Cannon Spike

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Squire Grooktook

Cannon Spike

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Been playing this one a bit lately when I want to procrastinate doing work and can be confident it won't turn into 2 hours. Psikyo games be fast yo.

Anyway, pretty interesting combo of brawling and arena shooting. Would have expected more of the former from a Psikyo game since even their "pure" shmups tend to have a heavy emphasis on close range aggression, but I'm finding that (with my character at least) the general meta if you're not speedrunning is to spend more time at range and only go for melee when it's absolutely positively safe to do so (and you have a plan, Psikyo games are strict). Still, the combination of shooting and heavy hitting, hit-stun laden specials that lock you in place is very interesting with its emphasis on punishing enemies and such.

Think I might be able to 1-all this one without too much effort. So far stuck on Cat Lady Beauty, and I kinda have no idea how to deal with the bosses afterwards without a million bombs/health.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Re: Cannon Spike

Post by BIL »

It's been an obscene length of time for me (like most things not easily emulated on early 00s potato PCs, or available on PS4), but I remember the Lynn Kurosawa-esque katana girl's looping slash shearing through boss lifebars like hot cutlery through margerine. Good times... Psikyo's short, intense stages work superbly with the wave destruction setup, it really feels like you're an elite commando parachuting in, tearing enemies apart and assassinating the target at blinding pace. I think I just about made the end of the first loop before picking it up for DC.

I wonder how impossible it'd be for this one to see a modern re-release, given the myriad Capcom IPs within. How about an all-Psikyo model swap, they got the rosters for it. Get that one-eyed ninja broad with the digit-snapping cameltoe from Sengoku Blade in there. Image
Squire Grooktook

Re: Cannon Spike

Post by Squire Grooktook »

BIL wrote:How about an all-Psikyo model swap, they got the rosters for it. Get that one-eyed ninja broad with the digit-snapping cameltoe from Sengoku Blade in there. Image
Interesting enough, the Psikyo-original Not-Linn-Kurosawa character got canonized recently in Street Fighter V side materials.

I've mostly been playing Cammy for her slightly speedier melee attacks, and devastating impactful heavy bullets. Simone's sword bomb though is tempting though, both for its ease in dispatching late-game enemies and the visceral devastating power in itself.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.