SP Review: Zippy the Circle Level 1 & 2 (PS4|5 - XB1 - X|S)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sturmvogel Prime

SP Review: Zippy the Circle Level 1 & 2 (PS4|5 - XB1 - X|S)

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Playing trash games is a burden, a big, heavy one. Its just like carrying a 900 pound cross. Yeah, thrice as heavier than the one Jesus carried.
Breakthrough Gaming keeps their armageddonic releases of "Trash games in Christian disguise". This time is Zippy the Circle Level 1 and 2.

Slide over the boosters. Its like F-Zero X, if F-Zero X was trash.

Instead of continuing what they've left off, they've decided to pull a new project. ¿Was Project: Summer Ice - Bowling cancelled or what?
This game starts like a snowboarding race-like game where the objective is to reach the goal in the fastest time possible, but there's one problem: Zippy is way too slow and the only way to get speed is by passing through Booster Arrows on the ground like in the F-Zero games, and you'll be stepping on them very often since the boost only increases Zippy's speed for a few seconds and he'll return to its turtle pace. The objective here is to reach the goal before the 2500 mark to obtain a medal.

Finders Keepers "Moronic Edition".

Second game is a simple Item Hunt game where you have to find parts of Zippy's luggage scattered across the place. This one is quite interesting due to the 3D layout of the stage, which is something new for this Christian game developer proving they can pull an effort. To obtain the medal you'll have to find all the luggage parts.

Who knows, who cares.

Yeah, that's all, like Our Church and Halloween, this game is splitted in parts, but this time is gonna be not 4 or 5, but 13 levels. Oh, God have mercy on me.
Continuing with the review, the game as the rest of Breakthrough Gaming's catalogue, it only works as a Trophy Milker, a sorry excuse to get a 11 Gold Trophies and 1 Platinum for 99 cents, 99 cents that could be used on something more productive than buying-and-playing trash disguised as a game. The game was also released on the XBOX One, but I'm not gonna bother with that one since the only Breakthrough Gaming game I've bought for the XBOX lacked of achievements, this will be another worthless crap shoot.

God, I will follow You because You died for me.
Gave to me Your life to set me free.
Anyone who asks shall receive Jesus in your heart.
It's time for you to start giving God all the glory, yeah.

Unlike the previous time where Bible passages were mentioned, they've decided to add a reference to Jesus and how the Traveller's story about the Son of God changed the Witches way to think and turned their faith towards the Lord and end up getting him married with one of the ex-witches and having a son. Simple but effective.

Welcome to Doritos Island. The tallest mountain is called Mount Cool Ranch.

For their first attempt on 3D graphics, they might look simple and like a prototype or demo of an early Nintendo 64 game. For Breakthrough Gaming standards this is a large step since they've more pleasing to the eyes compared with all of their previous works. While the houses and the snow have enough details and effects to make them look 3D-like, the trees need some extra work 'cos they almost look 2D like, almost like an experiment with the SNES Super FX chip from the 90's.

If Zippy the Circle is anime styled, then I'm Doctor Mindbender.

They've gotta be kidding me. Where on Earth that can be called "Anime styled"? They look like something in-between Newgrounds flash games and the rejects of a cancelled Cartoon Network show, so that's an extremely outrageous and exaggerated claiming. Calling this game "Anime Styled" is the worst massacre of the word "Anime" in recorded history which will be since...eh...let'see...uhmmmm...September 26, exactly when this game was released and Breakthrough Gaming made this claim on their website.

This time there's a little more to talk about the music in this game. The stage opening cutscene has some Nintendo-like trumpeting that sounds like if we were hearing something out of Super Mario 64, until the rest of the instruments hit, making it more like a low budget sports game, but this time there is more rhythm and beat compared with Breakthrough Gaming's Skateboarding or the Project: Summer Ice - Bowling games, the pseudo rocking beat that is a predominant theme in Level 1 and somewhat fitting on it's sport-competitive nature, while Level 2 is more of a mix of tribal-like drum and clapping with a Christmas style jingle bell chiming, fitting with the snowy background of the stage. Unlike ZJ the Ball, there's no voice samples.

ZIPPY'S CURIOSITIES
- First 3D game from Breakthrough Gaming.
- With a total of 13 levels, this is the largest of all their games.

For now the whole thing is accomplished, Nina.
I feel like if I'm carrying a less heavier cross right now.

Although is still videogame trash and a disgrace for PlayStation 4 and XBOX, Zippy the Circle Level 1 and 2 is (by now) a nice try, and a little success for their first 3D game, which looks like a long-lost, unreleased tech demo for the Nintendo 64 despite being another "Splitted in parts" game like the yet-incomplete Bowling series. Is a great step forward compared with ZJ the Ball, the whole Breakthrough Gaming Arcade, Our Church and Halloween and Bowling series altogether.
But the best way to describe this game is with the Rank B quote of Alex Heatburn from Ginga Force: "Ummmm...Imaichi Dattara" which means "Uuuugh, that wasn't good enough".

11 more levels to go, wait for their Sunday release is a [EXPLETIVE] calvary...

Still, Lea is unhappy with this game.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki