PS4 arcade stick on PS5 version of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Konsolkongen

PS4 arcade stick on PS5 version of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2

Post by Konsolkongen »

Anyone knows if this will work? Sony did say that PS4 arcade sticks will be supported in PS5 games, but I'm sceptical if this isn't going to be on a game by game basis where the developer has to enable them individually. If so I fear that A LOT of upcoming game won't be compatible.

Of course I could just buy the PS4 version and play that on PS5, there probably won't be any difference at all, but the PS5 cover is preferable since it's for a new console :D
bigbadboaz

Re: PS4 arcade stick on PS5 version of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2

Post by bigbadboaz »

The wording of Sony's announcement sounded like true compatibility for PS4 sticks -> PS5. nobody's expressed any concerns and it lines up nicely with Microsoft's backwards compatibility for controllers on Series consoles.

When PS3 sticks required developer drivers to work on PS4 that was stated in a much more explicit way. You could still be right but I haven't been worried about it.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I think I've managed to figure this out without buying the game.

Using my Hori Vewlix stick I can actually start up and play both Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. So I'm pretty confident that this should work in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 as well.

Unfortunately my other stick has a Brook Universal Fighting Board (v 2.8.3) and this does not work with PS5 games :( It does work fine controlling the PS5 dashboard and PS4 games of course, but it would appear that Brook users are out of luck at the moment. A new firmware would have to be developed for it to work.

I'm buying the PS4 version then as it would ensure maximum compatibility with all controllers.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Oh wow this actually is as stupid as I imagined :(

Just received the PS4 version of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2. This version allows a free upgrade to the PS5 version to be downloaded. Not sure why they couldn't fit both on the disc but whatever. Still nice enough I guess.

As I expected the Brook stick doesn't work in the PS5 version :/ It does work in the PS4 version though.

My Vewlix stick on the other hand doesn't work in either version?! I cannot believe this fuckup from Sega. A puzzle game that doesn't support arcadesticks WTF? And I was really quite sure that it would just work on the PS5 version as Spider-Man and Demon's Souls are both "playable" with the Vewlix.

It would seem that arcade sticks are going to be a nightmare of incompatibility issues on PS5 if the developer actively has to add support for them :roll:
D

Post by D »

I have the same issue on the playstation 5
Physical copy of PS4 version of Puyo Puyo vs Tetris 2 installed on a PSS.
So with a Hori RAP4 I am able to navigate to the PS4 version and boot it. Then in game, nothing works.
This is bonkers!
But official ps4 joypads do work with this game
Tetris TGM works like a charm on the ps5 with the RAP4. Just needed to reconfigure the button layout, easily done.

By the way, since we're talking about Tetris, there is also an unofficial playstation 1 port of Tetris TGM.
There's one image with music and one without (for those who do not want music or mix in their own music through their sound system)
Works like a charm. Button layout is set up for the Yellow/black Namco PS1 stick (NPC-102)
This is the illest thing ever. A fully 100% working new Playstation game. Can I really be the only person in the world excited about this?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The Hori Playstation 5 Fighting Stick Alpha would be the official solution to make sure 100% compatibility with all PS5 games. It's listed with a MSRP of $199.99 usd right now. It uses a square gate which is perfect for shmups & puzzlers indeed. https://stores.horiusa.com/fighting-sti ... station-5/

There's the upcoming Hori PS5 Fighting Stick Alpha with Street Fighter 6 motif scheme scheduled to be released on June 2, 2023 with a MSRP of $229.99 usd as well. https://stores.horiusa.com/spf-033U/

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Austin

Post by Austin »

It's unfortunate that Sony handles the PS4 controller on PS5 games situation this way. Once I got my PS5 and offloaded my PS4, I ended up parting with my RAP4 since it wouldn't work on the PS5 ports that are starting to roll out. I plan on getting the updated Hori PS5 stick later this year, but it sucks that I have to drop another $200 for the privilege. On the Xbox side, I'm still rocking my RAP5 that works on both the Xbox One and 360, and since the series consoles are fully compatible with Xbox One devices, it carries forward fully. GG, Microsoft.

For the PS4 side I'm currently using a Brook adapter with a Qanba Carbon PC/PS3 stick with Sanwa parts swapped in. It seems to work well enough for the most part, but I swear in some games it feels like some input lag may be added. Could just be in my head. Now that I think of it, I don't think I've attempted it with PS5 software. I do have that version of Raiden IV now and will have to give it a try.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

This is why I'm a big fan of things like the Brook UFB. Whether custom or a Hori etc you can decide what stick you want based on parts, case and layout without worrying about compatibility. I like how they addressed PS5 support with an upgrade pcb kit for their existing board. Of course their products aren't always cheap. Like a lot of good things though you invest a bit more up front and then don't have to spend again for a long long time.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to go back to having specific sticks for each console once they have a universal solution. Especially when the Brook pcbs are the fastest in terms of input lag as well.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Rastan78 wrote:I can't imagine anyone wanting to go back to having specific sticks for each console once they have a universal solution.
I can imagine it because it's what I prefer.

I prefer specific sticks per console because of functional simplicity. The buttons are labeled to match the console's nomenclature, and there's no having to remember "hold button Z while booting the console and standing on your head to enter the mode you need to make XYZ work"...I'm exaggerating of course but still...

I also don't have to worry about Sony locking out something they didn't license with firmware updates, though I guess they've stopped doing that?

I've built my own sticks though and have since the 16-bit era; if I had to buy whatever is offered for each console I might feel differently.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

When I've done homemade or custom sticks I've always just not labelled the buttons. Problem solved lol.

Since you're building your own yet tailoring them to each console what solution do you use for a pcb? Pad hacks?
cfx

Post by cfx »

Rastan78 wrote:When I've done homemade or custom sticks I've always just not labelled the buttons. Problem solved lol.

Since you're building your own yet tailoring them to each console what solution do you use for a pcb? Pad hacks?
Yes, pad hacks. Usually from something by Hori once standard first party controllers got complex and wireless.