Cheapest (most unfair) arcade game

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Mortificator

Re: Cheapest (most unfair) arcade game

Post by Mortificator »

apatheticTurd wrote:King of the Monsters 2 in its original form is certainly up there

-Basic attack strings are not safe. Bosses can easily break out and punish you. They can be struck while they're down but some can punish you at random from their crumpled state and Aquaslug is immune.

-Most pick-ups are covered up with a ? sign, requiring you to run into the corner of their sprite to reveal them. Many of them are negative items like bombs and despawns. It is easy to accidentally pick-up or be knocked into negative power-up items.

-Grapples are entirely random and slanted in the CPU's favour.

-The final stage is a boss rush. The stage/boss ratio was already so heavily slanted toward the later you're essentially replaying the whole game except you have less ressources.

-The "mash" bonus rounds, I am certain, are impossible without autofire.
Oh, absolutely. The SNES port was a contender for my favorite belt-scroller on the system, but when I booted-up the Neo-Geo version years later expecting a nice upgrade, I was hit with what's practically a slot machine.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

BIL wrote:While it's among my favourite games full-stop, Saigo no Nindou aka Ninja Spirit has probably the most atrociously unfair cheap shot you will ever see in a first-rate Japanese arcade title. I implore all reading this - use that guide, if you ever intend to play it. It's thirty seconds of arrant kusoge in an otherwise 11/10 sidescroller, and it's also utterly trivial compared to the roiling chaos surrounding it.
this
apatheticTurd wrote:King of the Monsters 2 in its original form is certainly up there
and this
trap15 wrote:Mostly western made garbage like Revolution X and such.
alsO this
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Second page and still no The Combattribes?

Also, I think that there is some joke regarding Kaiser Knuckle in High-Score Girl, the manga/anime.
The god-tier girl is apparently spotted 1-CC'ing the game with the franken-mummy guy (Marco?).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BIL

Post by BIL »

apatheticTurd wrote:I'm also curious if there are any 1ccs of the original Fight Fight that don't rely on the infinite combo and despawning enemies with the backward jump exploits. The game has a LOT of bullshit.
I think I've seen at least one Cody no-miss with these stipulations. I stick to Haggar so I didn't watch, but I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: ScoopArcade's No-Infinite Hardest 1LC may be the one I was recalling, but I think he uses back jumping. Still, hell of a run.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

I don't think it's possible to 1cc Rail Chase on default settings.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

AntiFritz wrote:I don't think it's possible to 1cc Rail Chase on default settings.
I heard the same thing about some of Sega's similar analog stick rail shooters like Jurassic Park. A lightgun would normally be more ideal, but the moving seat (at least for JP, though Rail Chase seems to use a similar cabinet) probably isn't ideal for a lightgun.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Anything with your health draining while you stand in one place. Thanks Gauntlet.
My lord, I have come for you.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I was messing around on the Midway Arcade Collection over the weekend, and actually, Pit-Fighter is pretty cheap. That's partly because it's so shitty and there's no real mechanics to speak of.

Super Off-Road just starts to blatantly cheat at a certain point. I've looped this game forever on C64 / NES / Amiga / SNES, but I don't think I've ever made more than one on arcade.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

On the modern side, Raw Thrills games. I swear these have to have some kind of timer, after which it just causes you to take damage.

For example, see their Batman driving game. Bullets are whizzing past you non stop but not hitting you, until around 30 seconds passes and you get hit somehow. Another 30 seconds and you'll take another hit, and so on until the game ends. And not once will you ever see what exactly hit you. Consistently every single time, no matter what you do.
Last edited by Jeneki on Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Marc wrote:I was messing around on the Midway Arcade Collection over the weekend, and actually, Pit-Fighter is pretty cheap. That's partly because it's so shitty and there's no real mechanics to speak of.

Super Off-Road just starts to blatantly cheat at a certain point. I've looped this game forever on C64 / NES / Amiga / SNES, but I don't think I've ever made more than one on arcade.
Pit Fighter on the Mega Drive is actually pretty decent.

Off Road - The earliest game I know of where you could add coins to buy shit. NITROS ALL DAY. POOFPOOFPOOFPOOFPOOFPOOFPOOFPOOFPOOF - Hits wall. POOFPOOFPOOFPOOF
My lord, I have come for you.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Stevens wrote:
Marc wrote:I was messing around on the Midway Arcade Collection over the weekend, and actually, Pit-Fighter is pretty cheap. That's partly because it's so shitty and there's no real mechanics to speak of.

Pit Fighter on the Mega Drive is actually pretty decent.

Off Road - The earliest game I know of where you could add coins to buy shit. NITROS ALL DAY. POOFPOOFPOOFPOOFPOOFPOOFPOOFPOOFPOOF - Hits wall. POOFPOOFPOOFPOOF
Really enjoyed the MD version back in the day. Far better than the coin-op.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

MK2's AI was complete bullshit. I know fighters of the era relied on hard coded AI and some level of input reading, but MK2 took it to egregious levels where by the third match the computer was pixel perfect reacting to every move. Zapped the fun from what I thought was a damn good game. Also most beat em ups from back in the day had ridonkulously cheap bosses. They would usually be able to easily break combos or would have a ton of i-frames making it damn near impossible to mount any kind of offense. I used to love beat em ups, but now I find them to be an exercise in tedium.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Jeneki wrote:On the modern side, Raw Thrills games. I swear these have to have some kind of timer, after which it just causes you to take damage.

For example, see their Batman driving game. Bullets are whizzing past you non stop but not hitting you, until around 30 seconds passes and you get hit somehow. Another 30 seconds and you'll take another hit, and so on until the game ends. And not once will you ever see what exactly hit you. Consistently every single time, no matter what you do.
While the Raw Thrills brand is a big warning sign for me, I've had pretty varied experiences with their games. I played some Terminator rail gun shooter that was absolutely a pile of shit and damage seemed unavoidable. The game is basically on a timer.

Then I played their Jurassic Park shooter and that was waaaay better. I only played a credit or two , so I can't speak to if it's actually 1CC able, but it felt like it was.
Marc

Post by Marc »

To Far Away Times wrote:
Jeneki wrote:On the modern side, Raw Thrills games. I swear these have to have some kind of timer, after which it just causes you to take damage.

While the Raw Thrills brand is a big warning sign for me, I've had pretty varied experiences with their games. I played some Terminator rail gun shooter that was absolutely a pile of shit and damage seemed unavoidable. The game is basically on a timer.

Then I played their Jurassic Park shooter and that was waaaay better. I only played a credit or two , so I can't speak to if it's actually 1CC able, but it felt like it was.
I played some racing game of theirs that was pretty neat, felt like a Hydro Thunder follow-up in all but name. But yeah, that Terminator game.... bullshit.