Games that are Overrated

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Games that are Overrated

Post by BIL »

Air Master Burst wrote:F-Zero X is ok, but honestly not even the best N64 futuristic racer from 98 (Wipeout 64 takes it). Then again, for my money the best N64 game of 1998 was 1080 Snowboarding, so different strokes and all that.
Nah, 1080 is quality. Justifiably acclaimed BITD. I always rep that and Wave Race 64 as cab-quality arcade racers, usually to a bunch of complaints about their framerates. :cool: (unideal at times, but thoroughly unobtrusive imo)

Attractive games too, imo, between WR64's bold Namco-esque primary colours and still-gorgeous water, and 1080's almost tangibly crisp winter air and white powder. The latter even has some quality butt-rock.

I'm less enamoured with it due my blatant NTSCJ chauvinism, but even Diddy Kong Racing is quality work imo. Enjoyed quite the Time Attack scene both locally (saying something, given the goddamn VIDYA DESERT I grew up in :mrgreen:) and on the nascent internet. S&P (and StarFox 64), AKI wrasslin, and arcade-styled racing... my N64 stash has lots of minor/dubiously-aging favourites in it, but on those three counts, it's a rock-solid machine imo.

Nobody who's yet to encounter a four-man AKI battle royale can really know just the brand of raucously cutthroat mayhem on offer, nor the bloody-yet-technical 1v1 rivalries that ensue. Image

(I'd rep Bangaioh and Trouble Makers too, but I've really not put the time on either. lots of my favourite peeps have, though, so it's not like I nervously eye 'em looking to sell up or anything)

I jumped on WO64 the instant it dropped, being PS1-less at the time. As with Ridge Racer 64, I had a lot of fun with it, cleared out all the campaign trophies IIRC, but I always felt like I was missing out with both's lukewarm reps VS their PS1 counterparts. While I think Revolution and Rage Racer smoke (the otherwise quite enjoyable) RR64, I never felt much of an upgrade going between WO64 and XL. I'm much less of a Wipeout diehard, though.

Well, no upgrade apart from the neGcon, still the best analogue racing controller I've ever used on console. I snaffled a whole box of the fuckers NOS for spare parts BITD, haha. (improbably enough, my original's still trucking along fine... then again, all my N64 sticks feel like new, too. remember, lads! it's a caress, not a press! Image)

This is bringing back dubious memories of Canadian-developed RR64's ridiculous enemy car AI, haha. The only AC-styled racer I've ever seen where, as you're closing in on the frontrunners, they'll break off and try to fuck with you while the guy in front speeds off. I felt like a goddamn war hero squeezing through those gridlocking shitbirds to get 1st in the final, final, for-real-actually final cup, that night city course with the traditional RR endgame "no drift just twitch" intensity.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Bangai-O is a fucking masterpiece, and easily one of the best on the N64, BUT the DC version is BY FAR the definitive one. If you're really into the game it's worth playing the N64 version once just to see what they changed (it's actually fairly significant), but you're honestly not missing much. Bangai-O Spirits on DS didn't feel right to me at all so I didn't play much, but some people swear by it. Not sure about the Xbox game at all.

Also good call on Wave Race 64, that was the other sports game we played nonstop on my friends' N64.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Not sure about the Xbox game at all.

Missile Fury? It was fucking great. I rank it right under the original.
I think the reason it got a pretty 'meh' reception around these parts was that it was even less of a traditional shmup than the original (I would put it closer to a puzzle game than a traditional shooter). "open-minded" and "flexible" are not two adjectives I'd use to describe the general populace around here.
KimagureMachibuse

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

Steven wrote:Yes, Ocarina is overrated, but it's still a damn fine game and you should play it. The N64 itself is probably way more overrated than Ocarina is.
Could not say it better myself ocarina is fine never played it but it is far from the most impressive game for 1998 i could think of others though but its a fine game.

what you had to say with the N64 I could not agree with more.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

??!?
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

BotW
Mario Odyssey/Galaxy
Hollow Knight
The entire Tales series

Only ones that come to mind atm.

Oddly enough, I don't feel any STG to be overrated. Even the ones I can't get to grips with myself or avoid for certain style choices. I just respect why theyre lauded.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Sumez wrote:??!?
I haven't read any of the posts in this thread but it's a pretty good thread. I could think of some better threads but this one is ok.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've never sucked cock Image but it's a fine organ. I could think of other genitalia I encountered in 1998, but cock is a damn fine blow. :cool:

BROTIP: How do you know if something is fine without trying it yourself?! :o You're just blithely repeating the consensus! For all you know, OOT might choke down truckloads of cock, and what's more, SWALLOW EVERY DROP :shock:

OR it might be a nice little 3D ARPG adventure, with apparently mad historical significance but IDGAF about that, I will vouch for it being aight to play even 2DAY though. Don't quote me on that UNTIL you have blowed it, I mean played it. :cool:
Steven

Post by Steven »

XoPachi wrote:The entire Tales series
It went to shit after Baba took over as producer. Ironic, as he was the director on the single best game in the series, Destiny Director's Cut.

That said, go learn Japanese if you don't already know it and then go play Rebirth, Destiny Director's Cut, Hearts (not Hearts R on Vita, I mean the real Hearts on DS, and make sure you get the anime movie version because the CG version's CG is super hideous), Phantasia Cross Edition, and Destiny 2 and then get back to me~
KimagureMachibuse

Blinge wrote: a guide for MM? idk, git gud?

God i hate zelda and talking about it

No.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Steven wrote:That said, go learn Japanese if you don't already know it and then go play Rebirth, Destiny Director's Cut, Hearts (not Hearts R on Vita, I mean the real Hearts on DS, and make sure you get the anime movie version because the CG version's CG is super hideous), Phantasia Cross Edition, and Destiny 2 and then get back to me~
pass
Air Master Burst

I remember enjoying the Tales of Phantasia SNES fan translation way back in the day, but hating the PS1 game I tried to play much more recently.

Overall the Tales games are kinda like Secret of Mana, in that the handling in combat feels like a cheap generic version of an actual good game.

Also, Secret of Mana is overrated as shit. Gorgeous game, but actually playing it feels so bad compared to something like Zelda or Ys. I've never tried SD3 since I assume it's more of the same, although I do enjoy Legend of Mana, so maybe I should give it a shot.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Bro I ain't touching that Mana hot take with a 10 foot pole.

I enjoy Tales games on a superficial level, but I prefer star ocean 1 and 2. I just wish that series had continue to remain strong. Star Ocean fell off hard once the hd console generation hit.

My issue with most action rpgs is the action isn't often good enough to sustain a character action game. But the strategy elements usually aren't strategic enough to support a fully turn-based, tactical game either. It's hard to marry action with role-playing in a way that fully exploits the advantages of both genres. The inevitable question (from a design perspective) will be "why not just make a game fully in one genre or the other?" If the action is good, wouldn't it be better as a pure action game? If the strategy/roleplaying is strong, wouldn't it be stronger as a tactical experience? But hey, there have been successful blends too.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

KimagureMachibuse wrote:
No.
I think we broke him, guys
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

(Bangai-O!) Not sure about the Xbox game at all.
It's fucking terrible, the DC game is where it's at.
KimagureMachibuse

Blinge wrote:everyone else - this is clearly a man who won't read a word of content in your posts,
and will just regurgitate his points with no more evidence and slightly different wording (if you're lucky).
waste of time.

I just decide to speak in a unique form of dialect that must just be to much for people such as thy you to possibly understandith or even the slightest of bits to get the vendicular complex way of how i word my sentances i guess it may just somehow be too much for you to handle my wording great knuckledragger dullard.

Blinge wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
great grammer by the way crumpet.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

KimagureMachibuse wrote:
Blinge wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
great grammer by the way crumpet.
Or a 15+ year old copy-pasta originating on 4chan.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

U wot the fleshlight m8?
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

how do i shot web?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

people still quote the bible and that's a bit older last I checked :wink:
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Blinge wrote:
people still quote the bible and that's a bit older last I checked :wink:
Nothing wrong with that, just pointing it out to the person who probably didn't catch it.

Also, pool's closed.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

O yeah

also mans calling me a crumpet,
do i look like such a pussy? smh my head
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I couldn't get into Breath of the Wild, to save my life.

I just found it to be the most dull game. No dungeons? All the "stages" are those Tron looking puzzles? Weapons that constantly break?
I don't get it, but hey, I'm glad people had a good time.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I couldn't get into Breath of the Wild, to save my life.

I just found it to be the most dull game. No dungeons? All the "stages" are those Tron looking puzzles? Weapons that constantly break?
I don't get it, but hey, I'm glad people had a good time.
Hate that game. Almost liked it. Then I realized I was playing anime Assassins Creed. So much nothing.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Aren't the divine beasts pretty much dungeons? I thought they were incredibly creative and well designed.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. To the point where disagreeing with Metal Gear and Hideo Kojima simps will result in them attacking you.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

fuck you asshole!!!
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Rastan78 wrote:Aren't the divine beasts pretty much dungeons? I thought they were incredibly creative and well designed.
Theyre just extended shrines that are over in like 15 minutes with copy pasted aesthetics. Compared to what Zelda's had in the past, they're forgettable. And there's only 4 in this huge game on top of that.

No enemies. No unique tool to find. No mini boss. No individual themes. No memorable music. Weak bosses that all went down with like 10 bomb arrows (not to imply that Zelda bosses are stellar but they were at least interesting). And extremely tiny.
Last edited by XoPachi on Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

MGS3 and Peace Walker are my favorite MGS games.
Air Master Burst

xxx1993 wrote:Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. To the point where disagreeing with Metal Gear and Hideo Kojima simps will result in them attacking you.
The story is great but I swear you spend at least 60% of the actual gameplay time just digging through stupid fucking menus. The guard AI was never designed for big open spaces and it shows. The control scheme is a mess too; d-pad to sneak instead of just light pushing the stick was infuriating, as were the analogue CQC controls.

The PS2 versions had really bad framerate, too, but even the HD remaster is a chore to play compared to how smooth MGS2 still feels.

ETA: I do prefer OG Snake Eater to the Subsistence version, though.