SP Review: Squad Killer (XB1 / X|S - PS4 - Switch - PC)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sturmvogel Prime

SP Review: Squad Killer (XB1 / X|S - PS4 - Switch - PC)

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

With Ginga Force out of commission thanks to Sony's update, let's move on to other types of gaming.

Time to take a dive in the trash container of gaming, in the world of Zero Budget, Non-Existant Budget, Do-It-Cheap type of gaming, and sadly, shmups are not the only ones who suffer this problem.
Today's review: Squad Killer.

Zero-to-Negative Budget Run N' Gun action!

Squad Killer's gameplay is a closed room Run N' Gun game that borrows similarities with Bubble Bobble and Elevator Action. Unlike Many Faces, your aim was nerfed from the analog lock on and now is locked to only fire either left or right. But to compensate that, you are now granted a Grenade button which (like its name says) you can use to throw a grenade and kill nearby enemies, and the ability to flip tables to use them as a shield to protect from enemy fire.
Like in Many Faces, your only way to dodge tight spots is by dashing, learning this is essential in this game, since the game will throw some downright unfair elements like screen long laser beams, constant bullet streams and the downright unfair vertical laser that passes through obstacles and floors. Hell, this game really hates you when it pulls things like this. However, you have a couple of things in your favor, the first one is the table flip which I've mentioned before and the second one is the explosive "!" boxes which can destroy a nearby enemy as if it was a grenade. Another feature shared from Many Faces is the procedurally generated stages, which improves the replay value by changing the stage layout by random, making memorization completely unreliable.

There's many problems that I have with this game and are what I call the examples of how not to do a Run N' Gun. First one is how you climb the ladders. Unlike Megaman where you had to press up to climb, in Squad Killer, it climbs automatically when you jump. The second problem is the not-so-straight bullet firing, as your shots make a constant 5° inclination either missing the target or hitting the ground. As for the Third flaw, you can only carry one grenade in your inventory, this is kinda absurd since there's times that you're gonna need more than one. Compare that with Contra III: The Alien Wars, you also started the game with one Helio Bomb, but you can rack up to a maximum of 9 as long as you don't die and don't use them. Fourth is the almost non-existant healing items. Recovering life is also a hassle since the healing crosses appears whenever the game feels like it, you can spend 2 or 3 levels without getting a healing cross and that makes the whole thing unfun.

Sucks when you don't have enough money despite killing all of your enemies.

The game introduces a store where you can buy a specific upgrade from improve your firing to increase your life bar. Here comes the fifth flaw of the game. Despite getting considerable amounts of money throughout two stages, you'll be able to buy one upgrade due to the high prices. The cheapest upgrade will cost you 200, while the averages cost you 400. The most expensive is 600, and that's the Extra life, and all of the upgrades are random, so the game can throw you upgrades that you don't need when you might be looking for an essential item like increase your fire rate or have a larger life bar.

Feels like a cruel joke made to troll players.

The final and worst flaw of the game happens when you die. Like most procedural generated games, Squad Killer pulls the "No continues if you lose your only life" rule, making the Retry or Back decision useless since both options have the same result: You'll be back at the beginning of the game. Unless you're granted the option of buying a life by the absurd price of 600 coins. ¿But guess what? the extra life is almost useless as you respawn with half of your energy, making it more like the Reserve Tanks in Super Metroid more than an extra life from any platforming game.

With 17 stages and no-chances to continue if you die, this game serves only for one purpose and one purpose alone: Being a Gamerscore/Trophy Milker. Die five times, kill 58 enemies, get 1,000 coins and buy 3 upgrades. Congratulations, you've got everything from this game.

There's two additional modes, but they're impossible to unlock since they require you to defeat all 6 random bosses and clear all the 17 levels which is mission impossible with the conditions given by this game.

The 5-year old rendition of Squilla from Space Harrier.

Graphically, this game doesn't bother to hide its lackluster visuals, being almost a monochrome white and purple scenery which can be changed to red, green or blue as if it was a crappy Commodore 64 or Tandy/VGA computer game in an ill-fated attempt of the idea of returning to the "good ol' days" of gaming. Going retro doesn't have to be NES-like, just take a look at Risk System, CrossCode and Blazing Chrome and how they homage the Neo-Geo, the PlayStation and the Genesis with the artwork and graphics. As for the characters of Squad Killer, they look like Cartoon Network rejects as if the show they're meant for was canned and they're put in this disgrace of a game.
The main "Fun" appeal of this game is the blood-splashing with each shot as if it was some sort of a parody of Splatoon, even things that don't look like human-animal bleed like the machines.

The music...Ugh, horrible. You can call it "Wrecking Crew Wrong". This audio-trainwreck that pretends to be music is simple unpleasant to the ears and really makes you wish want to drop the volume to the absolute god-damned zero.

What can I say after realizing the repulsive atrocity this game was? Squad Killer is your typical trash game from EastAsiaSoft's bad game catalog. Makes me wish I want to put a warning about the distributor, but they had good exceptions like Ghost Blade HD, Fast Striker and Habroxia 2 that keep me from calling them "Non Grata" in this forum.
Just save your money and buy Contra Anniversary Collection, any of the ACA Neogeo Metal Slug games or Blazing Chrome, just stay the hell away of Squad Killer unless you're urged for a few achievements.

*Sing "Sea of Dung" to the tune of "Sea of Love" by the Honeydrippers*

I don't remember such a bad game.
That's this game that I've bought last day.
I wanna tell ya': "This game's horrendous"

God damn it, throw this game.
To the sea, the Sea of Dung.
I wanna tell ya': "Dude, this game's horrendous"

Goooood damn it. Suuuuuch disgrace. Oooooh, Looooord.

I don't remember such a bad game.
Agh, damn this game. It ruined my day.
I wanna tell ya': "Man, this game's horrendous."

Throw this game, to the Sea ooooooof Duuuuuung.

God damn it, throw this game.
To the sea, the Sea of Dung.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BulletMagnet

Re: SP Review: Squad Killer (XB1 / X|S - PS4 - Switch - PC)

Post by BulletMagnet »

Still waiting for Manlea to make an appearance in one of these.