Favorite Run'N'Gun Game(s)?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Mortificator

Re: Favorite Run'N'Gun Game(s)?

Post by Mortificator »

Spoiler
Wouldn't have hurt Turrican to show this map in the game itself. Not for navigation, but to structure the player's sense of progression. The between-stage map of Castle Dracula exists for the same reason.

While the sequel makes some improvements, it abruptly cuts off. To quote my past self...
Mortificator wrote:I like Turrican 2, but the game felt like it needed one more area. You dredge through the alien zone, ride the platforms up, fight a big robot... and it's over. The ending shows a fortress exploding, which you never got to play through, and congratulates you on beating The Machine, who you never got to fight.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

You gotta remember at the time printed material wasn't really considered separate, but a part of the experience. :)
If the game shipped with a map, that's good enough. In fact, I really miss games being shipped with maps!

(that said, who ever played original legit copies of anything on their Amiga??)
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

I'm super psyched for METAL DRAGON (MSX):
https://youtu.be/oTK1QDCzji4
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

My two cents will go to SHIN CONTRA. Just need some arrange modes here and there (BGM/SFX control, slight brighness increase, more run and gun sections. All of them got fixed in Neo Contra haha) and you need ask no more for well-crafted run and gun.

I have to wait until I get new PC so I could try out Cuphead. Game looks fantastic to play but it missing the Aim lock feature ala SS, kindof missing opportunity there.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Metal Dragon has finally arrived!

https://youtu.be/cwxXrBo_ItE
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Holy shit. That is an impressive setup SD. Enjoy Metal Dragon!
My lord, I have come for you.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

I'm liking what I've played of Biomechanical Toy. Seems to be an underrated Run'N'Gun, not quite as good as Demon Front and Sonic though ;)
Sumez wrote:I actually considered bringing up Demon Front, it's really close to getting it right. It's got some good ideas, and at least at a glance, it looks pretty solid. Except from one major oversight.

I forgot the exact mechanics, but every stage has a secret item, as well as another item needed to pick it up. If you don't have the latter, you can just stand on top of the former, which will for some reason keep giving you massive points, and continue to tally up as long as you stand there.
It's obviously a glitch of some sort, and it's very centered on one item, so it's a little easier to say that "it's not allowed" than the boring pot shot milking of Metal Slug, but ultimately it makes it impossible to really compete in scoring in that game.
I found the first secret item, not super hidden, but in my defense, I wasn't really looking for it. Anyway, the real finding is that the rom dated 05/24/02 has that glitch you're talking about and later versions do not. I know I'm quite late with this and not sure how valuable of an information it might be, but there you go. Also, have you guys heard about climate change?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Oh, that's an interesting observation. Now I gotta check what version my own cartridge is. When we found that bug we were playing on a friend's copy of the game, so I've never tried it on my own.