Getting into modernized retro arcade games

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
ulfrinn

Getting into modernized retro arcade games

Post by ulfrinn »

Something I've really taken an interest in the past few weeks are modernized versions of retro arcade games. For example, the new Centipede and Asteroids game that came out not too long ago. Pacman and Tetris have their modernized counterparts, I've been playing a lot of Beat invaders, and there's a new Arkanoid coming out in a month or two that I intend to figure out how to use with a spinner controller.

But, I am looking for modernized versions of other titles with good music, good visuals, and available on modern hardware. Maybe versions of things like Donkey Kong, Joust, Pong, or more?

Does anyone else have an interest in these games? And are there any I should look into?
m.sniffles.esq

Re: Getting into modernized retro arcade games

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

ulfrinn wrote:For example, the new Centipede and Asteroids game that came out not too long ago.
And are there any I should look into?
These were heavily influenced by the games of Jeff Minter. More specifically, Tempest 2000 (that was made for the Atari Jaguar)--and more recently--Tempest 4000 (released by Atari under the same series as those Centipede and Asteroids 'updates'. Also available on the Switch)

Other than emulation, you can play Tempest 2000 via a clone called Typhoon 2001 which Minter gave his blessing to.

Also recently, Minter did an update of Juno First called Moose Life which I play A LOT

---

imho the other 'gold standard' in the 'classic update' genre is the great, great, great, great Space Invaders Extreme (also ported to absolutely everything). Taito accepted the challenge laid down by Minter with Tempest 2k and (at least I think) matched it (perhaps in some ways surpassed).

---

Another recent (but decidedly less trippy) update that I liked a lot was Cotton Reboot. Which took the Sonic Mania approach of having different designers each 'remix' a level. Also neat because it includes the original X68000 version so you can directly compare the two.
ulfrinn

Post by ulfrinn »

I seen someone streaming the Cotton games on Saturn and they looked pretty interesting. Is the reboot pretty faithful? If so, I may just get that, I am also looking for schmups that are a bit out of the ordinary as well. And I think I will collect those games from Atari. Centipede, Asteroids, Black Widow, etc. I hear there's a new official Space Invaders coming out soon so I may way for that, Beat Invaders is doing a pretty good job holding me over until then.

I am trying to figure out how many controls that new Arkanoid game is going to have, then I may build me a spinner controller I can set on my desk to play it. I might make a trackball controller too for Centipede. All these games were before my time, and I never really had access to the arcade stuff that was around during my time, so it's cool to see these remade in a way that quite frankly, doesn't give me a headache listening to as those monotone beeps and boops of the old stuff typically do.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Another vote for Space Invaders Extreme. It is an excellent game.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I seen someone streaming the Cotton games on Saturn and they looked pretty interesting. Is the reboot pretty faithful?

It depends what you mean. It has new, slick graphics, and different enemy patterns, but the same gameplay mechanics.

I was interested in the nu-Black Widow as I was a fan of the original (and even had the cabinet at one point), but the overwhelming word was that it was kind of a hollow attempt to make a minter-esque update, and was ultimately pretty dull. Still, if it ever goes on sale, I'll probably grab it out of curiosity. I know the same dev made all the Atari ones except for Tempest.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

I've recently been playing the Snow Bros remake on Switch with my daughter.
The new visuals are kind of funky and the 30 extra levels aren't great but it plays like Snow Bros which is good.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I guess it just leaked that Tempest 2000 is going to be part of that Atari 50 coming out in November (which I kind of figured, but didn't want to say anything before I knew for sure)
ulfrinn

Post by ulfrinn »

So what other modern arcade tittles are there like these? They don't have to be official, or even a remake/clone of an old game but at least be made in the style of those titles with better music, sound effects, and visuals. Beat Invader is currently one I am really enjoying... but I need more. Should I get the Atari Recharged stuff? I was thinking about just buying their Centipede Recharged game first to see how well it's done, or perhaps Breakout since I will be getting the new Arkanoid coming out soon, but I am open to third party and indie stuff too.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I've been debating buying Yars Recharged. Looks like an update done right.

Have you checked out Galacticon?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70106
My lord, I have come for you.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I've been debating buying Yars Recharged

I played the Panzer Dragoon-esque Yars Revenge update that Atari put out on the 360
It looked great, and certainly had the potential to be fun, but the control scheme was way, way, way over-complicated. I attempted to stick it out, hoping to get used to it, but alas... It was a game you 'fumbled through' more than you 'played'
velo

Post by velo »

iirc the Atari 50 thing is going to have some brand new exclusive remakes in it. I haven't tried the Recharged series but opinions seem up and down.

Should be noted that the "DLC" for Pacman 99 is a very complete single player game that shouldn't be overlooked. Also, Pacman CE is different from Pacman CE DX (and there's an NES port of the first), and there are two games called Pacman Arrangement...

The Mayhem Brawler devs made a pretty nice Space Invaders clone called Doughlings Invasion. (Doughlings Arcade is an Arkanoid clone and not quite so hot) I'll put in another vote for Space Invaders Extreme, it's one of the best.

There are a few newer Bubble Bobble-likes out there including a recent sequel, but I don't know enough to recommend one.

I'll also recommend Nex Machina for being a Robotron 2084 successor, but it's a more modern style arcade game (or early millenial-style?), not golden age. Come to think of it Geometry Wars is worth mentioning, if anybody missed that whole series.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

velo wrote:
There are a few newer Bubble Bobble-likes out there including a recent sequel
Bubble Bobble 4 Friends was decent. Plus, it had the original. So if you a your bubble bobbling partner got sick of the nu-school version, you could always go back a menu and fire that on up (which I thought was nice, but I remember a lot of people on this board in particular pissing and moaning that the original wasn't it's own release separate from the sequel. You read that correctly, Gamefaqs lists 22 stand alone ports of Bubble Bobble and people were bitching about the nerve Taito had in releasing it as just a bonus feature for a sequel... As the French say: *le sigh*)
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

There's a Toki remake on most modern things and PC these days. Give it a shot whenever it goes on sale.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

pablumatic wrote:There's a Toki remake on most modern things and PC these days. Give it a shot whenever it goes on sale.
It once went on sale on PSN for .99 cents. Definitely worth picking up at that price.

MD Toki is the closest thing Toki had to a sequel and even has some Tad staff on board (not sure if they were former Tad staff at that point). At least one worked on the AC game. Also worth checking out.
velo

Post by velo »

BrianC wrote:
pablumatic wrote:There's a Toki remake on most modern things and PC these days. Give it a shot whenever it goes on sale.
It once went on sale on PSN for .99 cents. Definitely worth picking up at that price.

MD Toki is the closest thing Toki had to a sequel and even has some Tad staff on board (not sure if they were former Tad staff at that point). At least one worked on the AC game. Also worth checking out.
I'm a Toki fan but I'd note the remake doesn't modernize the original much other than the facelift. It's not a 1:1 match mechanically but it's pretty close.

I was surprised to learn that a Toki sequel was in the works for Jaguar long ago. Probably got nowhere near completion and may not have been any good regardless, but I wish the world had seen a little more of Toki.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

That cancelled Jaguar Toki uses the name of the Genesis game, so it's possible it could have been a port. However, that game is already very good on Genesis/MD and the closest thing to a proper sequel.

edit: The Jaguar game was definitely a different game under the working title on Apeshit that didn't bear much resemblance to Toki.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Just remembered Wonder Boy Returns and Wonder Boy Returns Remix.

I think the original "Returns" was delisted from Steam but you can find it elsewhere like on PSN.
velo

Post by velo »

You don't want to miss Donut Dodo: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=70155

It really captures the fun of Donkey Kong and its brethren. It really feels like a Golden Age arcade game but modernized in a way that doesn't sacrifice any of the good stuff.
Stevens wrote: Have you checked out Galacticon?

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70106
I've been playing that. It's good. As some posters noted, it's not too lethal at lower levels, but I find that playing for score keeps even the easy parts entertaining.

I ought to recant my low assessment of Doughlings Arcade. I mean, it's fine, at worst. I haven't tried Breakout Recharged or the new Arkanoid Eternal Battle but they're not getting a great reception. Arkanoid seems centered on multiplayer. I don't think anybody was asking for that. I'm trying to find a decent block-smash type of game and not finding too much. There's also Strikey Sisters, which folks are nuts about, but it looks like it has more of a SNES-level flavor. Space Invaders vs Arkanoid is fun but you can really feel the mobile gameness of it. Maybe Doughlings really is the best option if you just want to bust some bricks.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Annalyn's good too, sort of a Pac-style platformer-

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1508460/Annalynn/
Marc

Post by Marc »

velo wrote:You don't want to miss Donut Dodo: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=70155

It really captures the fun of Donkey Kong and its brethren. It really feels like a Golden Age arcade game but modernized in a way that doesn't sacrifice any of the good stuff.
It's potentially brilliant, but the controls are awful. Really needs a 4-way stick, on Deitch at least. Getting on and off ladders is a nightmare, and it's a shame as everything else is superb. Chuckle Egg, with DK visuals.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
velo

Post by velo »

Marc wrote:
velo wrote:You don't want to miss Donut Dodo: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=70155

It's potentially brilliant, but the controls are awful. Really needs a 4-way stick, on Deitch at least. Getting on and off ladders is a nightmare, and it's a shame as everything else is superb. Chuckle Egg, with DK visuals.
All I can think of is that you might have missed that there's no way to stop or change direction when climbing a ladder. They work more like Jetsons transport tubes that slurp you to the destination than normal video game ladders. There are ropes late in the game that work more the way you'd expect. It's a design decision I can get behind. It's physically impossible to get stuck on the last pixel of the ladder and you can't camp out mid-ladder either.