R-Type Tactics I & II remakes incoming

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Rastan78

R-Type Tactics I & II remakes incoming

Post by Rastan78 »

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/04/r-type- ... -announced

Being done by Final II dev Granzella.
Not sure if this belonged here or in other gaming?
MidnightWolf

Re: R-Type Tactics I & II remakes incoming

Post by MidnightWolf »

Rastan78 wrote:https://www.gematsu.com/2022/04/r-type- ... -announced

Being done by Final II dev Granzella.
Not sure if this belonged here or in other gaming?
Oh dear God no! Not Granzella! :roll:

Is it going to cost $60, have a "special all-inclusive" edition drop 2 days after the pre-order ends to make people who pre-ordered feel ripped-off, and have an endless amount of overpriced DLC for the next 2 years?

I got completely shafted pre-ordering R-Type Final 2, so when i see the name Granzella, i don't want to touch anything they make ever again and they won't get another penny off me.

Besides, we already have R-Type Dimensions EX collection on all platforms, so why are they making another one now anyway?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/9283 ... nsions_EX/
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

MidnightWolf wrote: Besides, we already have R-Type Dimensions EX collection on all platforms, so why are they making another one now?
This is R-Type Tactics from the PSP. As far as I know the second one was never released outside of Japan.

If you're not familiar with these games, they're strategy games based on the R-Type series rather than shmups.
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

Rastan78 wrote:
MidnightWolf wrote: Besides, we already have R-Type Dimensions EX collection on all platforms, so why are they making another one now?
This is R-Type Tactics from the PSP. As far as I know the second one was never released outside of Japan.

If you're not familiar with these games, they're strategy games based on the R-Type series rather than shmups.
R-Type Tactics was released on PSP worldwide, but R-Type Tactics 2: Operation Bitter Chocolate, was Japan exclusive.

There is a very good English fan translation though, so it's playable on emulators like, PPSSPP.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I tried these games on PSP and wasn't really a fan. I think the high water mark for strategy games for me is Mario+Rabbids, that game has some great mechanics and is tons of fun.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

I can see why they plan to remake the two Tactics games as a lot of the assets have already been created for R-Type Final 2 and its dlc. Easy money perhaps!

As for R-Type Final 2, I have bought all its dlc and enjoyed the whole of it immensely. But then I never get the complaining of dlc practices when it comes to actual new content like these great homage stages. Dlcs of new skins and other cosmetic bollocks can be safely ignored but new levels or ships are always welcome in a game I enjoy.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I've never played these! I foolishly sold my PSP back in 2007, right before its library exploded. I got a Vita when it hit, but so many things from the PSP library never made it to PSN and were stranded on UMD.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Just last week I was thinking about trying these. I guess I'll wait for these remakes.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I liked what Tactics was going for and actually find it a very good idea that fits the R-Type universe. Its a lot better suited to this low energy, brooding style they seem to be obsessed with for this series at least.

But I can't stand Final 2 so I'm not exactly bouncing off the walls for anything more from the same team.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

R-Type fans really are spoiled these days. This is something I'd like to play on Steam with a mouse and keyboard.

I had a fun summer with the first game, used to take my PSP camping and sit out under the stars, trying to build and max out every unit possible instead of interacting with my family.

The second game is brutal in a way that really isnt much fun. I made it past Geirrod and Glitnir but my enthusiasm fizzled out just after Green Inferno. The game is just a slog.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
subcons

Post by subcons »

Sengoku Strider wrote:I've never played these! I foolishly sold my PSP back in 2007, right before its library exploded. I got a Vita when it hit, but so many things from the PSP library never made it to PSN and were stranded on UMD.
PS Vita with CFW is a really great handheld and runs PSP games no problem.
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

Samildanach wrote:I can see why they plan to remake the two Tactics games as a lot of the assets have already been created for R-Type Final 2 and its dlc. Easy money perhaps!
Exactly... Granzella like easy money with minimal effort. They will milk the hell out of this franchise.

They'll be dropping R-Type Tactics 3 with 100% recycled assets next. :roll:
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

Still crazy to me that R-Type Leo hasn't been ported somewhere yet. It's more accessible and has an excellent presentation. I know it's not a "true" R-Type but I feel like it would do well on Switch.
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

blazinglazers69 wrote:Still crazy to me that R-Type Leo hasn't been ported somewhere yet. It's more accessible and has an excellent presentation. I know it's not a "true" R-Type but I feel like it would do well on Switch.
The problem with R-Type Leo is, how would you justify the price tag for just one game?

The sensible option would be to charge £6.99 for the game on it's own, just like Hamster do with the Arcade Archive games.

But Irem would not allow such a low price for their super-rare Star IP, so you would have to release some kind of compilation, maybe with R-Type 1 & 2 and In the Hunt. Such a compilation would probably have a price of £30-£40 for a "complete collection" type package. How many casual kiddy gamers are going to pay £40 for "a bunch of old arcade ports that nobody ever heard of" ?

Plus, who is going to pay £40 for such a compilation when In the Hunt is already £6.99 on the Nintendo eShop, and R-Type Dimensions EX is £13.99?

So yeah, it would be a difficult one to push.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

R-Type Leo is so good. The visuals and music have a timeless appeal. I remember when I first saw it in motion and heard the music, and I was immediately like "Yeah, I have to play this right now."

I think just adding a main menu with replays and a practice mode/save states, and it would instantly jump into the upper echelon of shmups on switch. Would gladly pay $20 or more for something like that.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, R-Type Leo is a really cool game and I love playing it. I'm very disappointed that it has only ever been released at home on that PC collection that's no longer available to buy and that supposedly has absolutely terrible emulation.

If it showed up on ACA, GOG, Steam, M2 ShotTriggers, or maybe even if Shitty Connection somehow managed to inexplicably get the license to and release it, insta-buy. I'd pay a lot of cash for an M2 ShotTriggers R-Type collection with everything from R-Type to Delta. I'd pay the 8000 yen just for ShotTriggers R-Type + R-Type II even though I already have Dimensions, but both Leo and Gallop, the latter of which I have never played, definitely deserve a modern rerelease.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

Already said but the first R-Type Tactics was released as R-Type Command internationally.

While R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate was Japan only. In recent years it's gotten a fan translated English patch.

I enjoyed the first game a lot.

I'm curious about what the remakes will look like visually/graphically, if it'll be more than the PSP visuals in HD, or not.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

This is releasing summer 2023 for PS5/PS4, Switch and PC as a worldwide release.

Updated pics on the official site:
https://rtypetactics.com/index.html
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Granzella to Launch Crowdfunding for "R-Type Tactics I・II Cosmos" Additional Scenario Production Project

A Kickstarter for new content to the game, BUT none of the reward tiers actually gives you the game so you still need to purchase that separately, AND one of the tiers actually gives you two more playable ships in R-Type Final 2/3.

So to get the fully complete experience of Final 2/3, you need to back a completely different game in a totally different genre, for ~400 USD.

I'm glad that the Tactics games are getting ported to modern systems, but they can just fuck off with this nonsense.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

blazinglazers69 wrote:Still crazy to me that R-Type Leo hasn't been ported somewhere yet.
Some years ago DotEmu included it in an Irem arcade collection they did, but it had issues they never fixed and it's no longer for sale.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Time to pop in the PCB :mrgreen:
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

MidnightWolf wrote:Exactly... Granzella like easy money with minimal effort. They will milk the hell out of this franchise.
They just released paid DLCs with bonus resources for unlocking ships in Final 2.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I remember when Tactics 1 was coming out as a kid and it was surprisingly pushed. My mall GameStop had banners all over for it and these cute little display mini figures.

I guess it makes sense. Handheld tactics games were kinda popular at that time.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

That Kickstarter is ridiculous with those pledge tiers. No thanks, Granzella. I'll pick up a retail copy later.
Last edited by pablumatic on Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

All I want is a remake of R-Type Delta. Not by Granzella, though.