. Yelling "You're Swiss cheese!!" while firing the automatic is straining it. Oh, the memes...
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
BrianC

Re: Grim Guardians: Demon Purge

Post by BrianC »

I bought it since I liked the demo. However, it's definitely a Gal Gun spinoff with most of the characters coming from Double Peace and the game taking place inside the school from that game (transformed into a castle). Definitely feels more like Classicvania with some elements from other Inti games like Gunvolt (which also has a connection to Gal Gun, oddly enough).

This game was temporarily taken off some storefronts. Was speculated to be due to the ESRB, but it turned out there was a lawsuit over the name from a company that made a game named GrimGuard. The game's name will now be Gal Guardians when it comes back to the storefronts.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

I mentioned this one on another topic. People there seemed to hate it, specially the voice SFX of the girls.

I'm gonna buy it when it goes like 50 Percent off, since I enjoyed the demo.

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
BIL

Post by BIL »

Leandro wrote:I mentioned this one on another topic.
I've wondered about it ever since, your recs always get my interest! And yours, NYN. :cool: An Inti SOTNesque with Trad CV influence does sound like a fun time, with their airtight controls and joyful movement techs. You know I'm more of a Br00tal DOOMer aesthete, but I can trade my body armour for frilly panties if the demon killin' is good. When they dead, they dead. Image :mrgreen:
NYN

Re: *new-new-new* GAL Guardians: Demon Purge

Post by NYN »

BIL wrote: And yours, NYN. :cool:
Babe, I can never give enough lovin' back in terms what you and others offer to me here. Happy that you are piqued.

I just wanted to catch reactions to this game all in one place, distinct from Bloodstained and The Vania spots.

Concerning the name change: Supposing that holds off the arrival of th' retail, at least a bit. OK then.
BEAMLORD

Re: Gal Guardians: Demon Purge (by Inti Creates)

Post by BEAMLORD »

Played through the demo, seems a decent action-platormer of the old school vintage. Puts me in mind of Circle of the Moon's hybrid Classic/Metroidvania approach.

The melee character plays simply and satisfyingly, and the ranged shooter character is nice to have on standby for awkwardly placed enemy encounters.

Brian, or anyone else, know if the full release allows for you to bypass cut-scenes and dialogue? Seems the only option in the demo is to speed up the text somewhat.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Not sure if it works for all dialog, but I was able to bypass dialog by pressing the start button on the controller.
cfx

Re: *new-new-new* GAL Guardians: Demon Purge

Post by cfx »

NYN wrote:Concerning the name change: Supposing that holds off the arrival of th' retail, at least a bit. OK then.
I figured this too. Pqube hasn't updated their page at all, and never had a date for the physical edition though Playasia has had it listed as Aprill 28.
https://pqube.co.uk/grim-guardians-demon-purge/

The Inti Creates site was updated with the change:
http://grimguardians.com/en/

EDIT: Having watched the boss battle in question, I have removed a stupid review from someone who must be offended by the most trivial things. Apologies. :oops:
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

BIL wrote:
Leandro wrote:I mentioned this one on another topic.
I've wondered about it ever since, your recs always get my interest!
Haha thanks for that, BIL! :D Yeah airtight controls is how I felt about this one, and some subweapons seem designed for some creative movement during the action. Seems right up our alley :wink:
NYN

gal or grim they'll guard

Post by NYN »

So. It appears the game keeps the Grim name in JP, and is only days of retail release. According to a seller. For EU, NA, and others it's a Gal thing, and due around the same date only in April. If it happens, that's earlier than I would've anticipated. Fun time aheads, riiight?
cfx

Post by cfx »

Playasia and some other random retailers I found via searching all list an April 28 date for the physical western releases and have the updated cover art with the new name, so it appears it was not delayed for the change. Playasia doesn't have a date for the limited editions though.

Pqube's website still has nothing and other than a note about the name change hasn't changed the website to reflect the new logo.

I would have bought the Japanese physical release since it has all languages, but there is no PS4 physical in Japan so I was out of luck on that.
NYN

congrats, it's a GRAL

Post by NYN »

Updating: It appears that the retail for GrimGuardians launched as planned and that GalGuardians got relegated to the 15th of June. Surmise that is the effect of the name-splitting. For those who care.

I want to ask the bodies who snatched the digital just in time, before it got revoked: Are you having a grand time? Lots of the fun, right? Man, would I tell anybody if I was having party times, when others would have to wait until midnight...I tell you what. Internerd, don't leave me hanging.

:wink:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Aw fuck :O Did it get yoinked off JPSN? Lemme check... edit: Phew! Nope, still there. All set to enjoy this over the weekend.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Playasia sent me an email on March 30 about the physical UK version being delayed to June 15.

It was removed from the UK PSN for a while but has returned, and I beleve was never removed on the Japan store. The name wasn't changed in Japan so I wonder what name it shows when you play that release in English?

Pqube's website still has nothing at all about the phsyical version other than a "give us youre email address for future info" type thing. And Playasia lists limited edition versions but they have no date and can't be ordered.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Grim Guardians was released for Xbox SeriesS/X recently. Bought it as a digital d/l and it's awesome.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
NYN

grim cheater

Post by NYN »

Cleared "Veteran". Snort. Sounds more epic for target Z00MERS then Normal, huh?

It's OK. I like more than I dislike. The strongest is that at no point it becomes a grinding rpg hybrid. All action. Some aesthetic choices for the stages can actually satisfy me. Moody purple stormclouds, black marble-like veined red. It's mostly not the cheap stuff. I find the platform design servicable, yet had at no time a Vania flavour. Maybe with a fixed jump arc, at least in LEGEND hard mode. No? No. :cry:
I did not care for the mandatory fake 2 "loops" to finish, it's irritating to drive with training wheels first, so little player buddy doesn't bumps the head. I need to scrape my knees, with a concussion I learn to improve. Inconceivable: Hard is were the game is most at ease, the things before feel very restricting. It's actually possible to lose a life in the process, not to rescue the other sibling to avoid that.

General atmosphere is elusive, for the setting as a pheromone spin-off is too silly. I ASSEMBLED A GIRL HAREM! YATTA!! TROPE VIRGIN RETURNS!. Better to skip, and play without the, ahem, context.