What's the Radiant Silvergun or Ikaruga of light gun games?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
xxx1993

What's the Radiant Silvergun or Ikaruga of light gun games?

Post by xxx1993 »

Before you say Elemental Gearbolt, that game has more in common with Sine Mora. And before you say Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, that game is more like Panzer Dragoon or Space Harrier than a true light gun game even though it supports the Wii Zapper.
Gamer707b

Re: What's the Radiant Silvergun or Ikaruga of light gun gam

Post by Gamer707b »

Was going to say the Sin and punishment games, but you knocked those out of the equation.
nZero

Post by nZero »

The only possible remaining answer is Death Crimson 0X
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

nZero wrote:The only possible remaining answer is Death Crimson 0X
There's a good argument that Subliminer Sword the Stink is the Asami Kagehisa of Death Crimson OX.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I would disqualify anything on Dreamcast because of the lacking accuracy of any model of compatible lightgun (my vids are dead in that post, but you'll see tons of others also can't stand DC light guns either... pretty much anything except Guncon's suck). Also 1000% disqualify anything on Wii as you can't actually aim a gun with sights on that (it's just a virtual mouse in essence, complete with onscreen cursor in most).

PS2's lightgun library is probably the strongest. Running 2x monitors at once with i.link games like the Time Crisis ones is amazing, especially with pedals for the arcade feel:

I really like House of the Dead 3 on OG Xbox as well (which when you beat it unlocks HotD 2), but that's nearly the only light gun game on that system so might not be worth the money to even buy the lightgun(s) for it unless you're a big fan.

PS1, just for the Point Blank arcade games alone is also a contender (great for parties!).
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Time Crisis 2 and House of the Dead 1 & 2 seem to be the most popular and well known. Virtua Cop is probably a little behind those.

Time Crisis 1 and 2 are so awesome.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

To Far Away Times wrote:Time Crisis 2 and House of the Dead 1 & 2 seem to be the most popular and well known. Virtua Cop is probably a little behind those.

Time Crisis 1 and 2 are so awesome.
To be honest, I actually hold the entire Time Crisis franchise on a pedestal. So to me, it'd have to be the Time Crisis series.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Dochartaigh wrote:I would disqualify anything on Dreamcast because of the lacking accuracy of any model of compatible lightgun (my vids are dead in that post, but you'll see tons of others also can't stand DC light guns either... pretty much anything except Guncon's suck). Also 1000% disqualify anything on Wii as you can't actually aim a gun with sights on that (it's just a virtual mouse in essence, complete with onscreen cursor in most).
The reason why the Dreamcast has a crappy light gun controller is because of the 1999 Columbine shooting, apparently.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Point Blank series
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

If you mean difficulty, Elemental Gearbolt is the most difficult one ever made, and it's not even close.

If you mean in terms of near-universal recognition, it'd be Point Blank or Police Trainer.

Time Crisis 1 is my all-time favorite, though(and the only one that's about time). All the rest give you recycled 40 second timers with BS bullet OHKOs, the first rewards speed running and skill.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sad case that, heard he died of AIDS sometime in the 90s. Guess he was more sheath than sword. :sad:
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

xxx1993 wrote: The reason why the Dreamcast has a crappy light gun controller is because of the 1999 Columbine shooting, apparently.
No, I've used several aftermarket and the Japanese (a BNIB one I believe) as well (as have many of the people chiming in on that topic I listed). ALL still can't hold a candle to the Guncon (heck, I find the NES Zapper to be more accurate than any Dreamcast one TBH).
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

What the fuck does Elemental Gearbolt have in common with Sine Mora.

Anyway the question is ill-defined.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

xxx1993 wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:I would disqualify anything on Dreamcast because of the lacking accuracy of any model of compatible lightgun (my vids are dead in that post, but you'll see tons of others also can't stand DC light guns either... pretty much anything except Guncon's suck). Also 1000% disqualify anything on Wii as you can't actually aim a gun with sights on that (it's just a virtual mouse in essence, complete with onscreen cursor in most).
The reason why the Dreamcast has a crappy light gun controller is because of the 1999 Columbine shooting, apparently.
Not at all, the MadCatz gun is actually similar in quality to SEGA's own light gun and even Naomi arcade games need manual calibration (there's one arcade exclusive, the Maze of Kings, with odd shaped guns that's a pain to calibrate. Some cabs replace the guns with standard shaped guns). I noticed the EU version of HoTD2 is more finicky with calibration than the US or JP versions (I had to turn the brightness way up for the EU version's calibration to work). It's no Guncon, but I still had a fun time with HoTD2 and Confidential Mission using the MadCatz and SEGA guns (I have the JP version of both, but could only find a cd image of the EU version since DC is the strangest system when it comes to reading discs).

Edit: Found out the Naomi games work differently and use LED sensors.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Squire Grooktook wrote:What the fuck does Elemental Gearbolt have in common with Sine Mora.
Heavily story-driven and melodramatic?
Squire Grooktook

cj iwakura wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:What the fuck does Elemental Gearbolt have in common with Sine Mora.
...which describes Radiant Silvergun perfectly. So uhhhh I don't know how the fuck xx19 is making this distinction.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

cj iwakura wrote:
Yes, this. And the darker tones also. And the fact that both have received critical acclaim for that.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Since we have a light gun topic up and running, I'm wondering what people think of Operation Gunbuster (Taito 1992).

I ran into a 4-player cab last week, and it seems like a wii-style fps before the Wii. It has a joystick used to move and strafe around to take cover, and moving the gun to the side of the screen causes the view to turn. It's mostly boss fights in various arenas, and gets pretty intense after a few levels as the areas get more complex.

It's also really hard on my wrists after 10 minutes, holding the gun with one hand and a joystick in the other. lol
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

BIL wrote:
Sad case that, heard he died of AIDS sometime in the 90s. Guess he was more sheath than sword. :sad:
Yeah, it's never fun to make light of a tragedy, I hope his loss convinces people to keep the stink off their sword.
RIP to a real one.
Squire Grooktook

xxx1993 wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:
Yes, this. And the darker tones also. And the fact that both have received critical acclaim for that.
And how is that different from Radiant Silvergun? RSG was a heavily story driven and melodramatic game with a darker tone. It had critical (or at least cult) acclaim, etc. It seems like an exact 1:1 match to what you're asking for but you've just disqualified it and associated it with a much lesser title for no real reason.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

This thread needs DUNGEON HUNTER
https://youtu.be/F-L6V6DGUmk
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Squire Grooktook wrote:And how is that different from Radiant Silvergun? RSG was a heavily story driven and melodramatic game with a darker tone. It had critical (or at least cult) acclaim, etc. It seems like an exact 1:1 match to what you're asking for but you've just disqualified it and associated it with a much lesser title for no real reason.
Yeah, but… The grim colors of Elemental Gearbolt made me think of Sine Mora.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

RSG is pretty dark too, but it also has moments of wacky anime levity. EG is pretty much all dour from start to finish.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

And Sine Mora, right?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

xxx1993 wrote: To be honest, I actually hold the entire Time Crisis franchise on a pedestal. So to me, it'd have to be the Time Crisis series.
Does this mean that Time Crisis 3 is the Ikaruga stage 3 of Light Gun games? Or that Wild Dog in stage 3 of Time Crisis 3 is the Uzura of Light Gun Games? And his apprentice Wild Fang is the Shigi of Light Gun Games?

There are five stages in Ikaruga, and five mainline Time Crisis games....
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Are Space Bazooka and Falcon's Revenge the SFII of lightgun games? Blastris is definitely the Tetris of lightgun games. :)
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

EmperorIng wrote:
xxx1993 wrote: To be honest, I actually hold the entire Time Crisis franchise on a pedestal. So to me, it'd have to be the Time Crisis series.
Does this mean that Time Crisis 3 is the Ikaruga stage 3 of Light Gun games? Or that Wild Dog in stage 3 of Time Crisis 3 is the Uzura of Light Gun Games? And his apprentice Wild Fang is the Shigi of Light Gun Games?

There are five stages in Ikaruga, and five mainline Time Crisis games....
Probably.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

BrianC wrote:Are Space Bazooka and Falcon's Revenge the SFII of lightgun games? Blastris is definitely the Tetris of lightgun games. :)
Oh, definitely.
davyK

Post by davyK »

I really enjoyed Ghost Squad on Wii. Is a short game but has a PILE of replay value with lots to unlock etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehWoJdHlkig
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Problem with Ghost Squad is that it gets harder and harder to play with each playthrough. I can barely get through the bosses of all three missions.