Brooks Retro PC Engine 6 button support?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Wilsoncqb1911

Brooks Retro PC Engine 6 button support?

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

I have a brooks retro board in my stick. It's updated to the latest firmware. I know the Brooks super converter for PCE got a firmware update for 6 button support. Did the retro board get this functionality as well? I can't get it to switch to 6 button mode if it did. If it does support 6 button, can anyone tell me how to switch modes? Home + Square doesnt work like it does on the suoer converter.
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Brooks Retro PC Engine 6 button support?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The Brooks Retro Board got a firmware update v1.3. Arcade Shock mentions it as well on it's site: https://arcadeshock.com/products/brook- ... 65e1&_ss=r

I'm not sure if the Brooks Retro Board has the firmware update to enable 6-button support for use with 'em Arcade CD-Rom2 fighting game titles.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:The Brooks Retro Board got a firmware update v1.3. Arcade Shock mentions it as well on it's site: https://arcadeshock.com/products/brook- ... 65e1&_ss=r

I'm not sure if the Brooks Retro Board has the firmware update to enable 6-button support for use with 'em Arcade CD-Rom2 fighting game titles.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Thank you. I have that update. I'm guessing no 6 button support then. I notice it is not mentioned anywhere but a reputable source told me it was added as part of that. I had high hopes...
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I'm waiting to hear back from Brook about whether or not there's support for autofire before I grab a PC Engine cable for the Retro Board. According to the board's online manual it only supports I, II, Run and Select, so it's almost certainly a no, but there's no harm in asking. Seems a big oversight, especially since it's so full-featured in its support for other consoles' controls, but maybe it's a tricky thing to implement on a board that's already doing so much else...
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

Klatrymadon wrote:I'm waiting to hear back from Brook about whether or not there's support for autofire before I grab a PC Engine cable for the Retro Board. According to the board's online manual it only supports I, II, Run and Select, so it's almost certainly a no, but there's no harm in asking. Seems a big oversight, especially since it's so full-featured in its support for other consoles' controls, but maybe it's a tricky thing to implement on a board that's already doing so much else...
Yeah, not having turbo ability kills it for so many games. With the lack of 6 button mode as well I largely gave up on using the retro board for PCE. I have it and use it when I play Legendary Axe and other games that work within its limitations and that's it. I wanted to have 1 stick that did everything however that seems to be impossible. So I got a Hori PC Fighting Stick, which does everything I want on that system.

I also got a cheap Ascii stick for Genesis since the retro doesnt cover that. There aren't any great choices on that system for good arcade sticks. I may have someone make me a custom stick at some point. I also got a Hori stick for Switch, although I didn't really need it since the UFB covers that. But it's so good and I love the Hayabusa lever and buttons. Maybe more than Sanwa....