SP Review: Our Church and Halloween Story Two (PS4-PS5)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sturmvogel Prime

SP Review: Our Church and Halloween Story Two (PS4-PS5)

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Alright, time to continue where we left off.
I mean, time to check Our Church and Halloween: Story Two.

When a girls tells you "Get the [EXPLETIVE] off" is get the [EXPLETIVE] off.

One of the first things that I've noticed is that the game has a Password option, although you're not gonna need one since like Story One, there's not too much to do in this game.

At first you'll find yourself in a cave that loops in 4 rooms with no apparent exit. There's only a girl, your friend Erin (not to be confused with "EIRIN") who tells you to leave her alone. At this point you'll think this is a bad, bad demo or you're permastuck and you'll end up uninstalling the game because of this without getting a trophy.
Well, here's what to do: When Erin says "I'm not talking to you", keep talking with her until she follows your character and return to the room you first appeared.

Clue to find the hole: The "no dotted" space in the middle.

Once you get back, you'll notice there's a large square that lacks of the "dots" that create a dirt texture in the ground, that's your way out of the closed cavern. However, before you find the exit, Erin will ask you to find the others, so you go up and...

They're still "Ghostbusted".

There's nothing you can do for them, so it's time to get out of there, and find a new friend before you leave the dreaded cave.

I can draw a better home than this.

After leaving the cave and walking through the woods, you'll find this World War II bunker-like thing that's actually the girl's house, this is where she will get sick, so it's up to you and Erin to find a flower to make the medicine she needs. So, it's time to go back to the cave where you'll face a ghost and this time you will fight it.

If there's something strange, in your neighborhood, who you gonna call?
HE-MAN!! He-Man! He-Man! He-Man! He-Man! He-Man!

The game finally implements a battle system where you can fight the ghosts, although it's very, very simple and there's no way to lose the battle. The only thing to do is to use the slingshot and that's all, the ghost will die in one shot and the battle will end. Also, there's no experience gaining, level up or items obtained. Just a simple congratulatory message and that's pretty much it. Since the objective of the game is to get the flower to make the medicine, you don't have to defeat all the ghosts in the cave, unless you're going for the trophy unlocked for doing it so. After that, the game is more of talk a little, get another item in the woods, walk to the upper path at the north of the house and that's all.

SEE YOU NEXT MISSION.

That's all you have to do in this game. To obtain all the trophies you'll probably have to play it two or three more times since once again, the game wants you to clear it within the "Target Time" which like in Story One, is not mentioned. While the standard trophies are obtained by talking with Erin, finding your friends and doing all the objectives in the game, there's the one that requires to take down all the ghosts within the cave and that means all the rooms exporable. Like I said before, there's no need to worry for being defeated 'cos you're gonna win ALL the encounters.

Graphically, it remains the same as Story One, as it borrows influences from Earthbound and Pokemon and utilizes the monochrome in a more closer approach to the Gameboy. What is really suprising is the ghosts themselves during the battle screen as they have this spin-rotating animation that manages to pull a three dimensional feeling despite its simplicity. It's like Breakthrough Gaming is trying to make an effort and that's admirable. Unlike Story One, there's more references to the Bible, as they talk about excerpts from Romans, making the game look more like those from Wisdom Tree. There's a little more plot elements as James purpose is revealed as he wants to resurrect his parents on Halloween. As for the sound department there's not too much to say about it since it's the same whole thing from Story One, and talking about it will be repeating myself.

After wasting 10 minutes of my life with this, I can only say that Our Church and Halloween: Story Two pulls a couple of ideas, but still needs to be worked much further if this game wants to go somewhere beyond its sole purpose of being a Trophy Milker.

Lea crying says more than a thousand expletives.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Blinge

Re: SP Review: Our Church and Halloween Story Two (PS4-PS5)

Post by Blinge »

Why the animu girl at the bottom of every post
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Blinge wrote:Why the animu girl at the bottom of every post
I use an expression of Lea from CrossCode (which I'll review soon) to qualify a game after reviewing it.
I call it the "Lea Scale".
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BIL

Post by BIL »

When a girls tells you "Get the [EXPLETIVE] off" is get the [EXPLETIVE] off.
:o https://youtu.be/dAMqMErPIIY?t=8
Clue to find the hole: The "no dotted" space in the middle.
:shock: :idea: