Streets of Rage 4

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Mischief Maker

Re: Streets of Rage 4

Post by Mischief Maker »

DLC release date July 15th.

New survival mode trailer. (Roguelite?)

8 bucks.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Might have to dust this one off again and try the DLC I agree with some of the earlier comments above; its a fun game but nothing super special which I couldn't put down for months on end - got a few clears with different characters and called it good, I had a long way to go to master the mechanics. Endless shield enemies got a little annoying, as did some of the long drawn out boss fights.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Mr. X Nightmare DLC first impressions:

You get 3 new characters: Estel who specializes in delayed-reaction moves. Max who's a heavy focused more with flinging himself at the enemies compared to Floyd who brings the enemies to him. And Shiva who's a teleporting ninja with heavy-commitment moves that are devastating done well or can leave you wide open if you're sloppy. Also Shiva auto-throws any weapon you try to pick up.

Survival mode is a roguelite mode that has you fighting a series of brawls in one-and-a-half-screen-wide arenas with random enemy and hazard placement. After each room you can pick one random perk that adds things like elemental bursts to your special moves or spawning an ally punk to fight alongside you, etc. Some of the arena rooms are memorable locations from the 16-bit games populated by 16-bit enemies with their original sprites, including many who didn't make it into vanilla SoR4.

The score you get in survival mode fills up an experience bar for the specific character you used that unlocks new moves for them. These are REPLACEMENT moves that you choose in the character selection screen in all game modes. They have different movement and juggle characteristics but don't seem superior to the base game's moveset.

I haven't seen Roo as a playable character yet, but there IS a suspicious gap in the SoR3 character list in the survival mode XP unlock screen, and Bruce/Danch the whip clown is an enemy that appears in survival mode.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

ROO CONFIRMED!

EDIT 2: Okay, so what you have to do is hold D-Pad up + punch + start button on a controller at the main menu screen to unlock Roo.

I don't know if you can do it with keyboard alone.

Clear a single stage with Roo and they stay unlocked permanently on this save.

EDIT 3: F1 + up arrow + Esc

velo

Post by velo »

Mischief Maker wrote:Mr. X Nightmare DLC first impressions:

You get 3 new characters: Estel who specializes in delayed-reaction moves. Max who's a heavy focused more with flinging himself at the enemies compared to Floyd who brings the enemies to him. And Shiva who's a teleporting ninja with heavy-commitment moves that are devastating done well or can leave you wide open if you're sloppy. Also Shiva auto-throws any weapon you try to pick up.

Survival mode is a roguelite mode that has you fighting a series of brawls in one-and-a-half-screen-wide arenas with random enemy and hazard placement. After each room you can pick one random perk that adds things like elemental bursts to your special moves or spawning an ally punk to fight alongside you, etc. Some of the arena rooms are memorable locations from the 16-bit games populated by 16-bit enemies with their original sprites, including many who didn't make it into vanilla SoR4.

The score you get in survival mode fills up an experience bar for the specific character you used that unlocks new moves for them. These are REPLACEMENT moves that you choose in the character selection screen in all game modes. They have different movement and juggle characteristics but don't seem superior to the base game's moveset.

I haven't seen Roo as a playable character yet, but there IS a suspicious gap in the SoR3 character list in the survival mode XP unlock screen, and Bruce/Danch the whip clown is an enemy that appears in survival mode.
Sounds pretty cool and more involved than I was expecting. Somehow none of the old modes felt quite right to me. Story mode seemed like the "real" game but I didn't need to do it more than once, arcade mode is awfully long (full disclosure: never cleared it), stage select/score attack mode is basically "constantly restart mode" for me at least thanks to the exacting scoring system. Survival sounds like it might be the right way to play. Is there an ending to it or a way to win?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

velo wrote:Survival sounds like it might be the right way to play. Is there an ending to it or a way to win?
I am having quite a blast with it at the moment, though it should be noted that every arena has some kind of hazard in play.

It's one-life endless survival. No win state. Each subsequent arena gets harder and harder.

Though I guess when you earn enough points for a character to fill their XP bar and unlock all their alternate moves you could call that a "win."

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Been playing this again. Ran through story mode on normal and am now actually trying a mania run. Nothing as bold as no death, but it isn't as bad as I anticipated. Currently to the art gallery and have cleared every stage my 1st go.

Strangely playing on mania actually makes you better at dealing with the mobs. Who knew?
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.