Beat 'em Ups (Including Switch List)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: Beat 'em Ups (Including Switch/PS4 List)

Post by BrianC »

I took the plunge on The Takeover. I don't regret the purchase, but I'm under the impression it's more of a guilty pleasure than a must play. Lots of cheesy prerendered graphics and explosions, but gameplay seems to be a bit simplistic and unbalanced.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

Got back to Splatterhouse Part 3 and cleared it, after losing a run last night to that nasty stage 5 boss. Great game. It definitely has some unrefined elements and some things that could be improved upon. but I really enjoyed it.

The moveset is great. The superjoy feels really well-considered; its low damage and short duration are a cool way to balance out its lack of health drain - and the monster form's superjoy being a more massive drain on your powerup meter than anything else is smart, strongly encouraging you to avoid spamming it and instead seek out harder-execution, higher-damage solutions. The jumpkick feels a little useless, as do some of the weapons, but most of your tools are valuable, so your kit as a whole doesn't feel lacking. The monster form is really satisfying to tear things up with too; all of its attack animations are fantastic (though I wish that izuna drop was a little less exaggerated lol).

The way the game encourages - or forces, rather - use of the monster form through the wacky amount of damage some enemies do to you without the monster form's defense buff, as well as how rough it is to survive against some enemy types and bosses with the normal form's limited range and power, is a little inelegant, but ultimately that element of meter management is very enjoyable, and working out when it's best to cut loose and unleash your meter makes for some really pleasant moments - especially because, again, the monster form is both a well-thought out buff and very strong aesthetically.

I think the game's weakest attribute, by far, is the lack of enemy mixing. I think the brawler fundamentals, general pacing, and aesthetics are strong enough that I can forgive this, but it's pretty jarring to play a brawler that's this uninterested in sticking you up against mixed enemy formations, instead usually having you fight just one enemy type at a time in almost all encounters. It makes some of the absurdly hard-hitting enemies like the dog-headed creatures or the ghosts feel a bit wasted; without fodder enemies to hide behind, enabling them to act as scary, tension-providing vipers, their presence in the game is a little awkward. The enemy design is good overall, though, and that most enemies die pretty quickly (plus their ability to fuck the player over quickly if you aren't cautious) makes things work. I'm not a fan of enemies' propensity for running into you mid-combat, forcing grapples and causing you to get fucked due to how unsafe grabs can be - but as BIL brought up, there are workarounds for this and it's not really a sticking point.

And of course the aesthetics are great; so many comically gruesome enemy sprites (especially the bosses, who are almost all fantastic - huge fan of the stage 2 boss's morbid wriggling in his second phase). Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of how enemies will auto-drop out of whatever you're doing to them once you knock them past the visible battle-damage threshold. It reminds me of the way robots were adjusted in The Ninja Warriors Once Again to do the same once you do enough damage to blow off their heads - only in this game it happens to literally every enemy and boss, which is pretty unsatisfying and does mess with the cadence of combat.

High-quality game. It has some imperfections but I've had more fun with this than most other console-exclusive brawlers I've messed with, I think.
velo

Post by velo »

I noticed two that aren't in OP, if it's still getting updates...

1) Coffee Crisis, which plays like Simpsons/TMNT. Tried one level of the Genesis version and did not care for it. But it's out there, and it's on sale a lot.

2) Sword of the Guardian, which makes me think of ArcSys games, like Code of Princess or something... you can launch dudes and juggle them very easily, and there are lots of fighting game-type special move inputs. Also an inventory system that's a bit like D&D. I think the game was made by one guy though, and it's not like Fight 'n' Rage or something where you can't really tell.

I've been playing a lot of Zero Team lately, it really surprised me. It "plays fair" and has a ton of minor tweaks to the Capcom formula that I enjoy, like diagonal jumps. The shoryuken combo ended is really nifty too, seems more balanced than being able to jab into a forward throw. Are there any other Switch brawlers that aren't THAT hard? I don't think I could ever clear e.g. Ninja Gaiden, last level is pretty nuts.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

velo wrote:I noticed two that aren't in OP, if it's still getting updates...

1) Coffee Crisis, which plays like Simpsons/TMNT. Tried one level of the Genesis version and did not care for it. But it's out there, and it's on sale a lot.

2) Sword of the Guardian, which makes me think of ArcSys games, like Code of Princess or something... you can launch dudes and juggle them very easily, and there are lots of fighting game-type special move inputs. Also an inventory system that's a bit like D&D. I think the game was made by one guy though, and it's not like Fight 'n' Rage or something where you can't really tell.
Thanks for the suggestions, I went ahead and added them both to the list.

Sword of the Guardian slipped under my radar, it does look rather interesting though. Might have to give that one a shot.

I saw Coffee Crisis a while ago but was hesitant on adding it. Although I haven't tried it myself, based on the ratings and frequency it goes on sale it appears low quality even for a beat em up.

I also noticed Brutal Rage came out not too long ago but my god those screenshots look rough, I hesitantly added it to the list too.

Someone mentioned The Takeover earlier, I played it on Steam while it was going through Early Access and shortly thereafter and really enjoyed it.

On a side note: 9 Monkeys of Shaolin is now on sale in the eShop at an all time low. I picked it up on Steam during the summer sale and it honestly feels weird. The store front description on Steam states: "The true rebirth of iconic beat 'em up genre in vein of old-school video games!" and I appreciate developers trying new things (I think more should try), but to sum it up as much as possible it feels more like a 3D action game design (analog movement, a lot of different buttons used for moves, a lot of upgrades to choose from, a dedicated dodge button, etc.) with just a camera locked at viewing things from the side to give off an impression of a belt scroller. As a result it doesn't feel anything like a belt scroller (I don't think you can realistically use an arcade stick either). I ended up refunding it.
velo

Post by velo »

BloodHawk wrote:low quality even for a beat em up
:lol: harsh but true. There are the indie devs that appreciate the genre and there are the ones that sort of remember playing them at a pizza place when they were 7, and it's not hard to tell which is which. Coffee Crisis was originally Genesis homebrew, which isn't always a bad sign (Xeno Crisis), but in this case it's pretty rough if you don't spot it any points for running on old hardware. The fact that you have to dive kick in the same direction you jumped felt incredibly wrong... it didn't work that way in the old Konami games.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

I just saw that Mayhem Brawler is coming out for all of the major platforms later this month. I haven't heard of the developer before but it does look pretty interesting. On Steam it lists Leaderboards and Remote Play Together. Might have to give it a shot.

iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

I just got a review key for Mayhem Brawler. Gonna start playing it soon, though the embargo is for the release date. Looks like it could be a fun SOR4like.
velo

Post by velo »

Any thoughts on Raging Justice?
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

velo wrote:Any thoughts on Raging Justice?
Although I am far from an expert at the genre, I think Raging Justice is middle-of-the-road when it comes to Beat em Ups released over the last several years. It took me a little while to get used to the art style, but once I did I was able to enjoy it. It's been a few months, but IIRC it doesn't give you many movement options but they did balance the gameplay around that quite well so I never felt like I "needed" more maneuverability. I forgot the details between arresting someone versus knocking them out, but outside of that I don't remember anything "new" when it comes to gameplay.

I got it on sale and don't regret it at all. Overall I would say it's worth it at a discount.
Marc

Post by Marc »

BloodHawk wrote:
velo wrote:Any thoughts on Raging Justice?
Although I am far from an expert at the genre, I think Raging Justice is middle-of-the-road when it comes to Beat em Ups released over the last several years. It took me a little while to get used to the art style, but once I did I was able to enjoy it. It's been a few months, but IIRC it doesn't give you many movement options but they did balance the gameplay around that quite well so I never felt like I "needed" more maneuverability. I forgot the details between arresting someone versus knocking them out, but outside of that I don't remember anything "new" when it comes to gameplay.

I got it on sale and don't regret it at all. Overall I would say it's worth it at a discount.
This, pretty much. Style and tone reminds me of Midway's 'Narc'. It's got the odd little twist on the BEU formula, there's nothing particularly wronf with it.
I think you have to beat someone to just before death then hover over for the arrest if I remember right.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BloodHawk wrote:I just saw that Mayhem Brawler is coming out for all of the major platforms later this month. I haven't heard of the developer before but it does look pretty interesting. On Steam it lists Leaderboards and Remote Play Together. Might have to give it a shot.

I thought those were SOR4 screenshots until I read the description.
velo

Post by velo »

BloodHawk wrote:

Marc wrote: This, pretty much. Style and tone reminds me of Midway's 'Narc'. It's got the odd little twist on the BEU formula, there's nothing particularly wronf with it.
I think you have to beat someone to just before death then hover over for the arrest if I remember right.
"Like NARC" was enough to sell me on it. Also probably inspired by Vendetta: punch+kick buttons, kicking downed enemies, knocking guys into the background with a bat, etc.

It's much more fun than I was expecting, given the mediocre ratings. It's kinda jank but all the jank is fun. The dash attack for example seems way OP since it's fully invincible but it's satisfying to use as an escape. I like having dash buttons (one either direction) so I don't have to double tap all the time.

Grab attacks cause more stun damage (for arrests). The game's end message says to try for a Good Cop ending (ie arrest all bad guys w/warrants), but I'm not sure if it means do it all in one run or to "100%" the game, since the stage select tracks which levels you have Good-Cop-finished. Even the hardest difficulty (unless there's an unlockable one) give you multiple credits to finish and continuing doesn't impact score but it doesn't seem crazy-hard or unfair on first impression.

My leaderboard rankings fluctuate from ~top 20 to the thousands from level-to-level. I suspect high combo counts have a big influence and arrests not so much but I haven't paid close enough attention to figure out what the deal is.
Kino

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

Just finished a playthrough of Mayhem Brawler and overall it's pretty solid. Couple initial thoughts:

+ I really like the enemy variation. You have the typical standard/sliding/ranged enemies, but there are also different enemies that teleport on wakeup, can't be grabbed, or do a Scorpion-like teleport attack coming from the opposite side of the screen. I am sure there are other characteristics that I missed.

- Although the enemy variation keeps the game from getting too boring, there really isn't any gameplay variation from the stage designs. I am not talking about aesthetics, but the physical layouts. There are 2 selectable stages for each chapter and I only did one playthrough so far, but every stage I went through was open and flat with the only variations being the placement of barrels. I am not looking for an obligatory elevator stage, but maybe some sections where movement is more limited or you have to pay attention to where you are stepping while positioning yourself. There are a couple small vertical stage transitions and then one boss plants mines during one of her phases, but that's pretty much it. With the game not having a lot of stage variation I don't remember having to deviate from the standard herding techniques much at all outside of the boss fights.

I will try another playthrough tonight selecting the opposite stages and see if there is any difference. Overall though I still do like it and plan on playing it a lot more.
velo

Post by velo »

BloodHawk wrote:Just finished a playthrough of Mayhem Brawler and overall it's pretty solid. Couple initial thoughts:

+ I really like the enemy variation. You have the typical standard/sliding/ranged enemies, but there are also different enemies that teleport on wakeup, can't be grabbed, or do a Scorpion-like teleport attack coming from the opposite side of the screen. I am sure there are other characteristics that I missed.

- Although the enemy variation keeps the game from getting too boring, there really isn't any gameplay variation from the stage designs. I am not talking about aesthetics, but the physical layouts. There are 2 selectable stages for each chapter and I only did one playthrough so far, but every stage I went through was open and flat with the only variations being the placement of barrels. I am not looking for an obligatory elevator stage, but maybe some sections where movement is more limited or you have to pay attention to where you are stepping while positioning yourself. There are a couple small vertical stage transitions and then one boss plants mines during one of her phases, but that's pretty much it. With the game not having a lot of stage variation I don't remember having to deviate from the standard herding techniques much at all outside of the boss fights.

I will try another playthrough tonight selecting the opposite stages and see if there is any difference. Overall though I still do like it and plan on playing it a lot more.
I gave it a spin and my impression is very positive. I agree that the enemy designs/behaviors are interesting but the rectangular levels didn't bother me. The game feels more Capcom-ish than SoR4 does (good imo): 8-way run for all characters, 2-direction throw, guns. Didn't encounter any enemies with super armor, thank god, I don't like that trend. I wish they'd let you end a punch combo with a throw, but I guess you can't have everything. My gut tells me that having a block button has got to be OP but I'm dumb and keep forgetting to use it. Although they straight up copy-pasted stuff like the combo counter the game does have more going on than being "SoR4 only lower budget".
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Some of you might want to keep an eye on this.
velo

Post by velo »

BulletMagnet wrote:Some of you might want to keep an eye on this.
It would be cool if it were like Ninja Saviors but I fear it'll be basically the exact opposite of that, like the 3D Turtles in Time remake or something.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Man, yeah, if they did a Ninja Saviors-esque reboot I'd drop some fawkin' loads. I mean, cool that the game is finally getting some love outside of arcade enthusiasts after all these years, but I'm kinda spooked. Did anyone play their Panzer Dragoon remake?

They better not mess up the greatest beginning in video game history when the bus slams into all those zombos.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Marc

Post by Marc »

drauch wrote:Did anyone play their Panzer Dragoon remake?
Seems nice enough running on PS5? Though I've not played the original in years, and have no intention of doing.
This could be cool I guess, I'd like the original but the JTE ports are pretty bare bones, I can't be arsed to set up a US account to buy it, and I'm buggered if I can find it on my JPN account.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

drauch wrote:Did anyone play their Panzer Dragoon remake?
I have it on Switch and think it's quite good. I never played the original so I can't vouch for accuracy on that front, but on its own I think it's a fine, albeit easy, game.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

BulletMagnet wrote:Some of you might want to keep an eye on this.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

(That's all I can say. Oh, time to grow back a mullet or at least hair metal goldilocks!)
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
velo

Post by velo »

Sumez wrote:Any new takes on The Takeover? It's available from Limited Run Games right now, and I've been kinda curious about it for a while. I really like its unique visual style, and it seems to be mechanically functional.

The one take I've been able to find previously isn't very positive, (thanks, Sir Ilpalazzo), and it kinda echoes what I've seen elsewhere too. Basically like Streets of Rage 2, but without what makes it good.

I've been tempted to take the plunge anyway. I know it's not gonna be a SOR4 or Fight'n'Rage, but if there's still some mild appeal to it, I might still be interested.
BrianC wrote:I took the plunge on The Takeover. I don't regret the purchase, but I'm under the impression it's more of a guilty pleasure than a must play. Lots of cheesy prerendered graphics and explosions, but gameplay seems to be a bit simplistic and unbalanced.
I picked up the Switch version of The Takeover and played to the end, gotta concur with what's been posted already.

No button config... A=punch, B=jump, X=kick, Y=special. Not what I'd have gone with. No leaderboards. You have two different kinds of super meter plus a gun w/ammo plus superjoy, but enemies lack anti-airs or wakeup attacks etc so you can indiscriminately walk up and smack them to death with whatever. You can do popup-dash-juggle-special types of combos, but then again you can alternate punch/kick for an infinite. Running is eight-way and starts/stops instantaneously and has a dedicated button, so no reason to ever walk, you can move around crowds effortlessly. Game seems pretty long for what it is (maybe 1.5 hours? felt long, anyway) and I suspect Hard Mode is just Normal Mode with stage select/continues disabled. I think beating normal unlocked the fourth character, would be nice if you got a cookie or something for a Hard 1cc. Two bonus stages where you drive a vehicle and they're actually pretty cool.

"It seems to be mechanically functional" is a great one-line review. Play control is exceptionally smooth, doesn't feel janky in that sense, but there's no real game under it.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

No button config makes baby jesus cry.

I'm gonna start deliberately boycotting games in future that don't allow me to change button settings. Even if the game is good. I'm so tired of having to adapt to whatever jank-ass bullshit the designers thought would be cool.

Imagine a ps2 controller, right? Beat em ups should work like this: Square is punch. X is jump. Triangle is second attack input or a shortcut for desperation move. Now set that control scheme in stone and include it (as an option if nothing else) in every beat em up from now until the heat-death of the universe.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

Was browsing Steam and saw Asterix & Obelix: Slap them All! on the Popular Upcoming section. No native online co-op, but it has Remote Play Together. On the trailer it lists all the major consoles as well.

Might be a fun one to goof around with.

Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

So has anyone purchased or played the new IGS Collection on Switch that just shadow dropped? I'm very tempted to pick this up.

https://nintendoeverything.com/igs-clas ... on-switch/

It's overpriced imo considering how unknown most of these games are for non-beat em up fanatics, but I still kinda want to buy it.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

If Oriental Legend is anywhere near as good as Shadow Over Mystara then it's worth it for that alone. If I had a Switch yet I'd already have this.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sima Tuna wrote:It's overpriced imo considering how unknown most of these games are for non-beat em up fanatics, but I still kinda want to buy it.
IGS beaters enjoy a pretty solid rep around here, it sounds like a killer set (assuming, as always, they didn't cock up the input latency, or something equally fundamental). TBH I'd hop in just for Demon Front, Sumez makes it sound boneriffic.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

There's exactly one video on youtube about the collection. It's by tetsuo9999 who always does the community a service by repping these unknown games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y7GjajRF7k

The comments bring up one complaint that makes me a little unsure about paying money for the collection. That being, apparently the image is stretched and you can't revert it to original aspect ratio. Not a great look (lol) if true.

But yeah, I've always wanted to play these games and they look super cool. I'm still debating if I really want to spend the money. If the collection were $20 instead of $30 I'd have jumped on it for sure. No idea what the input latency is like. I assume it's going to have 1-2 frames of added input lag over emulation at least, since that's how the Switch works. Very few Switch arcade ports can retain the original input latency numbers. You pretty much need an M2 on the job for that.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Now people have no excuse not to play Demon Front
edit: Should probably have gone in the dedicated thread for the release, but now it's here as well
Last edited by Sumez on Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Air Master Burst wrote:If Oriental Legend is anywhere near as good as Shadow Over Mystara then it's worth it for that alone. If I had a Switch yet I'd already have this.
It's not too far in terms of content and complexity, but few things are so pretty as Mystara, you know. I quite like the game, but it's really demanding. It's closer to Tower of Doom than to Mystara as it's not a combo-focused game actually, but it's really its own thing. Knights of Valour and Gladiator are included anyway, which may be closer to what you're looking for. Too bad this collection seems like the worst to way to find out.