Games that are Overrated

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: Games that are Overrated

Post by Blinge »

Thermal goggles utterly break sneak eater imo
If i replayed the game i'd have to force myself not to use them
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

xxx1993 wrote:I should also add Radiant Silvergun, Sine Mora, and Elemental Gearbolt, the latter two at least from a critical standpoint. All three are just too depressing to play for shmups or light gun games yet are critically acclaimed. In the case of Elemental Gearbolt, I just want to shoot some things, not hear a depressing story about the rise and fall of some random kingdom I probably won't give a damn about.
I've literally never not skipped the cutscenes in Elemental Gearbolt. And I own EG merch.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

CStarFlare wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:I should also add Radiant Silvergun, Sine Mora, and Elemental Gearbolt, the latter two at least from a critical standpoint. All three are just too depressing to play for shmups or light gun games yet are critically acclaimed. In the case of Elemental Gearbolt, I just want to shoot some things, not hear a depressing story about the rise and fall of some random kingdom I probably won't give a damn about.
I've literally never not skipped the cutscenes in Elemental Gearbolt. And I own EG merch.
Yeah, but no light gun game will ever surpass the Time Crisis franchise for me.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

xxx1993 wrote:Yeah, but no light gun game will ever surpass the Time Crisis franchise for me.
The pedal is a lot of fun, and Time Crisis is usually great (although I thought Crisis Zone, Project Titan, and TC4 were all pretty uninspired), but the Virtua Cop games have better enemy placement and HOTD is probably the best overall package.

I'd personally put HOTD2 in the top spot, it just nails everything perfectly. This reminds me, I still need to get my Sinden properly set up.

ETA: Dual wielding through Virtua Cop 2 might actually beat HOTD2, but I can't really do that at home without either a dedicated setup or jumping through way too many hoops to run a second Sinden.
evil_ash_xero wrote:
I love Snake Eater, but I have never gotten the hang of it's radar system.
Wait, people actually use the radar in MGS games?
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Air Master Burst wrote:Wait, people actually use the radar in MGS games?
Yes, yes they do.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Radar in Snake Eater is a luxury. Especially if you're playing the later versions of the game, which removed the fixed camera. With full camera control, the heat vision or night vision are better for sussing out baddies. Especially since some russo-putties like to sit completely still, so they won't show up on the motion tracker. The way that the radar(s) work in MGS3 really disincentivizes relying on them, since they burn up batteries. In open areas, carefully looking for signs of movement was more beneficial to me. But the motion tracker and radar are really handy when you're transitioning zones or going indoors.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Know what's funny? When you read the manual for Elemental Gearbolt, when comparing the controllers and it gets to the GunCon, for some reason someone at Working Designs thought Point Blank is more fun than Time Crisis. Are you kidding me? Point Blank is more of a party game. Time Crisis is a serious shoot 'em up with non-stop action. Don't even compare the two.
Air Master Burst

Point Blank was never really my thing, but I respect the hell out of it for being incredibly well made. There's a reason it has such passionate fans.

I don't normally care for the mounted guns, but both Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns are way dope.

Oh! Confidential Mission is basically a spy version of Virtua Cop and is similarly excellent.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Air Master Burst wrote:Oh! Confidential Mission is basically a spy version of Virtua Cop and is similarly excellent.
Funny enough, GoldenEye 007 was originally meant to be a Virtua Cop style shooter, and then we got Confidential Mission.
Steven

Post by Steven »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I'm always thrown off when someone says you should learn a language to play a game. That just seems insane. Then again, my dad was from Spain and I know like less than 10 Spanish words. So, languages arent'
my forte.
As for Tales, I like them OK... but they overdo it on story for me. I just don't like tons of cutscenes. Symphonia is still my favorite (it doesn't overdo it on CS, I feel), but the combat system has been well surpassed in other titles.
The loads of cutscenes and skits are why I gave up on Vesperia. However, if you're totally fine with those things, it's a really solid title.
It's not insane. I did it. One of my friends from high school learned English from playing GTA. It's not that hard, it's just time-consuming, and people lose motivation or become lazy, so they stop and then complain that they couldn't do it because it's hard, but it's ultimately because they were lazy.

I always found Symphonia's popularity to be very odd; it's very much an overseas thing. From what I remember, it got good reviews in the magazines and stuff but had a relatively mixed reception in Japan among the players at the time of its release, and it was considered to be just whatever at best, and a big downgrade from Destiny 2 in pretty much every way. At least, that was what was thought of it at the time. Maybe opinions have changed since then, but I don't know. PS1 Phantasia, Destiny 2, Destiny Director's Cut, Rebirth, and Abyss were generally considered the best games in the series for quite some time, and I don't think that has likely changed all that much. I still really need to go play Destiny 2 and Rebirth; I bought them over a decade ago so I could play them when my Japanese was good enough to do so, and I reached that point years ago, but I haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

While I'm here, MGS2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MGS3
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

System Shock 2.

Downgrade story-wise from the original, terrible misuse of the Thief engine, a perfect examples of "just because you can include abstract RPG systems into an action-based FPS doesn't mean you should."
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Steven wrote:While I'm here, MGS2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MGS3
You know, considering the amount of critical acclaim MGS3 has, combined with how people won't stop harping on how evil Volgin is and how sad the ending of the game is, MGS3 pretty much feels like the Metal Gear AND video game equivalent to Toy Story 3, another piece of work lavished with critical acclaim that keeps getting exaggerated opinions on how evil Lotso is and how sad the ending is, and if you disagree with the Metal Gear/Toy Story fans you're pretty much guaranteed you're picking a fight with them. Not to mention the majority of the movie literally had Woody sneaking around Sunnyside just like Solid Snake.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Mischief Maker wrote:System Shock 2.

Downgrade story-wise from the original, terrible misuse of the Thief engine, a perfect examples of "just because you can include abstract RPG systems into an action-based FPS doesn't mean you should."
Quite a few people think including RPG things into immersive sims breaks the immersion.

The Hellgate London guys remarked that it was hard trying to shoehorn Diablo 2 skill trees into their game, because so many of the guns were basically skills on their own. They should have taken the hint and turned all skills into equipment basically.

The eel gun... was unreasonably fun for how simple it was. It shot eels at things. They would bite onto whatever you shot and electrocute them. As eels would stack up on something, the DPS from their electricity would build up, accelerating how fast life bars dropped.

There was also some conceptual failure on their thinking of the classes as Warrior/Mage/Rogue. In an FPS, everyone's an archer to some degree.

.... Hellgate's really a great example of the value of trying new things. It might be a kusoge on the most part, but it gives endless examples of how not to do things.
Air Master Burst

xxx1993 wrote:
Steven wrote:While I'm here, MGS2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MGS3
You know, considering the amount of critical acclaim MGS3 has, combined with how people won't stop harping on how evil Volgin is and how sad the ending of the game is, MGS3 pretty much feels like the Metal Gear AND video game equivalent to Toy Story 3, another piece of work lavished with critical acclaim that keeps getting exaggerated opinions on how evil Lotso is and how sad the ending is, and if you disagree with the Metal Gear/Toy Story fans you're pretty much guaranteed you're picking a fight with them. Not to mention the majority of the movie literally had Woody sneaking around Sunnyside just like Solid Snake.
As far as pure gameplay goes, MGS2 is still a masterpiece. Say what you will about the Raiden thing or the plot in general (both of those really worked for me, but I get it if you hate them), but even after 20 years of 3D action games the Big Boss clear on European Extreme is still one of the most satisfying things I've ever experienced (in gaming). There's also the little touches; like doing pull-ups to increase your grip level, collecting dog tags, melting ice cubes, etc.

Foxhound on MGS3 wasn't nearly as enjoyable an experience, and a lot of that is due to the control scheme and gameplay loop of MGS3 being a total mess. I assume this is why they removed all the enemy cameras and dumbed down the AI (ok, it's possible they just didn't bother to update it for the huge open areas in 3, but the end result is the same).
Steven

Post by Steven »

I got Foxhound just from playing the game normally on European Extreme while skipping the cutscenes. I didn't even try to get it, the game just gave it to me. MGS2 Big Boss emblem is extremely difficult, though.
KimagureMachibuse

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

To add to the list

Super mario oddessey
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Steven wrote: It's not insane. I did it. One of my friends from high school learned English from playing GTA. It's not that hard, it's just time-consuming, and people lose motivation or become lazy, so they stop and then complain that they couldn't do it because it's hard, but it's ultimately because they were lazy.
He said learn a language to play a game.
Not learn a language by playing a game.
Steven

Post by Steven »

lol Super Mario Odyssey is the only 3D platformer I have ever played that I managed to endure for more than an hour without getting bored, and as such it is the only 3D platformer that I have actually finished. I don't really care for 3D platformers for some reason, although I have been meaning to try Rayman 2. I guess the Dreamcast version is the best version, so that's the one I want to play.

I think I should probably clarify something from earlier while I am here, as well; I do actually love Metal Gear Solid 3. I love Metal Gear Solid 2 more.
Blinge wrote:
Steven wrote: It's not insane. I did it. One of my friends from high school learned English from playing GTA. It's not that hard, it's just time-consuming, and people lose motivation or become lazy, so they stop and then complain that they couldn't do it because it's hard, but it's ultimately because they were lazy.
He said learn a language to play a game.
Not learn a language by playing a game.
I know, but they are unequivocally linked to each other; your proficiency will increase quite literally every single time you play something new and learn new words. All you need to consume most media in any language is a mid~high elementary school level of proficiency in grammar and vocabulary, so get to that point and then everything will improve as you go through exposure to new words and stuff. It's probably one of the easiest ways to learn languages outside of formal education.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm not too crazy about Castlevania: Symphony of the Night either. To be honest, I was always more of a "Classicvania" guy than a "Metroidvania" one. Speaking of which, I don't find Super Castlevania IV that appealing either, in fact, I prefer Chronicles if anything.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

Steven wrote:lol Super Mario Odyssey is the only 3D platformer I have ever played that I managed to endure for more than an hour without getting bored, and as such it is the only 3D platformer that I have actually finished.
Have you played any other 3D Mario games? Just seems weird that you'd enjoy that one but not any others. Personally I found the first hour of Odyssey rather boring, and had to power through it lol.
xxx1993 wrote:I'm not too crazy about Castlevania: Symphony of the Night either. To be honest, I was always more of a "Classicvania" guy than a "Metroidvania" one. Speaking of which, I don't find Super Castlevania IV that appealing either, in fact, I prefer Chronicles if anything.
Symphony is not on the level of the best 'classicvanias' but it holds up nicely. Super IV is a shit game and I'll die on that hill. XX isn't exactly hall of fame material but even it's way better than Super IV
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Steven

Post by Steven »

Volteccer_Jack wrote:
Steven wrote:lol Super Mario Odyssey is the only 3D platformer I have ever played that I managed to endure for more than an hour without getting bored, and as such it is the only 3D platformer that I have actually finished.
Have you played any other 3D Mario games? Just seems weird that you'd enjoy that one but not any others. Personally I found the first hour of Odyssey rather boring, and had to power through it lol.
Yes, Sunshine and Galaxy.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Volteccer_Jack wrote:Symphony is not on the level of the best 'classicvanias' but it holds up nicely. Super IV is a shit game and I'll die on that hill. XX isn't exactly hall of fame material but even it's way better than Super IV
My personal favorite Classicvania titles are Dracula's Curse (despite being a prequel, and I tend to be biased against prequels), Rondo of Blood, Bloodlines, and Chronicles. ReBirth is an honorable mention. Chronicles kicks ass because of its awesome rave party soundtrack.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Air Master Burst wrote: This reminds me, I still need to get my Sinden properly set up.
Good luck. I found that thing to be a nightmare.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Sloppy_J

Post by Sloppy_J »

- God of War series (Haven’t played the latest one though)
- Afterburner
- Minecraft
- Smash Bros
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Volteccer_Jack wrote: Symphony is not on the level of the best 'classicvanias' but it holds up nicely. Super IV is a shit game and I'll die on that hill. XX isn't exactly hall of fame material but even it's way better than Super IV
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Glad I popped in to this thread to read that Metal Slug 1-3 summary from BIL. Top quality 8)
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BIL

Post by BIL »

Cheers buds. Image
Air Master Burst

Volteccer_Jack wrote:Symphony is not on the level of the best 'classicvanias' but it holds up nicely. Super IV is a shit game and I'll die on that hill. XX isn't exactly hall of fame material but even it's way better than Super IV
Super IV made a pretty big impression on a lot of people for being an early graphics showcase game for the SNES, but it really didn't age well even within its own generation. It's not a BAD game, it's just not a particularly good one either. Competent but uninspired, and way too easy.
drauch wrote:
Air Master Burst wrote: This reminds me, I still need to get my Sinden properly set up.
Good luck. I found that thing to be a nightmare.
I actually got it working great for the games I've bothered to set up; I just got discouraged when I was trying to play HOTD1 because the Model 2 emulator only offers native resolution (and corresponding window size) or stretched fullscreen, and that's not the Sinden's fault.
KimagureMachibuse

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

Rayman 2 The Great Escape is pretty damn overrated greatest 3D game? to me absolutley not still a farcry from a bad game though.

I prefer the first Rayman game over it even factoring in that game may be considered really difficult by some. but it has way more personality than the second game.

Last edited by KimagureMachibuse on Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I will forever be indebted to Rayman for this great internet experience!