Worth buying a jap ps2 for Sega Rally Championship (1995)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
andykara2003

Worth buying a jap ps2 for Sega Rally Championship (1995)

Post by andykara2003 »

I really love the original Sega Rally championship from 1995. There’s an almost perfect console port on the Japanese ps2 - it’s very well known & respected. You get it as a bonus disc with the mediocre Sega Rally 2006 & it’s Japanese only.

I’m thinking of buying a cheap £50 Jap ps2 slim and the game. Has anyone else played it? I’m trying to discern whether it’s worth the effort. Also I’m asking as the game is fairly bare bones & is just the arcade game without any extra modes.
Ghegs

Re: Worth buying a jap ps2 for Sega Rally Championship (1995

Post by Ghegs »

It's a great port of the arcade game. No additional modes, but lots of settings, especially graphic-related ones, to tweak.

Sega Rally 2006 isn't bad either, I think it gets an undeservedly bad rep. Its career mode is rather impenetrable if you don't know Japanese, but it has an arcade mode with tons of tracks, there's even a set of re-created courses from the 1995 game. It's quite difficult, too. Some years ago I sat down to play through the re-created courses and it took me almost three hours just to finish it successfully. Video of that here.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Why not get a (assuming USA) phat PS2 and a $25 hard drive (and a $12 network adapter needed to plug the HDD into) with Free McBoot (or whatever they're using now) and play ALL the PS2 games from any region?

PS2 STILL has he largest library of games out of any system I think, and tons of gems on it.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

I get your point totally & was considering that but I already have a ps2 slim. Jap PS2s are so cheap I might as well just spend the £50 and I can run the game without software of hardware mods.

I wonder if anyone’s played both the Jap ps2 and the Saturn version and could give a comparison between the two.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I liked the Sega Rally (1995) on PS2, it played very close to the arcade. Haven't played for 12 years though.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

andykara2003 wrote:I get your point totally & was considering that but I already have a ps2 slim. Jap PS2s are so cheap I might as well just spend the £50 and I can run the game without software of hardware mods.

I wonder if anyone’s played both the Jap ps2 and the Saturn version and could give a comparison between the two.
Gameplay wise the Saturn version captures the arcade version very closely, the "plus" version with analog stick control is probably the Saturn port to have.

Graphically, while the Saturn port was very good for the time, it's not going to compare to the PS2 port because of the hardware differences.

If you want a port of the game that is as close to the arcade as possible (in all ways) you'll need to forget the Saturn port.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Perfect, thanks :) Apparently some people find the PS2 port a bit twitchy, but others think it’s the best controls possible. I’ll just have to pick it up & see :-)