The Non-Shmup 1CC Thread - Share Your Triumphs Here!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sima Tuna

Re: The Non-Shmup 1CC Thread - Share Your Triumphs Here!

Post by Sima Tuna »

I continue to play and get 1ccs on extremely easy games. This time, it's Mega Man 10 Easy Mode with Proto Man.

MM10's easy mode is very, very easy. The game showers you in resources like lives, heals you fully before boss fights and it introduces a ton of platforms that block spikes and instant death pits. Playing as Proto Man gives you the slide and charge shot, but you take 2x damage from everything. So playing on Easy Mode, the platforming challenges become trivial and you can blast through the levels at a very brisk pace. But bosses can still dish out some damage to you. As long as you use the resources the game floods you with, a 1cc is virtually certain. That said, an easy clear can still be fun for me and this game is very fun.

My decision to play this way was motivated by a desire to relax and concentrate on enjoying the music. MM10 has some of the best chiptunes in the classic series, in my opinion. Given the choice between Mega and Proto, I do think Proto's play style is a lot more fun, even when playing on Normal difficulty. Rock's lack of charge shot and slide really hurt in the moment-to-moment gameplay. I understand not giving Rock the charge shot, but there's no reason to gimp his mobility so hard.

I don't know if I'll ever 1cc a mega man game on the default difficulty. I suck really bad at precision platforming challenges. :lol:
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge 1cc - Arcade Gnarly - Raphael 8)
https://youtu.be/lsk50WVxQ4M

I really didn't like this game when it first dropped, much preferring Final Vendetta (which came out the same week iirc.) However a new patch fixed some things. It is definitely better to play but the same old issues persist. The bosses are definitely the weak point, with their attacks and patterns being very samey. Only being allowed to hurt them at certain points can be quite boring in all honesty, as there is a lot of waiting around for their invincibility to end. The game is also too long for an arcade style action title in my opinion, and it can still be very frustratingly cheap at times.

The recent patch also introduced a new menu with some cool options to toggle on and off, such as changing how supers work or increasing the hp of enemies.

It does look and sound amazing. There was a lot of love gone into this. And this probably makes its glaring issues more infuriating in all honesty. But if you can get past that, it can be fun. Just got to play the game on its rules imo, and not wish for something else.

Overall, I'd recommend it, but don't be expecting a masterpiece. I have yet to play it in multi-player but imagine it would be a lot of fun.
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Mon May 08, 2023 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Objectively, Final Vendetta is a far superior game to Shredder's Revenge, but Shredders Revenge made me FEEL THINGS.

If you were the right age to have been super into Ninja Turtles the first time around the nostalgia hit is second to none. Otherwise it's just an average belt-scroller with amazing production values.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sima Tuna wrote:I don't know if I'll ever 1cc a mega man game on the default difficulty. I suck really bad at precision platforming challenges. :lol:
1ccing most Mega Man games is actually really easy, technically, if you're willing to spend a LOT of time sitting in one spot killing a convenient enemy over and over for RNG dropped extra lives :V stockpile them any time you need, and don't lose them all during a boss rush section haha. This does, ultimately, make 1ccing them less meaningfully impressive since you can simply stock up lives whenever you please (even moreso on games where you can revisit levels, especially if the 1ups respawn).

Deathless runs are way harder obviously, and no damage runs are frankly crazy in that they require way more dedication than I'd likely ever invest.
BurlyHeart wrote:Overall, I'd recommend it, but don't be expecting a masterpiece.
What's your opinion on the whole taunting as your means of attacking bosses thing it seems to have going on? On one hand it's nice that it's player controlled, but on the other it feels like the taunting thing breaks the flow more than Streets of Rage 3 / Fight 'n Rage's automatically recharging meter does.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:Overall, I'd recommend it, but don't be expecting a masterpiece.
What's your opinion on the whole taunting as your means of attacking bosses thing it seems to have going on? On one hand it's nice that it's player controlled, but on the other it feels like the taunting thing breaks the flow more than Streets of Rage 3 / Fight 'n Rage's automatically recharging meter does.
I hated it at first, and actually refused to use it the first time I played the game. You can also build meter by hitting enemies, which I thought was a more interesting way of doing things. However if an enemy hits you before the super bar is full, it will reset to zero. Given the cheapness of some strikes, its a bit much imo. More importantly, because of how the bosses are designed, it can be hard to build up meter by striking them. Many will only take three hits before falling down and becoming invincible again or striking back at you.

When I tried to play like this, I had big trouble with Zorax (dino) and Chrome Dome (robot Shredder), as it can take quite a while to kill them with regular attacks. Thankfully, both of these bosses have been toned down in the new patch, so it may be more feasible now. I just don't want to subject myself to trying it again...

TL;DR: because of how the bosses are designed, the taunt is probably necessary to build meter. I don't like it though. It's boring and repetitive. But if you can accept it's part of the game, you will enjoy it more.
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Mon May 08, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

You can also build meter by hitting enemies, which I thought was a more interesting way of doing things. However if an enemy hits you before the super bar is full, it will reset to zero.
The "attack to fill meter" thing works if you don't have to use a special potentially as a dodge multiple times in a row, but breaks down otherwise. The fact that any poke will empty your meter if special isn't ready, especially in a game where lots of enemies can just superarmor through your hits frankly breaks it completely and the system in TMNT feels a bit like trying to reinvent the wheel to me. SoR4's system is a bit better, albeit you risk a LOT of health if you try flashy juggle combos then eat a jab.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:I don't know if I'll ever 1cc a mega man game on the default difficulty. I suck really bad at precision platforming challenges. :lol:
1ccing most Mega Man games is actually really easy, technically, if you're willing to spend a LOT of time sitting in one spot killing a convenient enemy over and over for RNG dropped extra lives :V stockpile them any time you need, and don't lose them all during a boss rush section haha. This does, ultimately, make 1ccing them less meaningfully impressive since you can simply stock up lives whenever you please (even moreso on games where you can revisit levels, especially if the 1ups respawn).
Farming in mega man is kinda lame. I'll do it once in a while if I'm down to low hp and need a fast refill before a boss, but farming lives is pretty lame.

I'm definitely changing my opinions on these classic mega mans as I replay them. MM2 is fun but also quite easy, outside of instant kill traps. MM5 is blander than I remember. The lack of any good boss weapons hurts that game and the autoscroller in the middle of Wave Man's level isn't very good or replayable. I really like MM6. The Rush Adapters are cool as heck. I wish they were kept for subsequent games. With modern controllers, transformations could have easily been mapped to their own buttons in later games to add gameplay depth without forcing players to sit through a transformation cutscene. :lol: MM6's Flame Man is pretty much a perfectly designed level and it has great music too.

MM2 1cc is probably doable, now that I think about it. Mainly because you can farm the pipi birds with metal blades really easily and quickly. I assume the game still has that little glitch/feature where drops get multiplied if enemies all die around the same time. So if one pipi bird drops a life, the odds are high you'll get multiples out of it.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sima Tuna wrote:Farming in mega man is kinda lame. I'll do it once in a while if I'm down to low hp and need a fast refill before a boss, but farming lives is pretty lame.
100% agreed.
MM5 is blander than I remember. The lack of any good boss weapons hurts that game and the autoscroller in the middle of Wave Man's level isn't very good or replayable.
Yeah, MM5 has the worst boss weapons of the NES games. The "best" weapon is Gyro Blade, which is only good by virtue of is being decent in a weapon set that's frankly bad. It's an attack you can angle up and down but it's still worse than Elec Beam, Metal Blade, Shadow Blade, Pharaoh Shot, and Knight Crush which all work better as aimable or vertical hitting weapons.

Wave Cannon and Charge Kick are both exceptionally weak for how limited they are (and the fact you can't shoot normally with Charge Kick really hurts). Star Crash is decent as a barrier, but pricy to use, Gravity Man's weapon doesn't have the oomph Rain Flush had, Napalm Man's weapon is worse than Bubble Lead, Search Snake, and Wind Storm. Crystal Eye is awkward to aim (though better than Gemini Beam). Power Stone deals a measly 1 damage to non boss enemies, making it useless except for hitting flying enemies that die in one hit (the large number of projectiles makes it good there).

The music in MM5 is exceptional though, with some of the best castle stage tunes, so it's worth experiencing for that.
I really like MM6. The Rush Adapters are cool as heck. I wish they were kept for subsequent games.
Yeah, they were a great idea. They show up again in one of the SNES games. MM6 actually has some very effective weapons too, with Flame Blast dealing insane damage, Silver Tomahawk, Yamato Spear, Knight Crush, and Wind Storm all being solidly dependable. Its weapons sometimes get said to be iffy, but really that's only because they're in a game with a chargeable buster that also has Rush Power and Rush Jet, causing them to be overshadowed by those.
I assume the game still has that little glitch/feature where drops get multiplied if enemies all die around the same time.
It does. If RNG decides to give you a specific drop and you kill a bunch of enemies on the same frame (or close to the same frame) there's a good chance all the powerups will be the same.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I don't want to dominate the thread with Mega Men, so I found an old thread for it instead:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 1#p1524561

Reply to follow there.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R 1CC - Arcade Maniac - Potemkin
https://youtu.be/6WpqWzD7Z9w

Otherwise known by the snappier title of ACPR. Decided to put my GG skills to use and did this 1cc on the hardest difficulty in fairly quick fashion. Final boss I-No is known to be quite cheap, with input reading galore and some highly damaging attacks that even do crazy chip damage. But when you know where to go and what to do, it's not too bad.

I'd played quite a lot of GG though (almost 10 years experience), so I have no idea of the difficulty for a person unfamiliar with the game.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

On my vacation I've done a bit more Castlevania after the 1cc of the Castlevania Adventure for the gb.

At first there was Castlevania 1 for the NES. I've seen a 1LC from mycophobia and was motivated to do alike. Loosing a life can ruin your run quickly if you have to beat the frankenstein monster without the holy water and there are other checkpoints which can be tough. Its a very short game so its great to learn but some random enemy movements can ruin your run too, so there is a bit risk management as well.

https://youtu.be/0s3LduqvSHk

Super Castlevania IV for the SFC. A very long game with lots of mode-7 and 16-bit playing arounds.... an loooots of slashing to many too spongy enemies hanging around in unstrategic places. Ths game could be a great Super version of Castlevania 1 if you could cut off all this stuff just wasting your time and making the game far too long. This together with random stuff prevented me from trying an 1LC. But instead I played way to late way to long and got an 2nd loop clear. The second loop was totally blind. Thats why I died so often in the last stages tower section, nearly loosing the 2nd loop clear.
Slashing not just straight forward is shit for Konamy leveldesigners.

https://youtu.be/VI244OxEuX8

Castlevania II Belmonts Revenge. Sadly a bit too easy without any higher difficulty possibility. But besides that, This game nearly does everything just great. Leveldesign, graphics, soundtrack (but not as good as adventure but more variety), even boss fights, fairness, dama. Only the Dracula fight sucks without internet or savestates, but yeah, I had both :D
1LC as well

https://youtu.be/SGn5Zyz6Kss
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I got the Shadow Dancer (MD) 1CC. I beat the game a year or so back, but had to continue on the final stage and didn't feel motivated to come back for the single credit run until now. The game's memorization-friendly enough that only the last level presents a serious challenge once you get things down, since you need to master the ninjas' patterns in order to be able to herd them to stay alive, and there's RNG involved.

I've said it before but I really like this game, I think more than Revenge. It's a pretty tightly designed game that's deeper than it looks and is just fun to pick up & play and rewards mastery in multiple ways. I'm sure this would have become a personal favourite had I owned it back in the day, I'll definitely be returning for higher difficulties down the road. But first, I have more Shinobis in the pile.
Angry Hina wrote:
Castlevania II Belmonts Revenge. Sadly a bit too easy without any higher difficulty possibility. But besides that, This game nearly does everything just great. Leveldesign, graphics, soundtrack (but not as good as adventure but more variety), even boss fights, fairness, dama. Only the Dracula fight sucks without internet or savestates, but yeah, I had both :D
1LC as well

This was my Castlevania as a kid. I agree it's a borderline masterpiece that still totally holds up, definitely one of the best of the classicvanias. I totally agree another loop or higher difficulties would've been very welcome though. The last boss isn't bad once you figure out how his shots work, I think you can just switch between a couple of different safe spots depending on the pattern. I originally figured it out on Gameboy just by pausing the game to see where the safe spots were for each spread, no save cheese required.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Well done back then ^^ I think I wouldnt have done that... or would I? Who knows, but he has 8 platforms to choose from. I guess you had to use some lifes to do the paperwork for this fight. I think a fight which require such an approach isnt in line with the whole rest of the game (and is simply not my taste ;) ).
Kino

Post by Kino »

Hammerin' Harry/Daiku no Gen-San (Both Loops Cleared)

Not sure what possessed me to see this through to the bitter end. There's a lot working against it: Kimura's forgettable soundtrack, the often choppy animation, buggy hitboxes, the rest of the stage randomly deciding to despawn.... definitely a B-team effort from Irem. The setting is charming enough, and the chonky sprites are kinda impressive for 1990, just to be glass-half-full about it. Also the game gives you more than enough tools to compensate for it's "questionable" programming. No harm, no foul. :P

If nothing else, it inspires me to give the SNES sequel another look. That one appeared to be a more competent platformer, least at a cursory glance.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

Angry Hina wrote: Castlevania II Belmonts Revenge. Sadly a bit too easy without any higher difficulty possibility. But besides that, This game nearly does everything just great. Leveldesign, graphics, soundtrack (but not as good as adventure but more variety), even boss fights, fairness, dama. Only the Dracula fight sucks without internet or savestates, but yeah, I had both :D
1LC as well

Nice work on all three clears! This is one CV clear I need to sit down and go for myself. The Soleiyu and especially Dracula fights being harsh memorizers has put me off it a bit (as has how rough Soleiyu is if you die and have to settle for a lesser subweapon on him), but the game is rock-solid and not too tough otherwise. I think it probably has one of the best soundtracks in the series too.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

You get the water before fighting Soleiyu even if you die, right? Its a bit easier with Axe or Cross but the water works just fine (I've done the fight with water because its looks more interesting ^^).
And the memorization isnt too hard. You just have to know, that he walks from right to the left and back and changes wether he will use the little platform at first or after reaching the end of the screen. Except that you have a possibilities for freestyling.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

https://youtu.be/_tiRmrRsBks

After a month's practice, I finally conquered Hamster's ACA NeoGeo port of Metal Slug X on PS4. Had the game pretty much routed after 2 weeks, but kept dying to silly mistakes - usually from trying to go to fast. Made some adjustments here and there. I've had much cleaner runs that ended in failure, but I'll take this.

I really enjoyed the game and it's perhaps becoming my favorite series ever. Crazy detail in the sprites with superb music and humour. There was some slow-down which would eat my inputs at times (I suspect related to the in-game autofire), and it ended several runs. I can imagine MAME being a more enjoyable way to play the game. Still, it can be worked around and was an absolute blast. Stages 3 to midway of 5 is exhilarating almost non-stop run and gunning.

Anyway, delighted. May take a stab at MS2 before moving on to 3. I expect MS3 will take a long-ass time to learn. But it's all good, I'm sure it'll be an enjoyable process :mrgreen:
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
BIL

Post by BIL »

I always thought GB Dracula II's endboss was slightly miscalculated, specifically his shots' speed and hitbox size vs Christopher's slow movement. Gets a bit too far into Simon Says (bwahaha!) territory for me. Every time I revisit, I either one-shot him with the Cross (JP ver), or have to burn a few lives recalling the response to his various positions. Christ that sounds wrong!

Also the scenery in that runup is A1, god damn.

BurlyHeart wrote:https://youtu.be/_tiRmrRsBks

After a month's practice, I finally conquered Hamster's ACA NeoGeo port of Metal Slug X on PS4. Had the game pretty much routed after 2 weeks, but kept dying to silly mistakes - usually from trying to go to fast. Made some adjustments here and there. I've had much cleaner runs that ended in failure, but I'll take this.

I really enjoyed the game and it's perhaps becoming my favorite series ever. Crazy detail in the sprites with superb music and humour. There was some slow-down which would eat my inputs at times (I suspect related to the in-game autofire), and it ended several runs. I can imagine MAME being a more enjoyable way to play the game. Still, it can be worked around and was an absolute blast. Stages 3 to midway of 5 is exhilarating almost non-stop run and gunning.

Anyway, delighted. May take a tab at MS2 before moving on to 3. I expect MS3 will take a long-ass time to learn. But it's all good, I'm enjoying the prcess :mrgreen:
Congrats! MSX is a deceptively mean 1CC, imo. That Final Mission doesn't give you a lick of armour until the absolute last minute.

For MS3, it's important to keep the route select in mind; it can make your life dramatically easier. Harder routes are generally for rescuing more POWs, or just showing off.

The infamous Final Mission is totally linear, unfortunately. An unavoidable marathon that makes MS3 the most violently marmite of the Nazca trilogy. :lol: I dig it. :cool: Mostly! The Astro Slug kinda sucks, I'd have chopped it for a bit of stormin vert platformin ala MS1 st3, or indeed MS4 st3.

Yeah, sadly, ACA-NeoGeo's autofire options are a bit of a joke. They date back to before Hamster really stepped it up with 15/20/30hz custom speeds. I wish they'd do a big batch update, considering how dead-on accurate the emulation is otherwise. Metal Slug 3 is the only MVS Slug where I really prefer having fast autofire, due entirely to the freakishly Euroshmuppy Astro Slug... its powerups and turret attachments are fine, but the former run out of ammo, and the latter get blown off with damage, so that truly shitty peashooter is never out of the question. Stages can get plinky when you're learning the ropes, but as usual with Slug, once you know the layout and where to expend grenades, you're never far from heavy weaponry with their much friendlier tapping rates vs the handgun.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

WARNING (and apologies) image way too big...
EDIT: fixed! thanks to BIL's wizardry! Much obliged kind sir.
Spoiler
Forgot to mention that I got the Mad Murder Machine trophy in TNWOA after returning the game following a few months absence. Sad to say the video didn't record, but it's a good excuse to go back and get it done faster.

Not a trophy hunter, but I do appreciate when developers put some thought into their achievements, making them challenging but fair.
BIL wrote: For MS3, it's important to keep the route select in mind; it can make your life dramatically easier. Harder routes are generally for rescuing more POWs, or just showing off.

The infamous Final Mission is totally linear, unfortunately. An unavoidable marathon that makes MS3 the most violently marmite of the Nazca trilogy. :lol: I dig it. :cool: Mostly! The Astro Slug kinda sucks, I'd have chopped it for a bit of stormin vert platformin ala MS1 st3, or indeed MS4 st3.

Yeah, sadly, ACA-NeoGeo's autofire options are a bit of a joke. They date back to before Hamster really stepped it up with 15/20/30hz custom speeds. I wish they'd do a big batch update, considering how dead-on accurate the emulation is otherwise. Metal Slug 3 is the only MVS Slug where I really prefer having fast autofire, due entirely to the freakishly Euroshmuppy Astro Slug... its powerups and turret attachments are fine, but the former run out of ammo, and the latter get blown off with damage, so that truly shitty peashooter is never out of the question. Stages can get plinky when you're learning the ropes, but as usual with Slug, once you know the layout and where to expend grenades, you're never far from heavy weaponry with their much friendlier tapping rates vs the handgun.
The wife wanted to watch me play ACA NEOGEO's Metal Slug 3, so I lugged the PS4 Pro into the living room and connected all up for a premiere of sorts, complete with snacks at the ready.

Did a credit feed to try experience much as possible. We were totally stunned at the game. I'm not normally one for hyperbole, but it was absolutely amazing. Crazy ass ride. The art, music, set pieces - heck even the twists and turns in the story. We were cheering and shouting in disbelief at various sections. Really glad I avoided spoilers and watching others play the game for all this time. Controls so well too. Not a hint of slowdown or input eating anywhere - much better than MSX in that regard (and probably everything else).

Looking forward to sinking my teeth into this one, though I know it'll take a long, long time. I imagine I'll fail, drop it, and come back again and again, but that's okay. No hurry. It'll come when it comes. Have plenty of other things to keep me busy. Gonna make a start on Burly's Revenge Tour (games that mauled me as a kid), beginning with Hamster's port of Green Beret / Rush'N Attack.
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
BIL

Post by BIL »

BurlyHeart wrote:WARNING (and apologies) image way too big...
With Imgur links, putting s/m/l/h on the end of the filename will get you a small/med/large/huge thumbnail, like so:

Spoiler

Not always ideal, but it's good in a pinch. :smile: That frame of Banglar flying ass-over-head always kills me :lol: An eminently well-timed reward for a deceptively tricky finale.
Not a trophy hunter, but I do appreciate when developers put some thought into their achievements, making them challenging but fair.
I always dig it when you can tell the authors know the material, too - that's a cracking nod to the first game's legendary OST. :cool: What's worse than an immortal murder machine? Image A mad murder machine! Image
Did a credit feed to try experience much as possible. We were totally stunned at the game. I'm not normally one for hyperbole, but it was absolutely amazing. Crazy ass ride. The art, music, set pieces - heck even the twists and turns in the story. We were cheering and shouting in disbelief at various sections. Really glad I avoided spoilers and watching others play the game for all this time. Controls so well too. Not a hint of slowdown or input eating anywhere - much better than MSX in that regard (and probably everything else).
Oh man :shock: I'm really glad I didn't give away any more detail than I did about the Final Mission, that is indeed a spectacle! I get why many find it intolerable, but I can't help embracing the towering overkill. A sense of facing down the end with utter defiance, from a legendary series, developer, and publisher alike. I hope AKIO, Meeher, HIYA! and co can nail their return to run/gun action with Black Finger Jet, MS3's sendoff enduring as the final statement from younger, crazier days.
Looking forward to sinking my teeth into this one, though I know it'll take a long, long time. I imagine I'll fail, drop it, and come back again and again, but that's okay. No hurry. It'll come when it comes. Have plenty of other things to keep me busy. Gonna make a start on Burly's Revenge Tour (games that mauled me as a kid), beginning with Hamster's port of Green Beret / Rush'N Attack.
Was just recording GB's demo play the other day, for the Attract Mode thread... exactly like Nazca's Slugs, it's one where the devs are truly demonstrating their game to passers-by. First demo does quite well, showing why mortars aren't to be fled, but adroitly rushed down, only to run afoul of a lurking landmine - all too easily-missed in the pincering fray. Second demo is a goddamn ninja, striking down all in his path with lethal economy, until after a long killstreak, he too makes a simple but fiendishly easy error, ducking a flying bullet and getting himself pinned while a runner takes him out - good confirmation that enemies kill on contact, and can hit you even while you're prone.

Technical reels befitting a tactical affair, and clear antecedent in the Dracula school of melee-driven combat platforming. Technically doesn't have pits, but nailing roof-to-roof leaps often takes on similar intensity, and those minefields are deceptively 1:1 substitutes!
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

my non-SHMUPS games finished with 1CC in one singles session are only:

Metal Slug 1
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3
Crash Bandicoot (1,2,3)

i've forgot:
GG Shinobi 2
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Arcade Archives Double Dragon 1CC - Very Hard
https://youtu.be/PAwropIaPJY

This was the first stop on my Revenge Tour. Spent a lot of time with this as a kid, and it was one of the first games I ever played. Put tremendous strain on my relationship with a friend after we finished it together and had that infamous ending :lol:

Spent a week with this on the highest difficulty. Enemies seem to have more health and do more damage. I'll have to playthrough the Default again to properly see the differences.
Most obvious thing was that the protruding walls on the final stage did not appear. They never appeared in any of my runs. Not sure if it is related to a different difficulty setting but I'm guessing so.

I know the elbow is overpowered, but the game suffers a lot if you stop using it imo. Used it mainly in neutral and then grabbed downed enemies to finish tham.

Was so close to a No Death but it was not to be :cry:
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
bcass

Post by bcass »

Never seen that glitch with the blocks on the final stage before. Interesting.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors / The Ninja Warriors Once Again 1CC ~ Hard (sub 2500 seconds)
https://youtu.be/PUDpXLHr5z0

Man I love this game. Steam release on July 25th! Highly, highly recommended.

A sub 2500 seconds will get you the Mad Murder Machine achievement / trophy, but of course it can be done on Normal difficulty which has less enemies and less aggressive behavior.

Will keep at this. WR is sub 1800 seconds, and I think I can get below 2000 seconds. First I will give Raiden a spin.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Happy with this Street Fighter Zero 3 1CC. It happened despite my not knowing the match-ups at all, and Bison catching me with his 80% dmg Pure Psycho Mantis super in every round. Got him in the corner with Birdie's Bull Head and kept him there!

Kiken

Post by Kiken »

I've been on a Metal Slug 1 grind recently and figured I had lost enough of my sanity to try the full stage 5 milking technique. I finished this run with 2,492,110 points. Had I not lost the tank in the final battle, I would have just squeezed past 2.5 million (or not gotten shorthanded on the doll point bonus in stage 2). But after several weeks of play, I'm actually fairly happy with this result.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Kiken wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:34 amI would have just squeezed past 2.5 million (or not gotten shorthanded on the doll point bonus in stage 2).
Bravely done ;-;7 st2 randomly giving either a lucrative doll or a literal piece of shit scarred me for life, even before I saw the concept art of Marco recoiling in primal horror from the latter :shock: :lol:
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

BIL wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:45 am I always thought GB Dracula II's endboss was slightly miscalculated, specifically his shots' speed and hitbox size vs Christopher's slow movement. Gets a bit too far into Simon Says (bwahaha!) territory for me. Every time I revisit, I either one-shot him with the Cross (JP ver), or have to burn a few lives recalling the response to his various positions. Christ that sounds wrong!

Also the scenery in that runup is A1, god damn.

I used the same scene for my video thumpnail. Your little banner looks Awesome ^^
BIL

Post by BIL »

Angry Hina wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:15 amI used the same scene for my video thumpnail. Your little banner looks Awesome ^^
Thanks! I want to go back to using it sometimes, but it's distractingly nostalgic for me :mrgreen: You always do rad thumbnails :cool:
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

hey, cool, thanks for noticing and mentioning :D