Favorite Run n gun game

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?

Favorite Run n Gun game

Poll ended at Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:01 pm

Sunset Riders
7%
Charlie Ninja
7%
Contra
20%
Turrican
No votes
Rolling Thunder 3
No votes
Alien Soldier
47%
Alien Syndrome
No votes
Gunstar Heroes
20%
Mercs
No votes
Commando
No votes

Total votes: 15

o.pwuaioc

Re: Favorite Run n gun game

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Sima Tuna wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:It's all down to style with Hard Corps. :lol: HC has an immaculate aesthetic which has aged like fine wine. Oh, and the japanese version of HC gives you 3 hit points instant of being one-hit-kill.
I've been meaning to get the JP version for years now. It's on my wish list. One of the few JP Genesis games I've been seeking out.
Or you could buy the konami contra collection and play hard corps' japanese version that way. It also includes every iteration of Contra 3.

I think it's digital only though.
The latest console I own is a PS2, so those are out for me. I suppose I could get it on PC, but for those kinds of games, I'd rather sit in front of the TV to play. Tracking down a Japanese Mega Drive cart is actually the easier option!
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Sima Tuna wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:It's all down to style with Hard Corps. :lol: HC has an immaculate aesthetic which has aged like fine wine. Oh, and the japanese version of HC gives you 3 hit points instant of being one-hit-kill.
I've been meaning to get the JP version for years now. It's on my wish list. One of the few JP Genesis games I've been seeking out.
Or you could buy the konami contra collection and play hard corps' japanese version that way. It also includes every iteration of Contra 3.

I think it's digital only though.
No, that's not correct. Limited Run put out the collection on Switch and PS4. I own the Switch version.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I always comeback replaying SHIN CONTRA every once a while. Yes the game is 80% memorization, yes you can't skip the cutscenes, yes the color and lightning choice are tad too dark (I use PCSX2 and turn on the emu's built in brightness, gone the issue) but IDK I never find myself getting bored on the game except for grinding SSS rank but I did it for real so it doesn't matter anymore.

The fact that SS and Neo still don't get re-release is really strange. Is porting/emulate PS2 on modern consoles really that hard for big companies? There was Ace Combat 5 running natively on PS4 but that's it, also only on very limited copies too.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

copy-paster wrote:I always comeback replaying SHIN CONTRA every once a while. Yes the game is 80% memorization, yes you can't skip the cutscenes, yes the color and lightning choice are tad too dark (I use PCSX2 and turn on the emu's built in brightness, gone the issue) but IDK I never find myself getting bored on the game except for grinding SSS rank but I did it for real so it doesn't matter anymore.

The fact that SS and Neo still don't get re-release is really strange. Is porting/emulate PS2 on modern consoles really that hard for big companies? There was Ace Combat 5 running natively on PS4 but that's it, also only on very limited copies too.
I thought you could skip the cutscenes...
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

xxx1993 wrote:I thought you could skip the cutscenes...
I think it's one of those cases where you can't skip the first time, but you can absolutely skip them in general.
God, I loved that game. Growing up people criticized it for memorization but honestly, how many action games aren't mostly committing something to memory.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Talky bits can be skipped, but there's stuff like the st2 battleship's transformation sequence that can't. Personally though, I never found anything in SS nearly as obnoxiously pace-killing as Hard Corps' st1 Cyclops, a cold spot smack in the middle of st1's otherwise steaming-hot deathburrito.

BITD on PS2, my console's ailing drive would sometimes hang at the pre-Lance cutscene in st5, you know, the one that starts with your characters blasting the door down? So you'd just get a static shot of said door set to Lance Lullabye for thirty seconds, before the slipping drive finally pieced things together and *womp* the door came down. Used to laugh our asses off, like a cable mishap on a live concert DVD. :lol:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

XoPachi wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:I thought you could skip the cutscenes...
I think it's one of those cases where you can't skip the first time, but you can absolutely skip them in general.
God, I loved that game. Growing up people criticized it for memorization but honestly, how many action games aren't mostly committing something to memory.
Oh, right. That game used to cause me frustrations but I too memorized it. Did a 1CC run.