Which version/rom of SFII The World Warrior was it ?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
guigui

Which version/rom of SFII The World Warrior was it ?

Post by guigui »

Hello all,

Fighting game specific question, but I know this community is the sh*t, so some of you pals ought to know.

Back in the 90's I was playing an SFII The World Warrior cab near home. This precise cab had the particularity that during the first bonus stage with the car, the standing high kick of Ryu or Ken hit the car twice during the whole bonus stage, even when the upper part of the car was destroyed.
Of course this meant the bonus stage was cleared very quickly.

On all other cabs I tried then, and on all roms of the game I try nowadays, the standing high kick does not hit the car at all when the upper part is gone. So I guess this is the normal behavior of the game. But is it possible to find a rom with standing high kick destroying the car in no time ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Rastan78

Re: Which version/rom of SFII The World Warrior was it ?

Post by Rastan78 »

Are you totally sure it wasn't a Champion Edition or Turbo cabinet? Standing heavy kick should hit twice on those.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Yeah, I know it definitely does on the upgraded versions, nut I've never played a version of the original where that happened - even on those wacky bootlegs.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

I remember the shoto axe kick demolishing the car in Capcom's MD port of Champion Edition+Turbo, too.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Hum, Champion Edition is the one where you can select Balrog/Vega/Sagat/Bison as players ? If yes, then it was definitely not. I clearly remember the title screen saying The World Warrior, only eight characters, no fancy colors when selecting characters with many buttons, no turbo.
Also worth mentionning that this was in France, so maybe an obscure Euro version ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Here's MAME's list of SFII ROMs, not sure how complete it is, but there's quite a few:

Maybe it was some screwy CE boot that disabled the playable bosses / mirror matches / alt colours? :lol:
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Honestly, I'd just try the earliest few. It looks like the USA 910206 would be the earliest set in MAME [they're date codes in YYMMDD format], but it could be the World 910214 build.
The default revision is a particularly late one from three months later.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Thanks for the advice null1024, I'll try that.

Will also try latest version too, because I used to play in 1994-1995, and the kick hitting twice is a standard in Champion Edition, so maybe it started appearing in late World Warrior revisions.