New Cave game released for iOS!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Buffi

New Cave game released for iOS!!

Post by Buffi »

Jonpachi

Re: New Cave game released for iOS!!

Post by Jonpachi »

TAP TO SCREEN

I kinda can't believe this is on the US appstore. It looks like something rejected by Roblox. So sad to see the CAVE logo appear and then be taken into this mess. :/
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Mero

Post by Mero »

Off topic.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

This reminds me of some random game I downloaded made by one guy back in the 90's. Uh, it was about racing mutant chickens. (I have a weakness when it comes to chickens, ok???)

Anyway, by the standards of being made by one to three people in their spare time, eh, yeah this is pretty bad. By the standards of gacha games, it's trash with poo sticking to parts of it.

4 year olds tend not to be adept at handling credit cards nor with sticking with franchises meant for 4 year olds more than a year or two.

Set the game in a high school with mostly low level furries, have them play sports like Soccer and Baseball, maybe toss in a Persona style social link system, and you'd have a real gacha game cookin'. It's not hard, we have proven templates for this stuff.

... well, the design isn't hard. Actually making the things is pretty hard, though.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

cave bros, we got too cocky...
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Can I get some expensive Animal Gacha Race cardboard now please.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Got on to post about this but I should have known there would already be a thread. Also LOL
DMC

Post by DMC »

No counter, no loop, no chain.

I'm in!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

BryanM wrote:4 year olds tend not to be adept at handling credit cards
They sure can watch ads though!
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

trap15 wrote:
BryanM wrote:4 year olds tend not to be adept at handling credit cards
They sure can watch ads though!
Shit I forgot all about that. And it's literally the monetization scheme of choice of destitute indie plebs who can't hire support staff or run a game server. Which I guess is Cave's status now.

As much as it'd seem too sleazy for a professional game company to use, I recall Epic Seven implemented them recently for stamina refreshes. And that thing's like in the top 3 Fate Grand Order clones in the entire market.

Grimdark days ahead, in this worst of all apocalypses.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

BryanM wrote: Shit I forgot all about that. And it's literally the monetization scheme of choice of destitute indie plebs who can't hire support staff or run a game server. Which I guess is Cave's status now.
Yeah, there's no IAP in this. Just a FUCKTON of real long unskippable ads. Definitely feels predatory.
BryanM wrote: As much as it'd seem too sleazy for a professional game company to use, I recall Epic Seven implemented them recently for stamina refreshes. And that thing's like in the top 3 Fate Grand Order clones in the entire market.
Grimdark days ahead, in this worst of all apocalypses.
It's basically implemented as awful as it could possibly be in this case though. Long unskippable ads for total garbage between runs, aiming to get the players to install other games that seem real sketchy.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Any o'them Hero Wars ads?

I managed to survive Youtube for decades without an ad block... The nonstop relentless barrage of HERO WARS broke me, however.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

It blows my mind that people don't have 4 different adblockers running on their browsers. My boss is not much older than me and it drives me nuts that she doesn't care enough to have it on her computer. HOW CAN SOMEONE LIVE THAT WAY?!?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I've used NoScript to whitelist sites and avoid the computer AIDs. With Youtube, I was just being a respectable consumer and allowing our future capitalist overlord, Google, their share of moolah in exchange for the valuable bandwidth they're providing. You know me, all about law and order. (Also allowing ads to run, while I ignore them, on some pinko's propaganda video felt important to bringing a small farce's worth of balance to the world.)

HeroWars though. Six+ months. Every ad was HeroWars. Mere words cannot describe the suffering and horror. It very much became a cruel personal game, and if I gave up, I'd lose. Which I did.

I tried to be an obedient little cattle like they wanted me to be. But they pushed until it was impossible.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Sounds too complex for me.
● How to play ●
① Roll a gacha
② Participate in the race

● Rules ●
If you finish faster than anyone else, you win
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BryanM wrote:Anyway, by the standards of being made by one to three people in their spare time, eh, yeah this is pretty bad. By the standards of gacha games, it's trash with poo sticking to parts of it.
This implies gacha games have higher standards than games made by one to three hobbyists, which is absolutely untrue. Doukutsu Monogatari, for example, is singlehandedly more valuable than every gacha game combined.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Vanguard wrote:This implies gacha games have higher standards than games made by one to three hobbyists, which is absolutely untrue. Doukutsu Monogatari, for example, is singlehandedly more valuable than every gacha game combined.
It's obviously not by any objective measure, but Vanguard dollars are a subjective mistress. I'm sure you've played all of them though, used your noodle to defend every grimdark tower with your catgirl siegemasters, climbed every mountain, watched every sunset, and whispered to yourself "this beautiful sunset...... is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit."
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

I don't need to play the entire pay to win skinner box timesink genre to know that they're all garbage. The changes you'd need to make to a gacha game to make it good would inevitably result in something that is no longer a gacha game.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

That's very thoughtful. "If it's bad, it's the devil. If it's good, it's god."

Anyway, back in the real world Cave's first gacha game was Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine. Animal Game's competition in the market has risen to practically AAA levels, China in particular is willing to invest in games with development costs in the hundreds of $millions. Which everyone well knows by now.

What holes there were in the videogame market are closing faster than ever. One hallmark: These days every schmuck with Blender (which is everyone, since it's free) is throwing together their own little playstation 1-inspired horror game. It's a nightmarish hellhole of death, nearly impossible to find success even for those who bother to make an effort. This seriously isn't 2004, where you could release a little hop n' shoot with 6 hours of play time and expect anyone to care.

Still, stings a little to see Cave become the lowliest of bottom feeders these days. Used to be excited about their annual releases, you know?