Let's Talk Game Developers Vol. 1: VISCO

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
CIT

Let's Talk Game Developers Vol. 1: VISCO

Post by CIT »

Let's talk obscure/b-grade/third-rate whatever you wanna call 'em video game developers. The ones who perhaps never had a break-through hit, but have their own ineffable charm and left their mark nonetheless. Personally, I like to go on developer binges now and then to really dive into some of these back catalogues to see what discoveries and connections can be made.

So yeah, let's start with: VISCO!

The company was founded in 1983 as Video System Co. Kyoto and shortly thereafter split into VISCO and Video System.
Mostly an arcade dev, first in the Taito ecosystem, then with a focus on Neo Geo, and finally developing their own SSV hardware in cooperation with Seta and Sammy, they also dabbled in the occasional NES or MD port and later a few home console games. VISCO is probably best known for the Drift Out series and the Vasara series.

Some questions to get a discussion going:

What was your first exposure to VISCO?

What game(s) do you associate most with them?

What do you think is their stand-out title?

Overall, what is your image of their games?

_____

I'll kick it off:

Probably Ashura Blaster, which I played as kid in an arcade in Austria. Clearly a Twin Cobra clone, but not nearly as good. Published by Taito, so I had no idea who was really behind it.
The first time the name VISCO stuck with me was when I played Vasara 2 in an arcade in Japan in the early 2000s. I realized I had never really heard of them, but soon realized they had made a bunch of Neo Geo games, as well as published Wardner No Mori for Mega Drive.

Probably Neo Drift Out.

My absolute favorite VISCO game is Breakers Revenge. It's basically the closest thing the Neo Geo has to Street Fighter Alpha 2 (or a next gen version of Fighters History Dynamite). Still play this regularly with a friend. Were it not for the fact that the development process was so prolonged, I think it would be much more highly regarded today.

Another game I really like is Storm Blade. More out of nostalgia, as it was the only shmup in my hometown arcade, but the game is really solid (if a bit easy) nonethless. Basically, it could be considered a beefed up Sonic Wings.

Another game I'm partial to is Ganryu/Musashi Ganryuki. For a game released in 1999 it certainly pales in comparison with other late arcade 2D ninja action titles, like Cannon Dancer and Strider 2, and some parts just seem unfinished, but I just love the fact the game exists at all. Had a lot of fun with it!

Finally I can really recommend Lovely Pop Jang Jang Shimashow to anyone into mahjong games. High production values and fun special items make it recommended.

For a developer who never really got any sustainable franchise off the ground (other than maybe Drift Out) I find the quality of their games remarkable. Most titles feel very well put together and really polished in terms of gameplay, if only somewhat lacking in originality.
Last edited by CIT on Tue May 19, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turrican

Re: Let's Talk Game Developers Vol. 1: VISCO

Post by Turrican »

First exposure... Does Twin Eagle - Revenge Joe's Brother for the famicom count?
X - P - B
it290

Post by it290 »

Lots of great games. Breakers Revenge is really good, but Vasara ain't bad either and if Wikipedia is to believed that Mega Driver port of Wardner is quite good too. I don't really play puzzle games so I can't comment on those.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

All I've played from them is Neo Drift Out and Breakers Revenge.
I love both, although I've probably not put as much time into Neo Drift Out as I should have.

Breakers Revenge is nonsense, but consistently entertaining nonsense. I absolutely adore it to death.
the last time I saw a main character as busted as Sho, I was playing Fighters History Dynamite and was dealing with Ray and Karnov :lol:
BR really does satisfy that absolutely off-the-wall experience that I want to get when playing FHD [which is a liiiiiiitle too jank].
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The Vasaras are pretty much the only stuff from them I've played to any extent, so the answer to every question on your list would be some variation on "Vasara", heh. That being said, the two are personal favorites of mine, both for their unusual emphasis on melee attacks and their commitment to selling the ridiculous premise of samurai on mecha-bikes with a mostly straight face.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Holy shit, had no idea on the Video System/Visco connection. Makes total sense in hindsight.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Cool idea for a thread (series)!

The only VISCO game I've played is Wardner no Mori Special on the MD. For the longest time I thought Toaplan had ported it themselves (as they did with so many of their STGs), but it was indeed ported by Dragnet. Commendable technical execution of a neat platformer with interesting projectile mechanics. I recall everything had an excellent flow to it. I definitely need to give this game a brush again. :)
BIL

Post by BIL »

I really like Wardner Special too - the only complaint I have is the oddly garish palette, compared to the PCB. You'd think its mossy medieval chibi-gloom would be a cinch on MD, lots of earth/metal tones... on the other hand, the beefed-up OST blows away the slightly thin AC soundtrack (not an uncommon event with MD Toaplan ports - their own and others', like the formidably booming Kyuukyoku Tiger MD! let's brush Tatsujin's unfortunately sped-up tunes under the rug, Yuge even apologised personally for 'em Image)
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Oh I think the issue's kept within bounds comparing videos of both versions, as it's mostly just the first stage where the greens are a touch too bright in my view, and stage 2's moss coverage's just a little more progressed :p - but yeah, appositely put. The MD should've been up to the task as more faithful representations like Ghouls 'n Ghosts/Daimakaimura exemplify.

Ah yes, the Tatsujin MD audio... obvious blunder that it is, but perhaps it'd comfort him to hear, rumour has it that some people actually prefer is this way, heh. Ironically, my favorite is Sting Entertainment's PC Engine rendition. >:D

Oki doki, back to VISCO now :lol:
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

Probably in this order (from many years ago):
Vasara (didn't play but saw few videos casually)
Storm Blade (played quite a bit)
Ganryu (played a little bit many years ago)

I think Storm Blade simply because of being their only game (till now) that I player quite a bit. But I think that, generally, one would tend to associate Vasara as being most recognizable.

I don't think there is one except that perhaps Vasara is a bit more recognizable (as already mentioned). But I haven't played any of their console games (I think).

Just a good number of fairly decent reasonably well-made games.

decent graphics, generally playable games

=========================================

On that note, I also remembered that they made a "frisbee catching game" :p and a few isometric racing games.

Another game that I didn't think they made was "Mega Twins". Wasn't this pretty solid (but I think perhaps I might be confusing this for some other early era Capcom game).

I haven't played any non-STG arcade for some years now, so that's also one of the reasons for not playing many of their games. A lot of their games would be good fun for a 1CC clear.
BIL

Post by BIL »

wiNteR wrote:On that note, I also remembered that they made a "frisbee catching game" :p and a few isometric racing games.
I wish Hamster would get the rights to their MVS stuff Image They already have Video System's, after all. :cool:
Another game that I didn't think they made was "Mega Twins". Wasn't this pretty solid (but I think perhaps I might be confusing this for some other early era Capcom game).
Mega Twins aka Chiki Chiki Boys? IIRC, that one is Capcom's (via CPS1), but I think Visco published its excellent MD port. Very fond of this cart, a rock-solid "chibi Strider" with its run n' slash and wall-climbing, and it also has some of the smoothest rainbow hues on the MD. I never did figure out how the coin values work, eventually wrote 'em off as random but that seems a bit too obvious... a great romp, in any case.
CIT

Post by CIT »

BIL wrote:I wish Hamster would get the rights to their MVS stuff Image They already have Video System's, after all. :cool:
As far as I know Neo Conception International bought the rights to VISCO's entire Neo back catalogue, in order to obtain and release Bang Bang Busters, Treasures of the Caribbean, and Andro Dunos CD. A real shame this fly-by-night operation is now hogging the rights.

At least the Breakers Collection has been announced for this year, so we will be getting arguably their best game.
Mega Twins aka Chiki Chiki Boys? IIRC, that one is Capcom's (via CPS1), but I think Visco published its excellent MD port. Very fond of this cart, a rock-solid "chibi Strider" with its run n' slash and wall-climbing, and it also has some of the smoothest rainbow hues on the MD. I never did figure out how the coin values work, eventually wrote 'em off as random but that seems a bit too obvious... a great romp, in any case.
Visco did the porting the afaik, and Sega published. Great title indeed, and its pastel brightness is indeed really rare on MD.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah yes, I remember their name appearing in Chiki's bootup, now. The other latecomer of the Sega-published CPS1 for MD sextet, along with Final Fight CD.

Oof, NCI - there's a name I've not heard in a while. Shame they're still around stinking up the joint... with the Flash-tier presentation of their Treasure of the Caribbean "salvaging," I'd assumed they couldn't have much left in the tank. My favourite commentary on ToC, and bargain bin/top dollar Neo cash-ins in general:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqARdEUAeng

"Looks like a shit version of puyo puyo."

"Its unique, so worth to have."

I had to go look up this thing, just to make sure it wasn't theirs, too. Easy to get your French Neo Geo opportunists mixed up. Image (no offense meant to our French members! poor Xyga has apologised for his less honourable countrymen in the past, the shame is not his to bear :lol:)
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Treasure of the Caribbean is by Face, isn't it?

CIT wrote: Another game I really like is Storm Blade. More out of nostalgia, as it was the only shmup in my hometown arcade, but the game is really solid (if a bit easy) nonethless. Basically, it could be considered a beefed up Sonic Wings.
How do you play Storm Blade these days? Cause last I heard Mame isn't emulating SSV's main CPU properly and therefore the slowdowns are absent in all its games, so it'd be a harder game through emulation?
CIT

Post by CIT »

I 1cc'd the first loop in the arcade and on MAME (many years ago). The game is pretty easy, so the slowdowns shouldn't be crucial to clearing it. One of the boards I'd like to acquire, but unfortunately it's a tad on the rare/expensive side.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Treasure of the Caribbean is by Face, isn't it?
My bad, you are right of course!
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Do you remember if the PCB's framerate ever slowdowns?
CIT

Post by CIT »

I'm afraid I don't remember. It's been too long.
andsuchisdeath

Post by andsuchisdeath »

CIT wrote: My absolute favorite VISCO game is Breakers Revenge. It's basically the closest thing the Neo Geo has to Street Fighter Alpha 2 (or a next gen version of Fighters History Dynamite).
Well put! Though I've always viewed Breakers as the closest thing to the alpha series on the Neo Geo, I really like your "next gen version of Fighter's History Dynamite" comment.

Breakers, more or less, is my favorite fighting game. Though, not the most balanced fighter ever (few are, and balance plays only a small part into what fighting games I enjoy, and why anyway), I can't think of another fighter that does practically everything I want, the way I want it.

Whether it be the physics, movement options, art style, damage level, sound, combo engine (cool links, very chainable normals that are done with enough restraint/limitation where it's smooth, but not too smooth if you know what I mean). Useful command normals that work well in pressure strings for high/low games...

It's fluid, but not too fluid, flashy, but hardly overdoing flash..

I think it very much meets the expectation of what a fighting game should be for late 1996/1997 on the Neo Geo. Impressive considering VISCO had never made any fighting games before.

As far as the rest of VISCO's catalogue, I really like Ashura Blaster, Andro Dunos and Storm Blade.

I haven't spent enough time with either of the Vasara games, and I really want to play Galdmedes and Earth Joker.

Sorry for the rant

VISCO
RULES
Marc

Post by Marc »

No mention of Neo Mr Do? For shame! Love that game.
You've all gotten me curious about Ganryu and Breakers though, going to have to try those out.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
andsuchisdeath

Post by andsuchisdeath »

Marc wrote:No mention of Neo Mr Do? For shame! Love that game.
You've all gotten me curious about Ganryu and Breakers though, going to have to try those out.
I don't think I've ever played more than a credit of either Neo Mr. Do or Ganryu. I should change that.

Also, even though I know you've had that avatar forever I want to express that I think Planes Mistaken For Stars rules.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

I adore Drift Out 94. Neo is good too, but with a 2 way stick, I much prefer 94. Also I quite enjoy Andro Dunos. Its nothing special as a Neo game. But its simple blasting fun.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I'm too underrating the difficulty in Storm Blade. The game is on manageable side for an arcade game, but once you start facing last two stages with No-miss, lots of aimed fast bullets coming at you. I think the speed is around same as Same!^3 1P side, just how brutal it was.
CIT

Post by CIT »

SuperDeadite wrote:I adore Drift Out 94. Neo is good too, but with a 2 way stick, I much prefer 94.
I'm curious about the differences between '94 and Neo. Could you elucidate them a bit more?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Also, how an 8 way stick cannot work perfectly fine as a 2 way only stick.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Drift Out '94 didn't use a steering wheel controller?

There's a Super Drift Out for SFC?
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

CIT wrote:
SuperDeadite wrote:I adore Drift Out 94. Neo is good too, but with a 2 way stick, I much prefer 94.
I'm curious about the differences between '94 and Neo. Could you elucidate them a bit more?
Neo and '94 have very different handling. Most people that started with Neo tend to find adjusting to '94 very difficult.
'94 is a lot more snappy and unforgiving. Very hard to recover from a mistake. But '94 was specifically meant for a 2-way stick, while Neo needed to be playable on an 8 way being MVS.

'94 is has a lot more content and variety. Graphics looks cleaner and more high res then Neo. '94 just feels much more like a complete game, while Neo really feels like a game meant to fill an empty MVS slot in comparison.

But Neo still is a great game too. I love them both. In the end Neo is more pick up and play, while '94 is more of a long term game.
It's quite interesting just how differently the two of them are.

SFC Drift Out is alright uses Mode 7.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Thanks for the rundown! So in a nutshell, they are different enough to make them both worthwhile.

I really dig these isometric racers and just picked up 1000 Miglia as well, which really gives a great sense of speed. From what you say about the controls it seems more in line with DO94’s style.
KAI

Post by KAI »

DO94 is A E S T H E T I C

I've always asociated Visco's name with their top down racers, they are the best on the genre imo.