Opinions on PS5 & games so far.

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
system11

Opinions on PS5 & games so far.

Post by system11 »

Well I got my PS5 today.

I actually intended to sell it due to some expenses that came up this month when my NAS exploded, but after selling it on ebay for an obscene markup I noticed some damage on the box and didn't want to roll the dice with returns etc, so refunded and opened it.

The thing is giant, but in vertical setup actually very attractive. OS is a confused mess to navigate, maybe that gets easier with time. Right out of the box the hard drive just isn't big enough considering the size of PS5 games - you lose a few hundred GB to the OS on a 825GB disk.

Tried a couple of games - I'm using a 1080P set and Cold War is indistinguishable from running on a PS4. No Mans Sky however finally delivers the frame rate it was supposed to, definite upgrade.

However - and I'd love to hear from other people trying them, the new 'Dualsense' is diabolical trash. It's heavy, really heavy. It's bloated along the middle to make space for the new trigger hardware, and as a result comfortable to hold but quickly uncomfortable to actually use. The trigger tech prevents any kind of accurate use in Cold War, you can't tap fire a bullet anymore, you have to spray. Holding down scope aim became rapidly uncomfortable. Thankfully you can turn this all off in the system settings which makes things better but can't fix the fundamental ergonomic problems of fatness in the handles. Here's the worst bit though - despite you being able to run the PS4 versions of games on the PS5 and use a DS4 pad, these are blocked from use in PS5 games. No fucking reason, just blocked - apparently a marketing decision to encourage use of the new features of the pad.

Generally good experience until I tried to play anything, overall. On the upside the D pad is better than the old one, they finally got that right.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Sengoku Strider

Re: Opinions on PS5 & games so far.

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I was an early adopter of the last 3 PlayStations and their portable counterparts, but I couldn't find anything to get excited about here. The cross-gen stuff seems to be suffering from a case of diminishing returns, and it's clear that COVID has made this launch less than it otherwise might have been overall. But I'm sure down the line they'll come up with something that moves the needle for me. I will say that the first year of PS4 ownership felt pretty pointless, and I can see the same pattern potentially repeating here. So we might be waiting until next fall (get ready for some of those big name titles to get delayed thanks to COVID wave II) for some of the games that really let this thing show its potential.

Though I will say...I kind of hate the Skinner Box mind control route AAA gaming has gone down. I also don't like everything having to be an 80 hour epic, it's kind of a hassle unless the game's mechanics actually hold up that long. I found most of my PS4 & Switch time has wound up being spent on old Neo Geo & arcade games. That realization combined with the lacklustre PS5 launch lineup led me to put that money into an import Saturn instead, which I'm enjoying.

Hope anyone that did get a PS5 is enjoying it though. WRC 9 looks pretty fun.
system11

Post by system11 »

The games I'm fine with, I like Call Of Duty BO series, I was enjoying the new one on my PS4 this morning - but it's simply less fun on the PS5 due to the fat controller. I was really looking forward to the new AC but I kind of don't even want to use the machine at all due to the pad, it's that nasty. Original XBox levels of bloaty shape - 70g heavier too which is quite a lot when you're starting at around 215g.

Edit - forgot to mention, there's now a mic in the pad. Yes it's enabled by default. You can turn it off upon login in the settings but the switch on the pad is dangerously close to the PS one and easy to knock on.
Sengoku Strider

I've absolutely loved AC since the Origins reboot, both it and Odyssey were two of the most legitimately incredible game worlds that have ever existed. Had I a PS5 the new one would have been a purchase for sure, but for now I'll just stick with the PS4 version.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

system11 wrote:the new 'Dualsense' is diabolical trash. It's heavy, really heavy. It's bloated along the middle to make space for the new trigger hardware, and as a result comfortable to hold but quickly uncomfortable to actually use. The trigger tech prevents any kind of accurate use in Cold War, you can't tap fire a bullet anymore, you have to spray. Holding down scope aim became rapidly uncomfortable.
What size hands do you have? Like what size gloves do you wear? Did you find the old PS4 controller comfortable?

I'm asking because I was really excited that the new PS5 controller is a little bit larger than the PS4. I know everybody is different, but I legit can't comfortably use the PS4 controller. In fact several people I've had over to my house to play PS4, un-spurred, said how the PS4 controller hurt their hands to use and this was like less than an hour of playing each (all normally play Xbox).

Weight shouldn't be a problem for me – PS5 is 282 grams, the old XBO w/ AA batteries is 288g, XBO Elite Series 2 is 348g (and I preferred the weight of the Elite).
system11

Post by system11 »

No idea what size my hands are, but as a reference guide I found the DS4 spot-on, perfect. In fact I had to turn the PS5 off now because after just 2 hours of play that pad has set off my tendonitis. That's *bad*. Sony were real assholes disabling DS4 in PS5 games, it even states you're not allowed to if you try. I haven't had a tendonitis hit this year until now.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Hate to say it but you sound like an outlier on controller feel. I'm not saying it's all positive but there's certainly more raves about the DualSense than negative feedback out there.

I don't doubt there's great potential in the new haptics, but as usual it will come down to how developers actually program them. I've already heard that in DiRT 5 fpr some inexplicable reason they chose to use them to make the accelerator progressively harder to press. Hello: accelerator pedals in real life do not have variable resistance, nor are they a part of the car actually affected by what's going on outside. Also, to your point, this simply makes the game harder to play. Ridiculous!
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

I love the DS controller! I have big hands (uh, XL gloves), and I really like the DS4, much more than the Xbone controller.

I have to say, I actually think it's a little too heavy, I prefer the weight of the DS4, but as far as size and feel, DS all the way!

The PS5 overall is fine, but if you're not a console fanatic, I'd say wait until they are cheaper and easier to get.

I'm also annoyed that PS4 games (shooters I've tried) don't provide rumble with the DS and also, one of my favorite shooters already doesn't work.

Details here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67624
system11

Post by system11 »

It's fatness where the middle finger used to sit which is fucking it all up, been carefully looking how my hands sit and that's the problem right there. That and the increased weight, an increase of about 40%.

Edit: a teardown guide exists - lots of scope to reduce weight:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlaySta ... own/138280
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

Any concerns about getting the first iteration?
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Sengoku Strider wrote:I've absolutely loved AC since the Origins reboot, both it and Odyssey were two of the most legitimately incredible game worlds that have ever existed. Had I a PS5 the new one would have been a purchase for sure, but for now I'll just stick with the PS4 version.
Or just on PC. That is my main issue now, everything has blurred together so I see no point. I never got an XBone, feel I missed nothing. Now...if there is Bloodborne 2 exclusive to PS5...they'll get me.
rapoon wrote:Any concerns about getting the first iteration?
This feels valid to me. It's been an issue with every Sony console.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

More like every modern console, period. first chipsets are always huge and hot. The giant size of this PS5 is both evidence of this and a "concern" in its own right.

Even the Sony controller got a revision last gen. The DualShock that came with the Slim is known as the V2 and was tightened up all around.

I'm not saying there will necessarily be serious issues with the PS5 - and there don't seem to be any yet - but there were valid reasons to hold off on the first-run console even without seeing one in the wild. And as far as complaints on the DualSense, that may even get a tweaked V2 like the DS4 before it.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

My concern with the new consoles is that game design in its own right hasn't budged much in 3 or maybe 4 generations of console. Its getting old in the tooth.

With PS1 to PS2 there was a major jump in graphics and what was possible with DVD storage over CD storage. The jump to PS3 allowed you to go online with almost every game, have wireless controllers and the jump to HD compatible resolutions to match your new TV at the time and played blu ray movies.

After this, things have moved up in micro steps for me.

PS4 set the standard for 1080p resolution in gameplay so was somewhat of a pulling factor.
PS5 set the standard for 4k resolution in gameplay and is somewhat of a pulling factor (with supposedly fast loading times whoo hoo, not as fast as my SNES and Megadrive though).

But the one aspect of gaming which is ultimately lacking is in game design. The Devs have so much power the first line in the game design process is always Earths gravity, lots of trees and earth like structures, lots of blue sky and lighting effects. By the time you get beyond this part of the game design what you have is a game that looks like 4000 games that preceded it.

Forgive me if I am wrong here but I see it like this. Any game of this PS5 generation could be made by any of the preceding consoles. To stick with Playstation branding I see it like this -

Any game can be made on

PS1 - At 240p
PS2 - At 480p
PS3 - At 720p
PS4 - At 1080p
PS5 - At 4k.

And the difference between PS4 and PS5 is somewhat questionable when it comes to value for money.

Sony doesn't allow old controllers to be used on new hardware even though most of the buttons are sitting in exactly the same mould and then charge another £60-$60 for a new one. Not even for B/C games.

Even the PS1-PS2 jump allowed the usage of old controllers and memory cards. When you think of how green the earth needs to be , it makes you wonder how Sony can get away with forcing new controllers on you when the old ones would do fine for most games like Bomberman. Nintendo can get away with it because they redesign everything from the ground up, but you can't say that about Sony or Microsoft. I give way to Microsoft because apparently they do allow older controllers to work on the latest hardware.

Anyone looking forward to Gran Turismo on Ps5, it just makes me laugh. Even shinier wheels and paint jobs, more grain of dust on the track etc. Just whatever.. Its not that exciting in terms of game design.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

You'll get no argument from me, I've also felt this way for years. Biggest jumps in tech for me were gen NES/SMS to SNES/MD and PS/SAT/N64 to DC/PS2/GC.

Diminishing returns since then.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I always wonder what a PS5 Space Harrier would look like with a AAA budget. Even a AAA Switch Space Harrier for that matter. Just imagine the imagination you could put into something like that!!

To think the PS5 will likely have less than 5 truly original game designs in its whole lifetime, just regurgitating same old formulas used time and time again.

When Henry Ford was asked why he invented the car without asking the customers what they wanted he said "Because they would have all asked for the fastest horse".

It seems they just want to keep making faster horses. Its the customers that are primarily at fault because they keep buying tried and tested formulas.

To give some idea of what I would make for PS5 -

A bubble bobble metroid vania game
A super monkey ball crossed with Tron Universe game (with a speedrun feature built in) and music would be dynamic so danger would be sensed through it. (VR compatible)
A mission impossible licensed game
A new space harrier
A new Powerdrift with online play
A last Ninja remake with a newly designed hand to hand combat system
A multiplayer crazy climber game where up to 8 players have to climb different terrains in the quickest times (online only). You can punch, shoot and use special weapons to shake people off their lead.
I'd like to make a shoot em up using AAA graphics
A colourful music game.

And these are just a few ideas I have. Many of them wouldn't even be expensive to make.

I've often thought of the possibility of featuring your phone into the games. So for example if your playing Metal Gear, your phone would act as the codec device or as a real phone in the game. Since controllers are blue tooth and phones have that feature I don't see it as a major obstacle to overcome. Just make an app for the phone that coordinates the data with the game.

Since I am an AV enthusiast I would make sure that anyone with such equipment got a sensory treat, with heavy bass where necessary. So a big explosion nearby would really rock your world. I would make puzzle sections where the surround sound speakers would heighten the experience (based on your speaker settings at the beginning of the game).

You might think none of that sounds nextgen, but a lot of it would be a departure from what we have nowadays. Everything would be abstract, videogame art and music that can only be defined by a videogame. Taking game design back to 16 bit era with a touch of nextgen tech. Thats where my head is at.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

neorichieb1971 wrote: To give some idea of what I would make for PS5 -

A super monkey ball crossed with Tron Universe game (with a speedrun feature built in) and music would be dynamic so danger would be sensed through it. (VR compatible)
A new space harrier
A multiplayer crazy climber game where up to 8 players have to climb different terrains in the quickest times (online only). You can punch, shoot and use special weapons to shake people off their lead.
A colourful music game.

And these are just a few ideas I have. Many of them wouldn't even be expensive to make.

I've often thought of the possibility of featuring your phone into the games. So for example if your playing Metal Gear, your phone would act as the codec device or as a real phone in the game. Since controllers are blue tooth and phones have that feature I don't see it as a major obstacle to overcome. Just make an app for the phone that coordinates the data with the game.

Since I am an AV enthusiast I would make sure that anyone with such equipment got a sensory treat, with heavy bass where necessary. So a big explosion nearby would really rock your world. I would make puzzle sections where the surround sound speakers would heighten the experience (based on your speaker settings at the beginning of the game).

You might think none of that sounds nextgen, but a lot of it would be a departure from what we have nowadays. Everything would be abstract, videogame art and music that can only be defined by a videogame. Taking game design back to 16 bit era with a touch of nextgen tech. Thats where my head is at.
Re: The cell phone.

About 20 years ago there was a game called Majestic. It died quick, but used AIM and phone calls to try to pull you in.

I would like OutRun 3, but have been pining for an updated Zillion for years.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

You can indeed use PS4 Dual Shocks on the PS5 for BC games. That is the caveat - you can ONLY use them on BC games.. but they definitely allow it. And they have already announced that "specialty peripherals" like sticks and wheels will carry over.

Yes the DualSense is required for new-gen games and yes, buying that 2p pad will put an extra $70ish in Sony's pocket, but I give them the benefit of the doubt here with how positive and strong the feedback on the new haptics has been. This is one case where it makes sense they'd want the new games to be experienced with those effects in place. It's one area where the console can provide a upgraded experience outside of its graphics, and they're the only one of the two competitors who made such an effort with this generation.
Sengoku Strider

neorichieb1971 wrote:I always wonder what a PS5 Space Harrier would look like with a AAA budget. Even a AAA Switch Space Harrier for that matter. Just imagine the imagination you could put into something like that!!

To think the PS5 will likely have less than 5 truly original game designs in its whole lifetime, just regurgitating same old formulas used time and time again.

When Henry Ford was asked why he invented the car without asking the customers what they wanted he said "Because they would have all asked for the fastest horse".

It seems they just want to keep making faster horses. Its the customers that are primarily at fault because they keep buying tried and tested formulas.

To give some idea of what I would make for PS5 -

A new space harrier
A colourful music game.

Well hey, there's no reason you can't get some game design middleware made for non-programmers & realize your indie dreams. This is how they always start. You don't need other people's IP/licenses to make it happen, in fact a strong idea can be better off without them.

Metal Gear Solid V literally did this.

Plenty of games have used a parallel smartphone app for various functions, there was even a period a couple of years back in which the larger publishers were pushing hard for it. But in practice it often ends up being a clunky hassle that has people asking why it just couldn't be done on screen. It takes a pretty compelling idea to make it work. There are some good instances where it can be used to make up for a game's design/infrastructural shortcomings, like with Destiny Item Manager.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Well hey, there's no reason you can't get some game design middleware made for non-programmers & realize your indie dreams. This is how they always start. You don't need other people's IP/licenses to make it happen, in fact a strong idea can be better off without them.
Every now and then, I'm tempted to load up my gamedev software and make a hardcore dungeon crawler with mechanics stolen/inspired from my favorite tabletop game, write it as Phantasy Star V, and then change all the names at the last moment to make it non-copyright-infringing.

So far too busy with my shmup though. But who knows when that urge will overpower me.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

My two cents:

- I really dislike the PS5 design, both console and controller. Both are very ugly to me... nothing redeemable there.
- 1tb seems to be a very small amount for an HDD this generation... but I understand the desire to keep costs down for launch.
- I think its safe to say that PS5 is already the winner this generation, which is good for Sony but not for gamers. When there's a lack of competition, companies just have no reason to push boundaries/limits. So, I agree with those who have expressed sentiments that this generation might be 'boring', as far as innovation in game design goes.
- Sony's first party studios are pretty amazing, from a technical standpoint. But aside from God of War, their output hasn't been much fun to play.
- Demons Souls is the only title I'd have any interest in, and while Bluepoint made a technically beautiful game, they killed the aesthetic with their re-interpretation of From's original art.
- If I owned the system, I'd really only be looking forward to Ratchet and Clank (A fun, well-made series) and the next God of War... but until I see some Japanese studios (cough, Platinum, cough) output, I'm not excited about anything.

I will undoubtedly buy a PS5 once they re-launch it with a redesign in a few years, but for now I'm more interested in what Nintendo does with their upcoming Switch upgrade. Maybe they'll just further their partnership with Microsoft, who are struggling...?
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

kid aphex wrote:My two cents:

- I really dislike the PS5 design, both console and controller. Both are very ugly to me... nothing redeemable there.
- 1tb seems to be a very small amount for an HDD this generation... but I understand the desire to keep costs down for launch.
- I think its safe to say that PS5 is already the winner this generation, which is good for Sony but not for gamers. When there's a lack of competition, companies just have no reason to push boundaries/limits. So, I agree with those who have expressed sentiments that this generation might be 'boring', as far as innovation in game design goes.
- Sony's first party studios are pretty amazing, from a technical standpoint. But aside from God of War, their output hasn't been much fun to play.
- Demons Souls is the only title I'd have any interest in, and while Bluepoint made a technically beautiful game, they killed the aesthetic with their re-interpretation of From's original art.
- If I owned the system, I'd really only be looking forward to Ratchet and Clank (A fun, well-made series) and the next God of War... but until I see some Japanese studios (cough, Platinum, cough) output, I'm not excited about anything.

I will undoubtedly buy a PS5 once they re-launch it with a redesign in a few years, but for now I'm more interested in what Nintendo does with their upcoming Switch upgrade. Maybe they'll just further their partnership with Microsoft, who are struggling...?
I thought I was the only one feeling this way. This new generation is the one that Ive been the least excited about. Dont care for all that realism crap and dont do any online gaming. Nintendo is one of the very few of the big companies that I still enjoy. Aside from M2's stuff and a very small amount of triple A games, dont use my PS4 nowhere near as I do my Switch. The Switch just takes it back to fun. Looking forward to whatever upcoming console they got coming for sure. I too will get a PS5 but Im not in any rush to get it. I got the PS4 after it was already 3 years old.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I do hope, whatever the PS5 controller's other features, its build quality is a damn sight better than that of the DS4's, specifically WRT dpad/button underlays.

I bought a v1 DS4 in 2014 for emulation. Its dpad underlay split after a couple months' GBA Metroids and Metal Slugs, the face buttons going flat shortly after. I moved on with my life and hoped the next time around, things wouldn't blow!

I bought a v2 DS4 in 2019 for PS4 gaming. Its dpad underlay split after a couple months' Saigo no Nindou and Metal Slugs, the face buttons going flat shortly after. I bought a three-pack of knockoff underlay sheets, which never felt right, and bumped a few more 1LCs off my list. Like clockwork, ~6 months later they're all dead too. Matched Sony's official ones at least *cough*

Today I plunked down £50 for a brand new v2 DS4 from the local supermarket, because I have a few 1LCs to knock off over the holiday. £50 isn't shit to me personally, I have done much worse in the service of gaming vice. But objectively? Given these things' build quality, that's quite the bumming.

I opened up my Hori Switch USB controller to see if I could scavenge it for underlays (didn't work, sadly). Couldn't help noting the dpad and face buttons' were heavier-duty opaque rubber. This thing soldiered through ~4yrs of merciless hard gayming usage without a peep. Its start and select buttons were translucent rubber, of the kind DS4s use for their action buttons - for obvious reasons, not a problem.

It's my fault for not just building a decent arcade stick already, but pads have their uses too. Nice and compact and comfy on couch/in bed, for one. Also, preferable for certain console games of arcade bent, like Contra III, which has a nice M2 release. EDIT: Hell, a DS4 is also a surprisingly comfy way to play LS30 and other rotary games, too - assuming you don't have a PS4-compatible rotary setup on hand.

So yes I hope they're a bit less cheeky this time around.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

A nextgen console needs a killer app for me. I've searched high and low but I can't find one for either console that suits my specific genres.

From what I've been told the Dual sense is unbelievable especially when playing the built in game and is actually the "killer app" of the system.

For me, the system needs to be smaller and the games need to have something special. I've always wanted a "ridge racer" type game on the playstations. Something short and sweet, shows off the powers of the systems in a kind of technical demo kind of way that doesn't require you to invest long periods of time. In this regard the PS1/N64 launches were more my cuppa tea.

I do not understand why people want to buy this console for double the MRSP when there is little reason to turn it on for more than 3 days. You might as well wait 2 months, get it at MSRP and have even better games to play than you do today. I'll dive in when Capcom/Konami/Namco release some wares, my staple diet.