Best D-Pad for PC gaming

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Infiltrator

Best D-Pad for PC gaming

Post by Infiltrator »

Looking for a recommendation for a USB PC controller with the best D-Pad. My past preferences were the Sega Genesis 6 button controller and the Japanese Sega Saturn.

Another good example was the white X-Box 360 D-Pad (discontinued). In contrast to the black X-Box 360 D-Pad which was very bad, in that it had this strong squishy/floaty feeling where it felt like input lag between pressing down and until it finally registered the contacts.

Not a fan of the Sony D-Pads, except for the PS3 with D-Pad overlay and PSP 3000 with D-Pad overlay to fix the gap in the middle. With the D-Pad overlay, these D-Pads are very good.

I have a Hori dual-stick for PS4/PC, feels floaty too, though not as floaty as the black X-Box 360 controller.

Also, have a Hori Fighting Commander for PS4/PC, and the D-Pad on them doesn't feel right either. The transition between left, up, and diagonals don't feel and seem to transition smoothly enough.

EDIT - What's the X-Box One D-Pad like? An improvement over the white 360 Controller?
TransatlanticFoe

Re: Best D-Pad for PC gaming

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Regular xbone d-pad is decent (miles better than the old 360 ones - including the white "xbox controller for Windows" model), but the new Series X/S one is better.

However... the Mayflash Saturn to USB adapter should still be around, so if you've got Saturn pads why not get one of those?
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

The original PS3 sixaxis controller (NOT dualshock).
Infiltrator

Post by Infiltrator »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Regular xbone d-pad is decent (miles better than the old 360 ones - including the white "xbox controller for Windows" model), but the new Series X/S one is better.

However... the Mayflash Saturn to USB adapter should still be around, so if you've got Saturn pads why not get one of those?
So you say the new Series X/S is better. Good to hear. Looks really nice, wasn't aware of this controller.

And don't have a Saturn controller.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I suffer with the Dual Shock 4 pad, because the bluetooth polling time can be adjusted to 1ms.

You'd think controller manufacturers would care and always provide options for PC controllers--the same way PC games are expected to give users robust options. Yet, they continue to squeeze out lazy products into the swirling game controller bowl. :mrgreen:
https://inputlag.science/controller/results

My favorite directional pad is a SNES controller wired through a Raphnet adapter. Although, it's wired and I only have a few in reserve.
https://www.raphnet-tech.com/
We apologise for the inconvenience
Infiltrator

Post by Infiltrator »

Just bought and tried the X-Box Series S/X and that D-Pad is not doing it for me at all. Compared it to make good sure with the PSP3000 D-Pad that had a D-Pad overlay and compared Gradius Gaiden for both types of D-Pads and confirmed the Series S/X is pretty stiff and without smooth left, up, and diagonal transitions. While on the PSP D-Pad with overlay handles like butter smooth and feels like I'm really connected to the game.

Going back to exchange it with a regular X-Box One controller. See how that one works.
orange808 wrote:I suffer with the Dual Shock 4 pad, because the bluetooth polling time can be adjusted to 1ms.

You'd think controller manufacturers would care and always provide options for PC controllers--the same way PC games are expected to give users robust options. Yet, they continue to squeeze out lazy products into the swirling game controller bowl. :mrgreen:
https://inputlag.science/controller/results

My favorite directional pad is a SNES controller wired through a Raphnet adapter. Although, it's wired and I only have a few in reserve.
https://www.raphnet-tech.com/
Dual Shock 4 was a horrible stiff D-Pad for me. For sure a downgrade from the PS3.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I would recommend getting a controller without an analog for ergonomics.

I used to use the 8-bit licensed 6 button Genesis wireless but the small convex buttons on top were not aligned properly when switching to games on SNES like Super Metroid.

I bought an 8-bit do SNS pro but then found the SNES angle was too steep for 2 button consoles like NES TG-16 and Gameboy.

I finally settled on the Hori Fighting Commander for Switch which has usb and Xinput so it works flawlessly with Mister and PC.

As a convenience there is a Dpad slider which lets you switch your D pad to analog, D pad, or right stick if you need to navigate menus or are too lazy to plug in another controller.

It’s the only controller I can find which compromises between 2,3,4, and 6 button layouts so you play most emulation without noticing.

img host

Edit: noticed you didn’t like the Commander. Good luck I’m digging it
Copyright 1987
Infiltrator

Post by Infiltrator »

Hoagtech wrote:I would recommend getting a controller without an analog for ergonomics.

I used to use the 8-bit licensed 6 button Genesis wireless but the small convex buttons on top were not aligned properly when switching to games on SNES like Super Metroid.

I bought an 8-bit do SNS pro but then found the SNES angle was too steep for 2 button consoles like NES TG-16 and Gameboy.

I finally settled on the Hori Fighting Commander for Switch which has usb and Xinput so it works flawlessly with Mister and PC.

As a convenience there is a Dpad slider which lets you switch your D pad to analog, D pad, or right stick if you need to navigate menus or are too lazy to plug in another controller.

It’s the only controller I can find which compromises between 2,3,4, and 6 button layouts so you play most emulation without noticing.

img host

Edit: noticed you didn’t like the Commander. Good luck I’m digging it
I thought for sure the Fighting Commander would work out. And it does to an extent, but the D-Pad still doesn't feel as good as what we had back around the 90s, with the NES D-Pad, SNES, 6 button Genesis.

Or when I go back to PSP3000 D-Pad with overlay, which I use as my standard atm to compare. Image

Also, after going back to exchange the X-Box One S/X series for a regular X-Box One controller, they didn't have that, but a PowerA variant. So took it home, and tried for a bit with Gradius Gaiden, but alas it felt pretty stiff and like a workout playing with it. Especially coming after trying the S/X, which felt effortless. That's one thing the S/X had. Along with being ergonomic (something Microsoft gets right) and feeling very solid in the hand. Definite quality, that S/X variant. And D-Pad may even be fine for regular 2D games (so I may reconsider this S/X variant), but looking for something that works well with shooters precision-wise, where one needs to move in all directions and swim through bullets effortlessly and smoothly.

For now, have thought about going back to a guarantee, the PS3 with my PSP D-Pad overlay. The main issue with the PS3 controller is not ergonomic. And though not a fan of its dual sticks, won't be using it for that, got another controller (Hori) for that.

Pity the wired white X-Box 360 controller is discontinued, that was my all-in-one standard for many years. Though they wore out quickly, the left analog, making me rebuy new ones... should have kept one for D-Pad. It just worked for me, surprised to hear it not working for others.

Anyways, thank you all for your suggestions, and keep them coming. Share what works for you.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

At this point, I use my DualShock 3 with the ScpToolkit drivers so I can get Xinput support. The d-pad is good enough for me to play Guilty Gear with, among other games.

I liked the Xbox XS controller quite a lot, but the activation force is a little high, so making small tap movements ended up being a bit trickier than it should have been. Very clicky and responsive, but occasionally got in the way. I'd probably still use it as my main d-pad controller on PC if it wasn't giving trouble.

If you don't need Xinput support, you really could just get converter to use a Saturn pad on.
It feels amazing, and the only reason I don't use it more is because of Xinput.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Are the retro-bit Sega Saturn controllers for PC not recommended? Surprised it hasn't been mentioned. I had heard good things, but it was a while ago and I've been out of the loop recently, so maybe I missed something.
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

BurlyHeart wrote:Are the retro-bit Sega Saturn controllers for PC not recommended? Surprised it hasn't been mentioned. I had head good things, but it was a while ago and I've been out of the loop recently, so maybe I missed something.
I had the 8-bit-do bluetooth sega saturn pad. I loved it, and still use it, works well with my pc via usb and on switch via bluetooth. The controller had a removable micro USB cable and could be hooked into PC as xInput or dInput controller. Beat several stgs with this controller; it was my go-to switch controller while I had one. Wireless and wired input response time was great wherever I tried it.

I believe that mine was similar to this one, but mine had a manual that seemed to be updated with nintendo switch sync instructions. Pretty good bang for the buck overall.

After extended use, the internal d-pad plastic mechanism that pressed the microswitches broke. I had to e-mail retrobit and they sent me a new piece 'made of thicker plastic' free of charge. After installation of this I have had no issues.

Retro-bit doesn’t seem to list this controller for sale anymore on their website, but they have the hardwired USB versions. The bluetooth one can still be found on e-bay and other online sites relatively easily. I would also recommend avoiding the 2.4 ghz wireless radio versions of this in the interest of input lag, but I don’t haven't ever actually used one.
Infiltrator

Post by Infiltrator »

Just came to mind that there are official Sega Genesis Mini 6 button controllers that can be bought separately... I'm thinking of going in with this...

Or should I track down the discounted official Sega Saturn variant? Has two more buttons that are better suited for emulation variety... however, the Genesis 6 button feels more ergonomic...

EDIT - Wait, just noticed the official Genesis 6 buttons controller has L and R buttons added... well, that seals the deal.

cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Infiltrator wrote:Just came to mind that there are official Sega Genesis Mini 6 button controllers that can be bought separately... I'm thinking of going in with this...

Or should I track down the discounted official Sega Saturn variant? Has two more buttons that are better suited for emulation variety... however, the Genesis 6 button feels more ergonomic...

EDIT - Wait, just noticed the official Genesis 6 buttons controller has L and R buttons added... well, that seals the deal.
Came to post this, or the Saturn equivalent. Accept no substitute.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Not to take the wind out of your sails, but I did talk about the small convex top buttons making it difficult to play games on SNES and other consoles button configurations not to mention the 8 way switch makes games like Metroid problematic by random morph balls when you lean to the right and down by accident.

Fighting Commander aside. My go to has been the PSX bone controller to a low polling usb converter.

The separated d-pad and comfortable AB angle has gotten me through over decade of emulation.

It has its weakness against 6 button games, mainly staple fighters, but I can attest it’s been more than adequate for most emulated consoles
Copyright 1987
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Infiltrator wrote:EDIT - What's the X-Box One D-Pad like? An improvement over the white 360 Controller?
Vast improvement. Microsoft's stock Xbox 360 D-pad never felt right to me, too soft, not precise enough (accidental diagonals). The Xbox One controller has the best D-Pad I've ever used. Super precise, so clicky that it feels like it has microswitches or something in it (apparently it's not, just clever engineering). Really great stuff.

However, I wouldn't recommend an Xbox One controller if your intended use is D-Pad play. I had one for a year and it started ghosting on me on the left stick (before I knew how to adjust the deadzone with external utilities) and the D-Pad isn't positioned in a nice spot to use it as a the "primary" control method.

Hori made some decent third party XB360 controllers with good d-pads, might be able to get one of those cheaply if that's what you're after. Personally, I've tried to move on to stick for anything that would benefit from a D-Pad. Its precision really can't be beat, and it's a lot easier to find a decent stick compared to a decent d-pad...
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Infiltrator wrote:EDIT - What's the X-Box One D-Pad like? An improvement over the white 360 Controller?
Vast improvement. Microsoft's stock Xbox 360 D-pad never felt right to me, too soft, not precise enough (accidental diagonals). The Xbox One controller has the best D-Pad I've ever used. Super precise, so clicky that it feels like it has microswitches or something in it (apparently it's not, just clever engineering). Really great stuff.

However, I wouldn't recommend an Xbox One controller if your intended use is D-Pad play. I had one for a year and it started ghosting on me on the left stick (before I knew how to adjust the deadzone with external utilities) and the D-Pad isn't positioned in a nice spot to use it as a the "primary" control method.

Hori made some decent third party XB360 controllers with good d-pads, might be able to get one of those cheaply if that's what you're after. Personally, I've tried to move on to stick for anything that would benefit from a D-Pad. Its precision really can't be beat, and it's a lot easier to find a decent stick compared to a decent d-pad...
I would that the precision is beat by a hitbox, which is basically a glorified keyboard.

I started using one a few years ago, originally using it for fighting games. There was some adjustment pain, but now I also use it for shmups and beat em ups. It gets those down-up or forward-forward specials out in no time. I find tap dodging in shmups to be easier than a stick too.

I haven't learned to play run 'n' guns or action platformers with it though. Still prefer a d-pad for that.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BurlyHeart wrote:I would that the precision is beat by a hitbox, which is basically a glorified keyboard.
And keyboards are pretty rad for shmups. They're what I generally use if it's not a stick. I'm not crazy about hitboxes though because I'm right-handed, and my left fingers just don't manipulate individual buttons as fast as needed for movement.

Same goes for WASD controls; I generally don't like 'em but can handle forgiving enough games like first person shooters. For top down games I prefer using twin stick controls/D-Pad + right stick as I find my thumb can handle rapid movements on my left hand better, and my entire-hand/wrist manipulates a stick better than individual buttons.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

As usual when the topic's on, I can recommend a PSX/PS2-controller-to-USB adapter and any original Sony PSX controller that isn't worn out much. These do work for me. Optionally, Classic Controller Pro for the Wii and some USB adapter to it.
I've some extra large third party PS3 controller (no motion controls, no vibrations) that is supposed to work on PC via USB, but I haven't played anything much with it.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:I would that the precision is beat by a hitbox, which is basically a glorified keyboard.
And keyboards are pretty rad for shmups. They're what I generally use if it's not a stick. I'm not crazy about hitboxes though because I'm right-handed, and my left fingers just don't manipulate individual buttons as fast as needed for movement.

Same goes for WASD controls; I generally don't like 'em but can handle forgiving enough games like first person shooters. For top down games I prefer using twin stick controls/D-Pad + right stick as I find my thumb can handle rapid movements on my left hand better, and my entire-hand/wrist manipulates a stick better than individual buttons.
That's interesting, because I'm left handed. I don't know if that's why I like hitbox better or not, but I am sure there are many right handed hitbox users.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Afterglow XB360 dpads are good (not the XBone ones, the dpads are different on those).
it290

Post by it290 »

Hori has a new version of the Fighting Commander with improved dpad (including software-adjustable directional inputs, so you can literally turn it into a 4 way pad if you're playing Makaimura or Pac-Man or whatever) and microswitched buttons. I feel like this one is gonna be pretty hard to beat:

https://stores.horiusa.com/fighting-com ... -xbox-one/
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

it290 wrote:Hori has a new version of the Fighting Commander with improved dpad (including software-adjustable directional inputs, so you can literally turn it into a 4 way pad if you're playing Makaimura or Pac-Man or whatever) and microswitched buttons. I feel like this one is gonna be pretty hard to beat:

Nice! That looks like it'll fit the bill for loads of stuff and I've been looking for a 6 button pad to replace my tiring 360 Afterglows (and the underwhelming Retro-Bit Saturn one I got :roll: ). I have a twin stick Hori pad for the XBone which has really nice analogs (not too much spring tension) and is ace for driving games but the dpad's a bit too vague for 2D games.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I like 8BitDo a shit ton. All of the models I have use wonderful pads. They just released an Xbox controller in May that feels lovely all around.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

it290 wrote:Hori has a new version of the Fighting Commander with improved dpad (including software-adjustable directional inputs, so you can literally turn it into a 4 way pad if you're playing Makaimura or Pac-Man or whatever) and microswitched buttons. I feel like this one is gonna be pretty hard to beat:

My pad arrived today and my first impressions were that it felt nice and solid, not too heavy (no rumble motors) with a decent length cord. I first tried in on my 360 through a Wingman XB and it worked fine in the menus and stuff... up until I set about DDP DFK and realised that (apprently) they come out of the box set in 4-direction mode- wtf? Anyway, not an issue, I stuck it in my PC and downloaded the Hori app thinger which then proceeded to download a firmware update to the pad.

It was easy enough to set the dpad to normal 8-way operation but surely it should come set like that out of the box? The dpad can only be set to 4-way or 8-way, it's not multi-adjustable as such (or at least I couldn't fathom it) so the four profile settings will be for 4-way/8-way and a set of button remaps.

The dpad is precise and has a good amount of resistance to presses, not mushy at all, no float and feels nice to use. Once I'd swapped it to 8-way was nice to use in PC Annalynn and UMvC3, I didn't have time to try it in any shmups once I'd changed it.

The short throw analog stick is brilliant, it's quite heavily sprung with a definite snap back to centre but it makes sense with the short throw. I tried it in XB360 Daytona through a Wingman XB and it was fine, all the buttons did what they needed to do.

There are 6 microswitched face buttons (A, B, X, Y, RB & RT) and the LB and LT buttons are on the right shoulder where RB & RT would usually be. Where the LT & LT buttons would usually be (ie on the left shoulder) are now the Left Stick Button and Right Stick Button which is a really cool touch. I've always found those stick buttons less than useless and in some games they just get in the way if they're used for anything. The microswitches are nice and light when you press them.

TL:DR- Nice pad, it's replaced both the 360 Afterglow (shmups) and Mad Catz SF4 (fighting games) pads I was using :)
RileyYeo

Post by RileyYeo »

How about Sony DualSense Controller?
it290

Post by it290 »

Not a big fan of the Dualsense for 2D gaming. The haptics make it bulkier and heavier than it needs to be and the dpad is kinda squishy and worse than the DS4 one IMO (although it does seem to improve a little as you break it in).
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Infiltrator

Post by Infiltrator »

Just an update, the official Sega Genesis 8 button wired USB controller D-Pad is working out well. Very happy.

Excellent how this variant of the Sega Genesis 6 face button controller has two extra 2 shoulder L and R buttons too. Add the Start and Mode buttons to that, and you end up with 10 total buttons.
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

The Retrobit Saturn pad imo although the controller itself has a couple of fatal flaws that are incredibly annoying. 1. it drains battery when in sleep mode (you need to press start+RB to fully shut it off and 2. it stays registered in Windows even when off (Whhhhyyyy) so it can cause problems if sometimes don't want it as the primary controller (because a game chooses whatever controller has the first ID) i.e you're using an Xbox pad or something.

Sega 6 button pads are also great.

The Xbox series controller d-pad is horrible for retro games imo.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

I would recommend the Genesis/MD Retrobit instead of the Saturn. I have the wired Saturn and it's pretty good, but the shoulder buttons are terrible. Supposedly the Genesis Retrobit has decent ones, although I don't know if the d-pad is identical. If it is, it's a solid choice.

If you can find one, I'd also recommend the old Nubytech SF2 Anniversary controllers for PS2 with an adapter. The hologram art is terrible, but the d-pads on mine were the best I ever used and two of them lasted me a decade of hard use. I'd grab another one if I hadn't switched to stick/hitbox. The only potential downside is maybe needing joy2key or something to map controls for some games.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.