Forza

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
XoPachi

Forza

Post by XoPachi »

So I'm a wee baby that grew up on F-Zero and WipEout. But I recently turned my attention to actual driving games. I bought one of these (LOVELY) XBox Series X controllers and it came with GamePass. Downloaded Forza Horizon 4 and MotorSport 7.
I've been playing MotorSport 7 the last few days and this game is really damn satisfying. I played a bit of Horizon in the past and I loved that one as well. I wanted to try it because last year, I impulse bought F1 2019 and really, really enjoyed the Hell out of it surprisingly. I used to not enjoy these games because "ew candlewax driving". But I just didn't understand them and was trying to apply arcade racing fundamentals to a racing sim which is absolutely not a fair way to assess a game like this.

I find great joy with MotorSport in shutting off all of the assists to have total control of my vehicle. I'll admit, it gets the palms moist when I approach turns. Shifting gears, engaging the clutch, braking gradually, hand braking and really thinking a bit deeper about a simple medium right and it's possible undulations is an intoxicating tension. It's rewarding when I finally learn how to approach a troubling kink in a given circuit. The McClaren Senna they just threw at me is treating me well as I learn the ropes. The kid in me wants to use Twin Mill REAL bad, but it's too much kick for a beginner. 'n`

I don't have a racing wheel and...I don't think I'll ever need it. A controller's enough, I'm not that serious. I do love how the game interacts with the Series X pad though. The feedback is incredible and really does feel like a car in gamepad form as corny as that sounds. The very detailed per trigger vibrations and how smooth the analog pull of them are definitely shows they had this game in mind when engineering it. I'd say they nailed it. I feel like I'm getting the most out of it playing these games.

The general atmosphere of the game is quite nice too. This and F1's depiction of the professional automotive world gives off a great sophistication. It's got this prestige to it that I really appreciate and it just makes the world of motorsports seem amazing. I've sort of been tired of the minimal look to the UI's of game consoles and most AAAA titles today (Nintendo), but it really fits for a game like this. Though I would appreciate a simplified race setup menu akin to the arcade titles I grew up on personally. Having to make presets per track or spend like 2 minutes switching around a ton of settings just to do a practice race is a bit tiresome, but I guess it fits the game's theme of total option coverage and control.

Also can't even imagine the cost of making this game. There's HUNDREDS of licenses in here. It's impressive.
emphatic

Re: Forza

Post by emphatic »

Huge Forza fan myself.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

emphatic wrote:Huge Forza fan myself.
I might have to keep on top of it from now on. I'm thoroughly impressed. Also these games are super clean. Run great. No real hitches.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I only have an XBox 360 to play these game on, but they're still amazing. I like to put on headphones with a good podcast and just drive around for hours. In Forza Horizon, of course.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I put a stupid amount of time into Horizon 4 earlier this year, it got a bit grindy in the end, but I suppose I'm partly at fault for taking too much notice of the seasonal stuff. Played it with assists off but manual gears, AI on a few notches below top.

I picked up the Fortune Island expansion during a sale, haven't played that as of yet.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I don't have too much to add other than that I played Forza 4 on Xbox 360 with kinect and it had the head tracking in first person mode while racing. I was incredibly impressed.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I resumed my Horizon 4 file and holy shit I just got the Warthog. I was not expecting to see this in the game despite it making perfect sense. I also noticed another peculiar guest vehicle from a specific fantasy game during one of my races. :]
DMC

Post by DMC »

emphatic wrote:I like to put on headphones with a good podcast and just drive around for hours. In Forza Horizon, of course.
That sounds like an awesome combo really, immersive and relaxing, will try it out.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

DMC wrote:That sounds like an awesome combo really, immersive and relaxing, will try it out.
:D

I found a pretty easy mission that paid handsomely and just kept re-taking it until I'd earned enough to buy a Bugatti Veyron to impress my 8 year old son in the morning. I rarely have the time for hours of podcasts except the commute to work, so it was a lucky combo.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

want that damn Regalia...