SP Review: Baseball Bout Otterrific Arcade (PS4)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sturmvogel Prime

SP Review: Baseball Bout Otterrific Arcade (PS4)

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

The Low-Budget Hell continues.

Otterrific Arcade is back at it, this time is with Baseball Bout.

When we read "Baseball" on any videogame, we've expect something close to the real Major League Baseball games that America know and love to watch each season. Well, there's nothing about the sport in Baseball Bout.
The objective of this game is to bounce as you gobble those small blue creatures called Meeples. However, since you're a ball your movement will be limited to neverending hopping, but you can dive to eat any Meeple that gets in your way. You'll be later able to catch mid-air Meeples and increase the speed of the game. There is no ending once you've reach the game's maximum speed, the game goes on and on until you miss three Meeples, and that's all about Baseball Bout's gameplay.

I am in the eye in the sky
Looking at yoooouuuu, I can read your mind.

Graphically, there's nothing to talk about, just the use of a circular gradient background for the sky and dark green for the grass with some scattered flowers across the surface to give the impression of movement. As the game progresses and increases its speed, the colors will fade and the sky will turn from green to red to dark with what it looks like Sauron's omnious eye looking at you. The music is a crappy chiptune that goes on and on and it slows down its pace as the game gets dark. The song is what I call "Kraftwerk Gone Wrong" as if the band played their instruments erratically as if they're "Composing Under the Influence".

Just when I've thought that Breakthrough Gaming's Baseball was the lone blasphemy towards the most popular sport of the United States, Otterrific Arcade suddenly comes up and throws another insult towards Baseball and what it represents with this "game" which has nothing to do with Baseball, and I put the word "game" in quotes because it barely looks like one. Even the infamous R.B.I. Baseball 2016 looks like the pinnacle of Baseball games compared with both Baseball Bout and Breakthrough Gaming's Baseball, something like that is one hell of an accomplishment.

Looks like Lea also suffers with this calvary.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki