shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:44 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Opinions on PS5 & games so far.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:39 pm 

Well I got my PS5 today.

I actually intended to sell it due to some expenses that came up this month when my NAS exploded, but after selling it on ebay for an obscene markup I noticed some damage on the box and didn't want to roll the dice with returns etc, so refunded and opened it.

The thing is giant, but in vertical setup actually very attractive. OS is a confused mess to navigate, maybe that gets easier with time. Right out of the box the hard drive just isn't big enough considering the size of PS5 games - you lose a few hundred GB to the OS on a 825GB disk.

Tried a couple of games - I'm using a 1080P set and Cold War is indistinguishable from running on a PS4. No Mans Sky however finally delivers the frame rate it was supposed to, definite upgrade.

However - and I'd love to hear from other people trying them, the new 'Dualsense' is diabolical trash. It's heavy, really heavy. It's bloated along the middle to make space for the new trigger hardware, and as a result comfortable to hold but quickly uncomfortable to actually use. The trigger tech prevents any kind of accurate use in Cold War, you can't tap fire a bullet anymore, you have to spray. Holding down scope aim became rapidly uncomfortable. Thankfully you can turn this all off in the system settings which makes things better but can't fix the fundamental ergonomic problems of fatness in the handles. Here's the worst bit though - despite you being able to run the PS4 versions of games on the PS5 and use a DS4 pad, these are blocked from use in PS5 games. No fucking reason, just blocked - apparently a marketing decision to encourage use of the new features of the pad.

Generally good experience until I tried to play anything, overall. On the upside the D pad is better than the old one, they finally got that right.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Opinions on PS5 & games so far.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:59 pm 

I was an early adopter of the last 3 PlayStations and their portable counterparts, but I couldn't find anything to get excited about here. The cross-gen stuff seems to be suffering from a case of diminishing returns, and it's clear that COVID has made this launch less than it otherwise might have been overall. But I'm sure down the line they'll come up with something that moves the needle for me. I will say that the first year of PS4 ownership felt pretty pointless, and I can see the same pattern potentially repeating here. So we might be waiting until next fall (get ready for some of those big name titles to get delayed thanks to COVID wave II) for some of the games that really let this thing show its potential.

Though I will say...I kind of hate the Skinner Box mind control route AAA gaming has gone down. I also don't like everything having to be an 80 hour epic, it's kind of a hassle unless the game's mechanics actually hold up that long. I found most of my PS4 & Switch time has wound up being spent on old Neo Geo & arcade games. That realization combined with the lacklustre PS5 launch lineup led me to put that money into an import Saturn instead, which I'm enjoying.

Hope anyone that did get a PS5 is enjoying it though. WRC 9 looks pretty fun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:08 am 

The games I'm fine with, I like Call Of Duty BO series, I was enjoying the new one on my PS4 this morning - but it's simply less fun on the PS5 due to the fat controller. I was really looking forward to the new AC but I kind of don't even want to use the machine at all due to the pad, it's that nasty. Original XBox levels of bloaty shape - 70g heavier too which is quite a lot when you're starting at around 215g.

Edit - forgot to mention, there's now a mic in the pad. Yes it's enabled by default. You can turn it off upon login in the settings but the switch on the pad is dangerously close to the PS one and easy to knock on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:35 am 

I've absolutely loved AC since the Origins reboot, both it and Odyssey were two of the most legitimately incredible game worlds that have ever existed. Had I a PS5 the new one would have been a purchase for sure, but for now I'll just stick with the PS4 version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:09 am 

system11 wrote:
the new 'Dualsense' is diabolical trash. It's heavy, really heavy. It's bloated along the middle to make space for the new trigger hardware, and as a result comfortable to hold but quickly uncomfortable to actually use. The trigger tech prevents any kind of accurate use in Cold War, you can't tap fire a bullet anymore, you have to spray. Holding down scope aim became rapidly uncomfortable.

What size hands do you have? Like what size gloves do you wear? Did you find the old PS4 controller comfortable?

I'm asking because I was really excited that the new PS5 controller is a little bit larger than the PS4. I know everybody is different, but I legit can't comfortably use the PS4 controller. In fact several people I've had over to my house to play PS4, un-spurred, said how the PS4 controller hurt their hands to use and this was like less than an hour of playing each (all normally play Xbox).

Weight shouldn't be a problem for me – PS5 is 282 grams, the old XBO w/ AA batteries is 288g, XBO Elite Series 2 is 348g (and I preferred the weight of the Elite).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:19 am 

No idea what size my hands are, but as a reference guide I found the DS4 spot-on, perfect. In fact I had to turn the PS5 off now because after just 2 hours of play that pad has set off my tendonitis. That's *bad*. Sony were real assholes disabling DS4 in PS5 games, it even states you're not allowed to if you try. I haven't had a tendonitis hit this year until now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:48 am 

Hate to say it but you sound like an outlier on controller feel. I'm not saying it's all positive but there's certainly more raves about the DualSense than negative feedback out there.

I don't doubt there's great potential in the new haptics, but as usual it will come down to how developers actually program them. I've already heard that in DiRT 5 fpr some inexplicable reason they chose to use them to make the accelerator progressively harder to press. Hello: accelerator pedals in real life do not have variable resistance, nor are they a part of the car actually affected by what's going on outside. Also, to your point, this simply makes the game harder to play. Ridiculous!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:53 am 

I love the DS controller! I have big hands (uh, XL gloves), and I really like the DS4, much more than the Xbone controller.

I have to say, I actually think it's a little too heavy, I prefer the weight of the DS4, but as far as size and feel, DS all the way!

The PS5 overall is fine, but if you're not a console fanatic, I'd say wait until they are cheaper and easier to get.

I'm also annoyed that PS4 games (shooters I've tried) don't provide rumble with the DS and also, one of my favorite shooters already doesn't work.

Details here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67624

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:15 pm 

It's fatness where the middle finger used to sit which is fucking it all up, been carefully looking how my hands sit and that's the problem right there. That and the increased weight, an increase of about 40%.

Edit: a teardown guide exists - lots of scope to reduce weight:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+5+Teardown/138280

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:24 am 

Any concerns about getting the first iteration?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:10 pm 

Sengoku Strider wrote:
I've absolutely loved AC since the Origins reboot, both it and Odyssey were two of the most legitimately incredible game worlds that have ever existed. Had I a PS5 the new one would have been a purchase for sure, but for now I'll just stick with the PS4 version.

Or just on PC. That is my main issue now, everything has blurred together so I see no point. I never got an XBone, feel I missed nothing. Now...if there is Bloodborne 2 exclusive to PS5...they'll get me.

rapoon wrote:
Any concerns about getting the first iteration?

This feels valid to me. It's been an issue with every Sony console.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:16 pm 

More like every modern console, period. first chipsets are always huge and hot. The giant size of this PS5 is both evidence of this and a "concern" in its own right.

Even the Sony controller got a revision last gen. The DualShock that came with the Slim is known as the V2 and was tightened up all around.

I'm not saying there will necessarily be serious issues with the PS5 - and there don't seem to be any yet - but there were valid reasons to hold off on the first-run console even without seeing one in the wild. And as far as complaints on the DualSense, that may even get a tweaked V2 like the DS4 before it.

Offline Profile