Jitsu Squad (new belt brawler) is coming back to Kickstarter

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
ChurchOfSolipsism

Jitsu Squad (new belt brawler) is coming back to Kickstarter

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

... in January, apparently. It's a new beat'em up game with wonderful hand drawn (not oixel though) graphics. The creators canceled the Kickstarter campaign/ postponed it due to Corona. Check out the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Rsm2T8JX8

Apparently, there will be a free playable demo, too, which bodes well.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Stevens

Re: Jitsu Squad (new belt brawler) is coming back to Kicksta

Post by Stevens »

Love the Sam Sho nod.
My lord, I have come for you.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Yeah, that hedgehog character looks like Haomaru, Galford and a bunch of other characters rolled into one...
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
kitten

Post by kitten »

holy god damn, this is ugly and unreadable. did they seriously make a belt-scroller without even including a belt perspective? jesus.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
ChurchOfSolipsism

What's a "belt perspective", mate?

(Do you seriously think this game looks ugly? We must have very different expectations of what a game should look like then...)
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

The belt perspective, as far as I understand, is provided by trapezoid-shaped areas, with diagonal walls on the sides to simulate some sort of depth in the visuals.

I also find the art style to be very unappealing and garish. It's not badly done for what it wants to do I suppose, but it's not my thing at all and I can see why kitten doesn't like it either. It also lacks contrast to easily tell you what is the background and what are actual dynamic game actors (player, enemies, items, etc.) so the screens look kinda confusing.

Also, damn that's one absolutely terrible trailer (just like the huge majority of video game trailers, but still). It constantly tries to give you seizures by switching to new cuts every two seconds and with all that flashing WTF. How can anyone even know what the game plays like based on that "footage"?

It's like the devs think their own game is garbage (even though that's probably not the truth) and showing more than 3 consecutive seconds of how it plays is going to reveal it to everybody, or that viewers have nonexistent attention spans and don't need to see how even just a single enemy wave encounter will play like in the game. Urgh.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

It's okayish for an everyday cartoon. Ugly is this:

ChurchOfSolipsism

Meatboy certainly is no beauty, true, but I thought it was part of its rough charm... looks like I'm less of a graphics whore than I'd always assumed, at least compared to you guys :lol: but yeah, matter of taste and all... agree on the trailer btw. Guess they were going for a "intro to a saturday morning cartoon"-kind of thing and it didn't work.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

It's so visually confusing I can barely even look at it. What a mess. Even UMVC3 is easier to follow than this.
Marc

Post by Marc »

That Meat Boy screen shot actually offends my eyes.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
ChurchOfSolipsism

New (short) trailer available; kickstarter and playable demo coming in two weeks.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ji ... t-32254292

Still looks very appealing to me, but the screen shake is pretty annoying.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Kickstarter and demo are live.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Well that video does look a lot better.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

I wish them well, but after checking the demo i'm really not digging the style at all. I like their concept work, but not what i'm getting on my screen.
AyeYoYoYO

Post by AyeYoYoYO »

Chibi, busy, Hack n Slash Beat 'em Up, with 4player local couch-co-op, is exactly what the doctor ordered ...
ChurchOfSolipsism

Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Definitely looks chaotic enough.