Returnal, NieR

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
SPM

Returnal, NieR

Post by SPM »

Do you like these games? They seem to have shmups elements. I was wondering if they're generally fun for shmups fans or there's no correlation at all.

Haven't played them yet
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Sumez

Re: Returnal, NieR

Post by Sumez »

Nier's "shmup" elements are very euroshmuppy. It works only because the game isn't a shmup in the first place, and the way it integrates other genres is designed around how it works in that context, and not how it would work as eg. a pure shooter.

That said, I find the OG Nier to be an incredibly enjoyable game. But you need to love it for what it is, not for something it isn't.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Returnal's game director is a huge CAVE fan, and his last two games were Nex Machina and Resogun, so it's not a huge surprise that there are bullet hell elements. He is also huge Dark Souls fan, so there is little bit of that, too.

As for how much it really resembles shmup, I can't say because I haven't played it - I haven't been able to purchase PS5 yet.
endali

Post by endali »

i played nier. it's got bullets. that's about all it has in common with a shmup. returnal looks like the same.

imho if you're magically dashing through bullets with your magic i-frame dash move, you're not really dodging bullets anymore. These attacks could be drawn as a sword instead of a cluster of bullets and it would function exactly the same.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Returnal seems real good. I would mostly compare it to Warframe or something like that though.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!