Mame low latency flag on a G-sync monitor: fire and forget?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
cave hermit

Mame low latency flag on a G-sync monitor: fire and forget?

Post by cave hermit »

I've been messing around with groovymame and groovyarcade on an optiplex I bought off of ebay awhile back, and I went so far as to flash a 15khz bios mod for an ATI graphics card in preparation to hook up to my PVM (I've been using a 31khz PC CRT prior to that).

After tating my PVM twice to play Dodonpachi on my MiSTer, I decided I would stop doing so given how rare and finicky these old PVMs are, and as for playing Groovymame on my PC CRT, honestly if I'm just doing it for the CRT experience, there's not much point if I'm going to just compromise by using a 31khz monitor with artificial scanlines.

I'm planning to get a spare pivoting lcd monitor for switch/ps4 shmups, and I noticed the monitor had freesync, so I was considering dropping another $125 for a RX 550 on eBay so I could use groovymame and freesync with the optiplex, when I realized something painfully obvious:

I have a PC with a RTX 3080 (a Nvidia card) connected to a high end native G-sync monitor. Also said monitor pivots (although I can't actually pivot it at the moment due to my desk having this stupid mini shelf in the way, but hey future consideration). Thus I could just use plain old mame with the recently added low latency flag.

So I downloaded the latest version of MAME, turned on low latency, disabled bilinear filtering, enabled integer scaling, and booted up Dodonpachi. And I don't know if low latency was working correctly, but I didn't notice any input lag in Dodonpachi compared to my MiSTer hooked up to a tate PVM, and I made it to stage 5 on my first credit.

Most of this post was just kind of rambling, but the reason I made this thread was to ask,

Is there anything else I actually need to do besides simply enabling the low latency flag in order to get the full benefit? Obviously I have G-sync enabled, but I also have driver level V-sync enabled as well, and I'm not sure if that has any effect.