STREET FIGHTER 6 - LETS FIGHT

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Stevens

STREET FIGHTER 6 - LETS FIGHT

Post by Stevens »

Now that the game is out I figure I will use this post to list peeps Capcom ID's.

Stevens - One-Armed Wolf
Last edited by Stevens on Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:35 am, edited 9 times in total.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
TransatlanticFoe

Re: Street Fighter 6

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Seems like they learned from Street Fighter V's barebones launch and Sony console exclusivity. I can only assume they'll monetise it as much as possible and then drop a complete version at the end of its lifespan though. Is it a Street Fighter sequel if it doesn't go through a tonne of iterations?

World Tour mode could be great if done well. I only ever play these things single player and find the standard arcade modes offer enough for me so more attention to the single player side of things is a plus.

Plenty of Final Fight references too, I wonder if World Tour is going to have a belt-scroller element to it?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

If they nail this I will pay for characters and even stages, but not a dime for skins.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I played Street Fighter V for a little while after launch then dropped it once meterless dragon punches lost their invincibility on startup. Conceptually, it was just so dumb. Street Fighter V was taking the series in a direction I wasn't interested in. Every other Street Fighter I kept playing until the new one came out.

Character designs are indeed great, for both old and new characters. I'm liking what I'm seeing here.

The game speed is slower, and I love how much 3S seems to have been an influence here. Universal parry being back in the game bodes well for keeping things honest (or not so honest, once you learn your matchups really well. 8) )
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I like that there's a really big emphasis on a single player mode. If there's one thing fighting games have historically been dogshit at, it's their singleplayer modes.
They never teach you anything and they're always just a bland arcade mode. Fightin' Herds was the only one that managed to buck the trend. I'm certain there's other, but they're not common.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

To Far Away Times wrote:I played Street Fighter V for a little while after launch then dropped it once meterless dragon punches lost their invincibility on startup. Conceptually, it was just so dumb. Street Fighter V was taking the series in a direction I wasn't interested in. Every other Street Fighter I kept playing until the new one came out.
I love how much 3S seems to have been an influence here.
I hope you realize that Ken and Akuma were the only characters in 3S who had any meterless invincible moves, and only Akuma had the privilege of a true meterless invincible reversal. The average SFV character has stronger reversal options than any character in 3S.

Anyway nothing that's been shown of SF6 looks anything like 3S to me. It looks like SF4 all over again with the revival of focus attacks and dash-cancelling. Also you have to spend your stun meter to do EX moves :|
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Volteccer_Jack wrote:I hope you realize that Ken and Akuma were the only characters in 3S who had any meterless invincible moves, and only Akuma had the privilege of a true meterless invincible reversal. The average SFV character has stronger reversal options than any character in 3S.
I was about to point out the same thing. Akuma's invincible heavy DP makes sense bc he doesn't have an EX DP and he has low health. Plus a lot of supers in 3S also dont have invincibility on startup frames so cant be used as a wakeup reversal.

SF6 looks interesting, but I'm not sure I'll even get a PS5 so we'll see.

Have to say while the art style looks well done, I've never been a fan of the more realistic approach in SF. Chun and Ryu look more and more like they belong in Tekken or VF. I really wish they would do something that looks back to the style of Alpha, the Marvel games and 3 a bit more. That was Capcom at their peak. Looking what Arc has done lately with pseudo 2D style art in a 3D graphics engine makes me look at SF5 and just think eh whatever.

The art style of 6 so far looks to be a direct evolution of 5 where I would've liked to see more of a reboot.

Don't get me wrong it does look nice. I'm sure there won't be anything as ugly as banana hair Ken or french fry head Alex this time around.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Volteccer_Jack wrote: Anyway nothing that's been shown of SF6 looks anything like 3S to me. It looks like SF4 all over again with the revival of focus attacks and dash-cancelling. Also you have to spend your stun meter to do EX moves :|
I see it in that roster concept art yeah, but I agree, gameplay looks just like the last modern games.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
KAI

Post by KAI »

Can't wait to see people cry when they get a 1f reversal dp in the face made with just a 2MP
Animation-wise, this game looks really cool

Go read ciconia
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I can't personally tell enough from the footage so far, and I'm quite wary of the open-world component and easy input mechanic, but definitely cautiously optimistic. They do seem to have moved far away from some of the obvious mistakes of V.

I sure do hope they get it right. SF2-formative-child here, it would be great to have SF front and center again!
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Is the World Tour bit not the same as the one that was in the console port(s?) of SFA3? Like, when you win a round you get to increase your character's stats rather than it being open world in the (ugh) AAA grindfest sense? Easy input makes the game flashy and fun if you're just starting or a bit shit and the way it's been implemented in the past (MvC1 & CvS2 on PS2 and Xbox) means that certain combos aren't possible in Easy mode which (maybe) pushes new/crap players towards learning the game which is A Good Thing.

I dunno. I've got USFIV (haven't played V) and it's ok but I prefer playing Alpha 2 & 3 just because sprites look so much nicer than 3D models. I've tried 3S but as I'm so shit and the AI is so cheap I gave up on it. 3S looks ace though.

Another one weaned on SF2 on SNES here too.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I'm quite excited. So far, SF6 looks like it'll be great. This is probably the most excited I've been for SF in a while, honestly.

I'm also glad that it's an actually pretty game, too. I haven't liked how SF has looked visually in over a decade. I remember being stunned with how much prettier MvC3 was vs SF4 [or 5, lmao].
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
it290

Post by it290 »

bigbadboaz wrote:I can't personally tell enough from the footage so far, and I'm quite wary of the open-world component and easy input mechanic, but definitely cautiously optimistic. They do seem to have moved far away from some of the obvious mistakes of V.
The easy-input mechanic was something that was featured in a lot of console ports throughout the PSX-Dreamcast-PS2 era. The question here is whether it'll be allowed in things like ranked matches and in tournament settings, and although I'm guessing the answer is no, we're beyond the point where that's kind of a dumb rule in my opinion. I've been playing a lot of Vampire Savior lately, a game with an excess of command supers, and although, yes, being able to chain into those is 'part of the game,' it's not a part that really makes it more fun or interesting in my opinion. For me personally, the the fun of fighting games has always been much more about the moment-to-moment strategy and understanding the options your character has, vs. being able to rapidly pull off a Raging Demon or 720 motion.

I suppose there's an argument to be made that the difficulty of executing those moves should be commensurate with the damage they're capable of dealing, making successful execution feel extra-awesome, and that's valid, but for someone at my skill level what it means is that I just don't end up using those moves or characters who rely upon them, which kind of sucks. And for me this isn't one of those 'git gud' things or even translatable to a shmup, because I know that in some cases my efficacy will just be higher not trying to execute a super or command grab, so I'm more 'gud' when I don't try to do it.

100% agreed on the open world thing though, I feel like they're just throwing that in as overcompensation for the fact that SFV got hammered for its lack of story mode — something that has never been super integral to the games in the first place aside from 'just show me an ending sequence after I beat the boss.'
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

One of the things I found great about fighting games was the constant grind for improvement. Spending time in the training room working on move execution, combos, or finding solutions to different situations. It felt so rewarding when you succeeded and the search for improvement never ceased. It is what attracted me to Guilty Gear, and ultimately, part of what led me to drop Strive.

Simplifying execution is a fine line. I can understand the arguments for it, but I would prefer a game that rewards training and time put in. Execution is part of that, along with deep system mechanics and character knowledge. It's hype seeing a highly difficult sequence in a competitive environment.

Of course this is just my preference. Fighting games are (were?) a niche genre, and to appeal to the masses, they have to be made easier to play.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
kid aphex

Re: Street Fighter 6 - Guile Trailer

Post by kid aphex »

I’ll be honest… when SF6 was first announced, I was more than disinterested… I was disappointed.
But with each successive bit of media they release, I’m increasingly optimistic.
And this Guile trailer got me - big time.

SF5 is one of the most underwhelming fighters ever made…
Disappointing in so many ways.
I hope one day some inspired historian digs into all the behind-the-scenes details that are responsible for making it so mediocre.
It’s blandness damaged the franchise in a way that I wasn’t sure it would be able to recover from.

But…everything they’ve released about 6 so far shows a level of attention, energy and creativity that 5 was completely devoid of.

6 definitely has a different vibe… and I’m thankful for it.
Without change the series was headed for irrelevance and extinction.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

They’ve also uploaded two music tracks from the game

https://youtu.be/8bg-nvvI9D0

https://youtu.be/0MZPZFAaJ7w

I think both are pretty damn modern/awesome sounding.
Been listening to both on and off and they’re only getting better.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Here’s a good and detailed breakdown from Max featuring some awesome gameplay footage from decent players (him vs devs)

https://youtu.be/7R7iu35WOTo
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BurlyHeart wrote:One of the things I found great about fighting games was the constant grind for improvement. Spending time in the training room working on move execution, combos, or finding solutions to different situations. It felt so rewarding when you succeeded and the search for improvement never ceased. It is what attracted me to Guilty Gear, and ultimately, part of what led me to drop Strive.

Simplifying execution is a fine line. I can understand the arguments for it, but I would prefer a game that rewards training and time put in. Execution is part of that, along with deep system mechanics and character knowledge. It's hype seeing a highly difficult sequence in a competitive environment.

Of course this is just my preference. Fighting games are (were?) a niche genre, and to appeal to the masses, they have to be made easier to play.
I wouldn't worry about simple commands. New players can use them, but you lose a fair amount of moves as a result. And that shit will never be allowed in tourneys anyway. I could even see it being a toggle on/off for online. Come to think of it I recall Blazeblue CT having something similar.
kid aphex wrote:I’ll be honest… when SF6 was first announced, I was more than disinterested… I was disappointed.
But with each successive bit of media they release, I’m increasingly optimistic.
And this Guile trailer got me - big time.

SF5 is one of the most underwhelming fighters ever made…
Disappointing in so many ways.
I hope one day some inspired historian digs into all the behind-the-scenes details that are responsible for making it so mediocre.
It’s blandness damaged the franchise in a way that I wasn’t sure it would be able to recover from.

But…everything they’ve released about 6 so far shows a level of attention, energy and creativity that 5 was completely devoid of.

6 definitely has a different vibe… and I’m thankful for it.
Without change the series was headed for irrelevance and extinction.
I've made my thoughts on V known a few times (it sucked) so I am in complete agreement with you. I was hype from the start though and each release just gets better and better.
BulletMagnet wrote:Some early impressions.

EDIT: Rollback confirmed.
Thanks for posting this BM.

I watched Max's thoughts earlier. As a claw main I've been wondering who of the opening cast I would wind up maining since he isn't available yet. Have to admit Chun looks sick. I played her a bit in SSFIV just because she was a better version of Vega.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

This should become the official SF6 thread.
Has anyone seen Cammy’s leaked Super?
Shit looks amazing …

https://youtu.be/AQO52mP7Tlc

They’ve taken fighting game presentation to the next level.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Indeed it does.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Stevens wrote: Noticeably missing are Shadowloo, but I'm presuming they'll come around at some point.
Isn’t Shadaloo done by now, though? M. Bison and Shadaloo were destroyed at the end of Street Fighter V.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I want either Claw or a character that plays like Claw, AKI looks like she might fit the bill.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

kid aphex wrote:This should become the official SF6 thread.
Has anyone seen Cammy’s leaked Super?
Shit looks amazing …

They’ve taken fighting game presentation to the next level.
Yeah I will keep the first post updated with character trailers and anything else you guys think should be in it. Major game play reveals, new builds, anything.
drauch

Post by drauch »

kid aphex wrote: Has anyone seen Cammy’s leaked Super?
Shit looks amazing …

That seems like something that would be cool to see a few times, then into the territory of 'hurry the fuck up and get back to the game'. That sort of stuff just really interrupts the gameplay for me, I don't understand it. Seems like something that should be in single player only. But I'm sure I'm the minority!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

drauch wrote:
Shit looks amazing …

That seems like something that would be cool to see a few times, then into the territory of 'hurry the fuck up and get back to the game'. That sort of stuff just really interrupts the gameplay for me, I don't understand it. Seems like something that should be in single player only. But I'm sure I'm the minority!
I agree. Maybe have just normal move animations (if that's possible, I don't know) during a round and play the cut scene stuff if it's a finishing move, or maybe an option to just turn them off altogether?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

SF6 - Everyone Has Beards Now
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Sumez wrote:SF6 - Everyone Has Beards Now
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

sunnshiner wrote:
drauch wrote:
Shit looks amazing …

I agree. Maybe have just normal move animations (if that's possible, I don't know) during a round and play the cut scene stuff if it's a finishing move, or maybe an option to just turn them off altogether?
An invitation to rage quit is what it is. Happened me so many times during a game-winning Heavenly Potemkin Buster :lol:
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles