What's Our Favorite Personal Best Times Here?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
XoPachi

What's Our Favorite Personal Best Times Here?

Post by XoPachi »

I'm sure by nature, most of us like scoring high in games, but how many of you like setting fast times as well? I'm a fan of a good time attack and personal speed challenges.

What are some of your best times in, well, anything that can be reasonably timed?
It doesn't have to be a top record on any leaderboards, a popular game, a full speedrun, or anything super hard. Just something you're proud of setting. If you've got proof, I'd love to see videos, but I'm not requiring it.

(And a little friendly competition if some of us play the same titles wouldn't be so bad.)
Marc

Re: What's Our Favorite Personal Best Times Here?

Post by Marc »

I used to be fast as shit at F-Zero on SNES. I'd beaten pretty much every time published in magazines for the Knight cup, and was there or there about on Queen and King.

Now, I still play the whole thing through on Master once a year or so, the muscle memory is there, but the execution sometimes lets me down.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Marc wrote:I used to be fast as shit at F-Zero on SNES. I'd beaten pretty much every time published in magazines for the Knight cup, and was there or there about on Queen and King.

Now, I still play the whole thing through on Master once a year or so, the muscle memory is there, but the execution sometimes lets me down.
I imagine that would be the equivalent of staff ghosts which is cool to think about given the time period. :D
F-Zero X and GX were old favorites of mine back in college. I remember in 2012 getting a 20 second lap time with Mighty Typhoon in Serial Gaps. CGN himself told me it was impressive for a C tier ship. I was just learning a lot of GX's tech like MTS, mine boosts, and shift boosting.
I never learned F-Zero 1 or 2, but I always wanted to get into Climax since it's a good mix of classic and modern F-Zero.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I don't speedrun (all respect to those who do - I often consult their and TASers' notes for the finer details of a game's mechanics) - but I do like efficiency and momentum. They're far from the quickest, but I'm pretty happy with my 43min Ninja and Kunoichi Hard clears in The Ninja Warriors Again. It's a wickedly meddlesome, volatile game (to its eternal credit), and very long by arcade-styled standards - easy to get bogged down, knocked on your ass, etc. Pretty sure I could get sub-35 and sub-40 respectively, but I'm fine with both's watchability.

Similarly content with ~11min Saigo no Nindou 1LC, which I think might inadvertently be the quickest on Youtube. Really happy with st7-1, good buddies see me through the DEVILS AIR FRESHENER :cool:

Alart, sooper sekrit
Spoiler
SLEEPY

THA DICK

THA DARK STEPPES

THA PUSSY CRACK

THA ROOF SPIKE ANDY SIGNORE

THA DICK JUNIOR

Wasn't happy with my first Dogosoken 1LC (~26min, very scurred), knocked almost ten minutes off after learning2sword. Again, both Saigo and Dogo were more about consistent momentum than absolute clear time.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Going for the sub 2hour clear of Ico HD on ps3 was a fun time. Got that down really well.
that's the beauty of trophies/achievements, they can get you doing something you usually wouldn't do.

Also There was that time I was racing Dark Souls occasionally with a mate. fierce rivalry.

My best time on film was 1hr 20 https://youtu.be/KeGdzjuLskQ
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

It's not a "serious" pride as it happened by accident of sorts, but recently while working on a Pursuit challenge in Burnout 2, I made something of a head-on sandwich out of cop-car driven by me, an A.I. traffic car going from opposite direction, and the car I was chasing caught right between us, scoring crazy short completion time of this one. Pursuit reveals the face of Burnout 2 that "normal" time-attacking won't show you (so does Survival in the first Burnout).
I can't seem to get enough of hilariously dramatic moments Burnouts 1&2 deliver by design.

I also tend to "seriously" play single-player modes of vehicular games "nobody" seems to play "seriously" in single-player mode, such as Mashed: Fully Loaded and TrackMania Wii, striving for completion, where beating some of their challenges feels pretty epic (I suspect they get dissed a lot simply because they take effort not quite necessary if you play for just social fun). I'm the type to marvel at simplicity of such "simple" games as maybe the most difficult thing to get "right" as you develop a game (whereas - I suppose - making one's game complicated is much easier).
Marc wrote:I used to be fast as shit at F-Zero on SNES. I'd beaten pretty much every time published in magazines for the Knight cup, and was there or there about on Queen and King.

Do you happen to play F-Zero: Maximum Velocity now and then? I know some dislike how it demands crazy button mashing to take tight turns, but it never felt wrong to me. If you can dig it, I couldn't recommend Moto Racer Advance enough. And if anyone here knows of any remarkabe such scaler having appeard since those two (other than Cannonball port of OutRun), I'm all ears.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

I suspect that my recorded playthrough of Ragnarok is the fastest the game has ever seen. Low hanging fruit, I know.

My Cave Noire one life playthough is also competitive with most speedruns I've seen, though it falls far short of the WR.

Neither playthrough was originally intended as a speedrun, but I made efforts to play quickly for the sake of making the videos watchable. I think about 99% of all games benefit from being played for speed, but I don't do speedruns per se as I feel games are best when played with a freewheeling attitude. I bet roguelites are fun to speedrun until you get to the point where you can't improve without a cooperative RNG.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I am pretty speedy in all varieties of Sonic.
Messy block of links:

https://youtu.be/w5e2f-iiUrY
https://youtu.be/vTiPs-d-OrA
https://youtu.be/DAbEZxw8VxE (audios weird in this one)
https://youtu.be/5ybRrg-wFvc
https://youtu.be/ddYJG5BaWyc

I have some really nice times in Unleashed (HD), Rush 2, and Advance 2 but no means to capture them though.

I'm atrocious at shooters but I like to think I'm at least slightly above average at agile platformers.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Lol for some reason since this was in off topic and not other gaming I was thinking this was going to be the best times we've had reading threads on here and was already getting some to link.

I've got some okay Outrun times. There was a time when for a month or so that game is all I was playing. Nothing recorded but nothing super special either I don't think. I did have 0 crash runs obviously but had to slow down pretty good on turns to achieve that.

Most of the games I play/played religiously are about score and not time at all. Tetris and the digital pinball games on Saturn mostly.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Lol for some reason since this was in off topic and not other gaming I was thinking this was going to be the best times we've had reading threads on here and was already getting some to link.
Regalsin. mr. push don't pump.
Atheistgod99

people generally being awesome about mine and others' gaming feats/ videos.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

I'm on some of the Top 20 individual level leaderboards for Umihara Kawase Shun Steam Edition. Even though it's pretty clear there's not that much competition going on it was still pretty cool to work my way up there. First time I've bothered to do anything like that as I normally play for my own sense of accomplishment, but it was worth doing it to show my love for what may very well end up becoming my favorite game franchise. I may go back and improve my times some more.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Searchlike wrote:I'm on some of the Top 20 individual level leaderboards for Umihara Kawase Shun Steam Edition. Even though it's pretty clear there's not that much competition going on it was still pretty cool to work my way up there. First time I've bothered to do anything like that as I normally play for my own sense of accomplishment, but it was worth doing it to show my love for what may very well end up becoming my favorite game franchise. I may go back and improve my times some more.
I tend to find that less competition can sometimes make things even harder. With less people playing, the remaining few that do are near universally the most ridiculous at a given game.
(It's why TitanFall 2 servers are stuff of nightmares)
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

I can see that being the case. Hopefully I can bring some competition back into Kawase now that I've joined the fan forum. As of right now the disparity between best times in most levels is so big there's really nothing to brag about for me. I guess people lack an incentive. In my case, realizing that I was 20 levels or so below the visible leaderboards was enough for me to get to work. Achievements do help, as seen by the fact that I'm among the triple-digits in levels that award those for fast completion.

I really do love a good time attack challenge, there's nothing better than one whenever there's a shortage of time or you're simply looking for some spare time to kill (sorry about that). Other games I've been playing lately that I think are perfect for this kind of playstyle, besides racers and Sonic, are Kuru Kuru Kururin (I'd buy a Switch if Nintendo brings this back), Ninja Five-O/Ninja Cop (obviously :wink: ), Vanquish, Rodea the Sky Soldier, Half-Minute Hero, Bot Vice (I recommend playing this one like an arcade game, restarting upon death, the Umihara Kawase like global timer is much more meaningful that way) and Fatal Frame III (some challenges in Mission Mode).

Maybe we could compile a list for other enthusiasts of this particular kind of playstyle as long as it's not against the interest of this thread, of course. I hear Ys Origin/Oath in Felghana are good.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Bot Vice is amazing. I was just playing a good bit of that the other day. I love that little studio. Something so authentic about their games. Remind me of SNES era Natsume.

I can't think of many speed games for me to add to a list that aren't the obvious ones. None that I would play anyway. Outside of Spark 2 I generally stick to the clear entrants.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

Been playing Super Monkey Ball again, trying to get the time bonus for every stage in practice mode.

A crappy phone capture of my personal best in Master 9, one of SMB's hardest stages.
Spoiler
I took the fast route and cleared it in less that 9 seconds. If you look closely, you can see the little fella walking on thin air. Baby steps, I know, but this has me wondering whether I'm crazy/foolish enough to attempt a 1CC of Expert mode that includes the Master levels. This might be a major waste of time but I'm enjoying myself. I have to ask you guys though, how do you know when you've reached your limit?

---

I also ended up in the Top 10 leaderboard for floor 54 of Umihara Kawase Shun. As you can see, hardly anyone cares to time attack the individual levels, oh well. Still proud. :lol:
Spoiler
I have a few more competitive times.
Spoiler
This one wasn't particularly fast, fun nonetheless.
Spoiler
sunnshine

Post by sunnshine »

Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive, level 1 stage 2, I managed to get a sub-25s run and got a 50,000 time bonus. I only ever managed it once. It involves timing the sneakers power up to perfection and not getting hung up on a block on your way to the finish line.

Note- this was when Sonic came out, so sometime 1992, and my memory is a little hazy so the numbers might not be 100% right but I remember it being a thing at the time.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »