Online Co op game recommendations?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
DMC

Online Co op game recommendations?

Post by DMC »

I am looking for a good online co op experience on PC. Casual gaming. Any recommendations?

I and Dragoforce have played and enjoyed War in the North, Payday 1, Battlefront II, Hammerwatch 1, Serious Sam detour, Secrets of Grindea so maybe something similar to that. Castle crashers was also ok, but didn't click with me for some reason.

WitN was probably the ideal game for us. Pretty linear and straightforward, you can socialize a bit while mindlessly killing Orcs, and then you can enjoy the cheesy story together. At BFII I am too bad at playing multiplayer mode, but co op mode is quite alright.

Right now we're just playing Golf-it against each other, but I think we need to balance that competition with some cooperation. But we're having difficulty finding something interesting. Please help, system11, you're our only hope!
Vanguard

Re: Online Co op game recommendations?

Post by Vanguard »

Magicka is a good one. It's an action adventure game where you play as a wizard in a team of up to four. It's got a fun and unique spellcasting system, and friendly fire is always on.
Spelunky 2 has online co op. I haven't tried it online and I don't like the game as much as the first one, but it's worth checking out.

You alright with using netplay on an emulator? There's lots of good stuff you can play that way.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Earth Defence Force 4.1 is on sale for like 20 bucks currently and is amazing for coop.
DMC

Post by DMC »

Thanks, guys!

Magicka looks nice, I think we'll try that first. Might as well start with 2?

Will check out EDF 4.1 too, thanks!
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

DMC wrote:Thanks, guys!

Magicka looks nice, I think we'll try that first. Might as well start with 2?

Will check out EDF 4.1 too, thanks!
I liked the first Magicka, don't know anything about the second. EDF 4.1 is pretty good if you have a tolerance for loot-focused games. I think Wing Diver is good fun and Fencer isn't bad, but the other two classes are too lacking in mobility to be enjoyable.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I've loved playing through Valheim with a mate.
we're in the endgame now. but it's taken ages as its just a couple of hours on a weekend.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The very first Diablo, seriously. Alien Swarm (the original UT2004 mod), although I've no idea how easy it is to find company for a game these days (I'd be interested in it myself, but considering circumstances, it would have to be planned days ahead).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Vanguard wrote:I think Wing Diver is good fun and Fencer isn't bad, but the other two classes are too lacking in mobility to be enjoyable.
Fencer's solid since most of their best options also happen to pierce, and they're the fastest class in the game in terms of sustained movement speed. Very powerful solo, as long as you're okay with learning an unorthodox class that often has recoil and slow turning penalties on some of its best weapons.

Air Raider is actually capable of being extremely mobile with the proper loadout (helicopters let you stay in the air indefinitely and do some fun tricks, basic tanks can have very good kiting potential, bikes suck, lol) but does focus more on defending a specific area with turrets or laying down effective air strikes. They've got so many viable options on their moveset including low recharge, single shot cannon shots, and in multiplayer all kills from any player reload the Air Raider's credits, so they're amazingly fun in multiplayer both as support, or running around with a full squad of Air Raiders. Just be careful of going solo in online as an Air Raider as there's a few missions that will be very nasty. It helps to play offline or with a team to get more weapons before they start dropping normally. The first turrets you can get will last you a long time and are quite effective in Normal until Deroys appear.

Ranger is indeed the weakest in general due to poor mobility. They're meant to feel like the basic infantry/foot soldier in reference to the older games where it was literally your only choice. Though the worst class in general at high level play, and with a lot of weapons that don't scale well in online multiplayer (due to enemy health/damage boosts), they're not entirely useless and can be legitimately effective when you learn what weapons they do have that are powerful and are scaled well even for online. In particular, the Fusion Blaster series, though impossible to reload in a mission, are insanely powerful, being one of the single highest DPS weapon series in the game. The second one you get can instantly wipe/stunlock multiple bosses in Online Normal before its clip runs out and it only gets better from there. In Online, there's some missions where a particularly nasty wave of enemies appears at some point and it can be helpful to have a Ranger with double Fusion Blasters just to make short work of that wave. Your team will love you for being able to nuke a nasty boss, and an Air Raider can give you vehicles to use. They've also got effective sniping tools, with Stringer's insane accuracy and piercing property makes it a versatile and effective tool for most targets as long as you can handle the lengthy reload time. Their sniping options don't match the usefulness of the Fencer's Gallic Cannon series which pierce, deal high damage per shot, and can be used between dashes or used in a risky but insanely strong dual-wield setup. But, Rangers have pinpoint accuracy on sniping weapons whereas the Gallics have massive recoil as well as shot dropoff, making them far more cumbersome and difficult to aim. Fencers are high skill ceiling, high reward, whereas Rangers are easier to use but with a lower payoff. Rangers also tend to have some of the best rocket/grenade launcher type explosive weaponry in the game in terms of ease of use and being able to quickly sweep smaller enemies.

Rangers are definitely the worst class in the game, but with planning and proper weapon loadouts, even Rangers can do online in solo. Their lack of mobility means you really gotta pick weapons carefully, though, and in some cases that means doubling up on Stringers so you can reload both while rolling away behind cover. They're balanced fine for offline/splitscreen though. Rangers are definitely meant to evoke the feel of a basic foot soldier and their general lack of mobility or special gimmicks is a deliberate design choice as a throwback to previous games.

In my experience online, newbie Fencers who pick bad weapon loadouts that don't allow dashing are a far greater liability for the team than newbie Rangers.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Air Raider is probably fine multiplayer. Could be good fun. They feel limiting and RPGish in a bad way single player, and using one for the underground segments sounds dreadful. And yeah anyone playing Fencer will want to look into how dash cancelling works so they can go from painfully slow to the fastest class. For me good old Wing Diver is the most fun though. Lots of mobility and it's a lot more straightforward and intuitive than Fencer's mobility. I like that your jetpack and weapons both draw from the same energy source so you're always choosing between firepower and mobility. Also the way your energy recharges faster if you put it into emergency mode. Risky because you can't fly or reload until it's recharged, but potentially rewarding.