shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:42 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: PS4 arcade stick on PS5 version of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:35 pm 

Anyone knows if this will work? Sony did say that PS4 arcade sticks will be supported in PS5 games, but I'm sceptical if this isn't going to be on a game by game basis where the developer has to enable them individually. If so I fear that A LOT of upcoming game won't be compatible.

Of course I could just buy the PS4 version and play that on PS5, there probably won't be any difference at all, but the PS5 cover is preferable since it's for a new console :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: PS4 arcade stick on PS5 version of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:19 pm 

The wording of Sony's announcement sounded like true compatibility for PS4 sticks -> PS5. nobody's expressed any concerns and it lines up nicely with Microsoft's backwards compatibility for controllers on Series consoles.

When PS3 sticks required developer drivers to work on PS4 that was stated in a much more explicit way. You could still be right but I haven't been worried about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:06 pm 

I think I've managed to figure this out without buying the game.

Using my Hori Vewlix stick I can actually start up and play both Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. So I'm pretty confident that this should work in Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 as well.

Unfortunately my other stick has a Brook Universal Fighting Board (v 2.8.3) and this does not work with PS5 games :( It does work fine controlling the PS5 dashboard and PS4 games of course, but it would appear that Brook users are out of luck at the moment. A new firmware would have to be developed for it to work.

I'm buying the PS4 version then as it would ensure maximum compatibility with all controllers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:37 pm 

Oh wow this actually is as stupid as I imagined :(

Just received the PS4 version of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2. This version allows a free upgrade to the PS5 version to be downloaded. Not sure why they couldn't fit both on the disc but whatever. Still nice enough I guess.

As I expected the Brook stick doesn't work in the PS5 version :/ It does work in the PS4 version though.

My Vewlix stick on the other hand doesn't work in either version?! I cannot believe this fuckup from Sega. A puzzle game that doesn't support arcadesticks WTF? And I was really quite sure that it would just work on the PS5 version as Spider-Man and Demon's Souls are both "playable" with the Vewlix.

It would seem that arcade sticks are going to be a nightmare of incompatibility issues on PS5 if the developer actively has to add support for them :roll:

Offline Profile