DBPS01: THE FREED OF AVIDYA Saigo no Nindou

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Searchlike

Re: DBPS01: THE FREED OF AVIDYA Saigo no Nindou

Post by Searchlike »

Saigo no nindou before reading BIL's guide:
Spoiler
Saigo no nindou after reading BIL's guide:
Spoiler
I was a bit overwhelmed by the size of this thing but today's been Saigo learning day. Quite a few of these tips have been game changers. I don't have the 1CC yet, but at least I can see it in the distance whereas before it was hidden behind a bunch of intimidating Ryuichis that now I know how to manipulate and evade.

Anyway, practice time is far from over and I'm going back to the game right after this. Thank you, BIL and everyone else who helped to make this guide possible. 8)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Superb, exactly what I was aiming for. :mrgreen: Don't be menaced by Agents Ryuichi, Monkford and Ghostershire, Mister Anderkage! Kick that Avidya to the curb, marshal the unseen fabric of the roiling battlefield to your will, and dominate all within it! Image Image
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Epic thread for an epic game! Well done, BIL!

Woahhh it's beautiful
BIL

Post by BIL »

Cheers bud! Image Many thanks and EEHURRs Image for the motivation! Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

What's a good way to play it. Regular newest MAME?

I've decided I should at least have a go of any game that appears in the Good Doctor's Perfect Selection
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

Latest MAME should work great. :smile: Strictly speaking, I notice there's slightly less slowdown at the rare points where the PCB and ACA both chug (mostly the fourth boss, stage 6-2, and stage 7-1's midboss, in all instances when you're firing POW weapons with both Shadows equipped). But these parts are uncommon, and the speed difference is tiny; the OG slowdown won't compensate for a lack of skill, nor will MAME's slightly faster clip faze a competent player.

Just make sure the game's set to run at its native 55hz speed, not 60hz or higher. MAME should do this automatically, IIRC, but it bears mentioning. 60hz is quite a bit less forgiving WRT timing. It's by no means impossible - I kinda like it, tbh - but it's not ideal for learner players.

Speaking of, ta Baki season 2.

This how I be visualisin mah RYUICHI DROP (■`w´■)
Spoiler

Slipping and sliding, that ass I be riding! Image MASTER THEM TECHS BURINJU Image (god DAMN! look at the BUNNYHOP BAKUDAN I drop on 'em from outta NOWHERE in that GIF! :shock: I can hear - AND FEEL Image - it just watchin! Image)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haha okay Birru and Co.

I thought you might like to see burinju's first EVAR time trying the game.
here go

https://youtu.be/ZblLFuFMe6E
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

:lol: "YOU GON GET FUCC BOI"

Cheers bud, it's good to see a true blind attempt - makes me feel like I took the right approach with the guide. It could've probably been a good 50% shorter, if I'd stuck to the basics, but (as with most great action games) the quality of Saigo is in the details.

For instance, that Red Grenadier didn't fire on you due to his Toaplan-style pointblank guard, referenced in Enemies.

Thanks Toaplan!
Spoiler

Their projectiles are worth mentioning, too - they're instakill on impact, but if you slash them, you'll have a split-second to pass through the *pop* before the detonation proper blows your jaffers clean off.

Nice! :cool:
Spoiler

Just don't screw up and eat the grenade, ok? :shock:
Spoiler

^^^ from the attract demo, lmao
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

@The Insane Naked Hunter aka BIL, here's a Japanese strategy guide I stumbled on. It seems pretty in depth so maybe there are some tid bits not covered in your in depth guide? There's some talk about the rank system, detailed list of differences found in the PC Engine version etc.

http://shouga.nukenin.jp/nindou.html

I have a strong feeling this guide will be extremely useful, not useful at all, or somewhere in between.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ta bud! Always interested in Japanese resources on these iconic games - often I'll find new-to-me stuff that's considered ancient game centre lore over there. Will have a look and report back.

~MANY YEARS LATER~ :oops: Image

Thanks again Rastan - finally sat down and gave that guide a proper front-to-back. Absolutely sterling work, pro-standard... I felt the unmistakable HARD GAYMING KINSHIP Image Image with the author, and a renewed passion for Saigo itself, even relying on google translate.

If mine ever gets baleetenated, just look up this guy's instead. Image The standard I'll aim for in DBPS02, for sure.
ben.shinobi

Post by ben.shinobi »

Congratulations for your incredible work !!
This is very impressive. Do you have any project to describle scoring pattern ?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hey ben, honoured to hear from you! Unfortunately no, I've never played Saigo for score; the first videos that come to my mind are actually yours, from many years ago. (I referenced one of them briefly here, in the Stage 6 section :smile:)
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

This is an amazing guide. So many tricks and tactics that I never knew about. Excellent job, BIL.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Many thanks Van Image Coincidentally, Cadash got a PS4+NSW release this week via Arcade Archives, and while I've always treasured your guides and replays, only now can I truly appreciate how comprehensive you were (promptly saved your four 1CCs to my archive :mrgreen:). I was happy to see of the two revisions included, one is Japan with its tighter resource management, and the other is World with its extra-charming Engrish (and genuinely useful training wheels; as you said, a well-designed easy rev). Was playing it with company, can confirm "How well you came!" is a crowd-pleaser. :lol: Led to an interesting discussion on the etymology of "welcome / well met" etc :cool: