Games that are Overrated

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
KimagureMachibuse

Games that are Overrated

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

List games that you believe games that are overrated. I plan to create a thread named Underrated games after this which are a couple of games i consider more people should play and know about.

Super Mario 64

This game i believe to be heavily overrated the game may have been cutting edge for 1996 however i believe that this game is really does not hold up that well.

It does not help the N64 contorller was not made well. the controls i found to be far to clunky especially with wall jumping the fact but also the fact the controlls can lead to plenty of accidental deaths. not to mention this game has been speedrunned to death. I believe there are platformers from this generation that are much better in comparison.

However The DS version of this game dare i say is far better than the original much more color in it the additonal content and improved graphics its esencially a reimagining of the game.

Little Sampson NES I really do not see what is up with the deal with this game sure it he a really good looking nes game and and multiple characters is cool.

However people only really talk about it because of how ridiculously overpriced it is and i can asure you its not even worth half that. there are games elsewhere that go for less than the equivalent of a good car. spending that much on any game or close to that is just dumb.

Conkers Bad Fur Day on N64

Sure this game has its charm and was quite bold but for the most of the game is mostly a slog
and most of its ideas in the game were not implemented well.

The framerate of this game like most N64 games is mostly garbage.
plus the N64 controller and its odd design scheme does not do this version any favors.

The Xbox version of this game is way more improved redone graphics altered gameplay to make it much more better of a game and newly added gameplay in it and most importantly revamped controls. not sure why people dont like this verison.

Super Mario World

While this is by no means a bad game and i did really like it i still believe it to be over hyped mainly due to compared to Super Mario Bros 3.

Super Mario World felt like mostly a step backwards in comparison to what 3 added. the things world added was cool and all but most of the stuff is not to the degree to 3. Super Mario Bros 3 got remade to the SNES and is more of a reason to play it over world.

Sonic The Hedgehog 16-bit

The First game is quite overrated the only really good zones are green hill starlight and spring yard in some aspects and there is not much reason to play this over the sequels when things started heavily improve things.

8-bit sonic the hedgehog is actually a neat port and is more consistent comapred to the 16-bit version on the Sega genesis
Last edited by KimagureMachibuse on Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Air Master Burst

Re: Games that are Overrated

Post by Air Master Burst »

Metal Gear Solid 3. Great story, but it's way too easy even without the camo system, and the gameplay forcing you to dig through a million submenus every 20 seconds makes doing literally anything feel like a chore. Sneaking with the d-pad instead of just being able to light press the stick was a terrible decision. Hunting is boring. Eating is boring. Patching wounds is boring. Trying to play it after the still-amazing MGS2 makes it feel even worse. At least it isn't a full-on fucking dumpster fire like MGS4.

Sonic CD. Apart from the Metal Sonic race, this entire game is just wrong. Compared to Sonic 2 it feels like playing one of those janky 90s PC platformers, or maybe a crappy fan game.

Resident Evil 4. I remember when these were survival horror zombie games, not whatever this crap is.

System Shock 2. I love me some immersive sims, but this game is super boring.

Dark Souls. It's a good game and all, but incredibly unfinished. Everything after Anor Londo is barely held together with duct tape and a prayer. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2 both do everything better except the level design.

Every Mario game except Sunshine. Mario is fine but nostalgia does a lot of the heavy lifting here. I'd take most of the 2d Sonic games over any of the 2d Marios, and SA2 over any of the 3d Marios. Sunshine is pretty cool though.

Half Life 2. Kinda slow, kinda boring, ruined the FPS genre for over a decade.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Resident Evil 4. I remember when these were survival horror zombie games, not whatever this crap is.

Wow! Just when I thought I was the only person on the planet...
Yeah, I hated it.

Walk into new into area, have 17 zombies "surprise" you by popping up suddenly, shoot 17 zombies in head, collect massive amounts of ammo boxes and healing herb strewn about, walk into new into area, have 17 zombies "surprise" you by popping up suddenly, shoot 17 zombies in head, collect massive amounts of ammo boxes and healing herb strewn about, walk into new into area, have 17 zombies "surprise" you by popping up suddenly, shoot 17 zombies in head, collect massive amounts of ammo boxes and healing herb strewn about...

It was basically one of those on-rails zombie shooting galleries they put out under the RE license that everybody absolutely hated. So they got rid of the rails and suddenly it's the high water-mark of the series??

I usually don't really do these threads because over/underrated is in the eye of the beholder. That said, RE4 is completely overrated
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Mario 64 and RE4 already?

I guess you had to be there. Both of those games were so influential and so far ahead of their peers, with radical new design elements, that their genres are divided into pre and post when that game came out.

These were the games that taught others how to design games going forward.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

RE4 already?

I guess you had to be there.

I was there, and saw all the unbelievably wonderful reviews from both critics and users (the only other game around that time that got that much--and seemingly universal--love was God of War)

I just hated it. (RE4, that is. God of War was fine)

In interest of perspective: I was a fan of every other mainline RE title at that point (even 3, which a lot of people seemed to hate for some reason). I had some problems with CV, but certainly didn't dislike it by any stretch. But 4 seemed designed to appease the people that would write "This game has TERRIBLE design. At one point I have to go down a hallway with 5 zombies but they only give you 2 BULLETS. Do the designers not know how to do simple addition? Did no one bother to play this stinker before they put it on shelves? I NEED 3 MORE BULLETS GENIUSES!! Seriously worst design ever. I couldn't even finish it" reviews on Gamefaqs about the previous entries.

And they did seem to love it...
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Ikaruga is overrated because I don't like it. :P

I remember reading all the endless mainstream journo hype spam back in the day, when the gamecube was current gen. OUR FROTHING DEMAND FOR THIS GAME INCREASES. And I remember thinking, "wow, this game must be brilliant! It must be a 10/10 masterpiece!" However, at the time, I never did find a cheap copy. So I had to wait until the xbox 360 port to pick up my own FROTHING copy of Ikaruga. In the interim, I had played Castle Shikigami 2 (the game that really started my love affair with shmups,) Gradius V, R-Type Final, Raiden III, imported Mushi Futari for my xbox 360... Do you see where this is going? I didn't know it at the time, but I had already played better games than Ikaruga. So when I finally booted up my copy of Ikaruga and prepared to FROTH myself, I was highly underwhelmed.

I don't think "you had to play it back in the day" really works in this case, either. Because many of the best shmups are older than Ikaruga. Almost everything that Ikaruga does to set it apart from other shmups makes me really, really dislike it. Movement is slow as fuck. Shot coverage is trash. Color-switching makes my brain hurt. The bomb equivalent sucks. I hate the amount of memo.

I realize some people love Ikaruga and that's fine. But from my perspective, it's overrated. Many of the hypeshills who posted those reviews back in the day definitely didn't get a 1cc or even try for one.

I'd rather play almost any other shmup than fucking Ikaruga. I have tried many times to play it and every time I bounce off. I can't justify even a single credit of Ikaruga when the my same console could be running Guwange, Futari, Akai Katana, Deathsmiles... Hell, I'd rather play Bullet Soul Infinite Burst. :lol:
KimagureMachibuse

To Far Away Times wrote:Mario 64 and RE4 already?

"These were the games that taught others how to design games going forward".
Super Mario 64 Already? Never touched a Resident Evil game Survival Horror really is not my kind of thing. but i have plenty of things to say about 64 not much good.

I played this game a few times and really did not see the big deal with this game the game looked really flat both in vibrancy and general graphics.

For 1996 Crash Bandicoot released the same year and before 64 did in the US and that game just looks much more vibrant and better looking in comparison to 64's blocky look also think that game more technillogicaly impressive with all the cool tricks they did to that game.

also not much in terms of content in 64 the DS version of 64 improved that heavily. the controls i mentioned i really am not a fan of more so due to N64 Controllers cluster of a design but all i have to say is oh dear the wall jumping is really finnicky.

yes it was very "cutting edge" but in 1995 Jumping Flash released on PS1 and was escentially an earlier 3D Platform based game that in my opinion is more impressive. there were also platformers that released after 64 that are far more enjoyable for me Spyro The Dragon comes to mind.

Jersey Devil is also a good on PS1
KimagureMachibuse

Sima Tuna wrote:Ikaruga is overrated because I don't like it. :P

I remember reading all the endless mainstream journo hype spam back in the day, when the gamecube was current gen. OUR FROTHING DEMAND FOR THIS GAME INCREASES. And I remember thinking, "wow, this game must be brilliant! It must be a 10/10 masterpiece!" However, at the time, I never did find a cheap copy. So I had to wait until the xbox 360 port to pick up my own FROTHING copy of Ikaruga. In the interim, I had played Castle Shikigami 2 (the game that really started my love affair with shmups,) Gradius V, R-Type Final, Raiden III, imported Mushi Futari for my xbox 360... Do you see where this is going? I didn't know it at the time, but I had already played better games than Ikaruga. So when I finally booted up my copy of Ikaruga and prepared to FROTH myself, I was highly underwhelmed.

I don't think "you had to play it back in the day" really works in this case, either. Because many of the best shmups are older than Ikaruga. Almost everything that Ikaruga does to set it apart from other shmups makes me really, really dislike it. Movement is slow as fuck. Shot coverage is trash. Color-switching makes my brain hurt. The bomb equivalent sucks. I hate the amount of memo.

I realize some people love Ikaruga and that's fine. But from my perspective, it's overrated. Many of the hypeshills who posted those reviews back in the day definitely didn't get a 1cc or even try for one.

I'd rather play almost any other shmup than fucking Ikaruga. I have tried many times to play it and every time I bounce off. I can't justify even a single credit of Ikaruga when the my same console could be running Guwange, Futari, Akai Katana, Deathsmiles... Hell, I'd rather play Bullet Soul Infinite Burst. :lol:
Would like to hear what you think of Radiant Silvergun the spiritual prequel

What i have to think of this is.... Never touched ikaruga but i can see that game being overrated
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Every loved game out there is overrated by someone.

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

What i have to think of this is.... Never touched ikaruga but i can see that game being overrated
RSG's in the same camp as Ikaruga for me, I hate the rigidity (and requirement for progression) of the chaining and spitefulness of both games (yet I do occasionally still play them).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wow, this thread again already?
KimagureMachibuse wrote: the controls i found to be far to clunky especially with wall jumping the fact but also the fact the controlls can lead to plenty of accidental deaths.
KimagureMachibuse

Sumez wrote:Wow, this thread again already?
KimagureMachibuse wrote: the controls i found to be far to clunky especially with wall jumping the fact but also the fact the controlls can lead to plenty of accidental deaths.

It has nothing to with skill issue i've played games that are far more challenging before and adjusted fine so skill is not the problem

A really poorly designed and made controller in the form of the N64 Controller and odd clunky control scheme especially with wall jumping and being able to fall of platforms because of odd design scheme of mario 64 is the problem.

and to further my point here I actually prefer the DS Version because despite the D-pad controls because of its how vastly improved everything is like with added content and newly playable characters. and the controlls were made to be improved in some ways too despite the D-pad

I have played games like Medievil and Crash bandicoot that had its clunky controlls moments but found that to be far better gameplay wise because the ps1 controllers were objectively better made and actually well designed over the poorly made N64
controller and its notorius analog stick drift.

you have seemed to miss the mark here.
Last edited by KimagureMachibuse on Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
KimagureMachibuse

sunnshiner wrote:

sunnshiner wrote:[quoteRSG's in the same camp as Ikaruga for me, I hate the rigidity (and requirement for progression) of the chaining and spitefulness of both games (yet I do occasionally still play them).
Radiant Silvergun does look really cool however i am most certainly not spending that much on a game nor do i have a xbox console to play it on i may just try it in a Saturn Emulator as i heard the emulation has vastly improved over the years.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

KimagureMachibuse wrote: A really poorly designed and made controller in the form of the N64 Controller and odd clunky control scheme especially with wall jumping and being able to fall of platforms because of odd design scheme of mario 64 is the problem.
Ok but none of that is even true. The N64 controller is designed perfectly fine for a game like Mario 64. Sure, it would be a little nicer with a second thumbstick to control the camera, but keep in mind no controllers existed at the time with that feature, and even having a thumbstick on an OEM controller was a pretty big step forward, so it's pretty harsh to judge it as "poorly made" for that reason. Imagine having to play the game with something like a stock PlayStation 1 controller.
So yeah, analog camera could have been an improvement, but the camera as it is does work fine for the purpose, especially thanks to the ability to manually center it right behind Mario.
Not that you even mentioned camera control anyway, so I'm not sure what issues you'd have otherwise. If wall jumping feels clunky to you, and you randomly fall off platforms, that's definitely a skill issue, because the game has super smooth controls, and just claiming it's "odd clunky" with nothing specific to back it up seems like coping.
and to further my point here I actually prefer the DS Version because despite the D-pad controls because of its how vastly improved everything is like with added content and newly playable characters. and the controlls were made to be improved in some ways too despite the D-pad
Ok, but the DS version controls using the touchscreen with the thumbstrap. Is it even possible to play it using the D-pad? I'm not sure anyone should do that, but it would explain why you hate the game lol.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Sumez wrote: Ok, but the DS version controls using the touchscreen with the thumbstrap. Is it even possible to play it using the D-pad? I'm not sure anyone should do that, but it would explain why you hate the game lol.
I think you can play using the d pad but it is just full speed movement with a seperate button for slow walking.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sumez wrote:Wow, this thread again already?
based sumez
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

yeah, i'm not a huge fan of mario 64, or 3d platformers in general, but that definitely sounds like a case of mad cause bad.
KimagureMachibuse

Sumez wrote:
KimagureMachibuse wrote: A really poorly designed and made controller in the form of the N64 Controller and odd clunky control scheme especially with wall jumping and being able to fall of platforms because of odd design scheme of mario 64 is the problem.
Ok but none of that is even true. The N64 controller is designed perfectly fine for a game like Mario 64. Sure, it would be a little nicer with a second thumbstick to control the camera, but keep in mind no controllers existed at the time with that feature, and even having a thumbstick on an OEM controller was a pretty big step forward, so it's pretty harsh to judge it as "poorly made" for that reason. Imagine having to play the game with something like a stock PlayStation 1 controller.
So yeah, analog camera could have been an improvement, but the camera as it is does work fine for the purpose, especially thanks to the ability to manually center it right behind Mario.
Not that you even mentioned camera control anyway, so I'm not sure what issues you'd have otherwise. If wall jumping feels clunky to you, and you randomly fall off platforms, that's definitely a skill issue, because the game has super smooth controls, and just claiming it's "odd clunky" with nothing specific to back it up seems like coping.

You really must be really missing my point and thinking im someone who does not like anything remotely challenging or am just complaining because i suck.

I have had a pretty decent lenghty time with this game making it quite far and just not tollerating the controls it got pretty repetitive with these controls. and using the word coping at a game in this context just seems like a foolish thing to say.

To really prove my point another N64 game like banjo kazooie which is not my most favorite 3D platfomer had tremendously better controls over mario 64 jumping felt good to do in that game and there are no wear nead as many BS moments in that game compared to 64 despite my dislike for the N64 control pad and its cluster of a design it does manage to control very well.

In comparison Wall jumping in the N64 original version of 64 literally requires pixel pefect button input and the exact right angle every time otherwise you will keep on falling due to miss placed jumps according to the game. it gets really bad in some of the levels that requires multiple inputs and don't get me started on the falling of platforms in most levels its not to bad however the falling off platforms thing gets pretty annoying in dire dire docks and the mansion level with you constantly tripping off of them due to how the movement was programmed.

Im a person who delt with pretty clunky controls with games like crash bandicoot and found it far more tolerible thanks to the PS1 controller and generally well design of the placement of the controls and buttons even the original base ps1 controller from 1994 is not too bad for 3D games most games were designed for it like crash bandicoot even with later 3D ones like Spyro The Dragon it aint too bad but regardless of the iteration PS1 controller it was well designed with its button placements something the N64 controller aint.

I have no idea how you generally hold a N64 Controller there is never a definitive way to hold it and it feels pretty cheaply made especially with that analog stick and the stick drift dear lord.

Sumez wrote: Ok, but the DS version controls using the touchscreen with the thumbstrap. Is it even possible to play it using the D-pad? I'm not sure anyone should do that, but it would explain why you hate the game lol.
The DS Version controls are really not that bad and to be fair the original was not perfect in how the controls were programmed in some of the instances.

And as i mentioned the DS Version Is a complete overhaul and adds a whole lot of cool added content which in my opinion overshadows the original vastly.

I can understand not adjusting to the controls at first but to completley denounce the DS Version in its entirety on its controls alone is pretty silly complaint of a thing to do. and plus the touch pad is never required so thats a moot point

The N64 Original was pretty dull and blocky with its graphics and most of the levels look really unappealing being mostly grey and brown. The DS Version is just a generally vibrant looking game without a doubt I have no problem saying that.

This is more of a me thing but regardless i will say it anyways as it fits my favorite aesthetic in games

I Would have gladly taken the games more cartoony and colorful look with its early incarnation over the final games dull color scheme bleuugh.

Last edited by KimagureMachibuse on Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bottino

Post by bottino »

More often than not, the line between a good and an excellent game is very subtle and highly subjective. Of course, when game mags/sites/self-proclaimed experts claim this or that game is 'THE BEST OF ALL TIME', you should be able to smell bullshit from a mile away :lol:
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Multiple top 10 games of all times listed within the first two posts. This thread has truly jumped the shark from the get go.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Air Master Burst wrote:Metal Gear Solid 3. Great story, but it's way too easy even without the camo system, and the gameplay forcing you to dig through a million submenus every 20 seconds makes doing literally anything feel like a chore. Sneaking with the d-pad instead of just being able to light press the stick was a terrible decision. Hunting is boring. Eating is boring. Patching wounds is boring. Trying to play it after the still-amazing MGS2 makes it feel even worse. At least it isn't a full-on fucking dumpster fire like MGS4.
Just play Peace Walker bro. Peace Walker fixed all the (minor) problems from MGS3 without going full "open world with nothing to do in it" like MGSV.

The only major downsides of Peace Walker are size limitations due to PSP hardware and a story that's not as compelling as MGS3's. The hd re-release of Peace Walker even fixed the psp controls, so nitpickers can't complain about those anymore either.

People whine about Peace Walker having grind elements in it, but just don't grind then. You don't need any of that shit you get from grinding. The basic stuff you unlock is more than good enough.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

KimagureMachibuse wrote: You really must be really missing my point and thinking im someone who does not like anything remotely challenging or am just complaining because i suck.
That has nothing to do with it actually.
The thing is you come in here with your searing hot take that Mario 64 has shitty controls with no actual arguments to your case. All you're saying, even in this last post, is the repeated statements of "clunky controls" and "bs/accidental failures" - on a game that's pretty much famous for perfectly nailing 3D platformer controls no less. It's like saying Garegga sucks because there's too much dialogue and the mechanics are too straight-forward.

I can totally understand someone not liking the game for various reasons, everyone to their own. But just making up stuff to shit on only to be able to shit on it, seems a tad too edgy for serious discourse :P
If you think Banjo-Kazooie controls better than Mario 64 does, it's simply just clear there is something fundamental that you don't "get" about how these games are played, but with you still refusing to go into any sort of details about the problems you're having, it's hard to really gauge anything more than that.

Ok I get we have this now, but...
In comparison Wall jumping in the N64 original version of 64 literally requires pixel pefect button input and the exact right angle every time otherwise you will keep on falling due to miss placed jumps according to the game.
It literally doesn't. Like... you're just making up stuff here. Mario wall jumping has a crazy amount of leeway, and there's almost no way you're gonna fail one if you're actually jumping directly at a wall with the intention to perform it.
Are you 100% sure you weren't playing something else? Are you playing on some shitty emulator?
the falling off platforms thing gets pretty annoying in dire dire docks and the mansion level with you constantly tripping off of them due to how the movement was programmed.
oh yeah, that thing that always happens ..?!
I have no idea how you generally hold a N64 Controller there is never a definitive way to hold it
I seriously have absolutely no clue what other approach you'd use aside from this, that the game was designed for - but from the sound of it you've already thought up a hundred creative ways to mess up your game.
and the stick drift
!??!?

Like, call it a skill issue, or call it something else, but it's super clear here that you're having an experience with Mario 64 that absolutely doesn't match how the game was designed or how anyone else plays it. If you're just randomly falling off platforms that weren't even designed to be challenging to walk on, whatever the reason is, that's 100% entirely on you. You can dislike Mario 64 as much as you want for all I care, but you can't blame a game for your own attempts to mess it up.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Sima Tuna wrote: Just play Peace Walker bro. Peace Walker fixed all the (minor) problems from MGS3 without going full "open world with nothing to do in it" like MGSV.

The only major downsides of Peace Walker are size limitations due to PSP hardware and a story that's not as compelling as MGS3's. The hd re-release of Peace Walker even fixed the psp controls, so nitpickers can't complain about those anymore either.

People whine about Peace Walker having grind elements in it, but just don't grind then. You don't need any of that shit you get from grinding. The basic stuff you unlock is more than good enough.
Peace Walker did fix a few of the issues from MGS3, especially cutting down on all the menu digging, but it has some pretty major issues itself. The enemy AI took yet another step backwards, I think it's the easiest Metal Gear game. All the bosses are tuned for multiple players, making them a total slog solo. Most of the bosses are just vehicles with an escort of dudes, which sucks even more (especially for no-kill players) and is also incredibly lazy. There's none of the cool set pieces that a big console MGS game always has, and no fun meta gameplay gimmicks either. All the maps are tiny little boxes with no interactivity or really any interesting features at all.

It's still miles better than 4 or 5, but the series clearly peaked with either MGS1 or 2 depending on your preference.

ETA: I'm not a big fan of Mario 64 or the N64 controller, but that game handles pretty well outside of some jank when making tight turns and some iffy physics in places. The camera is straight ass, but thst's to be expected for a 90s platformer. The only major issue I have with the controls are the fucking wing cap levels.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Just like Mario 64 having bad controls, and Garegga having too much dialogue, these threads are always great :cool:

DMC

Post by DMC »

Some dialogue to justify the mass bombing of birds would have been nice.
BIL

Post by BIL »

DMC wrote:Some dialogue to justify the mass bombing of birds would have been nice.
W-wait. What revision have I been playing all this time? :shock:

Last edited by BIL on Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

War truly is hell.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nobody knows what JASON "YAKITORI" WAYNE endured in NAM 3;
DMC

Post by DMC »

Amazing! :lol:
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I only got into Mario 64 on the Wii U. I concur with it feeling a little clunky, at least there. For a first stab at free-roaming 3D platforming they obviously nailed it and then some, it's not like its reputation wasn't well earned. But two decades of refinement in 3D cameras, controls & environment design have left it feeling a bit out of date imo. I was expecting wow but did not receive wow. I'd say Ocarina's in the same boat these days. Stuff like Paper Mario totally holds up though.