"Unpopular Gaming Opinions"

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Steamflogger Boss

Re: "Unpopular Gaming Opinions"

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I absolutely can not care about the art in advance wars as long as it's serviceable. Unless it's actively pissing me off I generally don't pay much attention to game art. I love Days of Ruin as a game. Brutal little shit towards the end.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

HELLEPHANT wrote:I don't like iframe dodges, they homogenize the way you avoid enemy's attacks more often than not. They're fine on special moves and such but not as your main evasive maneuver!

This mostly applies to 2d games, where they seem to be cropping up a lot more recently. I'm more willing to accept them in 3d action games especially when they're less forgiving (ie: Dark Souls games)
Yeah. With conventional dodges, timing and positioning are both important. With iframe dodges, timing is usually all you have to think about.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

If bosses can have iframes, so can I!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Mischief Maker wrote:If bosses can have iframes, so can I!
It's even worse when the bad guys have a lot of iframes! A little bit of mercy invincibility is alright, like how classic Megaman uses them so you don't have any obligation to mash the attack button, but it's really annoying when their mercy invincibility is long and you just sit there waiting for them to be vulnerable again, or when they're only vulnerable when using certain attacks so you wait until you have their permission to kill them. Ideally most enemies should have no iframes at all and the only limit on how aggressive you can be is your own skill.

Probably not an unpopular opinion, though.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Mischief Maker wrote:
XoPachi wrote:Days of Ruin absolutely butchered the aesthetic appeal of Advance Wars. Completely regressive, bland, and tired art style. Cant even remember the characters.
None of that interesting use of shapes where characters have these bold silhouettes and look swiftly drawn as if in one stroke.

And my cute scrunchy tanks are gone. :(
This is an unpopular opinion???
The game pretty much killed the series. I'm going with no. It's a wrong opinion though.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

XoPachi wrote:Days of Ruin absolutely butchered the aesthetic appeal of Advance Wars. Completely regressive, bland, and tired art style. Cant even remember the characters.
None of that interesting use of shapes where characters have these bold silhouettes and look swiftly drawn as if in one stroke.

And my cute scrunchy tanks are gone. :(
I feel the gameplay was refined a bit compared to the previous installment, but on aesthetics, I agree. Come to think of it, I also found the characters in Days of Ruin to be less memorable than previous games. To make matters worse, Intelligent Systems doesn't seem to know what to do with the games anymore. The newest thing Advance Wars related are remakes of the two GBA games for Switch handed off to WayForward that don't even have a proper release date.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

HELLEPHANT wrote:I don't like iframe dodges, they homogenize the way you avoid enemy's attacks more often than not. They're fine on special moves and such but not as your main evasive maneuver!

This mostly applies to 2d games, where they seem to be cropping up a lot more recently. I'm more willing to accept them in 3d action games especially when they're less forgiving (ie: Dark Souls games)
Dodge rolls/slides/whatever are fun, but I absolutely hate when action games focus on a stationary parry to defend. No matter where you are, you can just no-sell an attack, so the actual attacks largely don't matter, just knowing the timing does.
It's amazing how much more fun Ys 7 was when I didn't know about flash guard, for example [IIRC, it never actually comes up in the in-game tutorials lol]. At least with an I-frame dodge roll, you can corner yourself or otherwise be put in a bad situation and the cooldown is often wide enough so you can't just spend the entire time rolling around.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I don't use flash guard when I play Ys 7. I use the flash move and that's it.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

null1024 wrote: Dodge rolls/slides/whatever are fun, but I absolutely hate when action games focus on a stationary parry to defend. No matter where you are, you can just no-sell an attack, so the actual attacks largely don't matter, just knowing the timing does.
Street Fighter III has entered the chat.

Royalguard isn't my favorite DMC style but it's pretty dope. I also enjoyed this mechanic in Wind Waker because of the delightfully cheery sound it plays when you time them right, but that game isn't really about the combat anyway. It's not the best mechanic ever, but I think it's fine when used properly.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Rappy > Chocobo

sorry
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I'm sick of hearing this "PLAY THE GAMES LIKE WHAT DEVS INTENDED" gatekeeping BS. I'm talking about shit like external autofire, save states, gadgets are considered cheating even if they're there through the port which is approved by the devs themselves.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Save states are almost always cheating even if they are built into the port.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

It does fix the lack of stage/boss fight select that so many games have, though. It's a complete waste of life to snooze through content you get nothing out of doing. So very few stage 1's are like Rygar cranked up to the max difficulty.

Playing something like Silver Surfer without autofire.. well, the button or your thumb is going to wear out and fall off within a day of that. Autofire on Megaman time sponges = righteous. Autofire on Megaman bosses, cheating.

Iframes are trash though. I'm not just saying that because I've never once managed to roll through something's roar in a Monster Hunter game, even though liars on the internet say it's possible. I'm just saying that because I've never once managed to roll through something's roar in a Monster Hunter game.