Review: Cubic Figures (PlayStation 4|5 - Nintendo Switch)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sturmvogel Prime

Review: Cubic Figures (PlayStation 4|5 - Nintendo Switch)

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Time for my ever trusty reviews.

Remember what I've said on my review of X-Force Genesis?
Sturmvogel Prime wrote:Heck, I'm sure there's "Shovelware" titles with better quality and replay value than X-Force Genesis.
Well, in a twist of fate, looks like I've found one cheap and simple game, but a fairly good and fun one: This is Cubic Figures for the PlayStations 4-5 and Nintendo Switch.

There's a "Cosmic Puzzle" to complete.
One of many more to solve.

The main objective of this game is to use the random shaped Tetriminos to create complete figures based on the traced pattern by putting them together in the correct place. The objective looks simple on the first easy levels, but halfway through the Easy difficulty will climb the puzzle difficulty since some of the shapes will require a lot of creativity to figure out where to put them as the game barely gives you subtle hints about it. When I said "on Easy" is because the game is divided on three difficulties, each one with 50 puzzles to solve which can be accessed by pausing the game and selecting the level select option. Although the trophy progression only requires you to complete the first 5 levels, you'll be ending up solving all the puzzles possible just for the pure sake and challenge of figuring out how far you can go, and trust me, you'll be breaking your head for a while solving the puzzles which are indeed, time consuming. Especially those from the Hard difficulty like the "Heart" that requires a hell of a lot of pieces. Despite the difficulty, the game is generous with new and veteran players as they can take all the time they need to figure out the puzzle and even the option of reset the puzzle by pressing the Triangle button. There's no time limit, combo system for correctly placed pieces or time attack. Just your patience and all the time you need is all what it needs for being challenging, fun and fair.

Graphically, the game utilizes the starry outer space as background which works quite well with the shiny vector-traced like shapes that have a LED-like glow that gives the game a reminiscence to the old Lite-Brite toy from the 80s (You can call it "The videogame equivalent" of it). As for the music, the game's theme is a song called "Frozen Star" by Kevin MacLeod. Yeah, a "Copyright/Royalty Free" song which is a calmed melody that suits the space-starry atmosphere of the game.

It is for those "Trophy Hunters", Nina.
I still have 100 puzzles left to solve.

For a simple puzzle game, Cubic Figures is simple, but creative and entertaining, even for a short game. This can easily be called "Good Shovelware": Not too much quantity, but at least it has some good enough quality to keep you busy as you go for the trophies and even completing all the 150 puzzles available there.
My final conclusion is to pick it and give the game a try since is quite worth the time spent. Good Luck and have fun.

Nothing more to say. Pick the game and have fun.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki